Dragoncrest Cliffs So hard for a good soul to survive
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
All Welcome 
@Antumbra @Blixen @Dio
Forward-dated to 1/1

Her journey here had been quiet and focused. She moved through the familiar terrain of the taiga, pain squeezing her heart when it brought up thoughts of the glacier and the family she had lost to the storm before heading north towards the sea. But that was the reason for her mission here--she wanted to find her lost loved ones and make sure they were okay. She held on to the hope that some of them had made it to the coast and were taken in by one of the packs that resided here. Taki arrived at the cliffs in the early night, the moonlight illuminating her snowy pelt and she stopped just outside the pack's borders. She hoped at the very least, she would be able to find out even just some helpful information. Whether or not she found out anything here, her plan was to move west down the coast and repeat this conversation as many times as she needed to. Never one to waste any time, she tilted her head back and released a howl for the leaders, praying that one of them might have some good news for her. She stood tall, expression impassive as she waited for whoever would answer her call.
Inuttuk
Common

Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
Well shit, look who it is! Vercingetorix called out, having not been summoned but still close enough to amble over -- and recognizing the voice. You made it!

He looked over the snowy female, face down to her legs. There was something different in her expression, something that hadn't been there before. Life perhaps hadn't been so kind to the stern girl from the glacier. 

Still, Verx grinned. They'll be around in a sec, he drawled. But how are you? What's up, girl?
Common · Trigedasleng
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She had honestly forgotten this particular male resided here--had forgotten her interest to visit Drageda was once to seek out a possible alliance, her grief temporarily blocking most of her IkKanattuk memories from her mind. She barely even cared enough to be irritated that he had again addressed her as girl; her only care right now was finding her lost family. 

Taki looked around briefly before resting her impassive gaze back on the dark male in front of her. I came only to find out information, she replied pragmatically, ignoring his inquiry into her current state. She wasn't in the mood to talk about it even with the very few wolves she trusted, and she certainly didn't want anyone's sympathy. 

A storm on the glacier separated me from my entire family, so I'm trying to find anyone that might have seen them, the northerner continued, her voice flat and devoid of the emotion currently churning in her chest at the memory of the storm and what it cost her. My sister's both look like me except for their eyes, and my two nieces and two nephews are missing too. Sos and Aningan we--are white like me, and Tunerk and Currituck are brown. There was more to their descriptions than that, but it was enough that if he had seen any of them, he would know who she was taking about. She knew she might end up having to repeat this to any leader that showed, but maybe he would be able to answer her questions.
Inuttuk
Common

Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
Well, she cooled that down real quick. Verx quirked an eyebrow at her, but otherwise said nothing, hearing her out. Upon being given the information, his face fell into something much more solemn. There was no earthly way he could--or would--ever joke about something like this.

Fuck, Takiyok, so sorry to hear that, the Cheka said quietly, shaking his head. I don't think we've had anyone around that looks like that with those names. I mean, I'll ask around, but. . . He gritted his teeth, sucking in a low, slow breath. Then he turned and howled for Antumbra once more, hoping she'd come. Maybe she had more information.

Vercingetorix turned back to the polar wolfess, still looking serious. Are you okay? Do you have any place to stay for the winter?

i just wanted Verx to caterwaul tbh
Common · Trigedasleng
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
If anyone should, it's verx

She expressed only indifference to his first sentiment, replying only with an abrupt nod. When he stated that he hadn't heard about or seen anyone matching the descriptions she gave, her heart sank. Even though it was the first place she visited, and she had tried to keep herself from being to hopeful, his answer still felt like a kick to the stomach. Taki glanced around again as he presumably called out for the leaders once more, but she had a sinking feeling she wouldn't get any different information from them.

She drew in a deep, centering breath before answering his last question. I'm fine, she lied, her voice flat once more. I have a new home in the mountains south of here, she answered next. She had ventured from her new pack's claim shortly after its inception to seek out her lost family, although even if she didn't have a home to return to, she would be fine on her own. She wasn't afraid of winter and was sure she could have survived on her own.
Inuttuk
Common

wearing my dream like a diadem in some better land.
1,195 Posts
Ooc —
Master Ranger
Tactician
Aure may have not been of higher rank, but she deemed to heed the cheka's call either way. Honestly, she didn't think she was physically able to say "no" whenever he asked something of her; and coming to his side had begun to feel like--

The white smudge she saw a whiles away made her halt.

