Dragoncrest Cliffs But if 'is' wasn't
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
Set like... A couple hours after this thread give or take? As such, no megarush I guess if you need to figure out what happens there. XD If somehow it ends up conflicting with the other thread somehow, can baleet, just LMK.

She hadn't been gone very long but when she'd come back, Vex had been gone from where she'd last seen him. But the snow went and made the distances seem much longer, and it did all kinds of things to time. It was harder to tell what time it even was. She'd called but there'd been no response -- again. Why hadn't he just stayed nearby? Why did he keep walking? A new complication. She was not going home without either of her children. Not gonna happen. So, priorities changed.

The storm hadn't slackened since she'd noticed he was gone, lovely luck there.  On the one hand, at least her previous travels meant she had an idea of where Vex wasn't so going roughly the opposite way was pretty much the only option. The weather had done a good job ruining scents overall, it was hard to tell how old things were, but Vex's scent had ambled sort of this way in little fractured bits, but it was certainly clear there was a pack here. So there really wasn't much of a choice. So there at the borders she howled, for @Vex, for @Haunt, or for whatever person or persons might be here if not them. Arbiter was tired. Frustrated. She wanted to be able to tuck herself up in a dry den, with all her children present and accounted for. And if somehow she could bring Terance back she'd be ok with that too.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
for my timeline's sake, this also occurs before Regin disappears then <3

Apparently Rosalyn would make it there first.  The snow was still coming down thick and she was loathe to pull herself from shelter, but she couldn't ignore the summons when it called to the young wolves who she'd met earlier that day.  One a re-meeting, yet the first with real conversation.

She pushed her way through the elements to where Arbiter waited and watched as the strange woman appeared from the gloom.  She cut an imposing figure.

You are looking for two wolves?  Why?  She asked, ready with a guess but not with specifics.  My name is Rosalyn, my wife and I lead this pack.  At one time crew would have rolled off her tongue more smoothly, but it no longer rested to the forefront.
348 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Deerstalker
Tracker
Trapper
She fed, then rested, glad for Vex's company even if they were both still reeling from the news. Perhaps that wasn't the right word, in her case. There was a small part of her—the inner child, who'd worshiped the ground Kaertok walked on—which mourned him. But mostly she had borrowed her brother's anger and felt bitter resentment. They would never get their answers and there was no hope for any kind of reconciliation now. Kaertok would rot in his grave, despised by his own kin forevermore.

Arbiter's distant voice caused Haunt to sit up quickly. Despite the meal, she swayed a little as she rose onto all fours, her head swimming. She paused a moment to let the feeling pass, then exchanged a look with Vex before springing from the den. "Coming!" she thought to howl as she embarked through the deep snow, hoping the wind wouldn't drown out her voice.

Despite her rocky relationship with her mother, Haunt was definitely glad to see her. "Mom," she said, nodding to Rosalyn before moving to touch her snout to Arbiter's. "I'm okay." She was a little worse for wear, though she would live. "I didn't mean to run off. I was hunting when I got one of my headaches. Rosalyn saved me." Her yellow eyes cut to the scarred woman. She made no mention of Kaertok's role in the matter, nor indeed of his demise.

Trying to catch Vex's eye as well, Haunt decided now was a good time to let all three of them know, "I'm going to stay here. Rosalyn and Erzulie took care of me and I want to repay them." She didn't know how Arbiter would take this news, nor whether Vex would choose to stay or go. She supposed their reactions were entirely up to them, of course, but she'd made up her mind—before ever learning of Kaertok's death, which was immaterial—days ago, when talking with Njord.
the wayward son
123 Posts
Ooc — delaney
vex is a maelstrom of feelings: of anger and bitterness and sorrow, stewing over it when he and when he's not hunting for him and haunt. the hunts gives him a few moments of reprieve of the endless churning but it never lasts. he picks at his meals as he tries to figure out what to do now. for so long his main mission had been find kaertok and by stroke of luck he'd found haunt and kaertok only to have his father ripped from him before he can speak to him. for vex, it was never resentment at the core. it was the feeling that he wasn't good enough of a son, of looking up to kaertok and being left with the hollow horror of being abandoned.

but maybe kigipigak was right. maybe kaertok had been the weak one all along.

he follows haunt out of the den they'd been sharing, wading thru the snow in her footsteps to where rosalyn and just past her arbiter await. he is glad to see that his mother's alive but he struggles to process his emotions. he is quiet as haunt explained to arbiter what happened and then after catching his eye, admitted that she wanted to stay. for a moment he's silent, and looks from haunt, to arbiter, to rosalyn and then back to arbiter.

i want to stay, too. i can keep an eye on haunt, he offers his sister a cheeky grin that doesn't quite touch his eyes. it was hard to summon the energy to be his usual self right now. if...they'll take me. he looks to rosalyn then, though suspects that arbiter would have some strong objections to it.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
If at some point she had thought Terance's scars were too many, the woman that appeared seemed to be at least similarly mauled by time. But at what Arbiter was asked, she blinked. It was a particularly silly question, at least from Arbiter's perspective. Of course the other woman might not know, but it wasn't like she'd pulled a Kaertok -- Arbiter had gone after her missing daughter, and her son was only a few hours missing at most. So perhaps her response was a little more terse than some (then again, it was also Arbiter, so was it different than normal?), Because -- Haunt's howl cut in here, she paused to confirm, ear twitching that way, -- they're my children. The fact she was tired of all of this chasing them around also probably didn't help. It had been trying, not that either Vex nor Haunt had realized it. But frustration didn't excuse everything, unfortunately. So she let out a long breath and continued with a bow of her head, I am Arbiter, of Legion. I'm just looking to find them and get them home safely again. Again, long trip.

