this is my book
and i know how to work the spells and charms in it
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
Private 
a curious feeling had come into the air.
it brought out of merrick a protective string of brutal thoughts, all in defense of astara. he was loathe to let her from his sight, sensing that this springtime would be different somehow.
titillated, irritated, merrick stalked off into the snowy core of the valley, searching for the calm presence of @Ulysses.
78 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Ulysses is wary to even come towards the bear claw shaped mountain ranges. He can smell the scent markings and see the prints of another pack. He knows he’s not welcome, part of it–him being a lone wolf. The other–him being part dog. He knows most wolves don’t take too kindly to his kind

Though he finds himself wondering down into the vastness of the valley. Pawing down the veins of the winding paths to the valley itself. Eyes gaze upon the boulders and rocks that surely had to of fallen from the mountain itself. The smell of the coniferous trees and the crunch of pine under his paws make his ears twitch with the anxiety of being on edge just in case.

Uly finally makes it to the bottom of the path that opens up to the field, peppered with the trees of previous mention, and a land of pure whiteness greets him. The snow here lies on the ground in a solid sheet, disrupted by the movement of the creatures that inhabit it. Uly merely stands there, ghostly eyes gazing upon the nature before him. Here he’d remain for a while.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
he saw the moon-eyed wolf ahead, staring at nothing so far as merrick was concerned. a light  chuff was sounded to announce his presence, and the ursus-wolf came to flank ulysses. "we should talk," he murmured lightly, not wanting to startle his larger companion.
it was not a dire subject he wished to discuss either. ulysses had come to bearclaw, he had become one of merrick's own, and now it was time they discussed the work that must be done for the bears.
tail flicked at his heels. "are you all right?"
78 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Uly blinks and shakes his body of the snow that’s found a home atop his pelt. He zoned out and didn’t even hardly notice the others presence until the sound the other makes awakens him from his sleepless, open-eyed slumber. His own eyes, twinned to the snow, look down to the coy wolf that now joins him.

“Yes.” Uly rumbles. “I agree.” 

He then takes a second to watch the coy. The snowflakes settling on the raven-black coat of his. They pepper his face and eyes, his torn ears, even land on the  lashes that surround a single copper eye. 

“I’m alright. Just wondering what you might have in store for me.” He slightly smiles to reassure the other, even though he’s sure Merrick needs nothing such.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
"i have lots of ideas," merrick murmured, pleased by the close attention paid to him by ulysses. flattered, even. being the head of ursus did accompany the boy with several good perks, and he knew he was born to the role. had he not been the little prince of bearclaw? why not be it again?
"i need to know what you're comfortable with, ulysses," he moved on, serious now. "if i ordered you to do something, anything, could you do it without question?"
78 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Uly smirks at the others reply, flashing white canines but only briefly as the other continues seriously. The blue wolf sheathes his jagged-toothed smile and stares intently at the other as he speaks.

Ulysses’ eyes drift from Merrick at his question. Again, gazing upon the snowy land before him. What exactly does he feel comfortable with? He assumes the coy speaks of killing and presumably other daunting, immoral tasks. Uly’s mind is taken back to his younger years. Though he seems like a gentle giant now, he was numb and lacked personality back when he was a slave to the humans that took him from his previous family. He was cold and calculating, with only one task in mind: kill. He killed and wounded many of his own kind, even put up against other species. Though he was forced to do so he did it with an odd, unsettling feeling in his gut that later on became mechanic. 

So then he’s left with that question still. Would he do anything Merrick asked without question? Perhaps; he’s not sure what it would do to him mentally, he’d possibly revert back to that cold calculating zombie of his former self. Is he willing to risk that? Perhaps. His drive to serve just as he had with his humans is too much for him to resist. Sometimes he curses his dog half for that.

Finally he blinks once and looks back to the coy wolf. “Yes.” He rumbles with finality in his voice. Attempting to end the battle he fights with himself. “I will.”
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
yes, was the answer, and merrick breathed a great inner sigh of relief. ulysses was precious to the mad youth for many reasons, most of them undisclosed. he would not have wanted to see the man refuse him.
refusal was not truly an option anyway, seeing as how merrick had been very vulnerable in ulysses' presence this past spring, a weakness he must keep hidden.
refuse ursus, refuse life itself.
"i am glad to hear it," the boy purred. "more than likely, there will be no call for it. i just want to know you're loyal."
78 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Uly’s ghostly eyes side eye the coy wolf curiously when he hears the purr in his voice. Not at all malicious but most definitely something else. Then the wolf-dogs ears swivel and he holds his head up with that low chuckle he does at the others response.