Too far away for them to hear the little, staggered noise that left her. "H-hanar?" It couldn't be. It couldn't, she saw him fall, vanish, unable to reach for him; and before she knew it she'd started off towards them in a trot. The little she-wolf’s gait light and fleet, but a smidge hesitant, restrained.

Her trance was only broken by Verx's presence, who she gently pressed against on her arrival. She was right there, within reach, and her mouth was a ghostly presence at his broad, marred shoulder. "Ĕrĕmelda," she breathed, her birth-tongue making her voice airy, wisping. Tender.

But then her attention was snagged by the pale-and-cream before her, and her voice died in her throat once again. ...Not him. It wasn't the same heft, the same, feathery token of his coat that they'd been adorned in. Her words sounded far-away, her spirit feeling farther, as she finally mustered a soft, "A traveler?" More of a statement than inquiry, but her eyes, a bit glazed, were unassuming besides, and open for any interpretation. And then, when the herbalist in her exuded, "How do you fare? Are you... skarnā?-- Ahm, hurt?"
Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
Takiyok, bless her. So many walls up, and he didn't blame her in the least. Especially not after this latest tragedy. He was about to fall silent, waiting for Antumbra, when another pale shape appeared--not any of the wolves they were looking for, but still a welcome sight.

His stomach clenched as Aure touched him, but he kept his face steady, glancing to her with a smile before returning his gaze to Takiyok. Her family is missing, he explained after bounkola had spoken. White wolves, a couple brown. Her sisters, nieces, and nephews.

Vercingetorix gave Aure a long stare, wondering why she seemed so transfixed by the northern woman. Did you see them, on your trip?
Common · Trigedasleng
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Their strained at best conversation was interrupted when a similarly-colored woman approached, speaking something foreign to Vercingetorix as she pressed against him. The way the other woman looked at her was weird, and it reminded her of the strange, injured man that she had spoken with before she left Diaspora--the one she wasn't sure would stick around or repay their kindness; it didn't exactly warm her to the stranger. She offered the newcomer a stiff nod, tensing when she asked if Taki was injured. She knew she would most likely have to repeat her reason for being here, but the thought of it still made her chest tighten painfully; it was hard to be stoic as she spoke the words, and she didn't like being vulnerable in front of anyone she didn't trust. Thankfully the inky male saved her from a painful recount by summarizing everything to the new stranger. Taki relaxed a little, deciding that she maybe liked the male a little more now. 

When he asked if the other wolf had seen any of her family on whatever trip she must have been on recently, the northerner's fiery gaze rested on her face, studying her expression as she waited for her answer.
Inuttuk
Common

1,195 Posts
Ooc —
Master Ranger
Tactician
Whether dragă referred to her most recent trip with Tux or her several excursions before Drageda, she hadn’t seen any distinct souls of those that Verx referred to. Would that she had seen them, she would have told this seeker everything, regardless of the yearning for kin that blazed in her amber eyes. "No, I... haven't come across either. As your family, they must be as singular as yourself." Her words were neither compliment or insult, merely a practical fact she stated by who was before her. Aure knew that look—the feeling still tore her open, made her frigid, wont for nothing but any information on her brother. There was nothing, nobody she wanted more to seek out, breathe alongside again and feel in her narrow and spirit that they were enlivened.

But if this wanderess had seen Vonnaruil, she might not be willing to tell her. After all, when you were bordering on desperate tirades that constantly bore nothing to follow on, why give somebody else the chance to reunite with one’s blood that much more swiftly? Aure... wouldn’t blame her, if that was the case. Couldn’t bring herself to. Wouldn’t bring herself to give her condolences, either—if she were this female, she’d have become sick of it, personally.

Regardless, she entreated, ”I also search for family. For my brother, one named Vonn.” A clarity came to her eyes, hesitant and modest, as she became reserved once more. ”I mistook you for him, from afar. He... looks as I do,” unable to hold Takiyok’s gaze as she reluctantly brought attention to herself, their story. But it needed to be done, so she minced it as finely as she could. Her tone, as Takiyok’s refused pity:

”We—I arrived to ze Wilds three months ago. We come from ze far north, and meant to traverse through an icefields; Vonn...” Tried to keep her face more impassive, but the struggle of it was evident with how she stumbled through her words as her brother had stumbled into his fate. ”Vonn fell through a crevasse. Ever since then, I have searched for him, inquired of him, as I believe he may have survived.” 

A muscle flickered in her jaw, before finally turned back to peer at the porcelain female. Some passion filtered its way through the thinning frost of her attempt at seeming withdrawn. ”Have you chanced upon him?”
Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
He was disappointed, for Takiyok's sake, that Aure hadn't seen her family. And then bounkola continued with an inquiry of her own, about her lost brother, and his ears perked, wondering what the answer would be. Could he have ended up here, too? Takiyok seemed fairly well traveled; it was a possibility that she had seen the young man.

