Meadowlark Prairie I hope it's already too late
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
@Ingrid

A bit of snow had fallen overnight, leaving an even layer of white that spanned the meadows, already dotted with footprints left behind by the early risers that had travelled to the safety of the woodlands by sunrise. Bronco crossed the meadow, having already scanned it to see nothing of note. The snow wasn't too thick, so he was able to skim through the snow without too much issue. 

He investigated the tracks left behind, discerning which were fresh and which kinds of animals had passed through overnight. Nothing unexpected- deer, rabbits, a coyote, a fox. Staler scents revealed that other wolves had been in the area, but as far as he could tell, he was the first to pass through since the night had passed. 

Hoping he might be able to find a fresh trail, he zig-zagged his way across the meadows, nose hovering just above the snow's surface, keen on finding something he might be able to catch up with and eat. 

He'd stopped to ponder if he'd have any luck trailing a set of fresh rabbit tracks when it happened. He didn't hear the predator swoop down, nor had he seen its shadow. But the juvenile bald eagle dropped from the sky, talons outstretched. He caught sight of it only a moment before it hit the ground, slamming into the snow with an audible thunk, and the air resonated with what he thought was a sickening smack. He heard the high squeal of a rabbit, and the scuffling of paws, wings and claws. Attention perked, he bounded toward the scene fully expecting to see the eagle take off into the sky with the rabbit in tow but it didn't. 

While its aim had been fair, it had not judged just how thin the snow had been. The rabbit was paralyzed, but still alive and the eagle reeled in shock, hooked beak open as it cried out in ullulating cackles. One of its legs had been broken when it hit the ground. Bronco couldn't be sure exactly how badly injured it was, as it shifted and had its wings partially opened. With eyes wild and dark it eyed him and fell silent, its mouth still agape. It didn't look like it was going to take off anytime soon, if it even could, but it didn't look keen to give up its meal, either. The two predators eyed one another in an uneasy standoff, while Bronco tried to decide if it was worth trying to snag the rabbit at the risk of being bitten- or if the eagle, too, could be eaten, or if he should show it mercy.
Messages In This Thread
I hope it's already too late - by RIP Bronco - December 07, 2021, 09:16 PM
RE: I hope it's already too late - by Ingrid - December 07, 2021, 09:40 PM
RE: I hope it's already too late - by RIP Bronco - December 07, 2021, 09:53 PM
RE: I hope it's already too late - by Ingrid - December 07, 2021, 10:22 PM
RE: I hope it's already too late - by RIP Bronco - December 07, 2021, 10:37 PM
RE: I hope it's already too late - by Ingrid - December 07, 2021, 10:51 PM
RE: I hope it's already too late - by RIP Bronco - December 07, 2021, 11:39 PM
RE: I hope it's already too late - by Ingrid - December 08, 2021, 12:02 AM
RE: I hope it's already too late - by RIP Bronco - December 08, 2021, 12:16 AM
RE: I hope it's already too late - by Ingrid - December 08, 2021, 01:01 AM
RE: I hope it's already too late - by RIP Bronco - December 08, 2021, 01:26 AM