Wheeling Gull Isle New places, friendly faces
Rivenwood
Ash
His Reverence
116 Posts
Ooc — Maddy
All Welcome 
Quote:All of SweetHarbor is welcome! Come and meet the newest member.:D 

Now a member of this new pack who had so kindly taken him in, like a single sheep who’d lost it’s flock, he wanted to get to know the other wolves who call this island home. He wandered the isle, in search of anybody to speak with. And as he walked along the shore, he breathed in deeply the scent of the ocean.

“I wonder who I will meet.” He thought to himself.

Active weekdays: Monday, Saturday, Sunday — Most evenings (Pacific Standard Time)
By the witness of the martyrs
By the passion and the blood
God has raised you out of darkness
I have bought your soul for God

{Bishop Myriel, Les Miserables}
(Most Thread titles taken from Les Miserables)
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
He had served his time and was prepared to return to the den in full, though it made him wonder if he and @Heda should choose a rendezvous site soon. Well, he would ask her tonight, when he curled up to sleep beside her.

For now, he spent some time walking on the beach in silent prayer. When he saw John, Caracal realized this would be his very first opportunity to speak with the man, one-on-one, with no one else—particularly children—afoot.

John! Hey! he greeted, moving toward the other man and just hoping he wasn’t interrupting his own devotions. How’s island life treating you?
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Rivenwood
Ash
His Reverence
116 Posts
Ooc — Maddy
John was taken in awe by the beautiful land that he was blessed to live in, everything on the earth had God’s fingerprint as a signature. He took a moment, closing his eyes, and whispered a prayer of gratitude, then was brought back to the present moment by the voice of another man, he turned his body to face the author of the voice. “Good day, Caracal!” He smiled, “This land is indescribable, and life is just…” he paused to think of the right word, “Perfect. Thank you for asking.”

“How are you? And how are your wonderful mate and children?”

Active weekdays: Monday, Saturday, Sunday — Most evenings (Pacific Standard Time)

666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
John seemed utterly delighted to be here. Caracal was glad. Not only had he helped two of his children, he already seemed to be a holy man. This actually intrigued Caracal greatly. How had he independently come to know God and His ways? He had learned everything he knew from Heda, who’d picked it up from Bartholomew. Was it possible John knew the man?

The question John asked made him chew at his lip. Of course, just recently, Caracal had been punishing himself (and the rest of his family, by proxy) for accidentally hurting Ava. But tonight, things would return to normal. They were chaotic, yet good, he supposed.

We’re doing alright, thank you for asking, Caracal replied with a few stirs of his tail. I’ve been eager to get to know you better. Can you tell me a bit more about yourself? he asked, waving his paw to indicate they should continue sauntering along the beach.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Rivenwood
Ash
His Reverence
116 Posts
Ooc — Maddy
Quote:It’s a little shorter than it should be. :/

The two men continued to walk the shoreline.

At Caracal’s answer, he smiled, “That’s good to hear.” And when he was prompted by his question of who John was, he was more than happy to tell about himself. “I grew up far from here, in a place called the Canadian Wilderness.” John began, “My family was part of a smaller pack, with my mother and father as the two betas. Since day one, they taught me all about The lord, showing me his love through them, and helping me to learn His ways and laws. And now, the lord guides me in my life. He even brought me here, I believe. Even though I may not know exactly why,”

666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
He thought he’d heard of Canada, actually, during his travels. Caracal didn’t bother saying that out loud, not wanting to interrupt John. He listened like he was a parishioner attending service and John was the preacher at the pulpit, sermonizing about his life story. He answered the leader’s unspoken question, which begged so many more.

I didn’t realize how widespread His word was, Caracal confessed, eyes bright, but it makes me happy, knowing there are others, far and wide, who know God’s love. And I’m grateful it brought you to us, and he shuddered to think of what might have become of his son and daughter if John hadn’t been there that day…

Suddenly, Caracal reached out and grasped one of John’s paws to tell him, I thank God every day you were there, you know. My family’s indebted to you. I just hope we’re repaying some of your kindness by sharing our home. But if there’s anything else, you just say the word, man…

We don’t have any post length stipulations. Post as much or as little as you like. :)
Rivenwood
Ash
His Reverence
116 Posts
Ooc — Maddy
All he could do was blush at the kind words that were spoken, “I was surprised too, since my natal pack was small, I never knew anyone outside of it.” John replied. 

