Moonspear sunshine through the rain and snow
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
attn: @Katya Noir

Hydra shook out her furs, licking her chops and thinking of all that had went on in recent days. Much was transpiring around them, and the matriarch sighed as she thought of it all. Neverwinter Forest was a thorn in her side, but she had not seen the likes of them since the Glen. Hydra would not be so bothered by them if they kept well enough away, but one could turn into more if they saw opportunity... and desired some false retribution. 

Some problems were best nipped in the bud. 

With a sigh, Hydra rolled her shoulders and prowled. The matriarch thought she caught wind of Katya and adjusted her course to follow the thin thread of the scent, hoping then to come across her.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
Since being accepted the woman kept her word to be useful. She'd set out almost daily in search of food to bring back to the pack and fill what caches needed refilling. She had also been patrolling (to an extent) the length of her home in search of foreign scents that were quickly replaced, by her, with the stench of Moonspear. Today she was doing much of the same, having returned to the pack after a brief stent of tracking but this time was empty handed. She thought next to travel the length of the border to scent mark before returning to her den for a much needed nap, and upon waking the young woman would most likely repeat the process before nightfall.

She was so caught up in her duty that she didn't catch Hydra approach her from behind and quelled the yelp that would have come from her mouth after such an unexpected approach. She spoke in a hurried voice with a hope that the queen hadn't caught her mishap, knowing that the dark woman expected her members to always be on alert. "Hydra, it's a pleasure seeing you again." she said, lowering her posture as she'd been taught when in the presence of one in a higher position and licked at her chin, hoping her earlier display of fear wouldn't cause punishment from the warrior queen.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra, sharp-eyed though she was, did not suspect Katya of anything ill and was none the wiser that she had caught her unawares here and now. When greeted, Hydra's tail waved in a loose, happy tandem behind her as she paused to sniff at her. Hydra thought she detected scents beyond the familiar scope of what she knew to be in the Wilderness, but was not certain of it. You, as well, she rejoined, licking her chops. 

What have you discovered? the matriarch inquired, her low voice warm; she was referring, of course, to the myriad of scents that lingered upon her. Hydra was happy that she had returned to them well and in good health, but there was a mystery present upon Katya's coat that came with those scents that Hydra was curious about. Taking some steps forward and inclining her muzzle to indicate that she would be joining Katya in her present pursuits, Hydra paused only to wait for Katya to move along with her.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
I suck, sorry!

She remained still when the woman sniffed at her, allowing her alpha to search her over as long as she wanted until she was through, wondering what had caught the woman's attention during this meeting. She wagged her tail with excitement when the woman asked whether she had found something worthwhile, in fact Katya had been making a concious effort to keep the stores full since joining but today she was sad to say she had nothing to show for her efforts today. "I smelled the stench of deer in the wind, but nothing I could take down on my own today." she said to the woman, having caught whiff of rabbits and small rodents here and there, but nothing worth bringing home. 

She watched as Hydra came to move alongside her, to accompany her on her patrol of the border where she'd been marking along the way and she felt her tail wag swiftly behind her for the honor. She was grateful to have the help as well. "no strange scents to be found either..." she said, knowing the woman would wish to be caught up about the status and health her borders. "seems that winter has kept the stragglers away." she said, though her patrols were mostly harmless, she wondered how she would handle a situation if their borders were indeed at risk. "those lessons... erm fighting lessons, when would they start?" she asked her comrade, curious of the length of time she had before her training to correctly and confidently protect their borders took place.
I have returned back to work full time and am also taking care of a newborn so bare with me in regard to replies. I will make it a priority to reply to threads at least within a week, if you have concerns do not hesitate to PM me and I can make our thread a higher priority. Posts are typically responded to by the weekend!
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT.

Hydra nodded to the other, disappointed to hear it only due to the prevalence of the lack of it; the only benefit to it was that her wolves were becoming quite adept at catching the herds of winter hare. Still, it was a task that cost plenty of energy with low reward for it unless several were caught. In any case, that Katya could not take it down independently was not of surprise to Hydra either. She could not think of any wolf adept enough to take down a lone animal themselves... except for she herself, though that had been largely due to the circumstances surrounding it. The whiteout weather coupled with the does fatigue had done her plenty of favors. 

