Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Limit Two 
She loved her children dearly, though Meerkat stole away from the den this morning to take some time to herself. She actually craved a proper adult conversation without any (adorable) interruptions. And there were many wolves on the mount she had yet to meet. It became her objective to seek out at least one of them to chat today.

Meerkat roamed the lower eastern slopes, following a familiar path toward the Altar of Twilight. She studied some of the unfamiliar scents scattered around the mountainside, like @Ukulele’s and @Wicca’s. Then there was @Penn’s, which wasn’t entirely unfamiliar, though she still couldn’t place him.

The trail narrowed into a steep downward plunge. Meerkat dug her heels into the hard ground and carefully picked her way past a cluster of pines. Soon the ground began to even out underfoot, though she stopped just shy of the borders edging into the neighboring valley.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
529 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Penn hadn't done too much to integrate with the rest of the pack. It wasn't that he wasn't interested. More so that he just hadn't made the effort. His days had been spent exploring the territory and hunting, sometimes within the borders and sometimes outside. That day, he'd been outside, and was just on his way back in when he came across a familiar face.

"'Eyyy un' I 'owe 'oo?" Penn mumbled through a mouthful of dead raccoon, his head canting to one side.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
There were a lot of objects scattered on the ground here, catching Meerkat’s eye. Was there anything she might like to take back to the girls as a plaything? Before she could properly scour the offerings, she smelled the scent of a fresh kill and heard footsteps coming toward her.

This was Penn, she was strangely sure of it. He mumbled something around the large carcass in his maw. Meerkat looked back at him in bemusement, trying to puzzle out what he’d said.

‘I owe you’…? she tried, though it didn’t make sense. Oh! she exclaimed in the next breath, sounding it out having given her a clue. ‘I know you’? Meerkat guessed again. Do you recognize me? Because you’re familiar but I can’t place you…

Maybe he would consider setting down the dead raccoon to properly talk about it. Meerkat burst into light laughter at the silliness of the exchange so far.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
529 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
The girl turned to him with a look of curiosity, which Penn understood easily enough. He shook his head to let her know that wasn't what he'd said, but she figured it out quickly. His head shake turned into a nod along with a wag of his tail. He did know her, though the exact details were escaping him still. Apparently, he wasn't alone in the thought.

"'Ah, 'oo ook faffiffa," Penn replied before shaking his head at himself and dropping the raccoon. His licked his teeth to clear out any fluff before giving a grin and trying again. "There, that might work better," he said, "But yeah, you look familiar. I can't really remember where I know you from, though. Did I run into you while you were looking for someone a couple years back?"
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
He tried to talk around the raccoon again, earning another huff of laughter and an arched brow from Meerkat. Taking his cue, Penn set down his catch and continued his thought, his speech perfectly understandable now. And his words certainly jogged a memory…

Oh, she said softly when it finally clicked. I ran into you when I was looking for Atlas. I can barely remember anything that was said, I was half out of my mind with exhaustion and fear at the time. But you tried to help me, I think…

The memory was still a little sad, though Meerkat was so far removed from that era of her life at this point, it was like looking back on someone else’s life. She tipped her head, trying to recall more details, before shaking it and deciding she would rather not dwell on bygone tragedies.

In any case, it’s nice to run into you again, Penn. You came here with my sister and nephew, didn’t you? How do you know them? Meerkat wondered, eyes bright with curiosity.
529 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Apparently, he had been on the right track. He smiled a little as she spoke, though her words didn't illuminate any more of the memory for him. He quirked a brow and grinned at her last, though. "Did I? How chivalrous of me," Penn commented with a smirk. He doubted he'd actually tried to help, but that didn't seem like a confession worth making.

It took him a moment to wonder about the sister and nephew she spoke of. He thought to correct her and explain he came with Fenn and Killdeer, but fortunately it clicked in time. "Fenn is your sister?" he asked, just to make sure he wasn't wrong, "I've known her since we were kids. Just met Killer, though."
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
When Penn mentioned how long he’d known Fennec, another piece of that memory resurfaced from the deeps of her mind. He was a Blackthorn. They’d met at Brecheliant, if memory served. That explained why she hadn’t known him better herself, even though Meerkat knew the Redhawks and Blackthorns had always been tightly interwoven.

