Duskfire Glacier young right now
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
When Veteran took his opportunity to vent to her, Meerkat focused her attention and sat up a little straighter, ears pricked in his direction. She thought she could empathize with him on a few of his points, though she resisted the temptation to interject. She was glad she didn’t, especially when he seemed to hit a wall in articulating himself. She leaned forward, rapt, her mouth pulling down at the corners as she watched one of her favorite pupils struggle.

Of course, she wondered about Heda, particularly when Veteran seemed to immediately regret sharing that particular tidbit of information, but Meerkat chose to focus on his earlier words, saying, I know what you mean, I think. I joined in the summer and it’s an entirely different place now than it was then. I’m not fine, either, and I hardly knew Wintersbane or Tzila. I know how upset you must feel. She’d lost a parent too, though she didn’t mention it now, wanting to keep the focus on him.

But talking about all of this was a stark reminder of why she’d sought him out today. She suddenly dreaded telling him her plans, in light of this conversation. She inhaled sharply when Veteran insisted she was perfect, which of course wasn’t true. Meerkat couldn’t help but wonder if he would still have such a high opinion of her, after today.

Hardly, she rejoined, smiling tightly. I actually wanted to find you—and your siblings—today because I feel like I’ve not done a very good job lately. And I wanted to apologize for that. I don’t want to make excuses, but I’ve had some personal issues lately that have compromised my time and attention. Like you said a minute ago, it’s been a lot lately, and I just wish I’d done a better job being there for you guys.

Moving closer—and gently embracing him with a foreleg around his shoulder, if he allowed it—Meerkat said, It would go against my code as a coach to declare favorites, but you’ve been such a joy, Vet. And I’m sorry life’s put all this on your plate. She almost told him Issorartuyok shouldn’t have added to the weight on his young shoulders, though at the last moment, she resisted the uncharitable urge to rebuke the Alpha in front of their young charge.

It didn’t feel like the right time at all, though Meerkat knew she had to come clean. There’s something I need to tell you, in regards to the move. And I understand if you’re upset with me—you have every right—but I hope we can still be friends, even after I tell you… I’m not going, when the pack relocates.

She sucked in a breath, giving Veteran a moment to process. Whatever his reaction, Meerkat would be sure to field it diplomatically. She was determined that no bridges be burned during these final days living among the glacial wolves.

I edited a vague conclusion onto this since it’s been a month, but feel free to revive if you want to continue it (I’ll see it).
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Messages In This Thread
young right now - by Meerkat - January 08, 2022, 03:34 PM
RE: young right now - by Veteran - January 08, 2022, 03:50 PM
RE: young right now - by Meerkat - January 11, 2022, 01:24 PM
RE: young right now - by Veteran - January 11, 2022, 01:46 PM
RE: young right now - by Meerkat - January 11, 2022, 01:54 PM
RE: young right now - by Veteran - January 11, 2022, 02:11 PM
RE: young right now - by Meerkat - January 11, 2022, 02:20 PM
RE: young right now - by Veteran - January 11, 2022, 02:46 PM
RE: young right now - by Meerkat - January 11, 2022, 04:48 PM
RE: young right now - by Veteran - January 11, 2022, 07:23 PM
RE: young right now - by Meerkat - January 11, 2022, 07:40 PM