But perhaps Hydra would become her families once-in-a-generation expert hunter. She was well on her way to it, and had yet to reach her own prime. Stepping alongside Katya, one ear swiveled in her companions direction. That is a first, she drawled, but she was glad to hear it. Still, we have had more than one trespasser in the past months. Perhaps they have heard what has happened to them, she considered. One had almost died, being impaled by a stick and threatened with further violence from herself and her brother, one had died, and the other... 

Hydra sighed. She would permit no one to harm her children. She had done well in keeping them safe, in teaching them the ways of the wild... she would only ever continue to do so, for as long as she was able. 

When Katya next spoke, Hydra looked to her: we can begin as soon as now, if you would like, she offered, if you are feeling rested and settled enough. Otherwise, perhaps tomorrow evening, one more nights sleep ought to do it, if the night prior had not given her enough rest from her travels and scouting.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
A single ear flicked in the direction of Hydra as she spoke, her response brought a smile to the lips of the dark woman when she was reassured that none had tresspassed on these lands since her joining. She hoped that their increasing numbers would continue to keep others at bay--if not, she was sure their well marked borders would make someone think twice. "I'm glad to hear that our reputation precede's us" she said, another smile found itself along her lips and she grew quiet, walking in deep thought alongside the larger woman. She thought of her position in the pack, whether she could truly make a impact to those around her and how far she could grow as a member of the community. 

Hydra's response snapped her back to reality, the woman gave her an option of starting her lessons now or waiting another day and Katya contemplated her options in silence. She knew that refusing the lesson another day would expose to Hydra how unenthusiastic she was at the idea of sparing, and could make her seem useless to the pack. She also knew that rushing head first into the activity would leave her open to scrutiny--she would take her chances with the latter. "I can start now." she said, her response dry, small and lacking confidence. She only hoped the dark and imposing woman would take it easy on her.
I have returned back to work full time and am also taking care of a newborn so bare with me in regard to replies. I will make it a priority to reply to threads at least within a week, if you have concerns do not hesitate to PM me and I can make our thread a higher priority. Posts are typically responded to by the weekend!
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra emitted a low note that revealed she concurred with Katya's point. As of late, it seemed to be the case... which Hydra was pleased with. She would much prefer this be the case; violent though she could be, it was far from her desire to be such a way at this point in her lifetime. But to protect her family, she did what she must. The actions of others had consequences when they trifled with her family; she would keep those that did not know better in check, and educate with her teeth—as she always had. As she likely always would. If Hydra knew the thought of the other woman, she likely would speak to it; any could make a lasting, and permanent, impact within their family should they work at it. Hydra did not doubt the others ability to do so, but time would tell... it always did. 

The woman then seemed to mull over her options; many seemed to think that Hydra's questions were something of a test, but she was only a woman who ever stated what she meant. It was not at all her wish to make her subordinates feel uncomfortable or pressured, though her presence was daunting to many. It was no wonder, that, and yet Hydra did not at all see herself the way others seemed to. She was a devoted leader who wanted those within her fold to feel at ease with her, with all

The matriarch was also a wolf who took others at their word. Even despite Katya's perceived pause, she had expressed she could start now; there was no doubt that this did please the matriarch to hear, despite her open-mindedness to the other not being ready. Though Hydra could detect easily enough that the other did not at all sound confident in their choice, she respected that she had made it nonetheless. Hydra would not let the other doubt themselves more than Katya seemed to... rather, Hydra hoped to erase the traces of that someday until the other was confident enough in themselves to feel prepared to defend, if ever it was needed. 

