Lion Head Mesa time flows quickly
Akashingo
Nebet

ogre maiden
209 Posts
Ooc — bon
@Toula maybe?

it was good to be home, in the comfort of the palace. how kind it has been to her ever since she first stepped foot. it inherited its Pharoah's greatness, and now racharra wishes to return all of the favors given to her.
fellahin unveil the fur of shells, it sparkles now more than ever under desert light. racharra watches them briefly, and trusting they wouldn't drop the delicate gift she turns her attention to the queen's court.

when was the last time she'd spoken to the queen? no, to toula. even on her coronation, racharra couldn't find the chance to speak with her. and since then it was like the queen turn to fine powdered dust. or maybe racharra would turn to ash. she closes her eyes, and once again sees how brightly Pharoah shone. no jewel, no shell from a distant could ever compare.

she turns to the fellahin, and waits for permission to enter. she hadn't realized until now how rapidly her heart beat against her chest.
why did it want to escape?
[Image: Illustration463-1-1.png]
 can't live without the trust from those you love
Akashingo
Pharaoh*
immortal longings
632 Posts
Ooc — anon
feel free to pick the type of fur! some sort of large desert-native critter

she was all too eager to accept an audience from one of her favored of subjects, though she had little opportunity to be with her lately! her wedding, her coronation, her ascension, her honey-moon—and then, the first great trip of trade. but now, all were returned who had gone. Toula intended to see to each of them! 
Racharra was permitted entry, and before Toula lay a series of pelts of things all native to the desert. beautiful cloaks fit for a royal—fit for the Nebet before her! and the selection of them was intentional. it was to say, you belong here, if you wish to belong—you are a jewel, and you are chosen and loved by the desert, by me. for Toula had hand-picked these items, and she hoped that the Nebet might enjoy at least one. 
her prince-made-priest had advised her of the turmoil Racharra had faced, but Toula would address it no more than this if Racharra was not ready to speak on it. the Pharaoh had anger in her heart that any mother could make their daughter hurt... but Toula had always felt Racharra was a daughter of the desert. she was clever, bright, beautiful—none of the things that her mother was,
no, that was not true. Toula had seen beauty in the savage woman, too. but the beauty Racharra possessed was entirely her own, coming from the things that made her heart. it is so good to see you again, Nebet! please, look at these furs—tell me which, if any, is to your preference and it shall be brought to your rooms, she encouraged.
Akashingo
Nebet

ogre maiden
209 Posts
Ooc — bon
the doors parted, and racharra's back shot up straight. she ushers in the fellahin after making sure the pelt was placed gently on their backs, and enters with a practiced stride. it's to her surprise then when the Pharoah greets her with gifts of her own.

oh — you shouldn't have.. a pained smile points her brows and lips upwards. it's good to see you again too, my Pharoah. how was your honeymoon?
it takes her a moment to tear her eyes away from the shining monarch as she motions the fellahin to lay the fur down so that toula may see it. as they spread out the fur, carefully so as to not rip out one of the shells from it, racharra takes a glance at the furs all set out for her. a couple strike her eye; the addax to be specific. but it'll be for later.

but first, i've brought a gift of my own from the trade: a fur carefully braided with shells from the coast. she explains, poised as she does do. it's all to contain herself though. a giddish excitement courses through her to see the Pharoah's reaction to the offering. to see the queen who raised her, saved her, marvel at her gift like she did oh-so-long-agothat would be the greatest gift of all for the nebet.
Akashingo
Pharaoh*
immortal longings
632 Posts
Ooc — anon
she smiles at the grown Nebet, happily rejoining with, but I wished to! with the sway of her tail. and it was true, she had. she would do anything for the girl before her to see that she did belong somewhere. Racharra occupied a space in her heart no other would, for being the first that Akashingo had rescued. more than that, being able to witness the way that Racharra grew here... Toula did not know if Racharra understood how lucky that Toula felt, to have seen her thrive in an environment only those born to it typically did. 
and she was grateful for her, and her honesty. the truth of it was, Toula had not wanted to send her away to the Lake. but there had been a promise made long ago, and Toula had wondered if that might be something that perhaps the Nebet wanted. it would be selfish to keep her! 
Toula was grateful she could be selfish a little while longer, as Racharra figured out her own heart. she would force her to nothing. there were other places to lay claim to, if Pharaoh wished! and for now, she was quite content. Muat-Riya thrived, and new cubs had come. more still would... but she could not get ahead of herself!
it was divine, she admitted, thinking of the many long sleepless days and nights she had spent wrapped up with her husband. it was a discovery of self, and a conquest of uncharted territory. the man that was Rashepses was not inexpert in the art of pleasing a woman—but she could not let her thoughts wander there now, or she would need to find him! I wish to tell you all about it, but first, I hear you wish to marry! Toula looked to Racharra, seeking confirmation of this. she would make no demands of her royal ladies to do so, if they did not wish, nor her fellahin. but it was not an unpleasant surprise; marriages could be quite lucrative! 
and then the gift was displayed, and Toula found herself speechless for several long minutes. she circled the furs, her eyes becoming wet with joyful tears at the beauty of such a well-made thing. there cannot be another of its like, Toula breathed to the Nebet, awed by the thoughtfulness and the beauty both. it is so beautiful! I think I should like to wear it now, she decided, so taken with the gift as she is! the fellahin, hearing this, are careful with the gift as she lowers herself for it to be placed neatly around her shoulders. it drapes around her body, falling neatly upon the floors near her plume. 
she asks Racharra, beaming: does it suit me?
Akashingo
Nebet