Me too, Meerkat said, even though she’d technically met him as an infant. He seems very sweet. If you just met him, does that mean you were… away? she guessed. I’m glad she has you now, in any case. I know she’s been through a lot of bullshit lately. Her words, Meerkat mused, lips pursing a bit.
529 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Penn really didn't know much about Killer to be able to offer anything to her words about him. He did seem like a super nice kid, which was honestly a little surprising considering who his parents were. Plus, his name was Killer. The irony. Not being one to force anything, though, he hadn't sought the boy out to try and build a relationship with him, so his observations were few and impersonal thus far, and really not at all worth sharing.

"Something like that," Penn replied with a shrug. He quirked a brow at her comment about how Fenn had him now, unable to help the smirk that drifted across his lips. "And how do you know I'm not part of that bullshit?" Penn asked, his tail waving softly.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
He made a valid point. Meerkat tipped her head slightly, pondering it. An intrusive thought pushed its way into her mind: was she losing her touch? Her counseling skills—namely her intuition and her ability to listen and provide thoughtful feedback—felt lacking lately. For now, she brushed away that unwelcome thought and maintained a relatively light take on this exchange.

I guess I assumed, Meerkat rejoined. I’m not close to Fennec, though somehow I can’t see her allowing you to live here if you were part of the problem, she opined with a dry chuckle. And, well… I did speak with her briefly. I was under the impression it had to do with Bronco, though she wasn’t actually forthcoming with the details.

She wouldn’t dream of pestering Killdeer for the dirt. And Meerkat liked to think she was above gossip. But she did wonder what Penn might know and whether he could fill in some of the blanks. Meerkat was curious for curiosity’s sake. But also, despite being so wrongfooted lately, she was truly concerned about Fennec. She still wondered how she could support her in a way that her sister could actually use.
529 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Penn didn’t really know if he was or wasn’t currently causing any bullshit in Fenn’s life. He knew he wasn’t a major source of it (not this time anyway), but he might still be a small contributor. He hoped that might change for the better since their last encounter, but he didn’t spend much time worrying about it. He was just going to go along for the ride. And try not to fuck it all up too badly this time.

Meerkat continued then, sharing some seemingly idle comments about Fenn. Penn chuckled softly and gave a nod, agreeing fully that he probably wouldn’t be there if Fenn really hadn’t wanted him around. The rest of her comments were… interesting, though.

She seemed kind and authentic in her concern, and yet Penn didn’t like the way it felt almost as if she were fishing for dirt. He felt oddly protective of Fenn in that moment, and it was a wholly bizarre experience. He’d never felt the need to really defend her before. Perhaps it was the vulnerability she’d shown him last time they spoke. Maybe he’d just changed in ways he hadn’t before realized. Or, maybe he really needed a nap.

”Got me,” Penn replied with a casual shrug and a smile, ”I’m not one to pry.” He leaned down to nibble at an itch on his foreleg, letting his words settle for a moment. ”It’s why I can boast that I’ve known her for four years and I still have my face,” he said with a grin as he straightened.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Her skin flushed a little at Penn’s comment. Point taken, she thought. She only meant well and it bothered Meerkat that she couldn’t seem to do anything right when it came to Fennec, though she knew she needed to note and respect the boundaries around her sister. It was difficult, though she must leave the ball in Fen’s court.

Understood, she said simply, forcing a smile despite her chagrin. Well, I won’t keep you from your meal much longer, Meerkat continued, looking at the dead raccoon heaped at his feet, but I’d love to invite you to stop my family’s ulaq sometime if you like, Penn, assuming you don’t mind being mauled by babies.
529 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Meerkat took his point a little harder than he’d intended, which told him not that he’d been too harsh, but that she was a sensitive wolf. Noted.

