an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
All Welcome 
maybe @Cenric? <3

he had gone to ursus but ico had not been there. dismayed, the soldier had returned to the sunspire, searching for the elk-woman and her siblings in the spires where she had said she would wait. and truly she had, for her scent was thickly laid here. after a brief rest, the centurion climbed a shale-sided path and began to look for any glimpse of her fire-gaze, while another part of him wondered what he was to do if ico could not be discovered.
192 Posts
Ooc —
Away
Once again, Cenric stuck close to the lair. Perhaps it would be his last day here. Their little group couldn’t linger in the mountains forever. They needed to find a forest worthy enough to live in. No progress would be made up here.

The Déorwine stood up and shook the debris from his pelt, and moved forward. It’s about time he met up with his sister. They had to discuss plans of moving.

It was not Célnes he came across, but the guide. He’s the last face he was expecting to see.

Germanicus. Cenric greeted him with a nod. My sister told me you went off looking for someone.
closed for threads
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
it was not long before germanicus discovered one of the family; tall and aloof cenric, who had spurned him in the beginning. because the eaglebound forgot nothing, he was immediately distrustful of the other's tone. but because he served célnes, he kept this hidden away in his at-attention bearing.

"i was. but i did not find him." germanicus saw no reason to give more detail than that; he turned his daffodil gaze toward their view. "are we assembling to go over the mountains, then?"
192 Posts
Ooc —
Away
Ah, that is unfortunate. In a way he could emphasize with the man. He’d gone out to search for Kendrick and had yet to find him. The difference between them was Cenric knew his brother was alive somewhere. He didn’t know if Germanicus could say the same.

He nodded. That’s our plan. We’ll leave once the storm lightens up. They had no way of knowing the rest of the land didn’t suffer the same fate as Whitebark. It was best not to take any chances.

So you’re joining us then? Good, good. My sister says you are a fine man. Cenric, however, still needed convincing.

I’m curious; when did you two meet?
closed for threads
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"so long as she will have me for her guardian." germanicus straightened, feeling the ache of restlessness settling like a veil across him. "we both followed a man called artyom. he was the ruler of whitebark." deciding to continue up the path, germanicus paused to settle into a gait for them both.

"célnes joined us not long after. that was where we met." all of us, the soldier supposed. cenric knew the remainder. "whitebark was handed to her. but her loyalty is to her people." he did not comment upon the woman's assessment of his nature. she did not know him, and nor did her brother.
192 Posts
Ooc —
Away
He had never learned the ruler’s name during their brief stay. That was a bit surprising. Well, he knew now, not that it mattered anymore. He doubted he’d be seeing Artyom or his family in the near future.

The two, unsurprisingly, met at whitebark. How his sister managed to gain his loyalty in such a short period of time, he’d never know.

Our family, we’re a very close bunch. Of course her loyalty would lie with them.
closed for threads
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"i gleaned this when your entire family abandoned whitebark within a fortnight," germanicus rejoined. he had not forgotten how this man had attempted to dismiss him in the beginning. he set his step, paused, turned to fully regard the elk-sibling.

"i understand that your clan belongs to one another. i know you seek to build something great. i will give my devotion to this until i am sent away or it no longer suits me." he was calm as he set the terms, seeking to mend his wounded pride.
192 Posts
Ooc —
Away
His determination could potentially be useful. How much would he bend for Célnes? What distance would he go for Cenric? Not far, he thought. Admittedly, he had little faith in the scout, but he’d give him a chance. Maybe he’d be of more use to him with proper time.

My sister made the right choice with you. The corners of his lips tug upward. Your loyalty is admirable. I hope the rest of my family will see that. They make.. very harsh judgements of newcomers.
closed for threads
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus said nothing when cenric had finished, but his estimation of the man had grown a denarii or two. and so it was with a less abrasive mien that the guardian answered. "i am told of your god. that he does not require sacrifice. how do you show respect?"

he was intrigued, truly interested under the implacable veneer. how would they take ico, if he found the vestal again? germanicus turned his mind away from the young face, and dwelled no longer upon it. "all gods demand something in return."
192 Posts
Ooc —
Away
We honor his followers. Those that have paws and are those that are hoofed. A simple sounding process.

Showing respect for the wolves who are closest to the High Elk is like respecting him himself. For many within his circle, it’s easier said then done. They would never admit this, of course.

On top of that, we only eat the meat of elk on special occasions. Feasting upon them outside celebrations incites the wrath of the High Elk.

Cenric hummed. No sacrifices required.
closed for threads
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
cenric provided a more streamlined view of the worship than célnes had, and for that the soldier respected him somewhat more. "i know that among you i am unfit." a commentary upon the chosen colors, the chosen robe of god. "but i also know that if your sister is to be queen, she must have sons. it is the way of every kingdom."

elk-worshippers or not, germanicus knew the only way to legitimize one's claims was to bind them in blood. he wondered what cenric would make of his boldness.
192 Posts
Ooc —
Away
It’s a miracle Célnes vouched for him and Cenric tolerated him. Without their approval, the family would surely cast him out (surely hell would break lose when they find out he’s traveling with them).

Germanicus was deemed unfit by the masses, which is why his insinuation, well, it shocked him to say the least. Had he been sipping from a glass, he would’ve taken a hard gulp, or even spat out his drink. Luckily he had no such thing, so only his eyes could betray his shock.

Of course. His lids draped upon the tops of his eyes once more. There will be many suiters come spring, and she’ll choose the most worthy man, of course. That special sire must be strong, healthy, and loyal to both the Kings and their god. Would Germanicus check those marks? Only time would tell. As of now, Cenric couldn’t say he was thrilled about the idea.
closed for threads
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
he had scandalized the man. germanicus had not meant himself, not consciously; but he thought now of what he had offered artyom, and saw no reason to do less for the brother to his contract-holder. "my mother wore your hues, if it matters." not so far removed from what they deemed royalty, but felt odd to speak of all the same.

the soldier straightened. "have you more need of me, cenric?"
192 Posts
Ooc —
Away
sorry abt the wait!

”My mother wore your hues, if it matters.” The new information is interesting to say the least. The word cursed is whispered in the depths of his mind. It’s the only way to explain his stripped colors, despite his mother’s supposed brown coat. If his sister were to chose Germanicus as her sire, would the offspring bare their coats or his? He hoped they’d be brown, for Célnes’s sake, but that wasn’t something he needed to be concerned with right now. It’s too early.

Not at the moment. I’ll give you a call when you’re needed. Cenric began to walk past. He still needed to find his kin. It was nice speaking to you, Germanicus.
closed for threads
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
<3

a smart nod, and the soldier turned, striding off the way he had come. if the elk-sibling watched him, germanicus did not stop to take notice.

not until he was alone did the guardian allow himself to bristle, an uncommon gleam of tooth against lip. heathens, all, and he bound to the most high among them. he had never defected before, and would not now; if ares wished him to be here, that is where the man would stay.