Broken Antler Fen seadog
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Joining 
Reyes chose to leave the border of the caldera after all. He went to next best place, which in his mind was Brecheliant; following the worn trail that Teya had used, along which he found the dulled scent of Bridget that only grew stronger where it mingled with others, along the edge of the fen. 

Much as he would have liked staying within Phantom Hollow, it was a lonely place. There was no way for the young man to build anything there; besides, the fen was closer to home, and his children. He only hoped that he would be welcome.

He raised his chin and called briefly for @Teya, as she was the only wolf he knew among the ranks. Whether she was home or not remained a mystery — although her trail seemed fresh as he sat by the fen's limits, that could have been a trick of the claim's mark.
Brecheliant
Raven*
1,139 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Fisher
vague but i have a general idea of how that thread will play out soon

upon returning, teya had gone to see the medic and visit wraen's grave, whispering in an aggrieved monotone of all that had gone on. apologies to follow, for she had never wanted to center brecheliant so terribly, and now they had.
and then suddenly there was reyes, calling for her. 
the young woman padded in that direction, filled with curiosity and surprise. but she had not forgotten what she'd said beside the slow crook of the river, and swayed her plume with delight as she made her arrival.
"reyes."
[Image: zTO57rj.png]
Brecheliant
NPC
a hundred mini dreams and a healing scar ♥
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
After his talk to Teya about Redhawk Caldera, Eljay was a little nervous when he heard the call. He recognised it as Redhawk Caldera and set off on his way to the borders with an apologetic glance at Maia (and an offer that she could go, if she wanted). Only when he was on his way did Eljay realise the call had been Reyes. He felt a nervous jitter as he thought of all that had happened with Reyes prior to Eljay's own disappearance from Redhawk Caldera. He'd bitten Niamh, after she had tried to make him submit because he was being aggressive. That was Niamh's side of the story, anyway. Eljay wondered about Reyes'. He wondered what he was doing here, now, and why he called for Teya specifically.

Ears perked forward curiously as he arrived, and he waited beside Teya, searching eyes waiting to hear what had brought Reyes here today. There was a friendly but guarded smile on the caretaker's face as he regarded Reyes.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
It didn't take long before the girl appeared. She greeted him, although there wasn't time to reply before a second body came striding along the fen's more solid pathways. Reyes couldn't remember if he'd met Eljay previously, not until he was closer and recognition spread between the two men.

Sorry to ask this of you, but can I stay here? Reyes didn't know if he should be asking Teya or Eljay about it, and had forgotten that the man even lived here until this point. Maybe it would be harder to find acceptance when the decision was up to yet another Redhawk; Reyes was growing tired of their judgement and denial.

I'm not welcome at the Caldera. My kids are there, and Towhee, and I swore I'd never choose to leave them. I need to be somewhere close so that when they grow up they can know me. And maybe it would give Reyes a chance to talk to Towhee when she was feeling better too.
Brecheliant
Raven*
1,139 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Fisher
before she had a chance to speak, reyes made his own brusque introduction to the silent and careful eljay. "reyes with me when i speak to fennec and ruenna at caldera. before that, i meet him after he — leave caldera," she added, not wanting to spill his business in front of the auspex.
"he has not been allowed to see children," she continued firmly. "it not right, and i not care if redhawks know he is here."
brash but deferential, the fisherwolf looked toward eljay.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay remembered that Reyes had attacked Niamh and from thereon he didn't even know he'd rejoined the Caldera - let alone left again. The information was a bit much and Eljay found himself wondering why Reyes had been cast out. He didn't want it to be dangerous for his own children. But then again, Eljay also saw some of the same world-weariness in Reyes' eyes that he himself felt when he left the Caldera. He nodded eventually. This was what Brecheliant was supposed to be. A safe haven.

Alright, yeah - of course, he said with a nod. Of course you can stay here. He repeated with a soft smile. Teya said she didn't care if the Redhawks knew that he was here. It shouldn't matter, for sure. And it wasn't like they'd visited him at all, so Eljay didn't expect trouble from it. Besides, they'd helped Towhee - Bridget had.

Eljay asked then, What... What happened, Reyes? Niamh said you attacked her. Can you tell me what happened after that..? He just wanted to know, well, everything.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The tension Reyes felt was short lived. Relief flooded him next as Eljay agreed, accepting him. Though it came with a question that had Reyes sighing; he didn't want to rehash things but it would be necessary.

He looked only to the man.

We fought, as you know. She ran off. Things settled down after that but Niamh did not come home. Reyes couldn't remember the specifics of that or whether Eljay had still been with the Caldera at the time.

Towhee and I have three kids now. A set of twin girls and a son. Thinking of them made his chest hurt. 

I had journeyed to the coast to visit my parents, to tell them of the changes in my life and see if they would want to meet their grandchildren someday. When I got back I... I couldn't find the kids. Then my boy Caracal came out of nowhere, and... I reacted.

