Arrow Lake studying about that good old way
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Random Event 
set early morning of September 4

They ascended, and then descended, and upon that descent, they came across a pack's border. Maegi drew a deep breath and found nothing familiar in their scent; it wasn't the wolves that had kidnapped her, at least. With some relief, she turned to @Anansi and @Sakhmet, ears slanted forward in query.

Do you smell your brother here? I don't. . .but maybe it's worth asking if they've seen him. Her brow was furrowed in now-perpetual worry, tail lashing slightly. She wouldn't be at ease until Sobek was safe and at home. Until, or if ever.

Maegi pushed the grim thought from her mind and assumed the dignified air of a pack leader and questing mother, lifting her muzzle to let out a howl for the leaders of this pack. Hopefully, they weren't among the ranks of those who distrusted or even despised Blackfeather Woods. If they were, though, it was a chance for her to set the record straight.

They had changed. No longer were they the menace of the flatlands. They hoped to keep to themselves. . .so long as others gave them the same courtesy.
144 Posts
Ooc — Noah
There was something off about her return to Diaspora. There was an air of sadness, of determination to recover from loss that while she felt it and mourned as well, she felt seperate from. Perhaps it was her mind, as she hadn't spoken to anyone since her return except Mahler but she felt like she would forever be an outcast due to her injury and her absence during the worst time possible. When a howl came from the borders her head lifted and per old habit she rose and made her way there, tail rising in the way that was natural for a wolf of a pack such as Diaspora. Her eyes landed first on the pale woman, glancing at the scar on her face and giving a brief moment to wonder how she got it. Either way it was a horrid mark and it stated she was a survivor of something terrible, a thing that caused her to look at the woman with more respect than she would a different stranger. She gave a brief glance at the two at the stranger's side before speaking "What can I do for you?" she asked getting to business, a quick glance behind her given for Mahler or Takiyok before she turned forward again.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Maegi was used to newcomers fixating on her face, her foot. This was the first time she found herself staring at an injury—this one the absence of a foreleg, leading to a gait even more unsteady than hers. She gathered her grace and good manners and gave the woman a nod, glancing at her children in the hopes that they weren't openly, rudely staring, either.

My name is Maegi. I. . . Should she say it? Might as well; her scent gave her away, anyway. I'm from Blackfeather Woods. These are two of my children—but one is missing. My daughter's twin, Sobek, Maegi added, gently nosing at Sakhmet's cheek in illustration.

She returned her gaze to the sentry, her eyes full of hope just barely kept in check; if she let it go, if she let herself dare to dream he was here. . .she'd be crushed, and Maegi knew it. Have you seen him? Has anyone here seen him? 

His scent isn't around. He hasn't come here. But that was the logical part of her brain, and for now, she stifled it. Just in case.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
She was not sure she enjoyed the idea of standing on another pack's borders, especially looking for her brother. Why would he be here? A frown crossed into her features but she remained silent for now. Watching the odd woman approach them upon the borders. The pack woman didn't give them any sort of introduction or welcoming, merely ushering them right into business.

When her mother aimed to show her off, Sakhmet moved about a little to give a full view of her appearance instead of hiding by the lean limbs of Maegi. Then she drew back again to leave the talking to the adults but there was no denying her interest in their words as her tall ears pushed forward.
you are an artist and your heart is your masterpiece
46 Posts
Ooc —
For the same reason that Anansi thought the non-Melonii wolves of Blackfeather Woods should be grateful that they were permitted to stay in their home, he very much doubted that Sobek could be found in another pack. Why would wolves who held their own turf take a stray pup into their ranks? If it was him, he didn't think he would take in some stray kid. But what did he know? He was very young and sheltered; likely his opinions would change with time.

His ears shot forward when a tawny female emerged from within the pack's territory, hobbling along on three legs, which to Anansi, wasn't much different than the way Maegi walked with her club foot. He hardly paid Kazimir's disability any mind at all, instead peering out from behind Maegi with his haunting, wide-eyed stare. Whatever he might've believed about how packs operated on their turf and the likelihood of Sobek being here, his ears were shoved almost painfully forward with interest.

Skippable!
Thread titles from I'll Keep You Safe by Sleeping At Last.
144 Posts
Ooc — Noah
It was quickly revealed that this woman was from a pack and to her dismay had a missing child. Kazimir didn't normally go out of her way to do anything helpful for others that weren't within the pack but her soft spot was children and her expression fell at the news. Her firey gaze dropped to study Sakhmet and once she was certain she could identify the reddish brown, charcoal marked child she lifted her gaze back toward the pallid woman "I'm afraid he isn't here but we do keep a watch over the whole mountain. I can tell my superior and perhaps suggest we take a look but other than that, I'm sorry to be of no use" she spoke in a kinder tone her voice sympathetic as she offered what she could on her part. She wasn't even a respected member of Diaspora anymore, she was dubious of any real pull she could have over helping a stranger.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She let out a gusty sigh at the woman's response, unable to quell the disappointment that boiled over for all to see and hear. Still, she was grateful that the scout at least would put in a word with their leadership (or at least said she would). If they really did have dominion over a wide swath of mountain, perhaps someone had seen Sobek and simply not reported it.

Thank you, Maegi responded, dipping her head gratefully despite her frustration. With herself, the situation. . .and other factors she knew were pointless to fixate on. Which pack is this? I don't remember smelling these borders when I was last here in the mountains.

She let her muzzle dip to gently brush across her children's heads, waiting for the woman's response.
144 Posts
Ooc — Noah
She truly felt bad for the woman,  especially with the heavy sigh that was given. She nodded slowly at the thanks given and stepped backward thinking the conversation was done and over with before Maegi asked what pack this was, stating she hadn't smelled them before. "This is Diaspora" she gave her the name reluctantly but afterwards gave a small smile "good luck in your search" she said and looked at the children who stood so quietly.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Diaspora, she repeated, committing the name and the scent to memory. Thank you, Maegi said again. She gave the barest of smiles, though one filled with gratitude, to the woman before turning her attention once more to her children. Come on, let's go—we'll stop to rest when we find a good place.

With a final nod toward the Diaspora scout, the trio shuffled away, onward to their next destination—wherever that might be or whenever it might occur.

last from me -- all parties can get another post in, otherwise I'll archive in a few days!
you are an artist and your heart is your masterpiece
46 Posts
Ooc —
His interest was quick to wane, but not by any fault of Kazimir's. He had been expecting something a little more firm, like why would we take in some pup that isn't one of us or we can't help you, get lost but instead, the Diaspora wolf was perfectly kind. Interesting. Perhaps it was better to be kind to those you thought less of so they would continue to do what you wanted them to do rather than rebelling against you.

Perhaps Kazimir was just a kind wolf who liked to help others, but that didn't fit as neatly into the square hole that was Anansi's brain as kindness as a power move did.

Thanks, he murmured, right on cue, so quiet it was likely inaudible. His bright eyes remained fixed on Kazimir for another couple beats before he turned to follow ena away.
Thread titles from I'll Keep You Safe by Sleeping At Last.