Stone Circle Nobody's even lookin' me in my eyes
200 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
By the time Lucas finished at Diaspora and made his way down to the next pack in the valley, hunger was becoming his constant companion. The last time he ate anything significant was when they were stopped near Swiftcurrent Creek, before he decided to go try to find Merrick on his own. What a foolish idea, in hindsight. He could hardly hunt well enough to have one meal every day. How had he ever expected to go out on his own and find his missing cousin? It seemed absurd now.

There was a peckish glint in his eyes as he stopped outside Easthollow's borders, knowing that if he didn't find his family here he would need to beg for help to find food. Give him one or two other wolves and he was certain they could get enough food to supply the pack and replenish his energy, but Lucas was hopeless on his own. He didn't want to have to do that. But even the ever-eager Lucas Redleaf had his limits.

The howl he sent up was a weary one, as if he already knew the answer to his query. He felt sure that if Diaspora hadn't taken them in then no one had. Perhaps he should have just continued on to Bearclaw Valley, but if they weren't there then he would be alone and hungry. Or he would have to face Nunataq again if she was still there. He wasn't ready for it.
THREADS: 1/3
you're the unbreakable heart
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Her pregnancy was getting heavier by the day, though the weight placed upon her shoulder was largely not her children's fault but Indra's. She tried to convince Laurel these children should not live but Laurel was convinced that they would be fine. It wasn't like the dark man who haunted her nightmares would raise them. She would raise them, and she would give them all of her love.

Laurel was just digging up something to eat from a cache (she was glad to have a pack, fearful what the odds would have had in store for her children if not for Easthollow) when she heard the call sound. As fast as she could in her pregnant state Laurel started making her way to the borders. She was a little disappointed in Lucas when he had left them again like that, though it didn't show on her face when he came into view; she just smiled at him, her tail wagging happily.

He was alone, so she could only guess that he hadn't succeeded in his plans. It didn't matter. He was here now.
200 Posts
Ooc —
Imagine the boy's surprise when the wolf who came to greet him was his mother. Her belly had dropped considerably in the time he'd searched for them; his gaze was concerned as it wandered over her waddling figure, but he smiled warmly when they shifted up to her face. He knew she was likely unhappy with him for leaving, and that little voice in his head seized upon that knowledge and gnawed on it, telling him he was bad and all he did was hurt others, but he kept that well hidden from his face.

Hi mama, he greeted her, swinging his tail in a jovial arc. Just before disappearing, Lucas and his siblings had been brought to Easthollow on a little field trip. He didn't realize that's where he was now; he'd been much too interested in the humongous Greyback and whispering with Merrick to notice the stones standing in the distance then. I made a mistake, he said. I want to stay here with you and aunt Indra. I want to take care of my baby brothers and sisters. I want to look for Merrick, too... but I can do that in my spare time rather than leaving you all to do it all the time.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
It was always hard to be mad at her more favourite children when they stood right in front of her. Now that Lucas was back it didn't seem to matter that he had left, that he'd been silly and foolish. No, now he stood here and she was just happy that he was home. She closed the distance between them to engulf him in a hug even as he spoke and said that he had made a mistake by leaving. It didn't matter now -- it was all okay now.

Lucas decided that he'd stay here with her and Indra and help being a big brother now. Oh, Lucas, I'm so glad, Laurel said with a happy sigh and she nosed the fur along his spine, preening like only a mother could.
200 Posts
Ooc —
A content murmur crawled up his throat in response to his mother's ministrations, followed by Lucas' reaching around and sloppily licking the side of her face. How could he have been so selfish? He believed at the time that his aunt needed him more—the sadness on her face had been so poignant—but she wasn't about to have more children. She could, if she wished, search for Merrick as well. Laurel was and couldn't.

Do you think they'll let me stay here? Lucas asked, peering past her taupe shoulder to the stones in the distance. What is this place anyway?
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Lucas asked if they would let him stay here, and Laurel was quick to say: Of course they will! She did not doubt that Valette's surprising but comforting warmth would extend to her son, too. If she would take in a relative stranger who was pregnant without question, then one young strong male shouldn't be a problem either.

This is Easthollow. The leader is a woman who is family... Somewhere down the line. Laurel smiled lightly. She didn't entirely understands Valette's soft nature and why she would take them in, but she had saved the lives of her babies; that much was clear.
200 Posts
Ooc —
Laurel's certainty put her son at ease. He took some time to step back from her and scan the flowery meadow they stood in. It reminded him somewhat of Bearclaw Valley with its openness, but it lacked the security of tall cliffs to serve as natural walls. Off in the distance, even further than the towering stones at the territory's heart, he could see what looked like tree tops. A nice stretch of land from first appearances, but it could have been a barren desert and Lucas would still be happy with it so long as it meant being with his loved ones.

Oh, cool! More family, that's awesome! Lucas truly had no concept of just how much family could be found in the Teekon Wilds; almost everywhere you looked there was a relative, but he wasn't aware of the vast majority of them. The half on his father's side may as well have not existed, given Lucas hadn't even known his father. He assumed, therefore, that @Valette was related through his mom. That name sounds familiar, he mused, and then his eyes lit up. Oh, did we visit here when we were little?