He appreciated every word caracal had spoke to him of his heroics, but his modesty kicked in, “That’s not necessary. Though I thank you deeply. But perhaps it was simply meant to be.” 

He turned to a new subject, hopefully to move the spotlight. “Who else will I meet on this island?”

666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Caracal wondered what exactly had made John leave his birthplace. He’d said God had led him here… but how had it happened? Had He come to John in a dream, commanding him to set out? Or was it something much simpler, like a stirring deep inside him that had compelled him to wander?

Before he could think to ask, John posed a question of his own. Surely he’d come across some of the island’s inhabitants since his arrival, though Caracal was happy to provide a shortlist of names.

We have more pups than adults, that’s for sure. There’s Heda, myself, Everett, Manea and Vesper in the latter camp. Our kids are Simeon, Malakai, Judah, Dinah, Ava, Ana, Abel and Z.

He could explain the whole situation with the youngest four, though Caracal didn’t feel the need to make any particular disclaimers or distinctions. They were all his and Heda’s. Of course, Everett was an important figure too, but so were the others. It took a village and they functioned as a tightly-knit family unit.

So, aside from playing lifeguard, what have you come here to do, John? Caracal asked lightly, curious what sort of life the man hoped to carve for himself on Wheeling Gull.
Rivenwood
Ash
His Reverence
116 Posts
Ooc — Maddy
Quote:Should we wrap this up or keep it open for other members to join in?

He listened intently, trying to at least memorize a couple of the names. He knew Dinah and Simeon, but he met very few members other than that.
He opened his mouth to speak: “Wow, it’s not much larger than my pack was. I will keep my eyes open for more of my new packmates, I would love to meet and greet each one.” John beamed. He then heard a rumble in his stomach, “But right now, I think I will find myself a meal of sorts.” He said with a chuckle.

666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Either John dodged the question or he simply hadn’t understood it, as that certainly wasn’t what Caracal had meant. He laughed, gesturing at the great expanses of sea as if to remind John of the bounty they held.

We can definitely find you some eats. But, I mean, what sort of life are you looking to build here? he tried again.

I’m game to continue with just the two of us, but if you’d like to wrap, then that’s fine too!
Rivenwood
Ash
His Reverence
116 Posts
Ooc — Maddy
Quote:Sure! I’m game as well. And maybe others will join in. Or I can shove another thread out there, haha. :D

“That would be great.” John spoke. When he was met with another question, he would answer this one full heartedly. “I want to live a life serving God. And at the same time, hopefully find what I’m meant to do in this life. Perhaps a pastor, like my father was. Teaching about all the wonderful things God has in store.”

And with this, he motioned to continue moving on.

666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Caracal posited, That’s a wonderful vocation. I’d think it’d require you to travel outside the island a lot, since it’s all those godless landlubbers who need teaching. That was a joke, of course, and he hoped that came across. But, seriously, what if you treated this place like a home base and traveled to spread the word of God? I mean, is that what you meant?

He laughed a little self-deprecatingly, certain he hadn’t articulated that very well. But hopefully John understood what he meant? He looked at his face, even as he moved closer to a familiar tide pool. Caracal was pretty sure the tide was on its way out, which meant they might find plenty of snacks trapped in the intertidal zone.
Rivenwood
Ash
His Reverence
116 Posts
Ooc — Maddy
“Why thank you, Caracal.” He chuckled at the man’s attempt at a joke, “But that is a brilliant idea. Missionary work is important.” The suggestion caracal made was nothing short of genius. This seemed like a wonderful concept that he could work towards. 

They came upon a falling tide, revealing small mirror like pools scattering the shore. He peered into one, observing all the small lives in the miniature body of water. “What exactly do you eat around here, beside fish?” He questioned.

