this is my book
and i know how to work the spells and charms in it
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
All Welcome 
"faces from my past come back to haunt me. they're in easthollow. they're gathering beyond the meadow." merrick bit his tongue, swept the countenance of whoever was closest. "and it's not just me they want. they're going to take this land. squeeze it. realize we have something they do not."
a shuddering breath.
"they have to go. ursus will be caught between them and crushed. they know we were here first."
they know i was here first. they know i come before all things.
sʟᴏᴡ ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴋᴇᴇᴘ ᴡᴀʟᴋɪɴɢ
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
alright 2 days passed... I want this thread LOL

Toad gazed on, ears perked forward intently, gaze hungry. Easthollow. It was the place Merrick had told him of, their enemies, just beyond the territory- a threat to them and their peace within this place. A bug that needed to be stomped. Many would've desired power in a pack, but Toad was not one of them; being a pawn in a great plan brought him joy. He was eager to assist, even if it meant putting himself at risk- that was what purpose meant, right? Having something worth putting your life on the line for. 

How do you plan to do it? Something specific? He inquired conversationally, gaze settling somewhere in the distance as if ready to imagine whatever the king would describe.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
the boy-king was pleasantly surprised, but he chided himself for ever having doubted any of the ursus wolves. not now. "easthollow has an old man for a king. i told you. old wolves. children. we could attempt diplomacy," merrick smirked, drawing a shaking breath to steady himself. "or kill."
the taste of blood lured him sirensong. 
the memory of cracking bone sent a spear of lust whirling —
"and beyond the meadow, they must be ... cut off."
voice faded; he waited for toad to speak now.
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
note to self: big tree discovery thread

Old man. Children. Toad was not one for fancy words or pleasant manners, nor was he one for mindless bloodshed- and so he was Merrick's hound, ready to do whatever the leader wished. But the dark man made it clear which he preferred- and Toad prepared himself mentally once again, knowing such things would require the ability to shatter his moral compass. 

Merrick quieted then, and Toad felt his soul become heavy with the screaming thoughts that he tried to brush into shadowed corners. No more. Something lighter, then, after a moment of silence- Do you know this whole territory well? I mean, um- you- you're from here, right? He questioned this time, thinking back to Merrick's words of the old king that had reigned since he was a child. If not here, then certainly nearby.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
toad did not respond to the savage words of his leader, but it was just as well. merrick had nothing else to add, only the breathless cold anger in his gut and his heart, sparkling like an icefire along the oil plains. "i do," he murmured instead, "but it has been a while."
a memory came to him, of chasing birds while laurel followed
laurel
he shook her off and padded some feet away. "there's this place i do recall. do you want to see it? i don't ... remember it too well but it might be worth the trip," he extended glancing toward toad.
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
So he knew it well, but like a distant memory, washed away in some places by time and the changing seasons. Of course the land was bound to change over time too- Merrick was about two years old; Toad wondered how many storms and fires and whatever else the earth might conjure had wracked this place since his birth. A place he did recall: and Toad nodded eagerly, Sure. Lead the way? He offered, falling into step behind Merrick.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
he led toad toward the center of the territory, where a massive tree sat curled among its expanse of entangled, exposed roots. cavework could be seen beneath, surely having been home to many individuals through the years. ageless, ancient — merrick surveyed it with a caressing glance from his single eye.
"needs a name."
he glanced to toad, the corner of his mouth quirking in a suggestive smile.
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
let's pretend toad is creative LOL

There stood a great tree. Toad was no born naturalist, but that was something that would certainly be impressive to anyone- entangled roots hid spaces beneath them, and while some great branches stretched high upwards, others fell heavy to the ground with the weight of years and years.

Merrick looked to him, speaking of a name.

Toad's jadegreen gaze flickered back to the great tree, studying it for a moment. 

Omen... Omensong, Toad suggested in a murmur, shifting his focus back to his dark companion. The boy wasn't especially the edgy type, but he thought a name like this might appeal to his leader...
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
uhh i love it sm

"omensong," he repeated, pleased with the ring of it. he gazed at the gnarled thing, amazed despite himself at how high the tree seemed to reach. "an old place," merrick mumbled, blinking at the newly-titled sentinel. "i like it."
satisfied, the bear-prince stepped forward, rubbing flanks and shoulders against the ancient bole. loose fur caught in the bark, tufts of merrick himself, and he moved away with a stretch in his gait. "you should name more things, toad," he teased in a sing-song voice.