“Ah, I see.” He nods with a playful smile. “What do you have for me then, Merrick?” He asks walking a few steps forward and spinning lazily back to face him. “Some kind of test? Can’t be that easy to join your little band of misfits, yes?” The wolf comments with a glint in his eye, though he likes to mess with the coy, he genuinely wonders what’s next for him.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
"band of misfits. i like that." it fit them all, he supposed, even the ones who had come and gone. such things were the nature of wolves, and merrick did not hold it against them. besides, the young coywolf mused, those who left would never behold the glory of ursus.
"since you'll do anything i ask," he began on a darkly teasing note, "maybe i want you to spy on easthollow for me. they're our closest neighbor. i have ties there and don't want to be seen. you won't need to infiltrate, just spend a couple days gathering info." a glimmer of feigned humour upon his one-eyed features. "what do you think?"
78 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Uly chuckles then watches the coy intently as he speaks. “Well I wouldn’t say anything.” He jokes, even though Uly and the coy both likely know he might just do anything he says.

“Oh, spying?” The wolf asks with an interested expression. “Is there any specific I formation I need to listen for or just relay back what they had for breakfast?” He asks with a smile. Sure he likes to play with the other he can be serious at the right times. 

Uly nods though. “Yes, I can do that.”
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
surely ulysses knew merrick understood the truth of their arrangement. the boy wanted to test it, for what if there came a day he wished to make the gentle giant eat his playful words? a smirk passed over his bright, watchful features. "listen for anything that you find relevant," he purred. "anything that seems useful."
easthollow, after all, was merrick's next big project.
"my shadow, what do you think of her?" the young wolf inquired after a moment, referring to voiceless, observant astara.
78 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Uly sees something in that smile the coy wolf wears. He’s not sure if he likes it but the wolf dog does his own smile as well as he nods to the other. Anything that seems useful. Uly thinks, that would all depend on what Merrick’s goal is with said pack. Though Uly has a good enough memory he’ll listen in to anything he needs to be able to prove his loyalty to the other.

The purr in the others voice makes Uly think he could be up to no good. The wolf merely nods to him with his own easy going smile, misty eyes never leaving the raven pelt of the coyote. Then the dog looks to Merrick confusion clearly laced into his expression. “Your shadow–?” Uly asks genuinely curious.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
"the black wolf," merrick sighed with an open affection. "my raven. she has been with me for months and months. i met her just after i met you," the boy remembered, teeth glinting in a savage little grin. his ear had been torn by talons then, but the notch only served to recall that first memory of astara.
"what do you think of her?" he inquired again. perhaps ulysses had not yet met the reticent blackbird, but surely he had seen her at least in passing. lantern-eye watched his companion, secretly hoping for the mildest glimmer of jealousy.
78 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Uly tilts his head–a black wolf? The others apparent shadow. She follows him then? Has she been following this whole time? He wonders and anxiously flicks his eyes around for a second at the mention of her. Then the devious grin the other gives him is interesting to say the least, an emotion connected to it that  Uly can’t quite put a name to. Though the clear affection in his voice causes Uly to furrow his brows in mild confusion, but perhaps also something else.

Then he asks the question once more. The wolf mix gives a thoughtful hum as his response. “I have not seen her.” He says matter-of-factly, curious as to how he’s missed her. 

Though certain feelings swirl inside him, a twisting in his gut that he’s sure he can place, but doesn’t want to. Silver eyes never leave the coys own copper one. “I cannot say what I think of this wolf. I have not met her.” He comments giving another cautious glance around them, silver eyes coming to land back on the coy wolf. The mutt attempts to stay neutral about the wolf the coy speaks of so affectionately. Although he’s curious as to what the extent of their relationship is and can’t help the prickly feeling that races up his spine.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
"well, we will have to fix that!" merrick crowed, dancing some steps ahead of ulysses a moment. for a split second, he allowed himself to fancy that the man had only moon-eyes for him, and that was why he did not notice. astara would come up soon enough, and she would meet their newcomer for herself.
the flutter of wings against the air seized his attention. lopsided gaze followed the flock of pheasants thoughtfully, noting where they landed in the distance among low snowy shrubs. he glanced to ulysses, questioning for a stalk of the birds.
78 Posts
Ooc — Malia
The other bellows his reply with a certain excitement he’s come to relate to the coy wolf. Yes, Merrick plans on having him meet this wolf. Perhaps it would be interesting. The Russian wolf thinks, he’s still unsettled by how she apparently has been following him for a fair amount of time without Uly’s knowledge. Maybe he really is just rusty. 

