Firefly Glen Oh Lord, won't you buy me A Mercedes Benz?
Brecheliant
Sciathán
734 Posts
Ooc — Me
Private 
Thread names from the song  "Mercedes Benz" written by Janis JoplinBob Neuwirth and Michael McClure. @Ariadne

Last year Dwin had barely noticed the seasons changing. She had had so much to do then that it had felt as if she was not exactly present and was observing only random snapshots of things happening. Then the dark and cold winter months had come and up until few weeks ago the Good Ol' Madame had stubbornly refused to leave. The first green grass, some overly-enthusiastic spring flowers and leaf-buds had endured freezing temperatures during the nights and even a chance snowfall that had covered everything in a thin blanket of white for two days. But then the warmth and light won the struggle, had taken the throne and basked the Earth with plenty of sunshine, wealth of beauty and a promise that better things were to come. 

Dwin was happily in the middle of it. She had had her reservations about leaving Brecheliant behind, but in the end she had made an arrangement with Maia that suited them both. A new rank
"Sciathán" had been created for the packmates that wanted to learn about the world through travels and then return with stories, konwledge and experience to share with those, who in the meanwhile kept the hearth of the Nest alive. This gave Dwin's journey an entirely different, more important purpose. She did not miss her home so much, but looked forward to the day, when she was to fulfill her promise. 
With three months of summer ahead of her, Dwin was in no rush. She let the path lead her. And today it came by Moonglow's territory. A place, where her sister Dee lived. Unbeknownst to her - she had left Brecheliant right before her sister and her husband had went there to raise their brood. The young wolf stopped, waited and thought for a while. Trying to decide, whether she wanted to meet her sibling or leave it for later. Because her familial bliss would be too much of a harsh reminder of the path in life Dwin herself had not taken. 
Moonglow
Delta
writing letters addressed to the fire
621 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Ariadne satisfied her desire to roam by taking day trips to the neighboring territories. Today, she decided to head in Moonspear's direction and see how far she could make it before she had to return home to her family. Currently, she stood in Firefly Glen, looking towards the hulking mountainscape in the distance, and soon realized that she wasn't alone.

In the distance, another wolf stood, looking towards Moonglow's peak, and her attention turned. Her eyesight wasn't the best when looking at the distance, and she thought she was looking directly at her in-law, Chickadee. Although she should've been happy to see her, more feelings followed: confusion, careful consideration, and worry. Why was she here? Where were the children? Was everything alright?

She approached and barked to grab "Chickadee's" attention, her tail waving behind her as she picked her way through the plains.
Brecheliant
Sciathán
734 Posts
Ooc — Me
Dwin was not alone for long and was glad that fate or, whoever was directing her story from above, had interfered and made a decision for her. A wolf from the village was approaching her. First, the young Blackthorn was a little bit apprehensive and cautious, then she eased up a little and took a few steps towards the stranger. 

It was a very pretty girl, clad in the most unusual pelt of browns and whites. She had a kind expression and an aura of a little sun that was able to melt away some of Dwin's wariness and even managed to make her smile. "Hello," she greeted the other, once they were within a distance, where proper canine greeting ritual could be carried out. "Are you one of the village wolves?"
Moonglow
Delta
621 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
When she was closer, Ariadne realized that her eyesight had failed her. She shook her head, brought her paw to her forehead, and chuckled. Excuse me—I thought you were someone else! she said, unable to stop herself from laughing at herself. This wasn't the first time she'd mistaken a stranger for someone she knew, and she knew it wouldn't be the last time, either!

Once she'd composed herself, which didn't take too long, she nodded in reply to the stranger's question. Yes, I live in village Moonglow. My anaa is Kukutux—or you may know her as moonmother.

Have you visited before? she asked, wondering if maybe she had met this wolf before and just couldn't remember.
Brecheliant
Sciathán
734 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Only in passing. Earlier this spring I was accompanying my sister Sylvie, while she collected stories of other packs. But I cannot remember exactly, whether we stopped by at this particular moon-pack or at a different one. There are quite a few," Dwin explained, thinking to herself that, while having a franchise was a good thing, moon-woman's followers could have at least chosen more creative pack names. 

"My name is Dwin and my other sister Chickadee lives here with her husband. At least that was true few months ago, when she came to visit us," she told. "She then mentioned of starting a new pack with her husband, but I do not know, whether she managed to do it or not," she said. "Maybe you know?"
Moonglow
Delta
621 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She smiled knowingly. Yes, she agreed. There are. While the villages in the area were common knowledge to her, she could only imagine that they were easy for an outsider to mix up.

Her eyes lit up at the mention of Chickadee. Ah! there was a reason she'd thought of her sister-in-law! That is why you reminded me of her—I was convinced you were her when I spotted you back there, she said as she motioned over her shoulder.

