Ghost Lion Crag i know there's greed and there's corruption
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"By God's good grace," Wraen replied with a grin and though Arcturus wanted to know the technicalities of the story-telling, she was not quite done weaving tales. "But in reality - I won a wager with a devil," she said. Telling Arthur that she had sold her soul would have been more dramatic, but then again she was not too sure, if metaphysics was his thing and would she be able to explain the next logical question - what a soul was?

"I met him on a moonless night at crossroads. You have to know that the bugger is very eager to all kind of mischief, but loves game of chance most of all. He says to me: "Wraen, if you can prove that a truly just man exists, I will grant any wish of yours." I thought it was an interesting proposition, asked him to give me time until tomorrow and meet me on the same spot.

I thought long and hard about this and that very night my paths crossed with God. And he says to me: "I am a just man." After a little thought I replied: "No, you are not. There are a lot of troubles and tragedies in the world uncalled for and you do nothing. Evil gets away and good people suffer."

So, I went ahead and by dawn I met the Gatekeeper of Paradise. He says to me: "I am a just man." I thought a bit and replied: "No, you are not. You judge people at the entry of the Heaven. Those you like - pass, those you do not - don't." By afternoon I still had not found the answer and wondered could it truly be so that a just man does not exist?

And then I heard some terrible news about a young and promising wolf that had perished during a hunt gone wrong and I knew I had my answer. That night I met the Devil and told him: "The Death itself is the only truly just man in this world. It comes for everyone and it does judge, whether you are young and strong, weak and sick, lucky or ridden by all troubles in the world. It takes us all." 

The Devil seemed disappointed, but he agreed and asked, what I wished for. And I told him that I want good memory to learn the knowledge of the world,"
 she finished. "And that's, how I know so much. One thing is good, two are better, three are the best - want to hear another story?" Wraen asked in the mood to spill more beans.

Adaptation of "Godfather Death" stories from Europe. Surprisingly this motive is found in many different folk tales from different countries.
Messages In This Thread
i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Arcturus - October 23, 2019, 08:34 PM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - October 24, 2019, 09:07 AM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - October 29, 2019, 02:32 PM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - October 30, 2019, 10:28 AM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - October 30, 2019, 10:54 AM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - October 30, 2019, 11:23 AM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - November 06, 2019, 05:24 PM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - November 10, 2019, 03:17 PM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - November 20, 2019, 02:47 PM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - December 06, 2019, 02:19 PM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - December 14, 2019, 05:44 PM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - December 21, 2019, 02:44 PM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - January 02, 2020, 02:23 PM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - January 04, 2020, 05:18 PM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - January 10, 2020, 04:37 PM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - January 12, 2020, 02:48 PM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - January 18, 2020, 04:41 PM
RE: i know there's greed and there's corruption - by Wraen - January 19, 2020, 12:55 PM