Big Salmon Lake far from grace
17 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
The scent of water had drawn Frøya from protective thicket of brambles she had holed herself up in for the past week. She had lost some weight during her travels, with her usual slender physique appearing more gaunt than could be considered flattering on a young female. The wolf's dark coat was unkept also, with her raven coloured fur twisted and matted along her sleek frame. It was clear from her appearance that Frøya was not exactly thriving as a lone wolf, something she began to contemplate as she loped briskly towards the great expand of open water ahead. 

As her paws came to halt at the edge of the murky water, her head lowered down to allow her to tongue to lap at the lake's reflective surface. Dark orange eyes briefly glimpsed at her shimmering reflection as she quenched her thrist, a soft frown pinching at her brows as she quickly dismissed her hagged appearance. She was mess. Licking her charcoal lips, the female leant back into a sit and began nibbling at the tangled hair around her rear end, small grunts and huffs escaping her as she tuggled and licked at the dirty matted fur.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
With Dirge home again, Hydra felt the need to stretch out her own legs. It would likely be the last time she was able to do so for a while. Hydra knew, now, thanks to her sisters diagnosis that she was with child. It was a pleasing thing to think of, but Hydra—protector that she was—wanted to do one last perimeter scan of the Wilderness with @Alya before she sequestered herself to the Spear. 

Along her journey, further than usual, she witnessed a wolf grooming themselves. Passing by strangers was not at all uncommon, but Hydra was vigilant and wanted to ascertain that this particular wolf passing through was neither cannibal nor monster. She kept her distance, but paused with her gaze upon the dark tawny she-wolf; she detected no burnished ruff, though her eyes lingered near the shoulderblades to see if there was anything there... before recalling that this was a she-wolf. Not the male she sought. But there was still no discounting there could be an affiliation, and so she remained watchful to see how the other might react to her presence there. Aggressive? Or welcoming?
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
17 Posts
Ooc —
Frøya was completely focused, tugging and pulling incessantly at a particuarly large patch of matted fur near her tail. If she had not been so consumed in her grooming, perhaps she would have noticed the approach of the other wolf sooner. The scent of the female caught the younger wolf off-guard. Immediately her movement paused and her nostrils flared as Frøya lifted her head to glance around her. 

Burnt-orange eyes eventually spotted the darker figure of the pack wolf. Her scent was one she'd smelt before, it belonged to one of the packs which resided nearby. Their heavily marked borders had been hard to ignore and Frøya had taken particular care not to wander too close in fear of being chased-off for accidentally tresspassing. Now on neutral territory, the young female was more at ease, though a part of her remained cautious. Shifting about to stand, she turned her body to fully face the stranger whilst still keeping a safe distance away. Dark tail waved at a neutral height behind her in casual greeting, though her ears pricked forwards inquisitively.  

Catching the other female's dark blue gaze for a moment, her eyes quickly flickered back towards the calm surface of the lake behind her. "Oh, don't let me stop you, you're welcome to take a drink." Frøya assured her, somewhat bashfully, as she took a couple of steps off to one side.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Body language was difficult for Hydra not to reciprocate. Savage in nature, she was still amicable (enough) until the need for that arise. Her tail swayed behind her to reveal she herself meant no harm, and when the other spoke Hydra's gaze shifted toward the water there. Truth be told, she had not recognized her own thirst. The other certainly had not stopped her, but she was so focused on all that had been going on and was going on that she scarcely had a minute to think of herself, her needs, her wants. 

Frøya had not stopped her, but she had reminded her. A grateful noise came from her, and she approached the water to take a quick drink. There was little ice left upon the Lake thanks to Springs thawing, but it was blissfully chilled. Hydra lifted her head, water dripping from her chin. Licking her chops, the matriarch regarded the stranger. 

Shifting her weight, Hydra drawled, you have not happened to come across a recently injured black she-wolf on your travels, have you? her voice good-natured, and not absent of interest. She attacked my son, you see, a warning enough that Frøya herself should be vigilant. Kindness, for kindness.
17 Posts
Ooc —
Reassured by the stranger's neutral acknowledgement, Frøya felt comfortable to remain lingering by the water's edge whilst the dark female quenched her thirst. Frøya eyed the older female curiously, taking the opportunity to breathe in the other's scent once more now that she was in such close proximity. A menagerie of other scents clung to her coat; the smell of damp earth, pine trees and lavender were all distinguishable, along with numerous scents of the others in her pack — too numerous for Frøya to count, but pungent all the same. It made the female curious and she wandered how plentiful their territory must've been to support a pack of such a substantial size. 