Vercingetorix, for his part, remained quiet, waiting for whatever answer came next.
Common · Trigedasleng
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
There was no hiding the disappointment she felt at hearing that the other woman had not seen her family during her travels, although she wasn't exactly surprised. It was a long shot anyway, but that didn't make it hurt any less. She gave a stiff nod in response, very careful to keep any emotion from her face. Here wasn't really the place to give into her grief; she could do that later when she traveled the frigid coast in solitude where only the sea would bear witness to her sadness. 

The woman began to speak again, telling Taki of her own missing family. Missing those that shared your blood was like missing a piece of yourself, and it seemed this wolf shared in that torment. Taki listened silently while the Drageda wolf told her sad story, feeling a flicker or realization when she mentioned the name Vonn. So when she asked the northerner whether or not she had seen her brother, Taki nodded. Vonn, yes. I think I know the wolf you speak of--He was staying with my pack in the mountains healing from an injury, she explained, lifting her snowy muzzle in the direction of Diasopra. He was set to leave, and I do not expect he'll be there when I return home, but you're welcome to go there with my blessing and ask my pack if they know where he has gone, she offered. The leader Stigmata had the most contact with him, and so he may know more. If you tell him I sent you there, he should gladly offer you the information you seek. She was pretty sure she wouldn't need to mention Taki's name, as Stigmata didn't seem like the type to keep such information to himself, but it wouldn't hurt either. I should be home in a few days as well, and can help facilitate things should you decide to come to the mountains seeking answers after I return home. She knew what is was like to have no idea whether your kin was alive or dead, and so she would help this woman as much as she was able.
Inuttuk
Common

1,195 Posts
Ooc —
Master Ranger
Tactician
If there was any calamity within the traveler’s ivory face, she did well to conceal it, leaving Aure none the wiser. As for Aurëwen herself... it became evident that, at her very self, she wasn’t as  wintry as she seemed. Couldn’t ever be, because somewhere between the words ”yes” and ”I know” her arctic façade thawed, brow knitted. Eyes became bleary, unseeing, as a thin breath shivered from her airless lungs.

As Takiyok went on, her expression fractured into quivery wonderment. It was one thing to hold an ever-waning belief; to have it become known as truth was... devastating in itself. No sound came from her, except for another soft, muted gasp. ”P-please, forgive me.” She wouldn’t let herself cry here, not with the situation still at hand. In a graceless attempt to remember herself, she tried to straighten her wilted posture, ”Your generosity, ze prospect of your blessing—is more than appreciated. O-of course I will name you when I may seek Stigmata out. I couldn’t ever fathom doing anything but.”

Then, the Diaspore continued, and spoke of ensuring information and all else, for her, for Vonn’s sake. Only just reviving herself from the first account, now she was left blinking fervently through the glacier-maid’s second tangent. This time, the words alit on her conscience with an earnest tone. Not so much as an oath as it was practical, logical, to get her where she needed to be. Nonetheless, nobody had ever offered to go for such lengths for her with this, strangers or no.

That was what finally rifted a fissure in her. Sure, it was probably all but a dipolmatic, sincere manuevre that was common between those who searched for the same thing. But Aure wasn't used to it, and it meant her heart ached with appreciation for it.

So much she wanted to say, but didn’t quite, didn’t know how. Instead, she turned from them both to drift a moment's reach or so away, emotion emnating through the wisping frailness of her body. ”There... there is so much that I must do here within ze coming weeks, if I am to depart at some point. I-I'm sure something may be arranged, regardless,” her airy voice dawdling back to the pair, a little more than overwhelmed; punctuated a word or so with a fluttery shrug of her shoulders.

Throat muscles and jaw strained to work, to continue, unable to even think properly. As it was, Aure didn’t quite have the emotional fortitude to make her way back over to them. At least, until she regained some semblance of herself, when her thoughts weren't so flighty. Gathering herself back again—or whatever poise she still had left—she regarded Takiyok from over a sharp shoulder. Mulțumesc.” There was enough in that single, foreign word to be taken as some kind of gratitude, and she lent it to Takiyok with a soulful gaze. What else could she say to the wanderer, with her poor words and poor mind?

