Ghost Lion Crag "If per capita was a problem...
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Private 
...decapita could be arranged." Terry Pratchett, "Reaper Man".

During the time Wraen had spent bringing food to @Kiwi and pretending to be an outstanding citizen within her pack, she had not spoken to the girl much. She had still not reached a decision, why she had helped Wildfire's daughter or whether she deserved to be saved. Every time she saw Colt's serious wounds, she was reminded of, how fragile his state still was and how dangerous the girl could be, if let to walk free. And every time she returned to Kiwi with the rock solid resolution that this was the last time - she would leave her and never return, she failed. Though guilty of a crime, the girl was injured as well.

When it had seemed appropriate to leave her on her own, Wraen had set out to find that friend she had mentioned. And by a pure stroke of luck she had met @Yami , briefly informed that Kiwi was in a very bad state and in danger and that she should come, leaving out the reasons, why was it so and what had really happened to her. She had feared for her safety, if the yearling jumped to the same rash conclusions as her leader had. She left the girl with precise instructions of, where to go and where to find them, then came back to the patient, feeling that before she left for good, there should be some final words said. 

"I want you to know that Wildfire died of a disease that slowly wasted her body and made her very weak. Raven could not help her and neither could any one of us have prevented it," she told in a steady and calm voice, quietly demanding Kiwi to pay attention closely and listen. "She died peacefully surrounded by friends and family," the memory was still vivid and Eljay's melancholic state was a constant reminder of, what had happened. "I am sorry that you had to find this out so late and in such a way, but, what you did to Colt was wrong and unjust," she said. 

"We are low in numbers, we have many mouths to feed and by seriously injuring one of our best, you have jeopardized the survival of your siblings and the rest of the children," she went on. "If Colt dies, if any of the kids die as a result of your actions, that's entirely on you. If you ever show your face near Firebirds, Heaven forbid, try to attack any of them, I will kill you personally," she told, her gaze cold and hard, steel in her voice. She was not joking.

"I helped you, because Wildfire was my friend and I believe she would not have wanted any of use become murderers because of you," Wraen explained. "Consider your survival this time as a work of angels," she turned to leave, then stopped, looked over her shoulder and added. "And remember... the thing about angels is that you only ever get one." Without waiting for a response or wishing to continue the discussion, she departed. All was said and done here.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
To her credit, Kiwi listened silently as Wraen spoke her final piece.  She'd enjoyed the fact that the woman hadn't spoken much while bringing her food... she was as much a traitor as Colt, and if she believed those lies she was saying, an idiot as well.  There was a certainty in her that couldn't be swayed.  Colt had killed her mother and taken the throne, plain and simple.  She was so sure of that because, were Kiwi in Colt's place, it's exactly what she would have done.  She could not imagine he wouldn't any more than she could imagine her mother suddenly, and randomly, taking ill.

As soon as only Yami was left, Kiwi lifted her gaze to look at her friend.  That's so full of shit.  He deserved it and if I hadn't already been traveling I would have killed him easy. She trailed off, then looked down.  One sore point to this whole thing was that she'd definitely lost.  And as much as she wanted revenge, she wanted the mountain more.  She didn't care about her fake siblings or their stupid pack.  They could have it; now that her mother was gone, there was nothing left for her there.  She hoped he died; they should be strong enough to make it regardless, if they deserved to.

Sorry.  It wasn't probably worth it.  But I know he killed my mom.  Least now someone made him pay.  She watched, trying to judge where Yami stood on this.... and more sure than ever that the two of them were way better off doing their own thing somewhere else.
Kiwi will internalize lies and twist things to her benefit until this becomes her reality.  Her thoughts are not my own <3
232 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Yami had been close to giving up when she had made the fortunate decision to go to the Cliffs to see if Kiwi had returned there without her. She had been angry about going in anticipation of finding her friend there. In her imagination, she had concluded that Kiwi had likely found her family and they had all moved to the Cliffs together to start the pack without her. She suspected that with her family back in the picture, Kiwi had decided she didn't need her anymore. She'd been left behind. Abandoned. Unwanted. Not good enough. As per fucking usual.

Fate had clearly lead her down that dark path for a reason, though, for Yami had been about to bail on the Cliffs--and the Wilds altogether--when Wraen had appeared. She told a story that made zero sense to Yami whatsoever, and while the yearling had remained about 70% certain this was all a fucking lie the entire trip to Ghost Lion Crag where Kiwi was "dying", she still went, if for no other reason than what the fuck else was she going to do?

While Wraen had tried to prepare her for what she was to find, Yami was still shocked to find her friend in exactly the state she'd been told she would. She gawked at Kiwi as Wraen said her final piece and then left, uncertain what to think about all of this. She watched as Wraen left, then turned slowly to her friend as she shared her own opinion of the story the strange woman had told.

