Lost Creek Hollow To protect you
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
Darkness had fallen a while ago, but she swore that it still felt warmer than it had early in the day.  It didn't make too much sense, but it wasn't like she focused her attention on why the weather was the way it was.  It was just a thing.  It existed and was sometimes a hindrance.

Right now, she'd deemed her patrols over for now and she wound her way back towards her den to call it a night.  She'd ended up at probably the farthest point on the territory from it, despite it's relatively central location, so she had a bit of a walk before she could curl up somewhere a tiny bit warmer.  She was moving at a fairly lazy pace, but her route was close to a straight line -- it did mean she had to cross a couple of branches of the creek that might not be the most fun, but she had a couple of places planned where it could be jumped over or was probably frozen solid by this point.  At least that was the good point about a creek versus a proper river -- it wasn't nearly as impossible to traverse, no matter what the weather.  The only real question was if she should wander by a cache on the way.  It really depended on whether or not there might be something already waiting at her den or not, but she had plenty of time to figure out whether or not she should assume so.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
this is my book
and i know how to work the spells and charms in it
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
merrick prowled after treason beneath nightfall. the woman traveled out of his eyesight, though her tracks were warm with the fresh scent carried beneath them. if it had changed, merrick did not note the shift — the boy was busy composing what it was he wanted to ask the leader once he caught up.
the words evaded the boy, however, as the woman's trotting figure came into view. steeling himself, swallowing, the young wolf chuffed loudly, hoping to draw her attention as he approached. he still feared her, after all, and with good reason; she had been a defining force in his life, if not one that had been consistently present for all of it.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She paused as he called, looking for the source.  It took a second or two to pick him out from the darkness.  It still surprised her when one of the pups sought her out -- even if it was accidentally in some cases.  She wasn't quite sure why.  Maybe just because even though they were all close to adulthood if not there already, she still thought of them as small, as someone else's responsibility to keep rather than increasingly independent individuals.

Treason took a couple of steps in his direction to meet him, inquisitive. It was an odd hour, and she wasn't sure what he'd want from her.  Treason was particularly uncreative when it came to what might be going on in other wolves' heads outside of a fight.  But, she was a leader and she was at least obligated to find out what was up -- maybe Merrick was bringing some problem she was unaware of to her attention or something.  Yes?
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
treason approached, and merrick let his body fall into a deference mimicked from watching others address her. "i would like to move into the adult ranks with nunataq," the boy said, cutting to the heart of this meeting with a swift sentence. she seemed the type that appreciated directness in her subordinates.
"i know it's early, but i am not a child, and would like the opportunity to prove that to you." it would only be a handful of months before the pup ranks filled again, and merrick did not want to be caught in the limbo between them. he kept his eyes averted from treason's face, respectful as he waited for her answer. not an optimistic being, he suspected she would deny him, but stranger things had occurred.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She tilted her head.  Okay, that wasn't what she was expecting to hear -- but then again, what was she?

To a certain point, Treason just didn't care.  Obviously part of the reason Merrick had been left here was because he was independent enough to manage... Right?  In Treason's eyes you wouldn't just leave some kid behind if they weren't at least going to kind of manage without parental guidance.  Sure, they had the safety of the pack, but they were big enough to not be fussed over too much.  Then again, maybe Laurel and Indra operated on a different logical orbit than Treason.  Either way, even if they lived in bizarro world, she was at least pleased that Merrick seemed to know the proper way to behave.  And it was much easier dealing with a verbal wolf than  trying to coordinate with Nunataq.

However, she was curious, And is there a specific thing you're planning to do to prove yourself or just generally doing reasonable being seen as an adult?  There was the secondary question of if he meant to earn the rank or be given it and just show he wouldn't drown.  They were obviously two slightly different things.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
perhaps if he had not been abandoned, merrick would have expected treason to hand him something for nothing. but he had grown hard in the weeks indra had been gone, a man in the half-grown body of a boy. the knowledge of this lurked in his coppergold eyes as he gazed steadily at treason.
"the large stag that makes this land his home and has led his herd for some time is dying," merrick revealed a moment later. "he is faltering and he will lose his battles this year." he knew the stumble in the deer's tracks, the way that the old beast moved more slowly these days. "let me lead a hunt and i will kill him to show you, and the pack, that i am ready."
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
So he did have a plan -- a specific one at that.  Interesting.  Well, she didn't have a problem with it.  If the pack cooperated with his plans then they probably were starting to see him as an adult anyway.  And it wasn't like by now he was totally some shrimpy tiny kid -- he had to have been close-ish to his adult size if the guidebook is being remembered correctly.  The only thing really still at question was if his mind was as refined as he seemed to believe.  Certainly a hunt would test it -- especially one of an animal that could do damage, old or not.