ogre maiden
209 Posts
Ooc — bon
physically fighting a demon within me to not give another kudos but this thread is alr so sweet uggghhh

she could not argue with the Pharoah, as much as she wanted to. more of a debate, really, such fine furs should not be wasted on her. but if it's what toula wished, then granted it shall be.
well.. she relents, reluctantly picking the white addax skin. this one's quite nice.
it may be suiting for a wedding, she thinks. speaking of.

the semer-wati is not a man she's very familiar with, having only seen him during the voyage through the lowlands, and he came across as quite cold to the younger nebet. but if toula chose him, then the he must not be a bad man. she hopes so, anyways.

the Pharoah's intrigue in her own marriage startles the girl, and she nods vigorously. it's the queen's excitement at the idea that gets a chortle from the noblewoman.
there's not much to say! i just thought it'd be right. racharra contemplates telling on senmut right then and there to Pharoah — that the priest had all but directly offered her hand to the moontide lord three years her senior. she knew why, she understood and was almost willing. almost. but with the teasing tone he spoke of it with, she wonders how serious the priest was with his consideration. or if he was looking for something to dangle over her head while suppressing a laugh in the future. luckily, she is merciful, so for now that offer remains a secret. or potential for blackmail.

she watches as toula looks at the fur, and feels her chest become full. technically, there is another of it's kind, but racharra nods along to the Pharoah's admiring words. neither could be the exact same, not with the work required for it.
and then the fur slips onto the highnesses' shoulders, each little shell glittering and tinkling against eachother as the skin curls along toula's dainty figure. it's better than racharra could've ever imagined.
it is perfect on you, my Pharoah.
Akashingo
Pharaoh*
immortal longings
632 Posts
Ooc — anon
if it is your wish, then it is right, Toula hummed, her gemstone gaze warm. Toula did not wish to deny Racharra anything! and so she drew nearer, a fellow conspirer to one of her ladies. so, tell me your wishes then! what is it you wish for in a husband? she wondered, and thrilled at the thought of finding one such wolf within their allies... or perhaps, a new alliance to be built from it! 
she smiled wider, shall we have them live here? learn our customs, and how to best make you happy? for she did not think Racharra wished to leave Akashingo, nor did she herself want her to depart! it was her way of saying so, though she tacked on, unless, you should wish to join him! and while she would understand, she could not deny that the thought caused her heart to ache. but she watched Racharra, not letting this much on in the event that this too was her wish. 
more than anything, Toula wanted the girl happy in the end! so, she thought, she would wear this gift for many days... and be sure that it was well taken care of. and then, it would be something to be worn when she herself met with the ocean-people, a thing of most special occasions. it felt fit for such a fine thing. but she wanted her Nebet to see how well-loved it was, too.
Akashingo
Nebet

ogre maiden
209 Posts
Ooc — bon
the pelt is set aside for her, and when racharra returns to face toula she is far closer to the girl than she remembers. the sea shell pelt that toula adorns clinks and jingles still, so the woman absolutely moved. it startles her just how excited the Pharoah is for a wedding that isn't even hers. maybe it's just the aftermath of a honeymoon..
questions pile on and on, and the nebet's cheeks fluster just a bit with each one flung. ah, well.. she stammers. what did she seek in a man? maybe.. easy to speak with? kind? playful... she furrows her brow while grumbling. i think i'd take just about anyone.
the broad-shouldered noble slumps. that i'm not sure of either. i'd like to stay in the palace, but if he does not take to it well? and if i'm not taken well in his kingdom, what then? a stubborn man would be a pain, probably. a stubborn heathen especially. and the in-laws... suddenly marriage doesn't seem so fun anymore.
Akashingo
Pharaoh*
immortal longings
632 Posts
Ooc — anon
she listens as her Nebet muses over what traits she might wish for in a husband. that she had any to name pleased Toula, for when the time had come for her to marry her desires had little to do with the future betterment of Akashingo. it had been that the girl married for, more than herself—but the Gods had provided her that, and more! 
remember that in this, it is you that is the one with much and more to offer. as the daughter of my heart, your dowry will be plenty. the one that you pick for yourself must be right for you, and no other. it is true you could aid in building an alliance for Akashingo, but your happiness—it is worth far more to me than that, she revealed, sharing the truth of her heart to Racharra. the girl must know before this how Toula loved her, so that she would not feel rushed to make any choice she was not ready to! there is time. and it is yours. I encourage you to find the one that is kind, and easy to speak to, and playful, she looked to Racharra, and it is possible to have all three. you are my Nebet; you are a ruby of the red sands. 
the next question was a reasonable one. it is possible to do both. I will visit the kingdom of my husband; his people must know me, and I must know his people—his family! share the load between you both, for in marriage, there is two. I believe that with whoever you choose, you two will find happiness together—wherever it may be. I wish it to be here, always, so that I might always be able to share your company... but I understand if that may not be possible, let Racharra carry no guilt, and know that the world and that the choice would always be hers in this. Toula knew too much had been taken from the Nebet, and so, she hoped to give it back in spades.
Akashingo
Nebet

ogre maiden
209 Posts
Ooc — bon
im gonna CRY

Pharoah is far too kind.