Spotting two figures forming out of the storm, her attention was drawn away, and after a moment or two longer her tail started to wag. It wasn't a frantic, full-bodied type of wag because Arbiter was reserved sort of wolf, but being able to see her children moving under their own power to her was certainly a good thing. Haunt was the one who came up to her, and after her touch, she leaned over to nuzzle the girl, and look her over just to be sure she really was okay. At the brief pause she interjected, I'm glad you're okay but how far had you gone? You should be sticking to the territory until we can make them stop happening. It was pretty normal motherly concern run through the usual Arbiter filter. 

She'd looked to Vex, about to tell him to get his butt over here too when Haunt kept talking. Blink x2. Hell, it gave Vex time to talk too. What. Her tail had stopped wagging, and she looked between them a few times. What. But what does that mean for you -- for you both? How long would you be here? A look to Rosalyn briefly -- had she put this thought in their heads? And back to the pair, How am I supposed to make sure that you're both safe when you're this far from home? Let alone teach you. Her eyes stopped on Vex. What about his wanting to learn to lead? Of course, she wasn't happy about any of this, but that long-worn frustration was supreme. What had she done that had caused them to so often run away? Didn't they realize how that made her feel? It didn't make sense.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
The boy had said that his mother was searching for him, but she'd needed to be sure.  She wasn't sure she appreciated the way the woman's tone cut, but she did not shift from her neutral stare as a howl announced they'd soon be joined.  Looking to find them and get them home safely again.  She knew the feeling that came with seeking lost children.

She stepped back and aside, allowing the mother full rein to fuss over her children.  Sapphique had been a harbor to a few wayward children now and Rosalyn had presented her fair share of deliveries; she didn't mind their departing, though she did not say this aloud.  She was surprised, however, to hear Haunt voice her own opinion; that she wished to stay and to repay the favor.

She couldn't help but feel slightly irritated at Arbiter's reaction.  It was unwarranted; the mother had a right to wish to train her own children.  But in it the pirate saw a slight at her own pack, an insinuation that the cliffs were not fit to train two such as these.  Did she know them so well?  They'd lost much these last few days, but they were capable.

You would be welcome.  She said smoothly, looking at Vex.  Then she turned to Arbiter.  If you think us unfit to host your children, you are mistaken. She said, a touch coolly.  But I will not keep them from you, if they wish to return.  This last she relented on, only slightly.  She had some sympathy, but at least she would know where her children were and that they were well acquitted.
348 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Deerstalker
Tracker
Trapper
As good as it was to see her mother, Haunt felt the same old irritation when the she-wolf immediately began trying to control her narrative again. She took a breath and paused, meeting Vex's eyes before her attention swept back to Arbiter. She tried to remind herself that what came across as a will to control them was more of a bid to keep her offspring safe. But Haunt's ability to sympathize was finite, as she'd never been a mother. And they were old enough to make a decision like this for themselves.

Ignoring the patronizing questions that preceded it, Haunt insisted, "They saved my life and looked after me, mom." Her yellow eyes drifted to Rosalyn. Did she look a little irked? Well, no wonder. Arbiter hadn't even thanked her for that and now she was implying the wolves of Sapphique wouldn't be able to look after their own. She thought of the bear and said under her breath, "They're more than capable," of both fighting and protecting.

Focusing on her mother again, softening a little, she spoke truthfully, "I haven't had a headache in days. I think the ocean air has helped. But I'm still pretty weak, so I don't think I should travel yet, especially not in this weather. We're safe here," she repeated, "and I want to stay as long as it takes to repay them. Then we'll come back to the bypass, if we're welcome."
the wayward son
123 Posts
Ooc — delaney
it comes as no surprise to vex that their plights to join the wolves of sapphique are meant with a resolute rejection from arbiter while rosalyn gives her blessing that he, too, can stay. in hindsight, having asked arbiter for leadership lessons how many ever days prior only to voice that he wants to stay in sapphique with haunt was kind of contradicting. i know i asked for leadership lessons, he begins after everyone else spoke, slipping it in when he finds the opening to address arbiter's concern and questions himself. but maybe sapphique's leaders can teach me while we're here. of course maybe that was a lot to ask of strangers but at this point he was merely looking to placate arbiter. he wasn't really concerned about his own demand bribe desires.

