Redsand Canyon seems a pity not to take a chance
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus listened to her speak. 

in lady ruenna he found an equal pragmatist with an eye for the nuances of a situation. 

he hoped that he might remain as straightforward with the lady redleaf as he was currently. the eagle supposed she was not a redleaf — not now. there was a pressure under his breastbone that he only vaguely recalled had a name. so long it had been since it he had last experienced.

germanicus listened to her. but he felt himself misstepping, no longer thinking in tandem with himself. he nodded to her statement that his — their — auxilia should know the repercussions for wanton reproduction. "it would be a fitting first address for you to make to them."

his tones were not a command. they were only neutral. germanicus recognized at last the sensation as panic. it was a strange thought, for her presence did not engender such in him. nor had her words. nor her apt restructuring of what he had thought to be a direct way toward ranking.

it was the thought of what was to come which staggered the eagle in a way that battle had not caused. "forgive me. until very recently there was only the need for imperator and auxillary." a jest. maybe it was too dry and would crumble between them as if it were sundried clay.

at last the yellow eyes were turned upon ruenna. he was truly looking at her then, with a new openness that their agreement had unlocked. and while he did not linger too lengthily in this way, germanicus saw how the earnest nature of her voice was also in her eyes. and how her years were gathered only in her gaze, how each glance and expression held a knowingness that suggested her objectivity.

germanicus cleared his throat and nodded, glancing toward the footpath wending away from the densite. "i will need your assistance in designing civilian ranks. or, if you like, i will offer mine to you." equals. "perhaps it is their absence which has not yet brought a medic to mereo. i myself know only the most rudimentary field medicine."

the imperator went on. "the queen's bodyguard is in my employ. he may be joining us here with the woman i believe he intends to marry. i expect it will be closer to spring before they arrive."

germanicus felt as though he was rambling. he was quiet then, some vague sheen of apology on his countenance.
Messages In This Thread
seems a pity not to take a chance - by Ruenna - December 08, 2021, 11:06 AM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Germanicus - December 08, 2021, 12:34 PM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Ruenna - December 10, 2021, 07:08 PM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Germanicus - December 11, 2021, 09:55 AM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Ruenna - December 11, 2021, 10:51 AM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Germanicus - December 11, 2021, 11:33 AM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Ruenna - December 11, 2021, 11:31 PM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Germanicus - December 12, 2021, 01:04 AM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Ruenna - December 13, 2021, 07:20 PM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Germanicus - December 13, 2021, 08:42 PM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Ruenna - December 14, 2021, 09:31 PM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Germanicus - December 14, 2021, 10:32 PM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Ruenna - December 16, 2021, 06:28 PM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Germanicus - December 16, 2021, 07:11 PM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Ruenna - December 18, 2021, 08:06 PM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Germanicus - December 18, 2021, 10:06 PM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Ruenna - December 27, 2021, 04:22 PM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Germanicus - December 28, 2021, 02:32 PM
RE: seems a pity not to take a chance - by Ruenna - January 04, 2022, 10:36 AM