The Sentinels But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
To be honest, Wraen had forgotten all about Eljay. She had hardly spoken to him since some time in autumn or spring, first, busy with inner-politics regarding widespread famine, second, being self-centred and somber about other stuff over the ensuing summer months. From what she had seen, he was his still sulking-self and, if in the beginning, she had sincerely wished to cheer him up and help him, then over time she had grown tired of him being so wrapped in his grief and in, how the world had wronged him. Despite, what Wildfire had told her about being patient or how well Finley had seemed to be able to manage him, in the end he was too much for Wraen and she had laid her focus elsewhere. There was a pang of guilt, when she thought all this, but one year in Eljay's company had been enough to cure her of any romantic interest she even may have had. 

And now Maia... falling for the wrong people again, though compared to Charon anyone (unless they were convicted murderers) was better. All things considered, Eljay was by far the most solid creature and reliable as a tree. Except he had long-running emotional issues that Wraen did not wish to handle or be in a close vicinity of them (again - she felt guilty about this, but it was true) and she was fairly sure that Maia was not even aware of them. It also did not mean that she was not equipped to deal with them. In all honesty - Wraen realized that her mind was rambling and that she should pay attention to the work before her and set all personal opinions aside. "Well, I would not take Eljay's reaction personally," she said, closing the distance between them so that she was now sitting next to Maia. "He is a snail. Very attached to his home. And you telling him that - hey, let's go on an adventure! - probably felt as if you kindly offered to skin him alive," she smiled at the metaphor and hoped that Maia would see the funny side of this too. If not now, then eventually.

"Second thing - he is notoriously bad at skinning... sorry... reading between the lines. If you thought for a second that he would get that subtle cue of yours about you liking him, then you set yourself for a failure then and there," she went on. "He probably thinks that there is something wrong with him and that is exactly why people leave him. Again. Eljay's best past-time is blaming himself for things he cannot affect in the least. Or that are out of his control. Or that are hardly... or ever personal," Wraen explained mercilessly, her brow furrowed, while she tried to contain annoyance that was bubbling up. But for Maia's sake she pulled herself together and let it all pass with a sigh. "For all his good qualities he is still an immature child in a grown man's shoes and you should treat him as such. Say things directly, don't circle around and definitely don't attempt to be clever. Unless you wish to spend an afternoon apologizing and trying to fix, whatever Eljay read wrong in what you said. Believe me, I have been there," she said. 

Wraen wanted to add that "you are better off without him", but did not have the heart to do so. In the end she knew that she would lose Maia to someone and, if that person truly was, what she wanted in her life, her older sister would never stand in her way. Unless, of course, it was a total jerk. For all her calm and cool attitude, Wraen was not above murder in very special cases. "And third - Maia... as much as it hurts me to say it - man up. At this point in life, if you want someone in your life, go and tell them so. Just because they do not feel that way, does not change that you are still fabulous, amazing and very much loveable. Just because you are not someone's love of their lives, does not mean there is something wrong with you. Go through life with your head held high," she said. "If you are sure that it is Eljay you want, go and tell him so. If then he says - oh, sorry, darling, I dunno... - or more likely something about, how he is unworthy etc., then I will personally help to kidnap him from the group and drag him by his balls, wherever you want him to be," Wraen chuckled at the mental picture, but at that moment of boldness, she was sure she would do it. Anything to make her little sister (who was taller than her) happy. 

"You do not get anything in life by tiptoeing around it, you go straight for it, dive deep and make a grab for it. Especially, if it is Eljay. He has been tiptoed around all his life. If you do not succeed - move on," she finished her pep talk. "So, what's it going to be?"
Messages In This Thread
But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - August 31, 2020, 04:57 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - September 01, 2020, 09:00 AM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - September 03, 2020, 11:46 AM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - September 03, 2020, 02:23 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - September 04, 2020, 08:47 AM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - September 06, 2020, 01:46 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - September 06, 2020, 03:46 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - September 06, 2020, 04:08 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - September 06, 2020, 06:10 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - September 09, 2020, 06:02 AM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - September 15, 2020, 11:36 AM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - September 19, 2020, 02:15 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - September 28, 2020, 03:05 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - September 28, 2020, 04:38 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - September 28, 2020, 04:54 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - October 01, 2020, 12:58 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - October 05, 2020, 12:44 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - October 06, 2020, 01:47 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - October 06, 2020, 11:17 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - October 08, 2020, 02:34 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - October 13, 2020, 06:40 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - October 16, 2020, 03:42 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - October 18, 2020, 02:42 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - October 19, 2020, 01:35 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - October 23, 2020, 02:07 AM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - October 25, 2020, 03:41 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - October 28, 2020, 04:47 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - October 29, 2020, 03:13 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - November 01, 2020, 11:47 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Wraen - November 03, 2020, 02:18 PM
RE: But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps - by Maia - November 05, 2020, 10:30 AM