Her mind flickered along the thread of What can I do to ensure that she endures on her own search? She contemplated for a moment... "We have just replenished our supply of herbs, I believe. I'm more than certain that we have ze type used for travelling." The little she-wolf allowed the suggestion to hang between them, her tone courteous and indulgent once more.
Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
His jaw dropped as Takiyok not only knew of Vonn, but had been with him quite recently. His bi-colored eyes drifted to Aure, taking in her rapidly-morphing expressions, and continued to flicker between the two women, completely engrossed in the conversation at hand. The sheer joy in the air was infectious, and he felt his heart beat quicker with it.

That's great news, Verx told Takiyok, beaming. He turned to Aure, only to find that she had drifted away, consumed by emotion. Spinning slowly, he gave the northern woman a muted look of apology. She. . . It means a lot to her, Takiyok. Thank you.

But it wasn't all settled. Takiyok's family was still very much missing, and he felt horrible he couldn't help her out further. I promise I'll keep looking for your folks, he said fervently. Antumbra still wasn't here, and probably wasn't coming, busy with something or another. And I'll tell everyone here to keep their eyes out. You have my word on that.
Common · Trigedasleng
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
There was too much thanking and too much emotion; it made her very uncomfortable even though she completely understood how the other woman must be feeling right now. She would give anything to see any of her family right now, and if someone had just offered her such information, she would be feeling very gracious as well. Still, Taki was always careful to keep such strong emotions locked away inside until she felt it safe to release them. She was unsure what to say or do as Aure turned away from them in her emotional state. Luckily, Vercingetorix began to speak, saving Taki the discomfort, and she offered a stiff nod in response to his thanks. When he stated he and his pack would keep a look out, she nodded once more and replied with a quiet, Thank you. It was more than she could have ever asked from them, and she was grateful he had offered.

The Drageda woman finally composed herself enough to speak, and she offered Taki herbs to take with her as payment for her information. That's not really necessary, she replied, shaking her head a little. She didn't want to deal with the hassle of carrying them during her journey. She had a feeling the other woman might insist, so she quickly tried to think of an alternative. But, you can just owe me a favor, Taki offered. A favor would be much more valuable to the northerner.
Inuttuk
Common

1,195 Posts
Ooc —
Master Ranger
Tactician
last post from meee <33

She’d made her way back as Verx assured then Diasporian himself; and when the properties were declined, Aure merely nodded, now quiet. Situating herself alongside the cheka once more, Takiyok suddenly brought up the matter of a favor. Without missing a beat, Aure was nodding again, pale gaze already flaring with promise. ”Y-yes. Desigur—of course. What you have given me is...”

Promptly, voice hoarse with gratitude and unable to finish herself, she instead gave a gracious dip of her head, a bittersweet, faint curling of her lips. ”You may place your faith in me, prietenul meu. I will be at your beck and call, as I may be.” The vow was not unlike the one she had sworn for Tux, but she’d meant every word of it. ”You will find your family, voyager,” a sureness to her voice where she hadn’t yet learned a name. She would have to inquire Verx of it later, her ivory neck to level her eyes with the Diaspore once again. 

And speaking of Verx... she curved her neck to peer up into his finely-made face. There was an easy, serene solace about her that hadn’t ever truly been there before today. Despite having company—and with great restraint because of it—she stretched up to nestle her scarred cheek into the strong, familiar column of his throat. If he hadn’t been here with her today, with his unwavering presence... she didn’t know how she would’ve amended herself today.

It only lasted two heartbeats, however, but bashfulness hummed through her nonetheless, an as she pulled away, she couldn’t quite meet either of their gazes anymore. Softly biting at her lip, she seemed to give Takiyok one last, warm dip of her head, before she murmured a farewell and began to trail her way, slowly, back to the red cradle of winter sequoias.

Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
He couldn't help but smile at Aure's touch, an inscrutable look flitting over his face that hadn't quite been there before. She turned to leave, and he gave Takiyok one last nod. Take care, Vercingetorix said sincerely. You'll be back on top of the world soon enough.

Verx waited until the northern woman had departed, and then followed Aure, strides lengthening to catch up with her.
Common · Trigedasleng
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Aure agreed to her proposal, and Taki gave a dip of her head in thanks, watching as the strange woman turned and left. She nodded once more in response to Vercingetorix's sentiment, turning then to head west and continue her search. Something he said stuck with her--you'll be on top of the world soon enough. Once that may have been her goal, but now she would settle for being with her family again; there was nothing she wanted more and there were no lengths she wouldn't go to get them back. That thought fueled her steps as she made her way down the coast to what would hopefully be the answers she so desperately sought.
Inuttuk
Common