Dark lashes blinked shut as her warm gaze quickly refocused on the darker female as Frøya caught her question. Dark brown dipped into a soft frown as she thought back over the past few days. Truthfully she had not seen anyone, having done her best to avoid confrontation from other wandering wolves. "No, I'm afraid not." Frøya replied honestly, her tone hinting at her concern for the injured wolf. Nostril's flared at the mention of the woman's son and her dark ears pressed back awkwardly, wondering now if her original concern had unwittingly been misplaced. "Oh, I'm sorry, is your son alright? Do you know what prompted the attack?!" Now Frøya was concerned. Concerned for the pack wolf's son, and concerned for herself.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
A shame. It seemed no one had; Hydra wondered if ever she might come across someone who had. Someone who could lead her in the right direction. Any direction would do at this point, one she could head in to find out more. But as of yet there was nothing. In a way, it was not so bad a thing; it meant at the very least the stranger before her had not come to harm by her, at least... nor did she know any who had any similar incidents. Not that Hydra thought, anyway. Similar occurrences often bred a conversation on the matter, but there were no notes to compare. 

The concern that came from the other was well received. Hydra cared a great deal for her pack and her children both. Still Arcturus, too. He apparently could not fend for himself as well as she had thought. Hydra removed the thought from her mind; she could not worry after him, a grown man who had made his own choices. He has recovered, she drawled, though the wolf who defended him did not. His name was Dacio; infection killed him, she informed with a shake of her head. Dacio was a hero, and she would have his name sung by friends and strangers alike. Astara had not ended him, his stubborness to be healed had... but that need not be shared. 

Hydra regarded the stranger thoughtfully before speaking again, It is not a good time to be on ones lonesome, now. Have you a pack to return to? Anyone to travel with? She asked then. The others caring for Osiris brought out Hydra's better nature, it seemed. In turn, Hydra cared for the others well-being... if only slightly.
17 Posts
Ooc —
A small relieved smile tugged at the corners of the female's dark lips as she discovered the son had been fortunate enough to recover from the incident. However the smile soon faded again and her brows pinched tighter together at the mention of his guardian. "Oh.." Frøya breathed, not sure what to say, watching in dispair as the stranger shook her head at the sore reality of the situation. "I'm sorry to hear that, truly." Frøya added, as she was truly sadened by the news, whether they be a stranger to her or not. 

The dark female's salmon pink tongue swept awkwardly across her lips, hesitant to say much more on the situation in case it should incite a bad reaction from the older female. Fortuneately, the silence did not linger for long as the pack wolf swiftly turned to question her current situation. "No, I'm here alone." Frøya admitted, suddenly feeling all the more vulnerable with what she had now come to know. "You belong to a pack nearby?" The female asked, her tone more of a statement and less of a question. The scent of the stranger had already provided her with the answer. Still, the young female was keen to enquire further. If there was a wolf around who was in the habit of attacking others, Frøya would do well not to remain a lone target. The pack wolf was right about that.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Thank you, Hydra breathed in turn. It was not okay; it would never be okay. Vengeance would not return him from the grave, but it was not vengeance she sought. It was justice, so that no others would fall into their own grave far earlier than they needed to. His death will not be in vain. I will find the wolf who brought my family to harm to start with, sooner or later, she drawled darkly. It was only a matter of time. Hydra could wait. She was a very patient woman. 

The others admittance had Hydra concerned. It was up to the other whether or not she sought to join one, but... Hydra would not leave her in the dark. I am Queen of Moonspear. The largest mountain in the range over there, Hydra gestured to it so that the she-wolf could see for herself. If you are a capable hunter, and are willing at least to learn how to protect yourself and your fellows... there is room for you there. But I should warn you that I seek retribution. I have come to find that these wolves attack children they believe cannot protect themselves. I intend to keep this Wilderness safe; should they return here, and should we come across them, I will have justice, she supplied. Hydra was fiercely loyal to her own. They would pay for the harm they have brought to her family.
17 Posts
Ooc —
The female's statement about finding the wolf who attacked her son and resulted in the death of her friend, caused Frøya's jaws to clench tighter together, taken back a touch by the dark determination in their voice. It seemed the older female was not one to forgive and forget easily, something which normally Frøya might disagree with. However, the death of a loved one was not something that was easily moved on from, especially given the circumstances. In this instance the young female could emphasise with the other wolf. Justice was needed for the crime that had been comitted. Frøya wished the woman well in tracking down and confronting the culprit, wherever they may be. 