she reminds racharra of her worth, of her status. that she has the freedom to choose, and how to balnce her marriage. she knows this, or at least understands it, and yet she still couldn't believe it.

it's as toula speaks of her as a daughter where racharra breaks. her eyes sting, and her queen's visage — bless her — becomes glassy and hard to see. it's as she blinks, and something hot and wet rolls down her cheeks that racharra understands why. she croaks an apology, and quickly wipes at her traitorous eye with her wrist.
she nods along, less like a noble woman and more like a child, in between a couple of sniffles. how silly she feels, crying over something so puny, so small.

but today, it meant the world.
Akashingo
Pharaoh*
immortal longings
632 Posts
Ooc — anon
Toula reached out, wrist gently patting the features of her Nebet where water had sprung forth. do not be sorry, for I see your heart answering me, she murmurs faintly, shifting only a fraction nearer, conscious of the girls comfort. I only hope these are not tears of hurt or sadness! come, come—into my arms, if you wish, 
and Toula extends one, hoping to bring the lady into a gentle hug to hold her through the waves of whatever it was that she felt. Racharra had a journey to go upon, and Toula would not let her go without knowing she was already so very loved here!
Akashingo
Nebet

ogre maiden
209 Posts
Ooc — bon
racharra gulps through her waterworks. no, i do not wish to stain your pelt nor you with.. this. please, it's silly. no matter how tempting it was to accept Pharoah's embrace, the plight of the nebet was something she did not wish to spill. it is silly, to cry over something so small like being called daughter to toula's heart. but most especially to cry over zharille; the nebet should've known would never love her as a mother should. and yet it stings her all the same.

the love was felt. but racharra did not believe it.
Akashingo
Pharaoh*
immortal longings
632 Posts
Ooc — anon
if my own tears have not stained me, yours give me no fear, comes her soft voice. now she looks to the girl, eyes searching, but she does not press further. 
instead she offers direction, encouragement. you and I both have duty beyond ourselves. it is up to we women to better Akashingo through who we marry. and so I encourage you to look to the moonwolves, as their people are a strong and stable sort. but I trust you to pick a being who will benefit our people, she looks to the Nebet, and says, but do I ask too much of you? would you prefer it if I selected your future partner in marriage for you?
Akashingo
Nebet

ogre maiden
209 Posts
Ooc — bon
racharra shakes her head, and refuses to let zharille's name tarnish the beautiful red palace, as if her name alone would cause everything to crumble beneath its might.

through sniffles, she listens to Pharoah's words of guidance, and takes them to heart. the moonwolves. she hadn't seen many while visiting moontide, none of her age anyways. but then again, she was occupied with other thoughts. she nods. at the very least, it'll be a good start.

i'll be able to, i think. if anything, i'll consult you. the nebet promises the Pharoah, trying to hide her sorrow as she continues to choke on it.
Akashingo
Pharaoh*
immortal longings
632 Posts
Ooc — anon
Toula trusts the girl enough to leave it at that. alright, she nodded her head to the young girl. even more had been entrusted to Toula herself, and she had done well. the Nebet had been raised by many of the wolves that had brought her up, and so she did not doubt her! 
now she stretches and lays, the shells gently tinkling aloud as they tapped against the neighboring object. ask me the questions on your mind, she offers then, still watchful. she sensed something in the girl, and hoped to distract her with more pleasant things.
Akashingo
Nebet

ogre maiden
209 Posts
Ooc — bon
Pharoah persists, and racharra wonders if now she is starting to disrespect her ruler by continuing to deny her embrace.

if i must ask. what do you know of my parents? both of them. the nebet stiffly joins her. she would never intentionally try to stand taller than toula.
Akashingo
Pharaoh*
immortal longings
632 Posts
Ooc — anon
as we are now, you must answer nothing of me you do not wish. I understand my position of power—if it is your wish to take your leave, know that I will not be angry, she offered. and it is only that reason she does not yet answer—if the question posed is a forced one, and not one the Nebet wished to voice in the first place, Toula would wait to answer it when the girl was truly ready. 
but if the girl lingered, Toula would know she stayed of her own volition—that she wished to be here this moment.
Akashingo
Nebet

ogre maiden
209 Posts
Ooc — bon
racharra has to bite back a whine when her question is held onto. how terrible is the truth?

i truly wish to learn. i want to learn, and you are the only way i can, my Pharoah. for Pharoah sees all, and up until this point Pharoah has never betrayed racharra. she is older, and wiser than the girl. she must have the answers to at least that question that has haunted the lake cub and now the lady of red sand.