Tagging Valette for joining! Lucas is deceased as of a later thread, so this is more of an IC formality because it's what makes sense for him at the time. OOC he doesn't need to be added to the ranks at all. ^_^
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette trotted to the howl. She had not expected a howl but since she was needed she decided that it was worth checking her out. Once the female reached the right location she saw Laurel standing there with a younger individual. A male. Valette looked curious as she approached. "Laurel," she greeted and then looked at the young man. She smiled kindly at him before glancing at Laurel. "One of yours?," she asked. Letting them explain the situation.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Lucas seemed excited at the prospect of more family, as he often was; he was such a precious boy. Just wanted to love everyone. Valette arrived soon after and Laurel looked at her leader when she arrived. After a respectful dip of her head she said, Yes. This is my son, Lucas. Laurel was confident that Valette would let him in before, but now she grew a little nervous, especially after all the rejection they had faced on the way until they'd been taken in at Easthollow.
200 Posts
Ooc —
Lucas and Laurel didn't have time for any more catching up before Valette arrived. The dark-haired pack leader was promptly on the scene and swift to identify him as a Redleaf too. Lucas beamed at her with a wide sweep of his tail. Laurel did a good job introducing him, but her son was a talkative sort and quickly added, Hi miss! I'd like to join and be with my family. I can help out! I'm really good at dancing and singing— Useless skills, admittedly, for anything but cheering others up, —and I'm told I'm a good listener.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette's eyes fell on a rather happy boy who was wagging his tail at her. The female raised her brows in surprise when he stated that dancing and singing was one of his talents. The matriarch briefly glanced at Laurel. Were they truly related? He seemed the complete opposite of Laurel, at least, what she had seen from the female. Valette cleared her throat. "I see," she spoke kindly to the young wolf. She couldn't really deny one of Laurel's youngsters, did she? Her brother had really fathered too many children. "Well, perhaps we can see if you like hunting or other trades as well," she offered. He was young, he could learn. "Welcome to Easthollow, Lucas!

So I shouldn't add him to the ranks?
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel seemed to be glowing at the sight of Lucas; happier than she had been ever since arriving here at Easthollow. For however brief it would last, she would be happy to have her little family complete again. Lucas filled in on his skills and Laurel chuckled a little when he mentioned dancing and singing. She didn't miss Valette's look of surprise in her direction, though ignored it as best she could (was she really that un-fun? she tucked it away for now, though it would gnaw at her conscience later). She could imagine it might be hard to see the pair of them related for anything other than the colour of their fur.

Valette easily accepted him, even though he mostly mentioned the skills that weren't all that useful. There seemed to be no bounds to Valette's open heart, and Laurel could not help but smile at her. There was gratitude in her expression as she said, Thank you, Valette. This means a lot to me. Life had taught Laurel that men could not be trusted, and most women could not either.. but maybe there were select few that she could trust, and perhaps her new Alpha was one of them. Time would tell, but Laurel felt blissfully optimistic for a moment there; probably the first time she felt this good since Iliksis had happened.
200 Posts
Ooc —
Nope, no need to add him to the ranks!

Some wolves might deem Lucas' skill set "ill-suited" to pack life, but those wolves were also the sort to underestimate the power of high morale. He may not have been good for much, but he was at least good for keeping spirits high. Valette seemed to understand that, for she accepted him pretty painlessly with just a suggestion that he might like doing something else. Lucas knew himself and knew what he was good at and what he was cut out for, but he was willing to try anything once.

Thank you! he chirped with a pleased wag of his tail. And that was that. Having never truly joined a pack before, Lucas was somewhat at a loss for what to do next, so with an ever-so-slightly awkward smile at the Matriarch, he turned to Laurel and asked, can I get the grand tour? His heavily pregnant mother probably wasn't the best wolf to be showing him around, but she was the only wolf that really mattered to him when it really came down to it, so looking to her for guidance was automatic.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded shortly when the enthusiastic male wanted a tour. Valette wouldn't mind giving him one. He would probably make excellent friends with Arlette who had the same excitable vibe as him. The dark female motioned to follow him. As usual, she would start with their showstopper piece, the stone circle.

Plus the views would give a good idea of their landscape and how they were using it. The fields were mostly hunting grounds while the forest was for their dens and secluded nature. "Follow me," she offered with a smile.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel smiled as Lucas was accepted into the pack and asked for the grand tour. It solidified her trust in Valette as a just leader. Laurel herself had been this kind to just anyone knocking on her pack's borders but it seemed to work, somehow. Laurel still felt as if she would get betrayed at some point; as if someone would stab her in the back the first moment they got. It was a feeling that was hard to shake after a lifetime of being betrayed at some point. Still, though, Valette deserved a shot here. She seemed like a good woman, and the fact she was a woman already put her a big leap ahead of any other leader Laurel had fallen under. Maybe she'd actually do the family good.

I'm so happy you're home, Laurel said, using the word 'home' without realising it. Home was perhaps just their little family, wherever they went. But home was also Easthollow in that moment, and it was the first time that she ever called it that.

my last post!