Though as the raven furred wolf dances forwards, Uly can’t help but still smile. He seems excited in having Uly meet her. So therefore he’ll indulge him. “Yes,” the massive wolf begins. “I look forward to meeting her.” He finishes, his white eyes looking fondly over the coy wolf. 

Then they both get interrupted by the birds flying overhead and Merrick glances back to him. Of course he has that mischievous glint in his eye. He’s offering a hunt and who is Uly to deny? He needs something to get his blood pumping anyhow. So he finalizes the hunt by a simple nod back a smirk also playing on his own muzzle as he lowers himself to the ground.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
merrick did not know how ulysses had missed astara's jealous form, but she had been withdrawn as of late. she had only eyes for him. perhaps ulysses too only kept the sight of their bloodied young leader. the thought that two such beautiful creatures fancied him only swelled merrick's ego, making him bold as he met the silvermoon eyes and pressed on.
a hunt, then; the long fat birds would be hard-pressed to escape the jaws of two hunters, and merrick stole into a crouch as he approached the foliage. spurring them from the thick leaves into ulysses' larger jaws was what he planned to do; already he and his companion had taken up a silent communication, and the boy felt this would hold until their quarry had been downed.
78 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Uly crouches behind the other as they stalk towards the birds. The larger wolf decides it better to go a ways adjacent to his companion to have a better range when their victims take flight. He watches the other creep through the foliage hoping to sneak up and surprise them.

Silver eyes watch the other work diligently. Waiting for his turn to strike, Merrick gives him the perfect opportunity. The snow around them becoming a flurry as the larger wolf moves swiftly towards their kill. The snow acts to further disorient the birds for an easy catch. Spurring the birds into fear stricken flight, the powerful body of the blue-grey wolf leaps into the air. The snap of his teeth audible, his jaws meet  together once in failure to catch the first bird that flies by; the second isn’t as lucky. 

Muscles flex beneath thick fur and he takes to the air again, this time there is no audible click. The crunch that sounds means victory as the bird is crushed in the maw of the mutated wolf. Paws meet the snow and he quickly gives the bird a vigorous shake, plumes if feathers flying into the chilled open air. Ulysses trots to the other and drops it before him in an offering. His blue and pink tongue lols out with feathers stuck to it and drool hanging from his chin, panting mist into the air as he stands before the other. He decides to allow the other to eat the meal.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
he gathered himself for a leap, but decided in the next second to watch ulysses burst into activity. singular eye watched with a deep intrigue, a leveling-up of respect, the powerful male bely his own weight in a powerful hunting display. merrick laughed lowly as bloodspray misted the air.
and then it was over, and the silver-eyed warrior was coming toward him. the fresh carcass struck the ground with a low thud.
merrick gazed upon it, tongue tracing his lip, and then glanced slyly to ulysses.
take what it is you desire
drunk upon the submission to his own power, he breathed in the scent of scarlet. "you have something ... there," and in the next moment, if allowed, merrick reached up to clean the taller male's chin with a slow bathing.
78 Posts
Ooc — Malia
I wrote this TWICE cause I lost like 80% of it when I saved it as a draft and apparently it didn’t save it all. :’) it’s not as well written as the first, I’m sorry haha!

Uly flaunts his easy meal and watches the others face intently as he drops it before his companion. The pink of the copper eyed coywolf’s tongue peeks out to lick over whiskers and lips. The larger wolf gazes down to the other, even finds himself tracing the motion with his own blue tongue. Afterwards, allowing his tongue to fall out once more due to his heavy breaths and overheated body die to his thickness of fur.

The snow that halos around the stark blackness that is the coys pelt is a nice contrast as the other gazes upon him. Unable to take his own silver twins away from that singular eye that holds the worlds most sly and devious look in it he’s seen. The navy wolf gazes down to the other and watches his nose flare at the intake of breath, presumably basking in the coppery tang of blood surrounding them. Their breath mingling between them as each breathes a cloud of mist plumes before them and the trickling of snowflakes that fall on them both makes for quite the scene.

There are no words between the two until the other breaks the peaking silence Ulysses didn’t even know was building. The glass shattered as his voice reached Uly’s ears and has them swiveling to hear the words his companion speaks with that voice he’s come to connect to the coy himself.

