Redsand Canyon for the promise to come back
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
All Welcome 
The weak sun was almost warm on Wylla's dark back as she walked along a winding trail toward the canyon where the Saints had built their nest so long ago. Since landing in Sleepy Fox Hollow, she had avoided thinking about them, but Wylla was not comfortable leaving the question unanswered forever. She couldn't see herself raising her cubs here in the mountains if the Saints still lurked.

To her dismay, the closer she drew to the canyon, the stronger the scent of gathered wolves grew. They were still here, it seemed. She stopped long before the borders proper to drop her nose and investigate further. Among the scents, she could not recognize either of the cocky Saints who had visited the bypass in the past.

With full confidence that she could outrun any of the gargantuan Saints despite being halfway through pregnancy, Wylla lifted her nose into the air and loosed a low call for the canyon denizens. Perhaps if their arrogant leaders had left, there could be peace.
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
He had mostly returned to his normal patrol schedule. The slash marks on his chest were healing; the scabs were coming off to reveal soft pink skin underneath that itched like crazy. Thankfully, they no longer hurt much when he moved. 

He was close when the call sounded over the canyon and quickly made his way to either answer it or provide backup to whoever got there before him. 

A woman stood on the border. His eyes were pulled from her one eye to her round belly. Kallik wondered if she needed help.

This is Mereo, he said as he stopped to stand in front of her. Why have you called for someone? His gaze was icy as usual as he studied her and waited for her answer.
Inuttuk
Common
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
They did not leave Wylla waiting for long. The yearling who approached looked like he could be a Saint. His build was like Kynareth and Nyra, but unlike the leaders, this wolf didn't look like he was on steroids. He lacked the cocky attitude as well. Wylla still pegged him for a Saint on first sight. It seemed they still had a presence here in the canyon. She braced herself for a hostile response.

Mereo? she repeated after Kallik spoke. Did the Saints change their name? She couldn't smell any hint of those two meatheads on Kallik, either. Maybe the Saints leaders had flown the coop, and in their absence, the pack rebranded. It would be a relief if only she could guarantee they weren't still a threat.
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
He was surprised to hear her mention the Saints, though his face remained blank, his gaze shrewd. He was instantly suspicious of her. Was she a lost Saint looking for her pack? An inspection of her scent did reveal others, which didn't help clear things up for him. He remembered the two young men on the borders not that long ago; they had been suspicious as well. What if this was someone else trying to gather information. 

The Saints? he answered, pretending not to know who they were. This canyon is claimed by Mereo not by anyone with that name, he continued. Are you looking for the Saints? Maybe feigning ignorance would pull needed information from the stranger.
Inuttuk
Common
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
Wylla was as suspicious of Kallik as he was of her. It was her nature. His words suggested he knew nothing of the Saints, but Wylla wasn't ready to believe him just like that. She knew the Saints to be prideful creatures. Their leaders had behaved like total jackasses on Rivenwood's borders when they visited, carrying on as though they were superior to everyone around them, including the resident pack.

So she knew that a Saint could not resist reacting to an insult.

I wouldn't say that, said Wylla, drawing the last syllable out long. A bunch of slobbering meatheads without enough brain cells among the lot to power a single advanced thought. They live a life of violence because they don't know any better, poor things. Me big. Me stronk. Me bash in skull, take prize woman, me big dick. You know the type. Maybe Kallik did know the sort. He sure could pass for a Saint from appearances alone based on Kynareth and Nyra. It must be a very sad life, being so incredibly stupid. Can't imagine why anyone would want to find them, but they did make the mountains unsafe for everyone else. Just need to make sure they've gone and fucked off. She flashed a toothsome grin.

No doubt Kallik could work out from all that why Wylla cared if they were still here or not, assuming he wasn't a meathead Saint himself. Assuming Mereo was truly a different pack, which she very much wanted to believe. That possibility was why she kept her legs braced all throughout her over-the-top delivery, prepared to spring away at the first sign of aggression.
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Kallik actually found himself slightly amused with her description of the Saints. He had never known any of them directly, but he knew enough about them to know they were not a pack he wanted living in the mountains. 

We would know if a pack with that reputation was anywhere nearby, Kallik told the woman. So I would say they have fucked off.

Do you have a pack near here? the soldier asked. Why else would she be so concerned with whether or not the Saints were still living here.
Inuttuk
Common
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
Kallik's response had Wylla smirking. Seems he wasn't a Saint after all, or if he was, he had to be the most even-tempered one of the lot. Good. Glad they're gone.

That left the issue of this Mereo in the canyon, but as long as they weren't the type to kidnap children and rape women, Wylla didn't foresee any issues. She was a territorial wolf by nature, but only of land she actually claimed. She had never understood other wolves that felt the need to get sticks up their ass about anyone else in their vicinity. It was their own damn fault if they claimed a shitty territory that couldn't support all their needs. It remained to be seen what sort of pack Mereo was.

No pack, said Wylla. There was no reason to be secretive about that. just me, my mate, and my daughter. We've moved back to our former home after leaving to get away from the Saints. With the arrival of the newest pups, they would surely be large enough to stake a small claim, but surely nothing for this Mereo to be concerned about.
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
She had no pack but was staying nearby with her small family. He thought that sounded sort of dangerous, but it was not really his business. 

He was struck with an idea, though. Maybe we could have some sort of an alliance? he proposed. You give us information about anything of interest you hear or see, and we can offer protection if you need it. We are a pack of soldiers. Their side of the deal would potentially cost them more, but he thought it was worth it to have eyes and ears outside of the canyon. 

If she was interested, he would need to speak to the imperator, but he would wait to hear her answer.
Inuttuk
Common
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
Tagging so you can reference this in your Mereo thread if you want, Ebony!

Wylla had never considered that they might require protection, but when Kallik brought it up, it was obvious. Mahler's health was still not the best, and Phaedra was hardly an experienced fighter. She would soon be out of commission when the cubs came. No matter how much she believed in her own capabilities to defend them, it was a good point that with their numbers, they could use the extra help if something happened. A pack of soldiers, huh? Sounded like just the ticket.

I don't have a problem with that, Wylla replied, doubting very much that they would see or hear anything interesting from Sleepy Fox Hollow but having no reason to keep it quiet on the off chance it happened, but I'll need to confer with my mate. @Mahler being an experienced midwife and healer meant he had much more to offer Mereo than mere information, if an agreement was made, but it wasn't Wylla's place to barter his skills. Who knew what he would be willing to do after Rivenwood?

I'll talk to him and send him your way shortly, if that works?
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Kallik wasn't surprised she was interested in the terms he offered. 

He nodded when she stated she would need to discuss things with her mate first. I will talk with the imperator and when your mate returns, they can discuss things further. He saw no reason Germanicus would disagree with the alliance but maybe there was an angle the soldier hadn't considered. 

I am Kallik, one of the guardians of Mereo. He dipped his head respectfully. Maybe he should have started the conversation with his name, but that wasn't his style.
Inuttuk
Common
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
Wylla, she returned, with no suitable title to offer in return. My mate is Mahler. You’ll recognize him by the lilac eyes. Not many wolves boasted the same. Even Phaedra had only a hint of the colour, blended into yellow to create a hue uniquely her own.

She dipped her muzzle respectfully, a silent farewell, and turned away to make the short journey back to the hollow. Kallik said he was a guardian, and he was an excellent one if she did say so herself. She had no doubt Mahler would meet this one when he came by, if he agreed to do so.
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Kallik committed both Wylla and her description of her husband to memory. He would inform the imperator of these things too. 

He offered a nod in return. He would wait until her form disappeared before turning to go find the imperator.
Inuttuk
Common