Quote:He could start a path towards earning a trade. Woot. 

666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Yeah, he agreed, just glad he hadn’t committed any sort of faux pas, after all. Plus, traveling is a lot of fun. I used to do it, before I settled down here with Heda. I don’t miss it, Caracal said hastily, and I’m happy sticking to the island, myself. But I imagine some of the kids will eventually be curious about the mainland…

Okay, he was officially going off subject. He clapped his mouth shut and focused on the small pools at their feet, snorting a small laugh at John’s question. He glanced at the man’s face, then down at the various offerings in the small pool of saltwater.

More fish, he quipped, crouching to get a closer look, plus there’s crabs and other sea life, like these guys. Caracal motioned at some shrimp drifting, then a couple of clams dug into the sand at the bottom of the pool. There’s some small game on the island too, like rabbits, but if you spend a lot of time here, John, you’re gonna eat a lot of fish, he finished on a laugh.
Rivenwood
Ash
His Reverence
116 Posts
Ooc — Maddy
John intently listened to Caracal speak about himself and Heda, the kids, and traveling. He simply nodded.

At the tide pools, his fellow man explained all about the islands cuisine, and then he mentioned all the different sealift to eat, “It definitely won’t get boring.” He laughed, “I will grow to like fish, I’m sure. Although growing up I had very little.” The idea of fishing sounded fun, to him. But he was glad that there were active mammals for prey options as well. 

He looked around for a moment, oddly staring at the waves, then all of a sudden, he ran towards the surf. He dove into the water and brought his head up, a snack size fish in his jaws.  He paddled back to land: “Guess this is my lunch!” John beamed, dropping the fish. Is there a way I must prepare it first?

Quote:I love to fish, but I don’t randomly dive into the water. Lol. I stand patiently on the beach. Just cast and reel, cast and reel….. :D

666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
I’m sure you’ll be an expert fisherman in no time, Caracal said with a smile, though it’ll take a lot of patience and practi—

Just like that, John galloped into the surf and dove into a cresting wave. Caracal whipped around to watch him, wondering if the guy knew how to swim well. A moment later, he reemerged with a fish trapped in his jaws. Caracal’s mouth dropped open.

Holy, he muttered as John waded back out of the water. How did you do that? I feel like I just witnessed a miracle, Caracal said, still goggling at the wolf. Are you sure you’re new to fishing? Just in case you’re not totally pulling my leg right now… He eyed John playfully. You just need to watch out for the bones. Eat carefully and slowly, else they’ll prick your gums or, if you’re really unlucky, you’ll swallow one and it’ll get caught in your throat.

Rivenwood
Ash
His Reverence
116 Posts
Ooc — Maddy
Quote:I fish for salmon, if I saw one, I may very well do what John did, lol. Or at least rip out my fishing pole and net. :D

Once back on the beach, he shook his fur and then laughed at his friends shocked expression. “Forgive me if I surprised you. I should have mentioned my father and I would travel to a river to fish once in a while.” His father taught him if you see a fish, go for it. And if you didn’t get it, keep trying. But he also taught him patience.

He payed close attention to Caracal’s warnings, and nodded in agreement. “I’ll take it to my sleeping space, take some time to relax while I enjoy my meal.” “I really enjoyed our time together, Caracal. And I can’t help but thank you for taking me in to your island family.”

He then turned his body, motioning that he was on his way back to the main camp.

666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
His brow furrowed in puzzlement. Just moments ago, John had said he’d had very little fish while growing up. Now he said he and his father would go fishing together every once in a while. Based on what he’d just witnessed, Caracal felt it must’ve happened way more often than that. He couldn’t think of any reason would John would lie but his stories weren’t adding up either.

Sure thing, bone apple teeth! he said, waving a paw and smiling as John departed.

Once he was out of sight, Caracal blinked a few times, turning over that conversation in his head. In the end, he shrugged and chalked it up to modesty or something. It wasn’t really his style to look too closely at such things and, well, John had saved his kids’ lives. He was a boon to Sweetharbor.

Thanks for the lovely thread! :)