Emberwood they fooled us once again, we are the loneliest of men
with every heartbeat i have left
141 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Private 
Paging @Taikon@Takiyok, and @Zephyr!
Set directly after this thread: https://wolf-rpg.com/showthread.php?tid=45360

Taktuq ran until she no longer could. She had seen the Emberwood from a distance and had decided to seek refuge there, knowing that it'd be easier to hide within the woods. When she entered the territory, she immediately sought safety in the roots of a tree

Once Taktuq was in the makeshift shelter, she collapsed into herself with a heavy sob. Learning her lesson from hours before, Taktuq curled herself into the shape of a doughnut and watched outward with bleary eyes. It'd been an overwhelming day, but she knew that she had to keep her nerves about her. She attempted to stifle her crying with several deep breaths, but she was unsuccessful in calming herself. 

Taktuq continued to sob, unmindful of the fact that she was giving away her hiding spot.
He'd departed to scout ahead briefly, worrying far too much about the safety of the group now that Takiyok is injured too. Of the pair, she looks more the part of warrior — the way she carries herself, the watchfulness of her gaze. Losing her as a fighter is a blow to their safety, and the cougar is surely still lurking about somewhere.
The sobs of a child draw his attention quickly, a soft, distant sound at first. Before he realizes what he's doing, his pace picks up, course changing to carry him toward the sound. A child, all alone — he knows what that's like, and he can't ignore it. Hey — are you okay? He calls when the scent is fresh, strong now, even though he can't see the child. He halts, waiting for a response, gaze wary as he searches for potential danger.
common || « french »
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
There had been too many tears shed. There was too much of everything. Taikon was exhausted. His eyes burned. His heart ached. But Takiyok was alive, at least for the time being, and that really was all that mattered. Zephyr was recovering physically, but things were still strange. Taikon wasn't sure exactly who she really was beneath her injury — she seemed to change every time he talked to her.
Ahead, he heard Zephyr talking to someone, and the distinct sound of sobbing. He swallowed, and sighed, worried at what she might have found. Closing the distance between them, he sniffed at the air, concerned. It was a child. He glanced at Zephyr, then looked out warily, afraid that the lion might be nearby.
relatively thin from illness (Apr 13, 2020)
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She was a master at pushing through pain, and that hadn't changed during her time with Sagtannet. It would never change. That quality had been ground into her as a child by a father who showed no mercy for what he perceived as weakness. So even though her head throbbed, and movement made her nauseous, she refused to give up patrolling. That cougar was out there somewhere, and they didn't need another run in with it.

She had only managed a short trek around camp before she felt like she should rest for a bit, and as she made her way back, the sound of crying made her break into a run that her stomach certainly disagreed with. She paid it no mind. Especially as she was hit with the familiar scent of family. Niece, her mind told her. They had only met a few times, but it was enough. Sia's first litter would always hold a special place in her heart. So she was immediately worried about why she was here, and more importantly, why she was crying. As she neared the tangle of roots, she lowered herself down, glancing to Taikon and Zephyr only briefly before calling out. Taktuq? she said gently, trying to reassure her. Come here and tell me what has happened. She was far from home, and Taki's mind flooded with all the possible dangers she could have encountered.
Inuttuk
Common

141 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Taktuq sobered as soon as she saw Zephyr, her tears stopping for now. She'd loathe crying in front of somebody; she had done it once before and then vowed to never again. Nervousness crept up her spine, and slowly she retreated further into the cave since she wasn't sure who she could trust out here. 

"Go away!" Taktuq warned in her family's native language, wiping tears from her eyes and snot from her nose. There wasn't much more that Taktuq could do—she was trapped and had no way of escaping. 

The sound of Takiyok's voice caused Taktuq's heart to leap. She perked, pushing her ears forward as she listened. "Aunt?" she whispered in disbelief, slowing pushing herself onto all fours and creeping towards the opening. When Taktuq poked her head out of her shelter, she spotted Takiyok in the distance, in the company of two strangers. 

Disregarding the unknown wolves, for now, Taktuq slipped from the shelter to meet Takiyok, her body low to the ground. "Oh, I've had such a horrible day," she stated with a whine, pushing her head underneath her aunt's chin. "I was hunting, and two scary wolves c-chased me away from home," they'd haunt her dreams for years to come, "I can't go back—they'll kill me." 

Now, in Takiyok's embrace, Taktuq knew that she was safe. She didn't have to worry anymore.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Suledin requested skip
Takiyok recognized the voice, or seemed to. She walked closer, speaking in one of the northern languages that he partially recognized. Although Taikon knew that Taki was from the north, he somehow never made the connection that she might be bilingual, and had never heard her speak such sounds before. His ears were alert, and he swept around Taki in a wide circle, afraid of startling her or the child.
The girl spoke back to Takiyok in their northern language, and Taikon tilted his head. He watched as she crept from her hiding place and lowered herself, moving to at last embrace her family member. To his knowledge, Taki hadn't had a litter this year, and so he made an assumption that she might be a niece or a little cousin. Slowly, carefully, Taikon crept a few steps toward them, leaving a couple of yards of distance. He sniffed at the girl, unable to understand the story she told. He looked at Takiyok expectantly.
relatively thin from illness (Apr 13, 2020)
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Taki wrapped around her and nuzzled her gently to try and comfort her. She was clearly terrified, and Taki wanted to make sure that she knew she had no reason to be now. Her niece explained that she had been chased from her home—she was afraid they would kill her if she returned. The story made protective anger swell up in Taki's chest. Over her dead body would anyone touch Sia's daughter. It is okay, Taktuq, she murmured against her niece's fur. You are safe with me. I will not let them hurt you. She matched her words with soft strokes of her chin across Taktuq's head.

She looked up to Taikon and Zephyr then, knowing they would be expecting a translation. This is my niece, Taktuq, Taki explained. Her father, my brother, and the rest of her family live within Easthollow. It seems she was chased from there today by two wolves with the promise that they would kill her if she returned. She knew she should take her back home, but she could feel every ounce of terror in her own heart. I do not know if I can— She thought of Stag and how upset he had been with her the first time she left Sagtannet. He had wanted her to stay, but she had left anyway. I do not think I can make her go back right now. She is too scared, and it is too dangerous. She looked between the two adults in front of her. She was asking in a way, but really she wasn't asking at all. She would not force her niece into danger.
Inuttuk
Common

141 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Takiyok quickly calmed Taktuq, steadying her nerves with the gentle caresses of her chin. "Thank you," she breathed as her pulse began to even, feeling as though the weight of the world had lifted; she was safe

As Takiyok translated and explained the situation, Taktuq buried her face into the downy fur of her aunt's chest. She was exhausted and not in the right mind to have to socialize.