the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
attn: @Nikai ?!

The time of @Alya lately had largely been devoted to motherhood, though Hydra permitted her time beyond her own children as she needed. The queen was near certain a lot of her spare time was spent with Nikai (why would it not be?), and Hydra yearned to get to know the man more. It felt like the right thing to do. Hydra did not know what appealed to her sister about the man who was missing a limb... but she hoped to find out. 

So, she followed his trail. Her children slept and were well looked after when she quit that scene for a short time, hoping to find him sooner rather than later.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai had been climbing a small path leading upwards around Moonspear's lower slopes when he had the inkling he was being followed. As he glanced over his shoulder he thought at first that it was Alya who approached. A smile overtook his face but it was soon washed away as he watched her mannerisms; it wasn't Alya, it was one of her sisters. The Alpha, judging by her body language and resolute steps, he wagered.

The man stopped in his tracks. He waited to see if it was him that she was looking for.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra's eyes found him quickly enough, when his scent was strong. He spotted her moments afterward, and she watched his expression morph from happiness to what Hydra considered to be indifference as he recognized that she was not, in fact, Alya. Her ear twitched and she quipped from afar, what? Not happy to see your sister? in a tone that was light and well-meaning.

The Ostrega closed the gap between them and observed him. He had gained some muscle since the last time she had seen him, and she was glad to see it. I have been unable to leave my children to see you, up until now; it is good to finally be able to see you. How are you adjusting? She inquired, tone absent of judgment. He was a Moonspear wolf, now... and her brother, too. What shortcomings he had they would work with; like her children, she would train him how to overcome the obstacles he might face.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai couldn't help but feel a little caught out when Hydra light-heartedly commented on the happiness falling from his face as realisation dawned. He caught that she didn't mean it that way but part of him couldn't help but feel like he should've handled it a bit better. Anyway -- Nikai hid the awkwardness in a chuckle and stopped himself from apologising for it. Thought you were someone else, he said, even though it had been pretty clear that he'd thought that to her. She must have this all the time, where people would think either of her sisters were her or the other way around.

She mentioned that she had not been able to visit before due to her children, and Nikai nodded with a serious expression on his face. That's alright. I've seen Valette raise a few litters, I imagine it's busy. I've been adjusting alright. He paused briefly. It's... A strange time to arrive. But it's also good to be here for Alya through this. I miss my old home, but it is what it is.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
His words brought an amused twitch to her lips. She had suspected as much, and was not offended. They were identical twins, after all, and their resemblance was such that these things happened all of the time. She listened to him as he spoke about arriving at a strange time; truth be told, times had been stranger just before their passing. Hydra knew within herself Alya had likely sensed this, and could ignore the feeling no longer. 

As he spoke about missing his old home, Hydra nodded; she could not imagine leaving her own home, not for another pack at least. She hoped that Nikai might come to feel this way for Moonspear, in time. It would make Alya happy, she thought, and Hydra would have this be so. I am thankful you are there for her. And here, too. Your support... the extra eyes and ears... it also brought me some peace of mind, while I raised my young, Hydra said in earnest, his own presence being meaningful to her, too, in these times. 

Hydra gestured toward his leg. An old friend of mine, he was upon Moonspear and had a broken leg. He had to navigate with three legs for a time, and in solidarity I simply did not use one of my own legs for a time, to... understand, as best I could, what that might be like. Also how to fight that way, she shared, tail twitching behind her. She had greater respect for Nikai remaining despite the difficulty. He and Gannet both seemed to have a great strength of will that seemeed to make up for the lack of the appendages use. Moreso for Nikai, perhaps—his condition was permanent.

It was unfortunate that he ended up with Alya; her sister deserved more. Hydra wondered if she could craft Nikai into what she deserved, or if his missing limb truly would get in the way of how she saw him; time would tell. 

Do you know how to defend yourself? She asked then, how to use what most see as a disadvantage to your advantage? Her ears pricked, and her head tilted; she meant no offense, and her question was matter-of-fact and without judgment—she simply wanted to know how Nikai had survived this way, and what he had learned throughout.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Hydra started by saying she was glad he was there for Alya and here at Moonspear. That his presence had given her some peace of mind while her children grew. He nodded, though wondered how much help he really could have been. Then again, perhaps it was good that he was there, a wolf who stood outside of the grieving over deceased family, while almost all others of the pack grieved for the loss of its patriarch and matriarch. He merely nodded, missing his home but knowing right now the pair of them were better off here -- for the sake of Alya and Moonspear both.

Hydra then mentioned that a friend of hers once lived here and hurt his leg, and she walked on three legs for solidarity for some time. Nikai thought back to when he thought it was still temporary; admittedly, it'd gotten better after the leg had been removed altogether. I suppose it isn't bad for a leader to know what the lives of their subordinates are like, eh, he said. It was a coincidence that her experience came in handy now, he supposed. Never seemed a bad thought to know more empathy for those in your pack, though.

