Dragoncrest Cliffs Anchovy
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
@Meerkat perhaps? <3 That map you shared was a blessing >w<

Swordfish had grown antsy. His paws were restless, and his mind had become more curious about the world outside their den.

It was particularly sunny that day. The young pup had padded out into the open to peer up at the sunlight through squinted eyes. The sun beamed back at him, folding over his frame like a warm blanket. Swordfish thought about what he might do and wanted to go see the sand and water again. He knew that Ray wouldn’t like it – he wasn’t fond of the sand. Instead of going to rouse his brother, Fish padded back to their home to search for his mom.

Ma! Maaa! his voice called out to the immediate area.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
<3 <3 <3

She stopped in her tracks at the sound of her son’s voice calling. Meerkat decided it didn’t sound particularly urgent, though she hastened her step as she returned from the beach proper with a limp seagull in her mouth.

I’m here! she announced as soon as she arrived at the rendezvous site and set the dead bird at her feet. I brought lunch! she added with a flourish of her tail.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Meerkat appeared swiftly, carrying a seagull in her jaws. She set it down at her paws – a lunch for her children. Swordfish approached quickly, almost bowling himself over with the clumsiness of his legs.

Once he was close enough to the bird, he peered at its wide eye with interest. The boy had smelled prey before on his mother and father. It wasn’t uncommon. Swordfish was certain that he’d never really looked at one of the feathered things that closely. It was shaped strangely. It had a long neck that looked much too weak to support any part of it.

Swordfish nosed the seagull and then looked to his mom.

What’s it?
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
It’s food, silly, Meerkat replied, reaching out to nuzzle the top of her son’s head with a fond grin. It’s meat, she continued reassuringly, but specifically it’s a bird of some kind. A gull, I think it’s called. Try it, I bet you’ll like it.

She settled down on a patch of grass nearby, scanning the surrounding area for any sign of the other two. By now, she had gotten more used to their new lifestyle, so she didn’t fret. That said, Meerkat hoped to see them before she set off to hunt up her family’s next meal.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Food?

Swordfish gave the bird a sidelong glance that said there was no way it was food. He looked back toward his mom just as her nuzzle came in. The boy guessed that he could give it a try since she had gone through all the trouble of bringing it back. It looked funny, he thought.

Nosing at the feathers, Swordfish tried to pull a bite away and only managed to get a mouthful of fluff. He spit the little white feathers from his mouth and watched them flutter to the ground. He was pretty sure that wasn’t food. It didn’t even taste like something he could swallow.

Is funny, ma!
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Her attention soon swung back to Swordfish to see what he made of the seabird. Her eyes danced with amusement when he went to take a bite, only to pull back with a mouthful of feathers. He spat them on the ground and declared the prey “funny.”

You’re not wrong, Meerkat said, stepping closer again. Here, it’ll be easier if we pluck off the feathers to get at the meat underneath it. Want to make a game of it? Whoever collects the most feathers wins! she proposed, beginning to slowly tug at the dead bird.
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Mom seemed to think that it would be better if the pulled the fluffy bits out of the bird. She even wanted to make a game out of it.

Swordfish peered at her, uncertain. He thought it could be fun, even if he didn’t like the idea of having the fluffy feathers trapped in his mouth. He wondered if he would get a prize if he beat his mom. As though testing out the suggestion, Swordfish pulled on a few of the feathers and they came out of the bird with only moderate effort.

Okay ma! Let’s play.

Swordfish was ready. He could totally pull every one of those fluffy white things out of that bird. It’d be naked before she knew it.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
It pleased her when he played along without needing further convincing. Naturally, she slowed down her own plucking so that his count could catch up to and surpass hers. Together, they slowly pulled every last feather from the bird’s limp body, revealing the surprisingly small amount of flesh and bone hidden underneath.

See? Meat, she said cheekily when they were done. Give it a try while I count our feathers.
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Swordfish didn’t grow to like the feathers in game-mode. They filled his mouth and stuck to his tongue. He gave his full effort, though. Well… his most effort. He wanted to win to prove to his mom that he was ready for whatever she might throw at him. 

When he heaved an ugly sound and spit the last of the feathers at his paws, Swordfish looked to Meerkat and panted heavily. There was meat under there. She was right. The boy was so happy. His butt swayed and he grinned at his mom. 

We gotta share! Swordfish sniffed at the meat before taking an eager bite.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Meerkat made a show of counting, at least until Swordfish began to eat. Smiling to herself, she hoped he enjoyed the fruits of their labor, though he only took a single bite before pausing to exclaim they ought to share.

Well, you know what they say, Meerkat rejoined, gesturing at his obviously larger pile of feathers. Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Since you won and I lost, I guess I have to do what you say. But I’m not that hungry, so you have what’s called the lion’s share, and I’ll just have a few bites, okay? she said, settling down to nibble alongside her son.
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Would you be alright with another one? Little man loves his mom and I would like to get him a good handful of threads. <3 ^^ I can make it!

The boy beamed at his mother when she said that he had won the chicken dinner. After the first bite of it, Swordfish had all but forgotten the feathers they’d plucked out. The reward had been well worth the effort. The young pup wanted to share this with his brother and sister, as well. 

When Meerkat moved to join him, the boy pressed his ribs to her side. His tail thumped against her. Swordfish looked at his mom with a wide smile. She took a few little nibbles of the treat. Swordfish hummed softly, happy just to spend time with her. 

You a winner too, ma… he whispered, bumping his head to her shoulder in a show of love.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Sure, we can fade/wrap this one!

She chuckled a bit at his riposte, leaning her shoulder into him in an affectionate nudge. Meerkat angled her muzzle to nuzzle the slight crest on top of his head, placing an airy kiss there.

When you’re done, we’ll go find your brother and sister. You wanna keep any of these? she asked, pointing at the feathers. They might make a good blanket or pillow.
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Yeah, I take one for Ray an’ Vix, he answered slowly.

Swordfish selected the nicest looking feathers from the ones they’d plucked and gripped them in his mouth. When he drew close enough to his mom, he shook his head and brushed the feathers against her coat. The boy chuckled softly before trotting off in search of his siblings, pleased to share the reward from his snack.