Sleepy Fox Hollow sunset
5 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Joining 
It had been foolish to climb the mountain paths at such a late hour and she knew that now, as the sky deepened in color and the light began to fade. It had been difficult to navigate within the forest that cloaked the hillside, and now seemed impossible; but the girl was growing desperate now, and had become turned around more than once.

It would be sensible to camp for the night. Either that or fumble her way along in the dark, and likely kill herself in the process. She passed what felt like the same tree for the umpteenth time, and with a sigh closed her eyes to recite a prayer for guidance under her breath. 

Viv had found traces of wolf-scent as she had wandered, and the last thing she wanted was to upset anyone in their home - and at such a late hour! Would it benefit her to call out? Maybe; just as well, she could incite panic or confusion and be set upon by teeth. At an impasse, she kept herself in a tight ball beneath the tree and hoped for morning light.
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
It was late, but the howl at the edge of their hollow was enough to spark life in the young guardian. He huffed and rose to his paws, shaking the sleep from his figure. Yellowsharp eyes lifted and searched to gain his grounding. One ear flicked back and Emmerich began his trek to discover who had arrived so late in the night. 

Drawing near the area where the call had sounded, the boy scanned the foliage for signs of a traveler. When he saw her, he watched. It was only for a moment. Emmerich wished to know if she was hurt, if she carried a threat with her. When she did not reveal anything to him in his surveillance, the young wolf stepped from the brush. 

You have come to Paleo, he offered the name of their home. Velcome. How might I assist?
5 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Sleep would not come, nor should it; she was camped out beyond a claim in a place she did not know, and there were dangers everywhere. No amount of prayer could keep her wholly safe; but she still made the effort, murmuring softly to the little people of the woods, and hoping the mountain spirits would take pity.

When she heard movement, Viv was alert to it. She watched the shadows as they birthed a silvered figure, then shrank lowly herself (if such a thing were possible, she was already coiled against the roots of these trees); but she heard what was said, and steeled herself to reply.

I'm lonely, and hungry, and -- oh! How could she delve straight in to a list of her own wants! That was beyond rude. That was greedy and terrible, and she knew better. She clears her throat as she sits up straighter, unfurling some ways. My name is Vivienne; I did not mean to disturb anyone so late...

Is there some arrangement we could make? That I could stay, even for a night? She didn't know how the adults managed this! It was all new to her; dispersal was the worst thing to ever happen in her life, and now she had to make a go of it alone, and find her place upon the earth.
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The woman was swift to speak up. She was lonely and hungry. After admitting as much, she must have realized that this was her attempt to make a first impression. Her posture straightened and she moved into an introduction of herself. Vivienne, she was called. The name was spoken with an attempt to soothe the young guardian who had come to her.

Vivienne, he repeated with a slight wave of his tail.

I am Emmerich. Ve are small here, but if you have skills, you vould be velcome in Paleo.

They had focuses, of course. The pack did well to establish trade routes between their hollow and the packs on the mountainside. Emmerich didn’t think that a woman who was lonely and hungry would be cast into the wilds, if she had strength of her own.

Tell me about yourself, Vivienne. Vhat are your skills, hm?

Emmerich’s yellow eyes were bright and inquisitive.
5 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The boy had an odd way of speaking, but not an unpleasant one. There was a sharpness to some of the sounds that Vivienne had not expected; her ears twitched, and then she was busy thinking of a response to his answer - and considering many things. He gave a name for himself and for this place; she recited them to herself as she contemplated how to answer about her skills.

Well, um, I come from a family of naturalists, I suppose you could call them. It felt odd to speak of her family - painful, to some degree, and it somewhat alienated her to think of them because the emotion she felt was so strong and so private, equally. My brothers are squires and knights; my father a paladin, and my mother a -- witch, some have called her; but Viv could not say this - healer. She taught me about the natural world and how to appreciate all that live within it. Ecology, then.