As thier conversation turned to her pack, or rather lack thereof, Frøya was keen to learn the name and rank of the female she was in the company of, along with a mention of their pack's far-reaching territory. The dark female turned her head, mirroring the other wolf as she followed her gaze across to the mountain peaks in the distance. Her orange eyes danced along their jagged ridges with interest, her tail waving slowly behind her at the offer of a home there, before her attention returned to Hydra. The smile began to return to her features before she stopped, swiftly reigning in her excitement as Hydra explained what she required and expected of her, and what she intended to do in the coming weeks and months. 

It seemed that should Frøya choose to accept her offer, she would not only be joining their ranks but would also be putting herself forward to fight, if need be, should she come across the attacker. Frøya took a moment to consider what she had been told, to go over all the information she has been given, before coming to an answer. "Frøya." She offered her name with a polite nod, before continuing. "I can hunt, better when in a team." She confirmed. "And, if you would be willing to train me, I would be willing to put myself forward to protect the pack — and your children — from whatever savages stalk these parts." Frøya could tell how much Hydra cared for her pack by the way she spoke of them and the lengths she was prepared to go to ensure that they were safe. Hydra was the type of alpha Frøya would have been proud to serve under.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The other spoke of her abilities, and Hydra nodded. That was true for most wolves; they were pack creatures, after all. Small game was easy enough to hunt alone, but large game was far more challenging. Given she would not need to teach the other a basic survival skill Hydra felt all wolves truly ought to know, she was satisfied with the answer given there... and more than that, that she was willing to learn. Hydra breathed a sigh of relief to hear it. 

I have asked my wolves in the meantime that when they leave the territory, to bring someone with them if they wish so that if they do come under fire, they are not alone and have the aid of their fellows. I travel now with my sister, Alya, she gestured to the figure in the near distance. I am currently also searching for another subordinate of mine... a wolf whom had been close to the wolf that has passed, Dacio. She is pale-furred with dark spots beneath her eyes. But I suppose we can continue to look for her on the way back, Hydra drawled. She gestured to her side, should the other wish to take her place there, and asked then, I am Hydra, she introduced.
17 Posts
Ooc —
The alpha female seemed accepting of her honest answer about her abilities. Frøya had been in a few scuffles in the past, but nothing awfully serious where her fighting skills had truly be tested. She would need some training, that was certain.

The young female nodded in understanding as Hydra explained how she advised all her subordinates to travel with a pack mate when leaving the territory. It was a good idea, given the recent happenings. Dark ears pricked up as Frøya diverted her attention to the other shadowy figure who lingered in the far distance, Hyra's sister Ayla who up until now the young female had not noticed. At Hydra's mention of another wolf, Frøya listened intently, making a mental picture of the wolf in her head going by the description. "I assume she needs to be informed of his passing?" The young wolf asked, tilting her head in question. 

A nod in agreement was given to the idea of keeping an eye out for the wolves on the way back to the pack territory. In truth Frøya was keen to follow the alpha to her territory, wanting to escape the wilderness for the time being. Once she has got her head around everything and settled into the pack, Frøya would be able to focus more of her efforts on searching expiditions. At the mention of the alpha's name, the dark female offered a smile, her tail now moving to submissively tuck between her legs as she sunk lower to the ground in respect of her now superior. At Hydra's invitation to follow at her side, the young wolf moved in closer with little hesitation and followed obediently alongside her Queen.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
No, I believe she is aware, Hydra drawled. Upon his late form had been her scent. Opalia, another of your packmates, searches for her too. But I think she might have drifted to mourn. Still, it has been... a while, now, which was what worried her. Hydra licked her chops. I had hoped she would not go alone to grieve, knowing all that she did, and Dacio being a wolf she so cared to. Praimfaya displayed extreme carelessness and recklessness both in her endeavor, both traits that displeased and worried Hydra further. Such traits could get her killed independent of even their enemy. 

There had been much disorder and tumult as of late. But Hydra cared primarily for the wellbeing of her wolves. Grief also made others stupid with it. But Hydra, knowing that, would do her best not to become one even while she grieved her own latest loss. More than one. Her brother, who willingly turned his back on her; still she could not understand it, comprehend it. 

Interested in her newest subordinate, though, Hydra thought to ask: how was it you came to be in the Wilderness? What brought you here? with a slight wave of her tail.
17 Posts
Ooc —
Hearing that another of her subordinate's had gone off in search of the pale-furred wolf, and had yet to return back to the pack in a timely manner, Frøya quickly offered up her own help — keen to be of immediate use to her new alpha. "I can go in search of her — all three of them — later, if you permit it?" The younger wolf offered, her dark-orange eyes glancing acorss to meet the deep blue stare of her superior. "Though, I should know, what are my instructions should I come across either one of them?" She asked with a tilt of her head. It was best for Frøya to find out specific instructions now so she should not run into the situation unprepared. 