Penn’s smile didn’t falter as she abruptly tried to excuse herself. It was easy, since he thought her behavior was pretty amusing. His eyes dropped to the raccoon, but his ears perked as she spoke. He breathed in her scent and finally placed a paw on the oddly sweet smell she carried. She was a mother.

”You’ve got little ones?” Penn asked, lifting his gaze back to Meerkat with honest curiosity. Ever since he’d decided to leave his grown children to their own lives, a nagging thought refused to leave his mind. He’d fucked up his chance to be a dad to them, but that didn’t mean he would never get another chance.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She had no idea how he’d respond to her little joke. Most wolves seemed fond of children, though Meerkat knew they weren’t everyone’s cup of tea. She didn’t know much about Penn, though his reaction boded well. She still felt a little abashed, though her smile came much more easily now.

Yes, Orca and Seal are about six weeks old, she replied, then paused to think that over before amending, Actually, I think they’re closer to seven now. In any case, they’re definitely little. I have some bigger ones too. I’m sure you’ll meet my yearling son, Ray, at some point.

That reminded her of her objective prior to Penn’s appearance. Meerkat might’ve invited him to accompany her back home if he’d like to meet them now, though she’d only just started her break. And faux pas aside, she was enjoying the opportunity to speak to another adult and get to know a new pack mate. But perhaps he wouldn’t mind helping in her little endeavor?

Before you walked up, I was actually looking through all this junk on the ground, hoping I might find a suitable toy or two to take back to them, Meerkat mused, sweeping out a paw to indicate the various natural debris scattered around their feet.
529 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Two pups, six weeks old. Penn smiled a bit wistfully as she debated their actual age. He didn't know how old any of his kids would be by then. Two perhaps? How old even was he? Fuck if he knew. He pushed those thoughts away anyway. It was no longer his right to even think of them as his kids. He had never been there for them. He had never been their dad. He didn't reserve the right to think of himself as such even in his own head.

His ears perked as she began to talk about looking for toys for them, every feature lighting up at the idea. "Well here," Penn said with a smile, pushing the raccoon towards her, "A meal for mom and, if you rip the tail off, a nice toy for two young warriors to play tug of war with. And you know what else..."

Penn spun around to look behind him, scanning around the terrain as he tried to mentally re-trace his steps. "I just went by this big ass tree on my way back that was dropping seeds," he explained, still squinting down the path he'd come up, "They were like the size of my toes and all spikey. Not, shred-your-tongue to bits spikey, but clean-between-your-teeth spikey. I bet that would be fun for them to chew on or chase after or whatnot..."
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
I think I know what you’re talking about, she said after Penn described the strange seed pods, and that’s kind of ingenious, actually. If you see one, grab it. And maybe you can bring it by the ulaq in person? It doesn’t have to be right now or even today but I’d love for you to meet them. And I’m sure they’ll be thrilled to meet the guy who gifted them them this.

She bent down to nose at the raccoon carcass, her nose skimming through the soft, thick fur. Meerkat felt a little guilty for accepting such a gift but with two hungry mouths at home, she would be an idiot to refuse it. She would have to repay Penn at some point, probably via Njord, who was the much more adept hunter of the two.

Meerkat raised her head, eyeing Penn curiously and wondering if he might accompany her back to the den or if he preferred the idea of swinging by some other time.
529 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Penn was pleased that she liked his idea. He had zero experience actually spending time with pups, but he was drawn to the thought of getting to in ways he never thought he would be. He'd always rolled his eyes and pushed away memories of his own family as though he were too cool for such things. Now that he was older, he saw that reaction for what it was—a rejection of the terrible sense of loss he felt over his parents' death and his siblings' dispersal.

At least, that's what Fig had told him.

The Blackthorn smiled and gave a nod to Meerkat, his tail wagging with genuine appreciation of the invitation. "Yeah, I'll track them down and swing by sometime to drop them off," he agreed, "Enjoy the raccoon. And rip the ears off too for them. They'll be nice to gnaw, I bet."

With that advice, Penn set off to find the tree and collect some puppy toys.