haunt was right: she wasn't in any fit state to travel that distance. not right now, at least; and this might be a good chance for vex to learn some discipline and humility which he was sorely lacking in despite arbiter's best attempts. there was lessons to be learned in living with a pack of strangers ...something he had never encountered before; and this was different than any time previous. at least arbiter would know where they were. visits could be made if not by her than by any one of legion.

vex doesn't understand, mostly because he can't. he isn't a parent ...and even then, kaertok had left them. at first of his own free will and now with his death. kaertok had never babied them and coddled them: he would've wanted them to stick to their guns and experience life for themselves, vex assumes. dad's dead, mom. he breaks the news, voice raw from the unveiled tempest he feels inside, egged on by the same old conversation the three of them have had for months now. dad's dead and i'm not leaving haunt. and on top of that, he just didn't want to go home right now.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
There were too many things going at once. It made things messy. First to Rosalyn. It's more that I don't know your pack. The last two new ones I met didn't exactly seem... Well, ones I'd want to trust. Not a good trend, but I'll be happy to badmouth them to you if you want the intel. That last bit at least had a little more spirit to it. Always keen to help ruin the lives of the wolves who wanted to cause trouble that didn't benefit her... Well, ok, at least right now she wasn't to sure about that one guy's pack -- he just seemed pretty sus in the way he avoided actually committing to anything. What was he up to? The Saints were far less of a question mark. Either way, they'll tell you, I've not been the most fond of letting my children stay with those who I don't know. Not that it's stopped them from trying to force my hand before. How many times?

To Haunt, after some thoughtful ear flicking about, And for that, I thank them. A pause to nod to Rosalyn -- polite and thankful, yes, but this was not the order she'd wanted to do things in. She was not the biggest fan of having a conversation pulling in at least three ways at once. Back to her daughter, The change in weather certainly isn't... Helpful. But I want you to be safe and healthy -- and then home again. Without the latter, it makes the former two rather harder for me to do -- it's my duty to do. She looked between both Haunt and Vex. She was not a fan of this. Any of this. But it wasn't like she could fight the weather. 

Again, she was about to speak when Vex spoke up. You did, she said, somewhat flatly, a glance that did question then what he'd meant by asking it in the first place. She was going to let that hang in the air a moment before properly responding but that was when Vex came in with the big distraction: Kaertok. He was dead. What? What happened? She was mostly confused by the fact it was Vex bringing it up. They'd been separated for hours, and that had happened? Or he'd found out? And Haunt had said nothing? He looked between all present, for some sort of answer. She wasn't likely to mourn him to start with but odd to have happen to start. She'd have more to say in a moment.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
she'll be skippable unless addressed/until the end otherwise!

Rosalyn wasn't impressed by her manners, but had no desire to start a fight over two wolves clearly old enough to make their own decision.  She'd allowed that they could stay - the next was on them to choose.

If the woman did not trust them, that was well and good.  Bold of her to say as much, when they'd taken her children in with no cost, but Sapphique hardly had need of allies.  Especially one such as this.  She dismissed her off hand, allowing herself to fade in the background of the discussion.  She would await their decision, though she itched to be elsewhere.
348 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Deerstalker
Tracker
Trapper
She nodded at her mother's words, though before Haunt could contribute anything further to the conversation, Vex brought up Kaertok. Naturally, Arbiter wanted to know more. Her eyes swept between the two of them, demanding answers neither one of them could give. Haunt looked away pointedly, avoiding her mother's gaze and the topic altogether. She didn't want to talk about Kaertok, though she wouldn't fault Arbiter or Vex for wanting to discuss it.

Seeing Rosalyn back away from the conversation, metaphorically if not actually, Haunt did the same. She even took a step toward the leader, shivering a little as she did. This wasn't the best place or time for this conversation and she really ought to return to shelter. But Haunt didn't want to dismiss her loved ones or their need to hammer out details. So she lingered, hunched a bit against the cold.

You can skip me as well!
the wayward son
123 Posts
Ooc — delaney
rosalyn and haunt appear to take a back seat whilst giving vex the proverbial stage. the spotlight isn't necessarily when he want to be when arbiter was the scrutinizing critic in the first row but he supposed this was the first lesson of those leadership lessons he wanted: learning how to navigate tense situations.

i think this'll be good for me. probably it was weak, but it was all he could cobble up, since apparently his sister wasn't reason enough for vex to wish to stay. and it's vague without going into detail how the only wolves of legion that bothered to interact with him were family...and occasionally one non-family. likely, it was his own fault because of his personality but regardless, it was suffocating and he felt largely alienated by such a small pack.

on the topic of kaertok, i don't really know. i wasn't there. it was a partial lie, as he realizes that telling arbiter there was a bear and that it killed their father might unravel any groundwork they'd put towards letting them stay.

he switches topics again, ready to crawl back into the cave with haunt and shelter from the cold and snow. when the weather clears i'll visit, give you updates on how things are going. he strikes a compromise that leaves little room for negotiation on her part. he sees an opportunity here and he's not willing to let it slip betwixt his jaws. i'm staying here. he glimpses at rosalyn over his shoulder before retreating closer to haunt.