Dawnlark Plains glass eyes
367 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Away
All Welcome 
OOC: Keeping some minor details vague in regards to her return from Rivenwood. @Ingvar

Once again, Keyni struck out on her own, away from the Glacier. But not too far. She knew the time to leave was drawing near. She also knew that nothing was holding her back any longer than necessary, except for the friendships with Lane and Issorartuyok. She had done her part and helped out where she could, as promised. Still, despite her want to move on, some small force compelled her to hang back just a little longer.

Hunger was a familiar companion to her these days. And honestly, the usually patient female was getting tired of it. There was nothing to be done with the absence of large prey in the region. Except settle for smaller, bite sized options. Here, in these rock dotted, rolling plains, the quarry seemed to be hiding. Eluding the predator in their midst, as if on purpose. That very well may be, with their increased targeting. Keyni sighed and placed herself a short distance from a rabbits burrow. By the twitching of her tail and shift of her hips, her patience was being stretched thin. She would only wait so long for a head to pop out before she started digging.
11 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Ingvar traveled south, no real long term plans on his mind. He felt like he'd really taken that "today is the first day of the rest of your life" advice to heart, and Ingvar continued to live in the moment. The stark white wolf didn't worry about what would come or what had passed; he simply remained in the now.

He had gotten lucky earlier that day, managing to scrounge up two rabbits in one go. Not one to be wasteful, he'd eaten the first and taken the second. He thought it might make a good gift for whoever he happened to run into next. Lo' and behold, only a few hours went by before he spotted somebody.

With the rabbit still in his mouth, he let out a muffled bark, wagged his tail, and raised his eyebrows twice in greeting.
wrapping up threads for now!

Fluent in English, Swedish, and Finnish.
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
hope this is ok!

the Redtail wolves do not own the plains as well as the Rise—but after Kanuk's death at the hands of a malevolent stranger, Avicus is wary of any unfamiliar face that dares to cast the barest shadow upon her land.

she sees the man first, a rabbit dangling from his bloodied maw. he greets a woman that digs—

digging. . .a cache? a den? did they mean to settle?

not so close. not on her watch.

Avicus lopes imperiously toward the pair, tail flagging up and lips lifting in a snarl. she thinks of seizing the prey from his jaws but decides against it, instead pulling to an abrupt halt some paces from them, lifting her chin and surveying them with a gimlet twilight gaze.

who you? she barks. why you here?
but see, amid the mimic rout,
a crawling shape intrude —
a blood-red thing that writhes from out
the scenic solitude
367 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Away
Sure! Just for clarification, Keyni is stationed by a rabbit den, not actively digging at it. <3

No sound. No movement. Not so much as the tip of an ear peeking out of the earth. She pressed her lips together. The critters were smart. They must know their numbers were being worn thin. As if it were much of a problem for their species, who excelled in reproduction. She exhaled a puff of air, blown at the dry soil. Just when she was about to get up, she saw the white figure.

They called to her in a soft bark, with a friendly eyebrow wiggle. Instantly, several wolves she knew with a coat likened to his came to mind. With the blue eyes though, he was most certainly not Kigipigak or Selamuit. She got up slowly, smiling subtly as if to say 'really, for me?'

Before she could open her mouth and engage, another voice filled the silent air. This one, not so friendly. Demanding. Swiftly, she found the fiery agouti female, aggressively pressing in close. Licking her chops, the Tundrian lowered her head defensively, but stood her ground. "Not anyone you need be concerned with." She stated evenly, without sarcasm. "I was staking out this warren for a meal..." She looked then, dismally to the hole in the earth. Pursuing the endeavor any further would be a wasteful effort. "Are these your hunting grounds?" She queried. "If so, then we will be on our way." She edged towards the white male, hopeful he would take her cue. That is, if they would be pardoned so easily.
11 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Just when she was about to reply, somebody else muscled their way into the conversation. Which wasn't much of a bother to Ingvar. The more, the merrier! Okay, so this lady didn't seem particularly happy to see them, but Ingvar was a little slow on the uptake. Luckily, it seemed like the first wolf was happy to take the lead and guide the conversation. Ingvar, the affable fellow he was, followed along with ease.

He dropped the rabbit at his feet and shrugged sheepishly. My apologies, he said, happy to leave the rabbit if she really wanted it. And hey, maybe she'd be nicer next time they met!

