Kappa

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,204 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
All Welcome 
Part of the travel threads from Moonglow to Duskfire; open to anyone!

As the winds pulsed down the spine of the hill that Kigipigak now cavorted upon he saw the glittering of frost.

It was a cold wind; feeling it bite across his cheekbones was exhilarating, and as he climbed higher he felt the rumble of the earth from the sea far below.

It was like being back home in the north, except that the grass remained green and brown and alive, rather than coated in ice.

Overhead winged a great swath of birds; while usualy they would be disturbed by the appearance of a wolf among them, there were many of them, and Kigipigak had put some distance between himself and those traveling from the village.

They were unafraid, free-wheeling high above him, perhaps to coax him over the edge.
This is my art, and it is dangerous
1,693 Posts
Ooc — Liv
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
references to the BWP that's being posted

Nyra would part from the main group for a brief time, looking for something to catch as a snack. 
So far, there's been nothing. 
All the prey animals she's found have been dead and smelling of sickness. 
She would bring it up to Kukutux and Aiolos soon. 
For now though, the fallen one chuffed softly to Kigipigak and looked up at the birds a small yet respectable distance from him. 

"Something is happening in the Wilds. Every prey animal I find smells of foul sickness, alive or already dead." The shieldmaiden murmured to him, worry flitting through her gaze. 
She watched the birds fly for some moments, tail hanging limp at her hocks.
Fury is in peak condition
Health (100/100)
Fury claims a +6 buff in all combat dice rolls
Moonglow
Kappa

1,204 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
He did not immediately turn from watching the birds, despite hearing the approaching figure. Someone of heft, more muscle than anything. When they spoke Kigipigak looked over, surprised that it was not Aiolos or Shikoba, who he had anticipated. It was more likely they both aided Kukutux with the children.

The role of the wolf is to purge sickness. He remarks. It is one of the lessons of Tartok: the strong thrive, the weak perish. Is it so bad to find easy prey? He doesn't think so — but what does Kigipigak know of these things.

He watches her a moment. She is familiar beneath all of those wounds, and after some study of her face he turns from the ledge. Are you sure it is not your own wounds you smell? This wolf, and her companions, had not been with them long prior to the migration. Kigipigak doubted much had been done to tend those abraisions and tears.
1,693 Posts
Ooc — Liv
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
His remark is met with a soft hum of agreement. 
Yes, that is a wolf's purpose in the natural order of things.

To his question as he turned from the ledge, Nyra nodded once, firmly. She was certain.
"This doesn't smell like infection to me. It smells...rancid, wrong. I'm no medic, but whatever it is... I'm not sure if it's able to be spread to us if we eat any of the sick prey." 
There was genuine worry in Nyra's gaze, uncertainty of what this could mean for the pack, for everyone, really. 
She also looked ready to lead him to the last place she saw a recently dead critter that smelled of it.
If he needed proof. 

For once in her recent years, Nyra looked somewhat scared.
Health (100/100)
Moonglow
Kappa

1,204 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Rancid, infection, wrong, it all was the same to Kigipigak. Most of the time old meat had a sour note to it but his stomach fared well enough. He took the words of the wounded woman under advisement but not with any great imperative; he was not wise in the way of medicine as a woman might be, such as Kukutux, and thought that Nyra's suspicion was akin to superstition, which did not sit well within the Tartok's mind.

A concerned look knit itself beneath her many scars. He did not like to see such a thing on anyone, being a generally jovial sort of creature himself, and let out a small laugh.

I am sure it will be fine! He did not mean to discount what she thought, however, Kigipigak was not aware of how condescending his tone could sound. We will gather what we can for the village to eat. They can judge for themselves, or we can bring it to Kukutux and have her decide. The people need to eat before we reach the glacier. They had already been without a proper meal for many nights now, and they had children with them.

Kigipigak would not fail to provide — and he thought, if they were to get sick or to perish, it was the natural way. He doubted that Moonglow was so weak that it could fall to a poor-smelling bit of meat, though.
1,693 Posts
Ooc — Liv
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She watched Kigipigak's face with the same worry, feeling a bit unheard as he tried to get her to relax.

With a heavy sigh, Nyra nodded and began to turn away.
"I think it best to bring them to Kukutux for her verdict...I think...i think that would ease my worries..." She murmured, stopping a moment to look back at the man.

"When I'm more healed, I would like to spar with you again...if you're up for it?" She offered.

She was a soldier by nature, unable to go extended periods without keeping herself in shape and her fighting abilities as sharp as possible. 
Even though she was trying to become better, that didn't mean she would abandon the training she had. Her blades would be at her hip forever.
Health (100/100)
Moonglow
Kappa

1,204 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
It had been some time since Kigipigak had sparred. He did not recognize this woman until she mentioned this, and as soon as the offer came to spar again his grin faltered. His mind spun while he went through various emotions so quickly that he'd never identify them all; but then he grinned again, awareness arriving in a lightbulb moment.

She had seemed familiar before! The scars had changed things, and his busy mind (focused on work, and on the protection of Kukutux, or the village). His tail lifted and drifted to-and-fro.

Yes! Yes, I would of course spar again. It would take some time before she was healthy enough, he thought. It had certainly taken him months before he had felt capable after his own near-death; and here she was, facing possible injury or infection, following the village to the glacier! She was made differently from many wolves.

But I will judge when we can spar. He advised. Your wounds need much tending, and you require much rest. We should find you something fresh to eat! They could hunt; or, if the idea repulsed her as he thought it might, perhaps find some fish frozen in the many creeks and rivers of the wilderness, which would aid her recovery.

Let us return to the camp. You can rest there and speak with Kukutux about your worries. I will go and find something! It was a good plan. It gave Kigipigak something to focus on that wasn't Sakhmet, for a change.
1,693 Posts
Ooc — Liv
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
we can fade with your next post if you'd like? <3

Nyra watched Kigipigak falter, and then beam again as it seemed he finally knew who she was. 
A light chuckle, with the added motion of her own tail swaying softly. 
The Warmaiden grinned as he accepted her offer, and she nodded once as he advised that he judge when they could brawl once more.

In the meantime though, food. 

She laughed openly and paused as her own stomach rumbled embarrassingly loud. 

"Perhaps food would be of benefit. Though I'm unsure how great my hunting would be, given my current state."
She agreed with a slightly sheepish titter, turning her muzzle to face forward again as she began to make her way back to the camp with the scarred northerner.
Health (100/100)
Moonglow
Kappa

1,204 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Then we go! He proclaims, and is already making his way. Regardless of how quickly or slowly Nyra moves, Kigipigak keeps tabs on her progress and adjusts to match her. Their travel would no doubt be slow, characterized by frequent stops. But by the time they have returned to camp Kigipigak will be raring to leave her there - eager to hunt for something and be useful, rather than meandering.