Eta
writing letters addressed to the fire
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Private 
Keeping things vague about @Stratos!

Since seeing Meerkat on the other side of the territory and hearing the claiming howls for the copse, Asivaq had kept close to her ulaq. She did not want to disturb their neighbors and found herself less comfortable with the proximity of the two villages. She had been considering heading north before their children were born, but it was a topic she hadn't brought up to @Kigigpigak.

She was restless and needed something—or someone—to do. Most of her nesting was complete; the den was teeming with totems and furs, and she was at a loss for what to do. So, with the sun warming her surroundings, Asivaq lounged in front of the ulaq like a house cat with half-open eyes and a content smile.
Moonglow
Kappa

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
He had gone back to the kill he had made with the red man and worked on the carcass, cutting and pulling until he'd gathered one half of the crowning antlers, and then carried this with him to the ulaq, where he found his wife sprawled in wait.

She was growing round! Her sides swelled, and she basked now in the sunlight like a happy ginger cat. Kigipigak was elated; and as he finally placed the palm-like antler on the ground he looked upon her with such adoration that he'd forgotten all his other worries.

Humming a sound for her, so as not to surprise her, Kigipigak moved to her side and carefully planted himself down in the snow, wedging in close beside. I brought a gift — for the future, for the children. They would have many things to play with, he thought; but this would be the first.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She was roused by her husband's gentle hum and smiled as he settled at her side. Nakuaqqutiga—it is good to see your face! Their children woke as well, rolling and kicking as their father scooted closer.

I think that they are pleased, she remarked, looking from the gift to the face of the man she loved. They weren't moving until you arrived! And now? They were active and full of life; already, they loved their father. Asivaq was sure of that.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
As soon as he was there beside her, he felt them drumming from inside. It was enough to spook him to a half-stand, and he laughed that booming laugh which seemed to be a mirror of the little ones' squirming and kicking. He settled quickly enough after that; the sensation did not ebb and Kigipigak thought it was fascinating and unsettling in equal measure.

They want out! He proclaimed. Soon they will be free to explore their home, to chase things and to grow. They will be warriors and explorers! I am sure of it. Already eager to use those feet. He kissed his wife on the cheek and then flattened himself as much as he could, so his ear could be against her belly.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Asivaq laughed and shook her head as she turned her attention towards the soft curve of her abdomen. You are not allowed out yet! Your anaa forbids it! she chided them playfully, reaching over and nudging her belly. You still have lots of growing to do!

Kigipigak elaborated on what they'd want to do when they were out. Asivaq drifted into a brief daydream, imagining them running about the sweep and exploring the world that was so new to them. We will take them on many adventures. They will see the world! Go to many Tartok branches—they will be so excited, she said with a wagging tail; she was excited, and it showed.

When her husband laid an ear to her abdomen, one of the babies wriggled happily, sensing their father was near.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Asivaq commanded! The children inside of her were unruly; Kigipigak felt them move, and he laughed despite the discomfort that his wife would feel. He wondered what they would be like once they were free of their bounds, and found himself selfishly hoping they were as rambunctious as the Tartok blood ought to make them - unlike his earlier sons. One had been soft, the other stern; these, he hoped, would strive for Tartok perfection and inherit his laugh at the very least!

Asivaq showed her support as she spoke of the branches as well. They will be a force! Each of them. I hope they grow in to warriors with strong bonds, perhaps finding an aokatti, like me. Maybe they are all issumatars!
Inupiaq. · Common.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Asivaq smiled as Kigigpigak contemplated what they'd have and the paths their lives would take them down as Tartok members. I think that we will have both, she said; call it mother's intuition, but she had an inkling that both sexes were growing inside of her. We will have our paws full with them, but I would not have it any other way.

She leaned towards him then and kissed his forehead. I hope we can get somebody from a branch down here so I can learn more about being an issumatar—so I can teach our daughters right. She paused in quiet contemplation. Is there a way we can request that?
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
To think she might be full of such ferocious women!

He heard her request and did not know what to say; the branches were networked in the north, but he had never come across an issumatar that would ask for help from another in such a way. His mother Sedna had never done it, at any rate.

An issumatar must be strong in their convictions, and enforce their will without doubt. It was strange to put these things in to words when they went unspoken in his past. Sedna was never specific in her lessons to her children. She displayed such strength while Kigipigak was a child and he assumed that all who took up the mantle were the same: if not no-nonsense, then strong of will and willing to strike down those who did not follow the law.

He gave his wife a small and encouraging smile. You know already how to lead; you are so strong, and motherhood will make you stronger. There is no better teacher than time and trust in yourself. Kigipigak did not want to admit it would be strange to ask for help.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She needed his encouragement and reassurance: guidance for a role and mantle she had only just taken up. She listened eagerly, taking in what he said, but quickly doubted her abilities. The last time she'd been questioned by a subordinate, she'd run away from it all to start anew—that wasn't an option anymore. She would have to face her problems head-on and be direct; to be an issumatar was to be in complete control.

I will be all of that and more, she vowed, looking at her beloved with love in her eyes. Not only for us, but for them. Another body rolled within her, and she took that as a sign. Her children believed in her, too.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
I know you will. He was good at choosing women, he thought with a conviction that wavered slightly; remembering his first wife, and before that Valmua, and the many trials that it had taken him to find Asivaq. A part of him thought, It was less about finding her and more about waiting for her to be born for you. An odd thing to consider — almost spiritual in its power.

Do you need me to fetch anything? Are you hungry?
Inupiaq. · Common.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
"Do you need me to fetch anything? Are you hungry?" Kigipigak asked.

Yes, Asivaq answered without hesitation. Could get me a rabbit? But was that enough? She considered this for a beat before adding: Maybe two, if we have them—I've been craving them. The forest had a decent rabbit population, so finding some wouldn't be difficult, especially for her skilled husband.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
He grinned to her, tail waving. I will hunt down every rabbit so you can feast upon them! He jested, but Kigipigak was genuine in his promise to provide. Whatever she craved, he would hunt. Whatever choices she made, he would support.

He gave her a kiss on the cheek and then withdrew, eager to get started on his hunt and happy to have a job to do that would keep him moving.
Inupiaq. · Common.