899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
sorry for the wrong assumption!

there had been too many wolves upon Moonglow's slopes to remember this woman. had she recalled the face, the scent, she'd be much more aggressive. 

those teeth, that had shattered her ankle—

as it is, she looks between the two with simple wariness. my pack, 'dhat way, she says curtly, jerking her head toward the Rise. one of mine killedh' o'hher day.

her nostrils flare; neither smell is familiar, and definitely hadn't painted the northern woman's broken body.

'hhlooking for warriorhh, hun'herhh. you are?

her broken speech does her no favors, but she figures she must inquire, anyway. if they are to linger nearby, Avicus might as well get some use out of them. and she has an established home, a group of wolves. . .
the scenic solitude
367 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Away
Fortunately for both women, neither of them recognized the other from that day at Moonglow. The russet one indicated the direction her pack was in. That one of their own had been slain. While she remained guarded, Keyni did let her ears splay slightly. "That is unfortunate. My apologies for your loss."

Her speech was broken. Not quite so easy to interpret. But, Keyni managed to make out the deformed words rolling off her tongue. "Not a warrior, no. But I am a proficient hunter." Her eyes lifted to linger on the largely empty landscape. "I have not had much chance to put those skills to practice. Further east, the large game has been wiped out." Back to the Redtail she looked, curiously. Was she and her pack aware of the shortage in the Tagia?
11 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Warrior? Ingvar asked, then chuckled. I would not say so. Ingvar was many things, but a warrior he was not. Sociable? Absolutely. Friendly? Check! Great at flirting? He liked to think so!

I, uh... I am good at some other stuff, though! Really good at making friends, but I am not sure that's really what you are looking for. Typically, one wasn't interested in the sociable type if they were out here looking for warriors. The two personalities rarely lined up.

899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
she dips her head at the woman's sympathies, eyes solemn. they each answer in turn, the first of them seemingly more confident in the other. she's not noticed any egregious lack of game, but then, she figures scarcity is just the nature of winter.

we needh hunhh'erh, she says baldly, throwing caution to the wind. her gaze shifts to the man, and grows deep-set and wry. an' frienhh'.

if it must be her, here to recruit, she'll do her best. she'd much prefer if her war-chieftain or huntmaster—far more eloquent by both circumstance and anatomy—would make these overtures, but as it were. . .

and still no spark of recognition on her part toward either of the parties before her. if you needh a home, Avicus adds, with a brief shrug.

she will not ignore an opportunity like this, but she certainly won't beg, either.
the scenic solitude
367 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Away
The Tundrian would not remain a total stranger to the Tagia. Not when knowing there was a shortage of prey. Perhaps, come spring, the herds will have returned, their health renewed. The young lady who she had a skirmish with before (still lost to her own memory), brokenly said she needed capable hunters. Friends as well.

Drawing in a breath, she stole a curious glance to the unnamed white boy. Judging by his attitude, she certainly didn't doubt he was easy to be-friend. As able as she was in understanding and tracking down prey, Keyni politely declined the offer with a soft shake of her head. "I will keep it in mind, but I am afraid I already have plans. A promise to keep, for a friend." She tipped her chin down, locking eyes earnestly. "But if I am ever in the area, should you need my assistance, then I will be happy to help."
11 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
It seemed a mismatch for the lot of them. The broken-talking wolf didn’t appear overeager to take them home, and his newfound buddy Keyni already seemed to have plans. Ingvar did feel a tinge of wishing he could go with both of them, but he thought he’d probably mesh better with Keyni, even if it was only for a short while before they parted ways.

I will keep you in mind, too, he said. Then he stood awkwardly trying to figure out if they should leave or let the broken-talking wolf do so first.

899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
a promise to keep. it's noble; she's kept such promises, sometimes to her own grave detriment. she nods to each of them in turn, one final time.

if they were meant to, they would come.

she'll return to this place and its surrounding vista in the days to come to make sure they were really gone. she cannot have unaffiliated hunters on her doorstep. if anyone were to shed blood here, they'd be doing it under her command.

for now, she leaves them to their own devices, ears still canted to listen behind her as she begins the slow ascent back toward the Rise.
the scenic solitude
367 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Away
There were no more words left to be said between her and the russet woman. They concluded the meeting on a neutral, if not peaceful standing. Dipping her chin a silent nod, she bid her farewell. Then, she turned to the white man. "I will be on my way. Best of luck in your travels, wherever they take you." She assumed he had a different agenda than her, but would not stop him in case he wished to follow her path. Turning north, the Tundrian began to slip away, out of sight.
11 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Ingvar had hoped for an open invite, but he wasn't heartbroken when one didn't come. Instead, he waved his paw as she trailed off, and he did the same.