I haven't seen her since I returned home, but I believe my anaa said she lives in ... she hesitated, laughed, and shook her head again. Brech ... How did you say it again? I am sorry—it is a name I have not said much!
Brecheliant
Sciathán
734 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Brecheliant," Dwin offered helpfully and thought to herself that this kind of news was the last thing she had expected to hear. Last time she had spoken to Dee, there had been a lot of "home does not feel like home" and "I owe this place nothing" and "I want to start out on my own" and a defiant "so, what if it is a moon-pack"? Reflecting on this later, Dwin had felt ashamed that she had attempted to guilt-trip her sister in returning to the Nest, completely disregarding, what she had wanted and wished. It had been difficult to admit that all she had said had been for very selfish reasons. In order to feel less bad for her own leaving, she wanted to have someone else fill her space. Now Dwin wondered, whether her skills at convincing had been better than she had thought. And whether Dee had gone home, reflected on their conversation and had come to entirely different conclusions. 

"Then I have missed her along the way. Wow," she let out an awkward laugh and shook her head, still comprehending the news. "Oh, well - better late than never, I guess. So - are you related to her mate Kivaluk? Because in that case it would make us some sort of relatives through very convoluted and complex branching of the family tree," she joked, though a small part of her wished it to be true. Ariadne was very easy to like. 
Moonglow
Delta
621 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Oh, yes, thank you! Brecheliant, she echoed with wavering confidence. Brecheliant. This time, she felt more sure of herself.

It seemed like she'd been the bearer of some news, though she couldn't determine if it was good or bad, and she contemplated this until a question was asked of her. While it'd been a simple question by default, history and past choices had complicated it; Kivaluk was many things to her. Yes, she said for the sake of simplicity. My anaa adopted him when he was younger.

Her insides twisted as she thought of Kigipigak. While it had not been strange to her before, as she’d simply refused to look at the situation with a crucial eye, reflecting upon the twisted mess of a web made her uneasy. She could now see why her decision had made others uncomfortable; how was she supposed to explain his father and her husband were the same people? That was … strange. Bizarre, even. She frowned and glanced towards the ground, knowing this was something she'd have to think on further.

Ceridwen's last remark was the only thing that could've suitably distracted her, and she chose to focus on it. She smiled, her brief tension melting away as she shoved her other thoughts to the wayside.

It is nice to meet you, sistraa of my sistraa. she said. My name is Ariadne.
Brecheliant
Sciathán
734 Posts
Ooc — Me
Dwin was not fully aware of the truly complex web that was the moon-pack family tree. Even to her very liberal worldview the knowledge of the all the details, on how matches were made, children were conceived, husbands were shared would make her raise her eyebrows. She would probably not be judgemental, just surprised. As a person, who had considered her neighbours being devout catholics, learning that they were free-love-for-all hippies or something along the lines. 

"Well, maybe calling me a sister right away is a bit too soon - what if it turns out that you have met the nasty-tempered ol' hag of the woods?" she poked fun at the ease of declaring her a relative. "You do realize that Hags take all promises very seriously. In other words, it is very easy to welcome a witch in your house, it is far greater challenge to get her out of it?" she chuckled, tilted her head to the side and waited for Ariadne's response. In a way this nonsensical banter was Dwin's way of finding out, whether the girl had any sense of humour. 
Moonglow
Delta
621 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
While Ariadne wasn't entirely sure what a "hag" was, she figured it wasn't something good. After all, why else wouldn't you want one in your house?

She laughed and considered the question for a beat, humored by the line delivery, but still scrambling for context. Well, that would be ... unfortunate, she attempted, failing miserably at her attempt of humoring 'Dwin! But it does take a lot for me to want to kick somebody out of my house ... she smirked. What would be more funny, I think, is that I was really the hag here, and I tricked you! Was that any better? She hoped it was.
Brecheliant
Sciathán
734 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Well, either the fairy-godmother gave you the gift of bottomless patience or you have not yet been tested by a hag," Dwin laughed. Ariadne had passed the first test - she had not felt weirded out by her shenanigans. Better even - she was trying to play along! "I can tell you that having a hag in your nest is just a little worse than having a bunch of rowdy, sharp-teethed children that you either need to herd around or have to run from them trying to eviscerate you," she bantered on. "Though - if you asked some parents, I think that they would be just about willing to exchange those kids for a single hag," she added. 

