and i know how to work the spells and charms in it
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
All Welcome 
backdated to dec 23rd

merrick searched for @Bernadette. how had she come to wear the shape of the bear, even small as she was? he had questions. he hoped that she might have answers. 
deep in his throat, merrick crooned a tuneless song as he searched for the newest skeptic of ursus.
time to elevate.
তততততততততত
133 Posts
Ooc — Bees
She had wandered and explored and observed, finding the claim of the cult broad and varied, the Valley its center and crown of jagged teeth. There was old magic at work here, she could see it in the stones standing guard about old ritual grounds, in the bubbling of the blessed brook, in the curses the foxes slung at her, alarmed and confounded by the not-bear not-wolf's calm presence.

Unfortunately, her exploration left her with no room for customary greetings. The scent of others was present, yes, but sadly... meagre. How few were part of this clan? From the he-wolf who led here there - Merrick, Bruin-witch, bear-priest, Báleygr - she thought the faith in their beast lord strong, their dens crowded with believers, shrines erected on every ley-line.

It was not so. At least, that was the truth the thin border marks and few tracks spoke of.

He found her returning from the meadow, intent to for once rest among her cousins, perhaps ask for a meal, if they found her worthy. The Witch looked every bit as holy as when she first saw him. 

Bernadette bowed her head in greeting.
[Image: Cultist_Acolyte_Dead.png]
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
the bear-touched bowed.
"how did you come by this form?" her leader demanded, though his voice was filled with interest. his single eye roamed over her. "you are not one of my kind, and yet you wear the spirit's making."
perhaps it was marvel which rushed through him and caused his heart to beat faster;
he stared at her with renewed interest and demand, thoughtfulness filling his mind of what her purpose here might be.
তততততততততত
133 Posts
Ooc — Bees
A question concerning the vessel of her soul, and her uncanny similarly to the ursine spirit. There was a thoughtful, still pause, then the Skeptic gave her answer.

"They molded my kind... flesh, skin and bones... to mime what they could not tame. The bear marks me, but I lack it's spirit. Your cult has brought me closer to it than the misguided attempts to shape me ever did."

She shook what light snow had covered her fur.

"I am daughter to a thick bloodline, but strangely, mine kin and yours are cousins, if the rumours of healthy children borne of our unions are true."
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
"tell me more of these pairings."
a throaty laugh. "ursus can fix your spirit here, bernadette." the dark one prowled around her a moment longer and then came to the skeptic's side again. 
"you have a lineage." the single eye was appraising. "do you mean to grow it here?"
তততততততততত
133 Posts
Ooc — Bees
"They are rare... but occur in captivity. Even within the same litter, the children can greatly vary in shape and soul. Some are tame and subdued, others wild, filled with longing."

The chow remained stoic as the witch circled her. "I hope so. I am a scholar, a student. My purpose is to learn, change."

She seated herself. From the depths of her eye sockets, she appraised the wolf. Coywolf. She could see the signs now.

"If I am here when my time comes, yes. It's in my nature." Her great head canted slightly to one side. "Are there men within Ursus looking for the same?"
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
"do you mean to use your own children as objects of education?" was that why she had mentioned it? merrick let out a breathy laugh. "my son seems to have chosen his mate. mine is gone." he studied her. 
"if i give you leave to go outside ursus, the bear will have your firstborn."
now merrick watched her carefully.
তততততততততত
133 Posts
Ooc — Bees
She paused to think. Her own thoughts hadn't gone beyond the upcoming fertile time for her womb, and internally debating the physical feats required to couple with a wolf. This question she took as a suggestion.

"...It could be useful, to see how they'd grow. What they'd grow into." She, herself, thought little of her previous offspring, only raising them up to when they no longer needed her to be present. Where were they now? She didn't know, nor did that information seem relevant to her search for knowledge.

Gone"My condolences."

And now, an offer. A trade. To another parent, it might've been an unthinkable exchange. To Bernadette, who thought only of nature and duty, it seemed reasonable.

The bear-dog nodded once. "Acceptable. Where would you suggest I look for a male?"
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
"out in the world, bernadette," merrick said softly, pleased evermuch that the creature had chosen to give ursus that which he had asked. this moved her up in his mind: willingness to kill one's children was lacking from those supplicated.
"raise them in ursus as servants to the bear."
he tilted his head to one side. "it would not plague you to give one up?" would she fight him at the densite when he came to claim what belonged to the bear? merrick was darkly and completely intrigued.
he motioned that they should keep walking, deeper into the heart of the valley.