Wheeling Gull Isle bats full of shame
96 Posts
Ooc — m
All Welcome 
some time ago, elsewhere.

vesper awoke, immediately missing the companion that should be at their side. the cold had already retaken whatever lingering warmth she had left behind. she had been gone for longer than a few minutes, then. the darkling rose to stand, stretching downward with a yawn and then stretching each hind-leg in turn. blinking sleep from their fiery eyes and licking sleep-breath away from their lips, vesper set out to track down her scent.

they moved through the wood, unconcerned. if she hadn't gone to relieve herself, perhaps she had gone to find breakfast for them both; vesper knew she would not leave them alone for long. they trailed the prints in the frosted loam, enjoying the peaceful solitude of the birdsong-filled forest, as eager as they were to be at her side.

a horrible, wet yelp rang out in the distance, and then even the birds fell silent.

vesper ran towards it.

+++

present.

they sat at the shoreline, still as stone. late evening was falling, not yet deep enough in the night for the tide to ebb and reveal the land-bridge. vesper instead took in the sights, sounds, and smell of their childhood as they waited. the craggy, forested isle. the occasional shriek of a gull that had not yet settled for the night. the salt-and-fish scent of the ocean mixing with pine. all of it pulling chaotic memories of their youth back to the surface of their thoughts.
vesper is experiencing their first heat until march 28, 2023.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
He left to fetch supper, planting a wet kiss on @Heda’s cheek before he ventured to the beach. He planned to trawl the shallows as the tide went out, keen to fetch a couple crabs. The thought made Caracal’s mouth water. Lovemaking was quite the workout and the newlyweds had made the most of their makeshift honeymoon.

When he reached the stretch of sand facing the mainland, he glanced absently at it before his eyes dropped to the water to gauge the tide. His gaze then leaped upward again as he squinted at a silhouette on the far shore. Caracal felt his hackles prickle. He wasn’t normally defensive or territorial, yet Heda was still in heat.

Hey! he shouted, moving toward the land bridge still concealed beneath a few inches of freezing seawater.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
96 Posts
Ooc — m
memories faded back, and the present reclaimed vesper. they felt their hackles rise as a figure appeared on the opposing shoreline, close to the arch that marked the bridge. the darkling made no movement or answer beyond a slight narrowing of their eyes, assessing the reddish figure from afar. the isle had been reclaimed, then, and quite possibly by no wolves they would recognize. that caused an uncomfortable feeling in their throat and chest, although they knew they had no right to feel territorial over a home that hadn't been home for the majority of their life.

still. vesper wanted to see it, feel it under their paw-pads. now that it was their choice of where to go, live.

fiery eyes dropped to measure the tide, but those mere inches of slushy water was enough to deter them from crossing. they hated getting wet, even in the high noon of summer. just a few more minutes, and then it would only be damp sand...

hello, they finally called back, voice deep and crackling from infrequent use.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
The stranger returned his greeting, the single word edged with the same austerity as Caracal’s own. Stiff-legged, he sloshed across the submerged sandbar, wondering what this wolf could possibly want. Had they smelled Heda on the sea breeze? The thought made the fur along his spine stand up in a rigid bohawk.

But as Caracal closed the distance, two things hit him in quick succession: this wolf was female and she was familiar. He stopped a few yards away, eyes still narrowed as he tried to place her. A voice far back in his memories whispered, “What do you do in this shithole?”

Now his eyes flung wide as he favored her with the sighted one. Despite the memory, he couldn’t quite recall her name. But a few more snatches of that conversation floated back to him across the vast expanses of space and time.

Hey! he repeated his earlier greeting, although it was much warmer now. Do you still pick fights with—what was it?—badgers? No, wait! Wolverines!
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
96 Posts
Ooc — m
vesper tensed as the stranger began a stiff-legged march across the bridge, muscles preparing for a spar if it came to that. dark lips peeled back to reveal a hint of their teeth, mistaking the male's narrowed eyes for deepening aggression. but he paused, then his eyes widened and his demeanor completely changed. vesper rose to their feet slowly, head slightly lowered to signal a truce; but they did not relax their tense muscles, expression shifting to one of wary neutrality.

wolverines? vesper asked, concerned about his state of mind— not realizing that they were mirroring their first impressions of him that day from so long ago. the darkling lifted their snout, then, watching him cautiously as they worked to decode his scent. whoever the stranger was, he wasn't alone. the scent of another female's heat was an undercurrent of his own fertile scent, and vesper took a subconscious step back, aware of their own fragrant signals and hating it.

they probably would remember him, if vesper took a moment to search for the memory. but they were now too aware and self-conscious of their first heat. being so close to males like this could be dangerous. perhaps this time, vesper was the stupid one.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
She didn’t seem to follow what he was saying, prompting Caracal to try jogging her memory by replying, Yeah, remember that time you got on the wrong side of a wolverine? And I helped you treat your cuts? I never did tell anyone about your fights, he finished with a huff of laughter.

He only wished he could remember her name, though. It would be awkward to ask, seeing as they knew one another already. And they were cousins! Although maybe she wouldn’t take offense, considering she might not even remember him at all…

Hey, what— he began to ask, only for the evening wind to shift and bluster her scent full in his face.

He’d like to think it was because he was a married man now but, honestly, it was much more likely he was just too spent to find the scent alluring. The fact that she was his cousin was probably part of it too. Caracal wrinkled his nose and took a step backward, both movements unconscious.