In response to Hydra's next question, the young female's ears fell back against her head. "Itchy paws, I suppose. I began to feel trapped within my parent's pack. The same routine, the same wolves, the same prospects.." Frøya admitted with a soft shrug of her shoulders and a glance towards her new alpha. "So I left." The dark female told her, with a determined look in her orange eyes. It was clear that once she had her mind set on something, there was no stopping the young wolf.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra turned to the other as she suggested she could search for them, if permitted. Hydra licked her chops. Mmm. I would rather you rest first, and integrate with the pack beforehand. And should you ever come across them, call for any of Moonspear. We will practice self-defense together, should they become aggressive... which they might. Only when you are comfortable with searching should you go, Hydra hummed. The matriarch did not want the other to step outside of her comfort zone and put herself at risk if she did not feel she was ready for that. Hydra could understand that, of course... she wanted all of her subordinates safe. New, and old. 

Ah, Hydra drawled. She herself had never experienced itchy paws. Wanderlust was not in her own nature. Hydra had been rooted to Moonspear for three years. She suspected it would be that way for the rest of her life, however long or short that might be. Well, should itchy paws be a natural predisposition... perhaps scouting might be something of interest to you. Where you can travel, learn of other packs and other wolves and gain information and share what is learned with my mate and I... Dirge, he is Moonspears King. The Wilds are vast here. There is always something to learn, she thought aloud with a wave of her tail. The faces within Moonspear were loyalists. There were others, not of their blood, that might come and go... but there was always some sort of change beyond them, Hydra had found.
17 Posts
Ooc —
Frøya nodded in agreement when Hydra suggested that she settle into the pack first, before heading out to track down the three wolves of interest. It made sense, plus it would allow the young female some time to regain her strength and energy before starting another long expidition into the wilderness. At the mention of practicing self-defence together, Frøya's ears perked up in interest. "I would certainly appreciate that, thank you." She admitted, genuinely grateful for any time her new alpha would be willing to personally invest in honing her fighting skills. "I understand." Frøya added, making clear that she understood Hydra's wishes for her. She would only place herself into a situation she was prepared for, and not before that. 

Frøya had not been sure how her new alpha would take her admittance of itchy paws. She had been slightly worried that it might have been taken the wrong way, that Hydra might think her to be selfish, ditching a pack when she grew bored, and therefore not view her as the loyal subordinate she intended to be. Much to the young female's relief, Hydra did not take offense with her honesty, but instead listened and suggested to her a role within the pack which might allow her the freedom she had so desperately craved throughout her adolescence, without the need to abandon the pack. The role of scout certainly caught Frøya's interest, causing her deep-orange eyes to widen and glimmer with excitement. "The scouting role definitely sounds like one I'd be interested in pursuing." Frøya confirmed, with a contented sway of her dark tail behind her as she followed closely beside Hydra towards Moonspear mountain.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra's tail waved to hear her say so. My mate is a man whose paws itch to roam, as yours do; he could tell you a good deal more about it, I think. My sister, too, here she gestured toward Alya, though her sister was far ahead of them both by now. Though she keeps to herself and her mate as of late. Likely due to the season, she drawled, which reminded her as she looked to the she-wolf, Which reminds me... I know not if you know of the birds and the bees, but Moonspear is a familial pack. I run this by all of the women, and the men, too. We do not permit bastard-born children, nor breeding without express permission of my mate and myself. There was a famine last year, and it was this wisdom, I believe, that kept the cubs alive, she hummed. Only four. This year, perhaps more if they were fortunate... but Jarilo had been a long-standing member of the pack, and Kukutux had early on expressed her interest. 

If you find yourself in your season, I can aid you in getting you out of it. It is not a pretty process, but if you do not wish for children this year nor the potential to make a mistake in your season... I will assist you, she drawled. Likely the dark tawny woman knew of the process if she was born in a familial pack herself and her mother did not permit her older sisters to breed without mates of their own. Hydra was different; resources permitting, and loyalty shown, with a mate Hydra had no qualms with allowing it. The whole process had caused much chaos within Moonspear, but Hydra would have it no other way. They had survived this long for it, and they would continue to do so and thrive without fretting for the wellbeing of their young. The two continued on in relative silence, Hydra answering other questions that may be asked along the way home.