I grabbed him before I knew what was happening. Towhee was angry. I tried to apologize and she wouldn't hear it. he missed the irony of that statement. So I'm out. It paints me in a bad light, I know that. If it makes you feel more comfortable I will stay away from any children within your claim.

He didn't know what else to say. But he sighed, wearied by the retelling. I'll keep myself separated and focused on work. Whatever you need me to do.
Brecheliant
Raven*
1,139 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Fisher
teya listened, remembering the words that reyes had used alongside the river. 
but she had not heard the name niamh before, and if she had, the girl did not remember. another woman, and this one had not come home.
tucking this away to peruse later, teya stood steadfast in her want for reyes to join them. brecheliant would be a good resting point for him, whatever was decided with towhee and their young later.
it explained much of why he had not responded to her during their first meeting, though wickedly she thought to herself it might be easier, with him here in the fen and in need of comforting.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
For Eljay it was all a bit muddled. Niamh didn't come home? After when? Reyes had apparently returned to Redhawk Caldera, and Niamh must've left before he did. Or after? Eljay was unsure, but those details didn't matter so much now. Reyes shared the news that he and Towhee now had three children. Congratulations, he shared, even though the news was overshadowed by the fact that Reyes stood here, at Brecheliant's borders, rather than living in Redhawk Caldera with his family.

It sounded like Reyes had only grabbed Caracal — one of his children — but not hurt him, as far as Eljay could tell. While it was tough (Eljay wasn't sure how he'd react if anyone grabbed one of his own children in that way; even if they weren't physically hurt, they could be traumatised from such an act) it seemed excessive that he would be thrown out from that. Perhaps it was because it was piled up on top of everything else; on top of the fight with Niamh, and everything.

Eljay opened his mouth to ask about it further. To ask his side of the Niamh-fight. To ask if Caracal'd been hurt at all. But did it really matter now? Where'd Niamh go? Eljay asked, just wanting to know about it, at least. When I left she still lived at Redhawk Caldera.

The matter with him attacking the child, well, that was water under the bridge now, as far as Eljay was concerned. He hesitated when Reyes offered to stay away from the children and only work for the pack. I don't want to tell you what to do, Eljay said. He looked at Reyes, his expression serious. If you don't trust yourself around them, then please stay away until they're a bit older. I'm not going to uhm, command you or tell you what to do, though. I trust you. Eljay smiled encouragingly at Reyes as he said the last. He felt in his heart that he was making the right choice, even though it was terrifying right now. What if Reyes did make a mistake and hurt one of the children? Yet, if he was always judged and punished for his past actions, even here in Brecheliant where the actions hadn't taken place, then he would never get another chance at living.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Reyes shook his head. He could only answer with a vague little shrug and an, I don't know. It was the truth. Last he knew, Niamh had run off.

To the next bit he nods, sighing. I do trust myself. I know I'm not a danger to children - what happened with my son was an accident. He came out of nowhere, I was... Surprised, I guess. He hadn't meant to make himself sound so unstable and now it felt like he'd shot himself in the foot.

I think I'll keep to border patrols and hunts, if that's acceptable. Anything that pays off the debt I owe you for taking me in - whether they agreed there was a debt or not, Reyes would do the work. -and yes, I do owe you. I'm very thankful.
Brecheliant
Raven*
1,139 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Fisher
teya listened, smiling with a sudden sisterly warmth as eljay spoke so kindly to reyes.
and reyes, giving their auspex — his own, now — the proper amount of respect besides.
she stepped forward with a smile for them both. "i patrol with him. show you how to hunt here." welcoming, offering a brush of her own scent to one of his scarlet shoulders.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay mentally noted that he should ask about Niamh if he ever gathered the courage to visit Redhawk Caldera again. It might be a sore subject to them, but Niamh had been his friend and he wanted to know what had happened. Even if he couldn't bring her back now.

Even though Reyes said that he was no threat to the children, and that he only attacked Caracal because he was surprised, Eljay still felt worry on his mind. Yet he had said he would trust Reyes the amount he trusted himself, and so he stuck by his point, merely nodding at Reyes' words.

He was still relieved though when Reyes next said that he would stay to patrols and hunts for now. Yes, of course, Eljay said hastily when Reyes asked for permission. You are a member of our pack now, Reyes. Like I said -- I trust you, or I wouldn't have let you in. I trust you to decide for yourself what's smart and good. I'm sure you'll do well. Eljay smiled warmly at Reyes, hoping to bump his confidence a little. He knew what it was like to be put down by Towhee, even though with him of course it was in a different way. He wanted Reyes to know that he wasn't like that; wouldn't judge the way she did.

Teya then said she'd take Reyes for a patrol and Eljay smiled again. Very well. See you around, then. He offered another warm, welcoming smile to Reyes and a wave of his tail. Eljay waited another moment, but if no one had any more questions for him he would take off again, back to Maia and the pups.