Catching himself, he cleared his throat and said, What brings you here? Caracal flapped a paw at her, indicating her current state as he added, Do you need somewhere safe to stay—uh, during?
96 Posts
Ooc — m
vesper breathed as he pulled the memory out from where it was hidden. they had forgotten about the caldera, mostly. that time in their life was hazy with depression, fights with whatever angry beasties they could find, and family turmoil. a small smile settled on their features as he assured the secret had been kept, and finally vesper allowed themself to relax. so much time had passed, this red male still as good as a stranger to the darkling, but that thread of trust across the years seemed to be just enough for vesper to feel more at ease.

they winced as caracal— their cousin!— fully read their scent in the changing wind, words dying in his throat. vesper didn't question his reaction, grateful that he didn't seem enticed, whatever the reason. they had come here to once more feel the earth they were born onto, yes, but they supposed they had imagined it an impenetrable fortress. the perfect place to isolate while this unholy thing possessed them, and while they decided on what they really wanted to accomplish by returning home.

i— yes, vesper answered simply, embarrassment unmistakable from behind their stoic mask. who else...? their large ears went back as they struggled to articulate the war of hormones and memory and self-loathing that raged in their head.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Haltingly, she agreed. Caracal took another step backward and motioned for her to follow him back toward the island. The cold surf swirled around his ankles, tugging loose grains of wet sand out to sea. He glanced over his shoulder to make sure Vesper was right behind him.

This is Wheeling Gull Isle, he said, unaware of her history here, and it’s just my wife, Heda, and me living here. He smiled softly as he said her name. She’s actually in heat right now too.

He knew Heda would normally welcome someone in need, though he wondered if hosting another she-wolf in estrus might make her uncomfortable. Caracal hoped his wife knew he wouldn’t touch another woman—cousins or not—but he wanted to make sure he didn’t cross anyone’s boundaries, including his own.

I’m going to take you to the forest this way, he said once they reached the other shore, pointing off to their left. We can find you a comfy spot there while I go tell Heda you’re here. Uh, speaking of which, I kinda forget your name, he admitted sheepishly. Mine’s Caracal.

I know I sent it in Discord but here’s the map again! :)
96 Posts
Ooc — m
vesper hesitated to follow, fiery gaze upon the slowly receding water once more. with a hard exhale to work up their nerve, dark paws gingerly took the the bridge. a shudder rolled through their petite form as the cold seized them up to the ankles. wet paws are better than wet everything, they affirmed silently, and followed from a respectful distance.

you won't even know i'm here, the darkling vowed. cousin or not, vesper was uneasy being too near another female in heat, but sharing this fortress of solitude with a vaguely familiar relative was the best case scenario if they couldn't have the isle all to themself. another layer of protection against unwanted advances.

they tilted their head in a small nod of acquiescence as caracal led them to a hauntingly familiar forest. vesper, was offered in return without ceremony or judgement. then after a few beats, thank you. those words held all the emotion the darkling struggled to put into words: relief, gratitude for caracal's care all that time ago, his care now, the complicated mixture of joy and grief that accompanied this return to their birthplace.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
He licked his lips hesitantly when she told him they wouldn’t even know she was there. Caracal didn’t mean to squirrel her away in the forest and forget all about her. He just wanted to provide her with some shelter while he convened with his wife so he knew exactly how to handle their visitor.

Vesper! he repeated, distracted into a smile. Yeah, of course. I’m glad you showed up here.

Facing forward again, he led her into the gloom beneath the grove of trees brave enough to grow so near saltwater. He walked a little ways into the woods before slowing and stopping, turning to face Vesper through the darkening air.

Okay, so, go ahead and make yourself at home! I’m gonna go let Heda know what’s good, then I’ll be grabbing us some food. I’ll swing by and drop off something for you to eat too. Is there anything else you need before I dip?
96 Posts
Ooc — m
as caracal led them into the gloom, vesper glanced to the skies behind them, perhaps looking for something. it was only for a moment and might be easily missed by her cousin, for the nostalgic wood smell stole the darkling's attention almost immediately. it was as if wisps of a dream had become reality, the dim memories of the isle sharpening to high definition. vesper had been far too young when they left to have memorized every landmark or trail, but it still felt as familiar as their own bones.

i can find my own game, they told him, not wanting to burden caracal or heda more than they were already. i still know my way around, vesper further clarified. but... thank you. again. the darkling decided the next order of business after they settled in would be to find some food for all three of them. building caches for caracal and his mate was the least vesper could do for the imposition.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
You—? he repeated after her, head rearing back in surprise, You know your way around? You’ve been here before?

He pressed his tongue to the slick inside of his cheek as he mulled. So she hadn’t turned up here by total coincidence, seeking a safe harbor during her season. Vesper had sought out this place. Caracal tried to remember if he knew anything about this connection, though he gave up rather quickly. They’d really only had that one conversation.

Well, cool! It’s my favorite place in the whole wide world, he said cheerfully, and I’ve been to quite a few. Anyway, though, mi casa es su casa and all that. I’ll check in with you later then, if that’s cool.

He cocked a paw in a little wave, then turned and glanced up at The Greenhills. He didn’t want to return to Heda empty-handed, though he also didn’t want her to be alarmed should she catch a whiff of Vesper’s scent on the breeze. So he trekked uphill to tell her of his cousin’s arrival and vowed to find her a snack before the pair of them settled in for the night.

!!!
96 Posts
Ooc — m
vesper nodded, and left it at that. overwhelm was beginning to take over— they hadn't known what to expect upon returning home (and very often vesper tried not to worry about anything but the present moment), but this might have been the last on the list. they were sure caracal was anxious and eager to return to his mate, and vesper had no desire to further delay him. take care, they said to his retreating form, expending no extra effort to speak louder than if he stood before them.

the darkling retreated further into the gloom of the nighttime first, seeking out what they would use as a den-site. and then they would wander this edge of the isle and hunt, preferring the darkness to harsh daylight, and bid those childhood memories of happiness that rooted here to grow into something real.