Treason nodded.  She appreciated the fact that he was at least proactive on the matter and not forcing her to come up with some task for him on the spot.  She hadn't been paying much attention to the deer lately, herself, but she could believe that was probably the case.  Then start your planning.  If you lead the hunt well, I don't think any of the pack would argue against you being seen as an adult.  It would be to the benefit of everyone.  But did he want to be seen as sort of benevolent or whatever?  Or was the stag just an object to an end?  She probably should pay more attention to the youths of the pack.  Maybe.

There was one thing, though, Are you going to be choosing your hunting party or have it be whoever appears?  She suspected most of the pack would be willing to respond, except she knew that the various litters of pups would probably take out at least a few of them from the running, depending on when it was.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
merrick had followed the herd beneath nightfall; he knew where the deer bedded, and suspected how best to mire down the old stag for execution. but he did not tell all of this to treason, preferring to make a show of leaving the territory to carry out her orders.
the alpha's next question was one he had already contemplated; merrick answered swiftly, and with a confidence perhaps unearned. "i want gannet and nunataq," he murmured. a small hunting party would be best, for the does would scatter and pose no threat. little worth bringing all of the hollow to a hunt. "and you," merrick added resolutely. two experienced hunters to two juveniles — it was a worthwhile choice.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
The real question in Treason's mind was did she tell him that if he took too long, she might not be as useful as she otherwise would have been?  Treason didn't know where her limit would be, so would it even be worth bugging him about something that was out of his control?  Why add another layer of complexity into the pile?  And so, she decided against it.  That bridge would be crossed if and when they got to it.

She nodded.  That should be a good group of us.  Treason still wasn't sold on Nunataq's ability to communicate during a hunt, but she figured Merrick maybe had a better way to communicate with her.  At the very last their familiarity from both growing up in Bearclaw together should count for something.  Gannet seemed agreeable in general, so having him along on a hunt probably wasn't going to be an issue.  That technically made Treason the most unagreeable of the lot.  You'll have to keep us appraised on how things are looking -- unless you think there's some specific date this would be happening by.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
"the first week of the new month," he answered matter-of-factly, keeping his tone level. there was a secret pleasure here, however; had treason ever dealt with one both young and organized? merrick was prepared to think not, and so pride flickered in him unseen. he had chosen his quarry, his hunting party, and the time of their prey's death. already his ascension was being proven.
having spoke, the boy stood silently before his leader. she would dismiss him, or perhaps pose another inquiry, though merrick did not know what she could ask now. nevertheless, it was treason's decision to see him as he was, or as he wished to be seen, and so he was quiet, awaiting the woman's rejoinder.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
The fact he had a specific date in mind suggested that yes, he really had thought through a lot of this.  She didn't think that'd be too far in the future.  It'd probably be okay.  Okay-ish.

Also let's be real, Treason really hadn't dealt much with anyone significantly younger than her to begin with.  She'd avoided the pups back on Sunspire, and she didn't have any younger siblings by the time she'd left her birth pack.  At least by the age that Merrick and Breccan were -- the two she'd dealt with that could actually talk -- they at least seemed reasonable enough.  Maybe because they weren't too far from joining the adult ranks in the first place.

She nodded then eyed him thoughtfully.  Mm. You've worked through it quite a bit, then.  Luck doesn't always let things go as planned, but hopefully it'll be on your side.  She wasn't necessarily a believer in fate or anything, she just knew that sometimes things just inexplicably went counter to what reasonable thought would think.  The weather could be foul, the stag could cross into Easthollow and be taken by them...  Treason could probably think up a few more but that would be silly.  Is there anything else you wish to ask?  It wasn't getting any earlier, after all.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
treason's comment was praise enough for merrick: the recognition that he was not another dumb suckling whining for scraps. he was not a boy; he deserved a rank to reflect that. and he relished very much the chance to prove that to her, and to all of the hollow. 
after all, he could not stay where he was and continue along the path he had chosen.
a dip of his crown accompanied a negative, "no, treason," and he read her words as a dismissal. merrick too did not believe in luck, being far too practical for such things. the only luck he felt he needed was for the weather not to turn to snow again. if she did not stop him, merrick bowed again, and turned to trot off in the direction he had come.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
It'd be interesting to see how this all went.  Assuming he didn't chicken out in the time between now and then, there were plenty of other things for Treason to do.

Either way, once Merrick was in the adult ranks, it would be interesting to see what he would do... Did he have plans beyond this or was this as far as he had thought?  A little bit of ambition was always good, but too much could be trouble.  Treason would just have to wait and see, apparently.  But things were wrapping to their natural end here, so she nodded him a farewell.  After watching him walk into the darkness for a few moments, she, too, disappeared into the night.