Nodding, the blue eyed woman licked her chops. Do you know the basics of self-defense? She inquired as they moved, starting firstly with this. Best to know what square Katya was starting at, and all of that.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
She looked toward Hydra, watching for any changes from the imposing leader and upon sensing none relaxed just a little--at least she could breathe a little easier. To say she was nervous to spar was an understatement, she was literally afraid of what would come next and the thought of making an embarrassment of herself caused her cheeks to warm beneath the dark hairs of her fur. She was happy that Hydra was taking her time and assessed where she was at when it came to sparring and for a moment the woman actually had to pause and think. She had no idea, fighting had never been her first response and her instinct to flee was nearly always activated at the sign of danger, protecting herself was not natural for her and instead she had made it a personal attribute to avoid conflict if she could. "I know to protect my scruff and throat at all times." she responded, perfecting the stance of rounding her shoulders and scrunching her neck before the imposing woman. "I also know to assess the situation, pay attention to key details of my opponent and to remain quick on my feet if need be." she said, licking her lips afterward as they had immediately grown dry. Katya had grown quick with age and it helped that her small size gave her an advantage but only ever so slightly given her stubby and thick limbs. "I'm all ears to learn what you're willing to throw at me though...." she admitted, finally growing silent while still in a defensive stance.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra listened to Katya, nodding along with her as she pointed out important facts. The stout woman before her did as she said, and when asked Hydra went on. Your ears are vulnerable, and susceptible to bleeding plenty too. Instinct cannot help you when it comes to resisting that initial push forward, she knew it herself, but flatten them as swiftly as you can upon your head. Narrow your eyes, too; they are easy targets for an inexperienced wolf who might seek to dole out damage wherever they might. Hydra waited to see that she was understood before loosely circling Katya, breathing easy all the while. It was easy to see Katya was nervous; her inexperience a dead enough giveaway. Control your breathing. None need know your inexperience. To give them that answer before the fight begins is to give much of the fight away. It was too easy for Hydra to dispatch an inexperienced wolf, but she need not say that much to dissuade Katya from even trying. 

Pausing once she was before her, Hydra drawled, square your weight. Keep it even. A good defense means you are prepared for a good offense, she revealed. That could dissuade an aggressor... at least to the point of thinking twice. Sometimes, that was enough.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
She watched as the woman circled her, giving advice to keep her eyes and ears in check in case her opponent wished to cause them damage. Hydra also recommended that she keep her breathing in order, and the woman drew in a deep inhale of air, hoping to stop the anxiety that was beginning to take over. Immediately the smaller woman found herself shrink from the pressure, scared that she would fail in the presence of an audience so important and too hopeless to stop the event from happening. She inhaled sharply, hoping it would calm her drumming heart but failed miserably. It felt as though her throat was constricting, lessoning her ability to take in any further air and she felt frightened. She grew light headed and hot, and oddly enough her paws began to tingle as oxygen dwindled within them. She flinched, as though hit, and lowered her body in an effort to stop the world from spinning, sharply inhaling once more and holding the breath as though it would be her last. "don't hurt me..." she said, barely audibly, whinning and visibly shaking.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra watched Katya unfold, unravel; her eyes did not leave her as instinct took hold over the other. What was this? There was nothing to fight against; Katya had already given up, prepared simply to take the hit. That was not the point of this; Hydra withdrew and drawled without judgment, I will not, and then, after a beat, you are not yet ready. Not mentally, it seemed, and that was a large part of this; if one did not have the will to fight, they would be beaten. Perhaps even killed depending on their opponent. 

Hydra was uncertain why Katya had acted as she had; she did not understand that she may have been through something in her lifetime to make this her base reaction. What she was certain of, though, was that she could be there for her and help her to better prepare. I did not mean to make you... to have you feel such a way, she hummed. Katya had said she was ready to learn now; Hydra had believed her.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
Despite visibly shivering beneath the gaze of her superior, she felt heat radiate from her at it made her even the more uncomfortable. She had blown it, and there was no possible way that she could come back from this embarrassment. She didn't move, seeming to be frozen at the spot and much too shocked to look at her counterpart who was no doubt staring at her in disbelief--if there could be any other emotion to Katya's reaction. She wasn't quite sure what had happened but her heart was still racing and her voice seemed trapped in her throat, it took a moment of mental coaxing before she could muster a single word.

"Sorry." she said, never daring to look at Hydra after failing to stand her ground. It there was ever a moment that she could have a do over this would be the moment but there was no such thing and Katya had shown her leader that she was incapable of not only protecting herself but the pack she had pledged to protect. now what? she thought, another frustrated whine escaping her jaws. " I did not...I do not know what came over me." she admitted, head pressed against the earth where it belonged. "I am not a fighter..." she trailed off, repeating to the woman what she had admitted to her upon acceptance. She had never been taught to fight and had no need for the skill, her paws had always been more successful in carrying her away from the fight than her jaws had been in leading her toward it.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The apology was one that Hydra took to heart; she hoped that Katya would be honest with her ever after this. Perhaps fear, Hydra wondered aloud. Katya had told her she was not a fighter; the prospect of learning with ones Queen was daunting, especially when she was as skilled as she was. But Hydra never sought to use that as an advantage; she only sought to teach and explain and show, not once using an ounce of her true strength upon her.