Yami, having grown up in a pack that was rather obsessive about blood and world dominance, wasn't in the least inclined to doubt her friend's conviction that this Colt fellow had murdered her mother. Kiwi herself kind of had an intense power-hungry vibe to her, so it made sense that the family she'd left behind were the same. Still, Yami didn't really have anything to say on that matter. She certainly wasn't going to go back and finish the job, nor was she inclined to encourage Kiwi to add the Firebirds to her list of packs they were feuding with. One war was already too many.

"You okay?" she asked, "I mean... You look like shit. Are your wounds healing? Are you... You're okay, right?" Yami stepped closer and looked Kiwi over. While she had some experience with injuries from her own mishaps, she had zero skills in healing. All she knew was that Kiwi needed help, regardless of what answer she was actually given to the question regarding her health.

Then, on a whim, she added, "I thought you bailed on me."
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Yeah, fine, and better when we get home.  Away from all of this.  She wasn't fine, she was nauseous and tired and hurt and felt a little weird.  Probably Wraen had put something in her food and once she was back she'd pick up and start getting better way faster.  She pushed herself up to sitting slowly.

I'd never bail on you, she replied, and there was a little indignation to it.  You're my second, yeah?  I mean, she'd never said it, but Yami had to know because that's totally how it works.  Especially after Revui had proven her right by leaving.  Yami was the only one she could count on right now.
Kiwi will internalize lies and twist things to her benefit until this becomes her reality.  Her thoughts are not my own <3
232 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Kiwi dismissed her concern, which caused Yami to quirk a brow. Her friend didn't look fine, like, at all. But, she knew better than to argue, so she just nodded. She had no idea how the getting home would work if Kiwi couldn't physically handle the trip on her own. Yami certainly wasn't going to carry her, nor did she think the prideful yearling would allow her to do that. She supposed that maybe they could just go as far as they could and find shelter when Kiwi's stubbornness proved not to be enough to keep her going.

But in any event, it was her latter comment that Yami was more concerned with, even if she'd never admit it. Kiwi's response was matter-of-fact, if a little insulted by the suggestion. Yami felt warmth swell in her chest, but not being one to be all... feelings-y... she sort of gave of half shrug as if to say yeah, you're right, I knew that like this came as no real surprise and had no immense impact on her. The question that came shortly after did give her pause, though, and though it was against her nature to play herself as anything but cool and collected, she couldn't help but show some surprise at this news.

"I am?" she asked before she could stop herself. Yami didn't know what it meant to be Kiwi's second--I mean, was it really that big of deal considering they had no other packmates to contend for the position? Still.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Definitely.  She almost added a 'duh', but bit it back.  She was glad her friend was here and willing to help, and while she wouldn't say as much outright, it did make her soften the edges just a bit.

They should go back.  She could go, and together they could fight the cliff wolves and reclaim her old home.  What's the point, though?. Her mom was gone, her pack was just Yami, and there was no one to celebrate her return there.  Nothing but empty ocean.

We should leave. She said, quietly, but then a little louder - And not go back. It was weird for her, giving up, but was it really giving up if there was nothing worth gaining?  More like calculating an alternative.  The mountain isn't even that great.  We could find a better spot, one with more wolves around.  She waited after that, wondering what her friend might think of it.
232 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Yami watched her friend carefully as she responded. It was said so dismissively, as though it was common knowledge this rank she had somehow obtained. She did her best not to react, not wanting to make a whole thing of it. But inside, she was definitely reacting. She was reacting in a way she found to be utterly confusing, for it was not a reaction restricted entirely to to the realms of friendship she was used to operating in. It felt like something else. It felt like something it maybe shouldn't.

But she shoved the thought aside, having no desire to really figure all of that out. It seemed too deep, and too dangerous, too... Yeah, no thanks. Maybe. Anyway. Besides which, Kiwi was shortly knocking her world upside down, and that became the more immediate problem to contend with. She probably should've seen something like this coming--Whatsherface had explained a bit about how Kiwi's mother had died, and that was bound to inspire some unexpected twists. But giving up on something she'd been so deadset on was... unexpectedly unexpected.

"If.. that's what you wanna do," Yami said hesitantly. She was by no means married to the mountain, nor did she care much about claiming the Cliffs. All she really cared about was being with Kiwi, apparently in ways she had never really considered before and refused to consider even then. At least, not yet. But in any event, Kiwi's reasons didn't matter, nor did whatever path she lead them down.

Yami agreed to go. Kiwi had been there when Yami'd thought she had lost everything, and she would be here now when Kiwi had lost everything. At the end of the day, it didn't matter what they had lost (at least not to Yami), because they had still been left with something. Something would work. Something was good enough. So, Yami helped her friend away from the crags and away from the Wilds, onto the next adventure where they both might find exactly what they'd been searching for all along. Together.