"Interesting... interesting..." Dwin replied, narrowing her eyes and looking Ariadne up and down. "Though your name does indicate that you have some ancient magic in you already. Do you know the story?" she asked. 
Moonglow
Delta
621 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
I used this summary to help with Ariadne's story: https://www.britannica.com/topic/Ariadne...-mythology

Ceridwen's banter was delightful, even if Ariadne didn't fully understand what she was saying. She bobbled her head, laughing occasionally, and did her best to follow. Well—if I have never been tested by a hag, and if it turns out that you are one, I guess this must be my test! How am I doing? She hoped she was doing well!

Oh, yes! My aapa told me the story of my name when I was younger. It is from ... Greek mythology, aside from her father's stories, she did not know much about Greek mythology, Ariadne was born to king Minos and Pasiphae. She fell in love with an Athenian hero named Theseus, and somehow, he got stuck in the Labyrinth and slayed the Minotaur, a half-man and half-bull beast, that her father kept in there. She helped him escape with a thread of glittering jewels.

After they escaped the Labyrinth, Theseus carried her to the place called Naxos and left her there to die, but she was saved by the God Dionysus ... and, ah, I think that is it, she concluded.

What about your name, 'Dwin? Does it have a story? she wondered.
Brecheliant
Sciathán
734 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Oh, you heard the version with a happy ending. That is good," Dwin remarked. The one thing she had truly disliked about Greek and Roman myths was the persistant theme of men/gods abusing/violating or simply disregarding women. Be it Zeus on yet another creative rape spree or some god mistaking obssession and privilege with love and turning one nymph's life hell. Heroes were not that great role models either. For some reason women always played the second violin. There were very few exceptions - one that came to her mind right away - was Circe. A witch. A hag. One of the sisterhood from times long gone. Then that other gal, who had made a guy fall in love with his own reflection. Terrible curse and Dwin did not quite agree with the motivations there, but you could not say that the guy had not deserved it.

"Well... Dwin's short for Ceridwen is a controversial figure and I do not agree with a lot of life-choices she made. But... she was a goddess of rebirth, transformation and inspiration. And I think that rather than living up to her name and fame of the past, my journey in this life is to add new meaning to the name and claim it as my own," a very complicated answer to a very simple question. "What is the story you want to tell about your name? I mean, times have changed and labyrinths and monsters are in short supply these days, but that does not mean that world has any less of surprises and adventures hidden up its sleeve," she asked.
Moonglow
Delta
621 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She was surprised to hear that there were several versions of her namesake's story. There ... is a different ending? she asked, tilting her head to the side. She wasn't even sure if she wanted to hear it—especially if the ending wasn't happy. Would it be ruined for me if I heard it? she added, half joking, half seriously.

'Dwin divulged a brief summary of her namesake and added her personal mission regarding the name's legacy. Ariadne hadn't ever considered what she personally contributed and wasn't sure how to answer the question. She mulled it over for a beat before she spoke again.

I, uh, hm, she began, clearly stumped. I guess what I want people to remember is someone who learned from their mistakes and found happiness, these were the things she'd been working on, not only for her own sake but for the sake of her children. Someone who has found peace. She was still looking for it.
Brecheliant
Sciathán
734 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Well, it wouldn't do any favours. Just emphasize, how many heroes and gods in those old tales are patriarchal shits and that women are stereotypically weak unless they have a strong guy to lean on or someone, who comes to rescue her," Dwin summed up and shrugged. "I mean - strong women scared people of old, that's, why they portray them as evil, ugly or wayward," she explained. "That's why I have chosen my aunt's mission to reclaim and redefine the name "hag"," she added. 

Ariadne's answer to a very personal question surprised Dwin somewhat, because it was very wise and down-to-Earth for a wolf her age. She could not be much older than herself and yet in her place Dwin would have bantered on about great feats and adventures and - well - all in all - making a story of, how she had gone against the tradition, but still achieved greatness. She still believed that all the great things were ahead of her. Whereas it seemed as if Ariadne had already made it to the top of her Alpine path and understood that the peak she had imagined was not the one she had actually wanted to climb. 

Dwin was tempted to ask for the girl to elaborate more on this, but - she had to remind herself - they were strangers. And it was none of her business. "That is very noble," she told instead. "Come to think of it... yeah, I would like to tell you that I want myself being remembered as someone great and awesome, but in the end... once I am dead, I won't really care about any of this. So, perhaps, it is better to take life as it is and be happy, while I am alive," she mused out loud.
Moonglow
Delta
621 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Ah—so she wouldn't have liked the ending to the other version of her namesake's story. She was thankful she was spared the finer details; good childhood memories surrounded the story she'd been told.

She was intrigued when Ceridwen revealed her personal mission to redefine the word "hag", and finally, Ariadne hoped she could get some better context regarding it. How do you want to define it? she asked.

She nodded to the musings, feeling she agreed with them wholeheartedly. Happiness is the most important thing you can strive for in this life, she said. If you are not happy, then what is the point?