In any case, Hydra drawled, I know. I do not expect you to become one, either; I only want you to be able to defend yourself. Your kills. The children that are here, and the children that will be. My desire is not to turn you into a fighter, but I think it is important to know how to defend yourself against those that already are, she drawled. I have come across them many a time in my years within the Teekon. Imagine the way you felt as you just did; and then imagine being up against someone who truly would wish to cause you bodily harm. Such wolves exist, and I know they roam the Wilds even as we speak of them, she hummed.

Astara, Caiaphas, Merrick.

Katya would make for a decent course in-between meals as she was; Hydra would not have her fall victim to them, if she could help it. Already she cared a great deal for the woman on principle alone. Hydra, too, was a protector; it felt like the right thing to do to share her skillset, even if only the bare minimum was wished, and how to apply it.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
It was fear indeed. She lifted herself, only slightly, as honey colored eyes stared at her queen to listen while she explained that had she been in the presence of a stranger she would have no mercy. Katya knew such information was true and perhaps the reason she preferred to stick near the border though her duty to the pack often caused her to wander, making her quite the sitting duck. She nodded her head in agreement with her alpha and lifted her body into a sit, finally the shivering had stopped and her heart rate settled enough for her to take a deep inhale. "You are right," was all she could muster for now, the weight of embarrassment on her shoulders. She had blown it with Hydra, even if the woman seemed geniune in her concern. "I..we...can try another time maybe. I'll be more prepared." she said, knowing that the next encounter would be better than the first. She would of course be much more prepared and fight harder to keep her emotion and fear in check during the next encounter with Hydra for sure. "I hope you know that I am really trying." she said, hoping once more to please the dark woman.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra nodded to Katya, unsure if she trusted that entirely though having enough faith to decide she would see it through if she truly wished for this. The matriarch moved to nose her subordinates shoulder in a show of companionship; she did not want Katya to feel dismayed by this. She simply wanted her to learn from it, and become better for it. Another time, she drawled agreeably, and was content then to move on. Tell me of all you had seen in your own explorations in the Wilds. Anything of true interest to you, other than preyscent? Wolves, or noteworthy interactions, she wondered. Her tail waved, hoping to focus now on Katya's strengths and areas she was confident in. 

The matriarch did not fault her for not being good at defending when she had no experience in the area; she found it brilliant that at the least, Katya was willing to learn. Just because she had her anxieties about it hardly meant Hydra thought less of her, and she did not want the other to think so.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
Another time the matriarch promised and she nodded without a word, leaning into Hydra's touch with a smile. The woman accepted her despite her faults, her voice never raising in tone or posture in aggression even given the scenerio that occurred between them and for this Katya was grateful--she would forever be in her debt. The topic switched to Katya, queries of her experience in the Wilds and what she had seen thus far made her head spin--there was too many things to mention. "I met a lone wolf in Stavanger Bay, her name was Valkyrie. We fished and promised to meet up again for bird hunting." she said, tail swaying quickly behind her with excitement. The dark woman had ignited in her an interest in fishing that she hadn't known before.

"I also met another wolf in Spotted Eagle Mountain, his name was Venamis I believe. He on the other hand, was a wolf I'd rather have not met. He had the audacity to call me a thief." she said, with a shake of her crown, a visible frown on her face. There were others, Belharra for example but she wasn't quite sure what to think of the storytelling vixen, though their meeting was another she hadn't forgotten. She hoped to meet her again for a second impression. "I've been trying to stick to the pack though, and get myself acquainted with everyone. Jarilo, is he your mate?" she'd been wondering since her acceptance, in fact she had plenty more questions about the pack in general, the most important being how they managed to take over the mountain.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The Bay; Hydra thought fondly of the place. Once, her father had claimed that very territory. Strange to think that—but still, it caused the she-wolf to have further appreciation for the coastal wolves and land. Interested in the fishing, Hydra wondered aloud: have you found much fish? Large game had been all but missing, but fish were another option perhaps she ought to consider. More difficult here given the waterways had frozen, though perhaps ice-fishing might bring some positive result. It was a thought, at least. As for bird hunting, Hydra nodded; perhaps Katya would return with some fowl, or perhaps the birds would be swift in their escape. It sounded as though she had made a friend in the stranger, or at least was working toward such. Does she claim the Bay? She inquired secondly; good to know what was going on in territories near and far. 