I'm a bit of a jack-of-all-trades. Which wasn't much to present, thought Vivienne. She was truly a master of nothing! But I learn quickly, and -- anything I can help with, I'll happily put in the work. I like to be busy. She felt suddenly bashful, and concerned that she'd not said the magic words that might win her a home.
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
I can be skipped from here! I'm a bit absent while dealing with health and life matters and I don't want to hold anything up. <33

Naturalists are velcome here, Emmerich offered with a friendly wave of his tail.

The other things she listed off were not things that the boy recognized. He’d never heard of a paladin or a knight. They sounded silly, made-up things. The young guardian did not wish to be rude to the woman who sought to help their pack. Paleo could use the work of a strong naturalist. It would help them expand their ability to trade with other packs and would possibly teach them new skills.

Let me call for my papa, he said with a small dip of his snout. Emmerich lifted his head and called out to @Mahler to come to the border of the hollow. It was late, but the young wolf knew that his father would be there. The gargoyle was reliable in the best of ways.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
<3

quite intriguing indeed.
emmerich called and the gargoyle attended, charcoal ears sharp with interest. women seeking a pack in spring often meant they would root themselves with cubs.
and it had in years past meant he was their intended provider.
she was young and thin. his fatherly heart wondered if she hungered. "hallo," he greeted them both. "vhat can i do for you?"
[Image: 2711649b07fc604164cb120b1b417fa3cf47bccc_00.gif]
5 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The boy was willing to call for someone, which was a good sign. Vivienne let out a small sigh and let her gaze graze their face, thankful, but still very nervous. Those nerves frayed the longer they waited; it wasn't long. When the man came she looked shyly after him — sizing him up, and trying to put order to her thoughts enough to rehash what might be valuable. The boy had said naturalists were welcome, so she would lean on that.

Hello, her head gave a little dip as she averted her eyes. I suppose it is.. More, what I might do for you? If I could work for a place to sleep, or food to eat, that is. This felt awkward no matter how she phrased it. Viv gave a hard swallow and tried to straighten up.
Don't slouch, now! Her mother would have no doubt squalled at her.

I don't eat much. I'll keep to myself mostly, and... I could gather things for you. My mother taught me a lot about the plants and um, the weather, and -- medicines, I suppose. It was hard to put a label on what exactly she knew, and what she could only pretend to know. The more Viv spoke of her mother's talents the more her heart hurt.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
"there is alvays a place here for those to do good vork," mahler intoned, though not so gravely. "i am a doktor und midvife by trade. ve have another here already setting up her own plants," he said in reference to @Paeon.
vivienne, emmerich had said of her name. she was polite and healthy, and paleo would need more bodies to support what he hoped was only a late start to this year's litter he and wylla might produce. therefore with a glance to his son, she was accepted, invited into paleo. "vhat do you know of field medicine, frau vivienne?"
5 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The man had as many skills as her beloved mother. It hurt her heart to think about the woman, so the moment was brief; but the familiarity made her happy, and a part of Vivienne was softened. She had grown to be wary of her mother for her eccentricities and hoped this man was somehow different. So far, he appeared kind and welcoming.

His question earned a shy aversion of her eyes, which she blinked rapidly as she tried to gather her thoughts to answer. A little. It was more my mother's realm, and she was insistent on teaching me but — I admit, it was hard to grasp. Hopefully that wouldn't detract from all she had said earlier.

I can wrap wounds. I know some basic pain relief - willow bark chewed, for example - and the importance of cleanliness. It felt like one of those familiar quizzes her mother would pester her for, except in this instance there was nobody to box her ears for speaking the wrong way.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
she was shy, careful in the way she spoke of her mother. mahler would remember this perhaps, for another time. "very good. join us as an herbalist. you vill learn."
he gestured, and emmerich stepped; mahler showed that vivienne should do the same. "i could use another pupil," the chieftain said with a broad smile.
her hesitance was not a mark against her.