Ankyra Sound i gotta have me my boats 'n hoes
Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
All Welcome 
Only a couple hours into his reign, Verx preened. Well, no--not entirely. But he did strut around the place, keeping an eye on the borders and surveying his new kingdom. It was a productive kind of preening, where he could get shit done and look good while doing it. Sure, it was just the leadership of a pack on the coast in the middle of god knows where, but to him, he might as well be fuckin' Napoleon right now.

But soon, tasks began to emerge even in a mind clouded with triumph. First, he sought out @Rosalyn, knowing that the news must have already spread through Rusalka like wildfire. Vercingetorix knew the woman wouldn't be pleased (that was probably an understatement) but she had shown resistance to Caiaphas's recklessness before. Out of all of them up in the higher ranks, he trusted her the most.

He paced the strand, near enough to the dens in hopes of running into her but far enough away that Erzulie and company wouldn't have his hide. He needed Rosalyn and Rosalyn alone.
Common · Trigedasleng
Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
i am way too drained this week from angry typing lmao but here's an attempt <3

How dare he?

Siezed again by hatred when she heard the news of Illidan's displacement, Rosalyn had been at a complete loss how to respond besides the fury that filled her.  Leave?  Attack the bastard?  Kill him? Oooh, she liked that one.

She still didn't know when he found her, and for an instant her deepest wish was for him to disappear back into whatever hole he'd crawled out of and leave them to their lives.  Illidan had trusted this man despite all of their words and in the end, this was what it had bought him.  What it had bought them all.

Her lip curled to reveal her teeth as she simply stared at him contemptuously.  He had no place here; obviously Drageda bred only traitors, and she doubted anything he had to say would convince her otherwise.
Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
you're fiiiine omg writing with you is a gift, every thread <3

He really shouldn't push her buttons, but this was too easy. She was basically handing him the retorts on a silver platter.

Hey, now, that's no way to greet your fearless leader, Vercingetorix called out to her, grinning. His tail swished behind him, easygoing but undeniably tall; he was with no doubt that he was the big boss here. Shows of dominance had never been much trouble for the warmongering man.

He cocked his head, staring down at her. Seriously, though, the fuck's your problem? he asked. You really wanna be led into war by a crazy baby-murderer's offspring that might not even be sane themselves? I guess. . .if that's your thing. But I'm just trying to prevent that, fanas.
Common · Trigedasleng
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Fearless.  More like traiterous. She replied with a frigid calm, keeping her gaze leveled on him as she circled a few paces.  She had no intention of letting him make any moves without her seeing.  So few friends here, and you chase off the only wolf to speak for you.  Interesting choice.  Her tone was level, but there was nothing level about the way she looked at him.

She couldn't imagine he was stupid enough to not know her problem.  Honestly... she didn't even want to deign the question with a response.  So she didn't.  Of all the wolves in Rusalka, she had the right to hate him, and she intended to keep doing so long after she was dead and buried.  Caiaphas is gone, and you should be too.  You don't belong here.  Clear, concise, and a hell of a lot more civil than he deserved.  A year ago, she'd have jumped him as soon as she heard the news and wrested the crown from his clutches.  Now?

She didn't want to lead.  She would not claim it.  But she couldn't stand by and let him claim it without a word either.
Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
Traitorous, coming from a natrona herself. That was rich. He rolled his eyes, staring her down until she'd exhausted her words. I didn't chase him off, Verx said coolly. He left by choice. I would have been more than happy if the guy had chosen to stick around. He did like Illidan, truly. Just not necessarily in the driver's seat.

I disagree, he responded, shrugging. A wry smile blossomed over his maw, small but definite, as he turned to look toward the sea. He watched the waves roll, on and on, for a moment before speaking again. We're pretty different, you and I. We butt heads. We see things from different angles.

Vercingetorix faced Rosalyn again, face now utterly sincere. I respect the hell out of you, he declared softly. Always have. Didn't like the whole keeping you captive thing, but that's politics. Still. . .I'm sorry you got all fucked up in the process. His eyes raked her scars briefly; he felt the hairs on his spine lift a little as the sight brought to mind another woman--

You're the only one here who seems to have a brain of their own, and uses it, he continued, pushing past thoughts of Aure. I want you to lead alongside me, Rosalyn. Be my alpha female. Your knowledge, your expertise. . .I can't think of anyone else more suited for the job.
Common · Trigedasleng
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She listened mutely to first his rebuttle, then his apologies.  Neither were accepted fully, but she could agree on at least one point; it was all only politics.

And then an offer.  An appeal to her pride, maybe.  She agreed that she had a brain, and at one time, she'd have leapt at the chance.  Back when she'd believed that what he offered was what she was meant to do.  Now she knew better.

No.  She was tired, and she knew she had no place at their head.  Last time she'd taken it, not one had respected that, and it had nearly torn she and Erzulie apart.  She wouldn't do it again.  She was through.  If I wanted to lead, I would tear your crown from you myself.  But I don't.  So I guess you are in luck.  The words came out with a slightly bitter tinge.  But I would still watch my back, if I were you.  Others wouldn't take so kindly, and she could think of one particular protege of hers who might have a problem with the new order of things.
Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
He should've figured it would be a no. Every sign pointed toward 'no.' Still, he was a little put out at the response; a teeny, tiny part of him had hoped he'd be able to change her mind. Ah, well.

That's what Illidan said, too, Verx remarked, nodding. The 'watch your back' part. Really no love lost between you guys and Drageda, huh? He supposed that was fair. Particularly when taking into account the nasty wounds criss-crossing Rosalyn's face. Drageda had done that to her. Not anyone else.

And to them, he'd always be Drageda. Natrona meant nothing to these wolves.

Even if I don't have you as alpha female, I hope I can still earn your trust and support in time, he continued, blinking sincerely at the woman. I meant it, Rosalyn; I really respect you, and there's no one else here I feel that way about.
Common · Trigedasleng
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
And I wonder why, she thought sardonically, just as he too had the same recollection.  It was funny to think she'd at one point been one of them, and had they seen fit, might have been again.  What would have been different if she and Erzulie had been offered help and a home?  The little bit of vanity she had left told her everything.

You may want to learn to feel it for some of them.  I'm not the only one here worth a damn.  Last piece of advice, and now she could leave him to it.  She could make no promises because right now she had very little interest in respecting him.  But he held them now, for however brief a time, and if he led with more brains than Caiaphas who knew?

It was not a hard measure to meet.
Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
He snorted softly, shaking his head in disagreement. You're one of a very select few, then, he countered, eyes seeking hers. But that's okay. I wanna make it better. For the good ones, here. The ones worth a damn.

Verx dipped his muzzle to her in gratitude, ready to take his leave. Thanks, Rosalyn, he murmured. There was nothing more to say after that; he'd given it his best shot, and she'd made her decision -- probably well in advance. Couldn't blame her for it, either.

Still, he thought, as he walked away. . .if she was ever up for the lieutenant role, he'd promote her without a second thought.
Common · Trigedasleng