The tone changed a little suddenly, where she went from being grateful for his presence to telling the story to asking him about defending himself. Nikai knew the outside world could be dangerous, but he'd never had to defend himself outside of a scuffle at the borders where the rest of the pack was present, too. Haven't needed to very much. All the fighting I've done is at the borders with my pack. Nikai certainly didn't intend to fight alone, or need to defend himself, anytime soon.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Her ears flicked at his inquiry; she did not think so, and was glad he seemed to agree. As he went on, however, Hydra found her expression shifting to something like a frown, but not quite. I am glad you have not needed to, Hydra hummed, but that does not mean you never will. There are wolves in this world that I have seen take advantage of others, hurt them, simply because they could, she shared, voice dark with the truth of it. The world Nikai had grown up in sounded more pleasant than this, but Hydra had faced many a being with dark intent. 

Alya, herself, and Lyra knew how to navigate such things. If Nikai and Alya were to last, he would need to know how to—having seen Gannet grow, she knew it was a possible thing. Would you train with me? Perhaps I could teach you, she invited with a smile, thinking that through this they might forge some sort of bond. She could share what she knew, and he could share things about himself, if he wished. 

Hydra envisioned her father here, now; he would not be pleased with this man before her, would he? She could hear him now: she deserves more. Even in death, Hydra would fulfill this unspoken wish; she wished it, too.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Hydra didn't seem to take no for an answer when it came to the fighting thing. Nikai didn't really feel like his place was to fight. Seemed foolish to put a lot of effort into something he'd never be good at. Seemed a lot wiser to focus on what he could do and let other wolves do other tasks.

Yet when she suggested they train, Nikai at first contemplated declining... But then he got the feeling like he was in no position to decline. So after a moment's contemplation he nodded. Alright. Show me some moves, then.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He did not deny her—

Good. 

You must keep your balance as best you can. Our training today will simply be for you to avoid me unbalancing you. There are two ways I could do this; if I were far enough, I could knock into you with the whole of my weight to cause you to stumble. Or, I could go for any of your other legs and attempt to pull them out from under you. Her ears pricked, waiting for any indication that he understood this. Since this was training, she would not simply attack him without him understanding the goal of the moment. Hydra suspected he knew how to keep his balance, but wanted to be sure before she went further. Hydra wanted to know what square, exactly, they were starting at. Her tail swayed behind her, eager to spend this time with him—Alya would be better off for it, too, she felt.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai didn't really like this training thing one bit. It just wasn't his expertise. Even before he lost his leg Nikai had preferred to hone fighting in the shape of hunting rather than fighting other wolves. It just wasn't in his nature. Seemed senseless, to him, but he could feel that there was a lot of importance surrounding this subject in this pack. Things weren't like they were at home here, and it meant he was in a different position. Even though he and Alya'd stayed to help out her family, Nikai didn't want to start on bad terms with her twin sister -- one out of two most important wolves in her life.

Alright, he said when Hydra stopped talking, and he nodded. And what do I do against it, then?
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra could not sense his distaste toward the subject she sought to educate him, but even if she had she likely would have ignored it in favor of what she felt he should know. For Hydra, she must feel as though he were competent enough in the craft of defending her cubs should something ever transpire and she not be there and he was. She also wanted to be certain he could protect her sister; if children was something they someday desired together, Alya was a woman who would likely tempt the attention of men who would fight for her. At least with her help, he could defend their union. 

The Queen considered a moment. Go with your instincts this time around, she decided. I will tell you what to work on and how to approach it from there. You might think too much about it otherwise, and sometimes our instincts can guide us to the appropriate reaction, she finished with a wave of her tail and then inquired: are you ready?
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai listened to what Hydra said. She suggested he follow his instincts and then she would tell him what to improve on next. He supposed that he should try to be nimble on his feet and not let her get to him, in the first place; it was evident that she would win regardless if she would manage to get to him and bring him off his balance. I'm ready, Nikai said with a nod at her question and he waited for the attack, making ready to try and dash out the way, hoping he would be able to get away and encircle her instead.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Once he confirmed to her that he was ready, Hydra was quick to set into action. The she-wolf did not seek to get him off of his feet immediately; he knew that was her goal, after all. It was most wolves goal in a fight; that was when their opponent became the most vulnerable. So Hydra moved around him in a slow, loose circle, granting him space enough to do what he would with. Hydra set her defenses; her ears were flat upon her crown and her eyes narrowed, tail placed where it ought to be; her muzzle draped protectively over her throat. She wondered where he thought she might strike; most would surely go for the most obvious open-point upon him, his remaining hind leg. Hydra, however, then feinted a lunge toward his front portion once she adjusted and had become head-on with him. She did not yet bridge the gap, but wanted to know how he went about the feint and if it would provoke him to reacting too quick. He was most stable standing where he was, after all. At least for now.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai had little experience in fighting and honestly, his opinion remained that he felt it was more up Alya's alley to fight and protect them; he was useful in other areas, as he hoped Hydra would soon come to realise. Rather than striking right away, she kept circling him and did not immediately strike. When she did, it was surprisingly enough to his front portion rather than the remaining hind leg. Nikai reflectively moved; a jump to the side to try and get out the way entirely.