The significant size difference between the two forces the coy to reach for his maw. The coy‘s tongue laps at his lips and chin in a languid manner that the moon eyed wolf could easily confuse for something else rather than helping him clean himself. Ulysses dares to even bring his head lower to allow the coy access without the stretch of meeting his height. Ears forward like satellites in interest, not really expecting the coy to perform such an act. 

Though fearful of making the other recoil, Uly slips his tongue back into his own jaws to allow the cleaning. Eyes going almost cross to watch the other he stands above him stock still. The smallest of smirks coming to his maw.

“In that case, you have a bit of blood on you as well...” He voices jokingly, but ever suggestively. His accent thick and voice deep he raises a brow at the other.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
i still loved it! <3

ulysses did not pull away, he surrendered further to merrick. the sensation of power over so strong and large an individual thrummed in the boy; he trembled, turning to ash beneath the suggestion in the warrior's silvermoon stare.
their breath mingled; merrick poised himself, tail stirring at his hocks even as he dared hardly inhale. 
"you should probably get that."
no name for this; merrick did not label himself and never had. he had no word for what it was roiling within him, save for the knowledge that he wished to drink in all of ulysses.
78 Posts
Ooc — Malia
The way the coy stares back to him gets the navy tinted wolf hungry in a different way. The unspoken thrum between the two is almost intoxicating and for the longest time Uly has tried keeping it that way; unnamed. Though now a types of ideas are swirling through his busy mind. All of them coincidentally involving the man before him.

Then he speaks and Uly can’t help the smirk that appears across his maw. “Oh?” He sounds back as a reply. A deep barely audible noise. “Shall I?” He asks.

Then, with the coys permission, the wolf with twins moons for eyes leans down to meet the coy. His own blue tongue running across the whiskers and fine hairs of the others muzzle. Then dipping further to nibble playfully at his jawline before licking the flat of his tongue over the others cheek. Silver eyes never leaving the single eyed stare of the wolf before him until he nibbles his jaw, allowing his eyes to close and enjoy this most unusual feeling that crawls up his spine and into the pit of his stomach.

Uly pulls back to allow his gaze to linger and eager to see the others reaction. Hopefully to not be turned away, but awaiting for rejection or acceptance.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
ulysses moved to caress merrick's face with his own tongue. the boy's breath came harder; he was awash with the low distant thrum of his flesh. different from astara; he felt less in control here, completely at the mercy of this strongman, should he move to hurt his young leader.
but he did not. dizzied by the eye contact, which simultaneously gnawed at his dominant self, and quelled his submissions, merrick switched his plume, moving in to inhale the scent of ulysses' pelt. "yes," he whispered there, surrendering to the deep flare of intrigue and his own baleful hungers.
78 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Ulysses, drunk on the others gaze, cannot seem to take his eyes off the other; he thrives off his reaction. He’s astonished the other allows him such passage into his personal space. 

The larger wolf gazes down to the black face framed by snow, a different type of hunger tickling the depth of his stomach. He holds his breath with anticipation when the other breathes out his reply. A reply to the moon eyed wolf’s satisfaction, a devious grin worms it’s way into his maw. It makes him dizzy with delight with the possibility of being accepted by him. 

He brings his head down and takes a step closer, his paw crunching the snow beneath in their stark silence. Staring deviously into the single eye the coy bears. He reaches down to playfully bite the others left ear, then to whisper his own breathy but teasing, “Yes?” His breath ghosting onto the shell of the others ear.

Even though there is excitement spiking electricity throughout his body, he’s struck with the quick thought of the wolf Merrick had spoken so fond of earlier. [His] shadow. The she-wolf following them. Uly wonders briefly about her. Then guilt, and perhaps jealously, also join that feeing sparking electricity throughout him. 

He recedes slowly, the playful aura and devious smile meekly fading. “What about your shadow?” He asks, only as high as a whisper.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
"she's the only woman for me," merrick shot back pointedly, leaning against ulysses, filling his senses wash over with the impressive masculine strength of the man that had always been his protector. single eye blazed as he pulled away, and then merrick was turning, backing into a copse of trees with his teeth playfully tugging ulysses' ruff, the fur of his shoulders.
as the shadows dappled, he drew in a ragged breath. this was not something he had done before; he was rightfully nervous, but the silver-eyed man had ensnared him, brought his new lusts to waking. 
he preened ulysses with a low whine, then whirled, snaking his hips back against the warrior. a folding of his ears; merrick's interest was clear, was aching and impatient.