Listening to her next encounter with a wolf called Venamis, Hydra was curious to hear that Katya had been called a thief. The other seemed offended by it, but not to the point of aggressive defensiveness which would have revealed to Hydra (as she perceived) that maybe she had. Katya seemed a good wolf, though; Hydra trusted her and did not think she would steal from another without reason. Like being stolen from first, perhaps. Even then... Katya was not much of a fighter (or one at all, as she saw). Hydra doubted she would instigate one in such a way. 

As for getting to know the others, Hydra was pleased by this. She was made most happy by interpack relations; she wanted them all to be close and tightly knit. For her own part Hydra was primarily found in Moonspear, to do so as often as she could. The question about Jarilo caused her head to swing in her subordinates direction. He is not my mate, she corrects gently, Dirge is. Perhaps you will soon meet him; he wanders the territory a lot, and also enjoys scouting. Jarilo is my brother, she informs, tail swaying behind her as she thought of him.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
Recalling the events since her acceptance allowed her to realize that she had done plenty more than previously thought. She'd put herself out there, met others both outside the pack and within, and from these experiences she gained a friend or two--in the case of Venamis she had learned a valuable lesson. She turned her head when Hydra asked whether there were plenty of fish to catch and the woman nodded her head in excitement, "yes in fact, we found plenty. I even tried my hand at catching crab. Have you ever had one?" she wondered, her tail swaying slowly behind her with excitement. The activity had been one worth remembering indeed. "she doesn't claim it, if my memory serves me correctly she does not have a home." she considered offering her companion a home within Moonspear and would make a note to herself for the next meeting to extend an invitation, having a hunting partner within the pack would prove most rewarding.

She was corrected swiftly and rightly so, it had been a huge error for her to assume that Jarilo was her name and it was even more of an insult that Katya hadn't considered that the male, given his likeness to Hydra, was her brother. She made a mental note to work on weaving that thread of pack relatives to know exactly who was related to whom within Moonspear. "I have yet to meet Dirge, I look forward to meeting him." she acknowledged, wondering how to male compared to the strength and dominance of his mate, she assumed that the male probably shared very similar if not the same, qualities of Hydra. "my apologies for thinking you and Jarilo were a couple, I just noticed the way he looked at you, with admiration and respect, I thought that there was something else. I was obviously incorrect." she said, swallowing away the lump of embarrassment that was crawling its way up her throat. She definitely felt and sounded as dumb as the question she had asked. "are most of the wolves in Moonspear a relative?" she wondered, eluding once more to her quest to map out the lineage.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
As the other brought up crab, Hydra rifled through her memories. I think perhaps once, she admitted, thinking back on a time she had been to the Bay with her father, though I am overdue to try the delicacy again it seems. I cannot seem to remember the taste, she shared with a small grin. Hydra yearned to see the Bay again; her children would do well to see it for themselves, too. It was a part of their great and vast family history. Whoever might come to own it in the future would not have been the first—the first of them had planted their roots, permanently, here. Frankly, she was glad to hear that Vallkyrie did not claim the land if only for her own selfish reasons... but if she was a good hunter, and knew how to scavenge fare with harder-shells, perhaps she might have a place here someday. 

The matriarch shifted her weight as she brought up Dirge. I am sure you will come across him soon, she imagines. Moonspear was vast, and her mate was not a recluse. He could be seen wandering the territory more often than not given the quakes that had touched the lands beyond... but since they had ceased, he could also be found beyond the borders. 

As Katya explained, Hydra hummed. It is purely platonic, I assure you, she drawled, though appreciated hearing it. Hydra loved her brother as only a sister could, and to hear of what Katya saw warmed her. The other inquiry was met with a wan smile. I like to think regardless of blood, those that reside here come to be family. But I have several sisters and brothers within the ranks; my children, too. My parents once led this place. Moonspear has seen many years, and Hydra had seen several of them herself. She thought of them fondly, and only wished her parents could still be here to see many more. The matriarch could go on and on about it, and fully enjoyed Katya's curiosity of their history... a history now Katya herself was a part of.

But the two fell into a comfortable silence among one another for the remainder of the hour, navigating an easy enough path for them both to travel that would not exhaust her subordinate... but that might strengthen her muscles and increase her endurance nonetheless, Hydra hoped.