Dragoncrest Cliffs The heart is something you can't control.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
All Welcome 
Adjusting the date on this, should be set around the first week of November while he's visiting with the kids. Tags for reference mostly!

With the kids entertained by one of their grandmothers, Reyes and @Teya did not have to worry so much about them. It was good that @Caracal had a chance to learn about his father's side of the family. While that transpired, the pair were left in the company of @Rosalyn.

Uh, so, Reyes started, clearing his throat a little bit to garner his mother's attention (not that it had waned at all during their visit). When I first asked if the kids could visit... I know I said that it'd be Towhee and I, but... Well, we split up.

That much was obvious. Teya was nothing like the dark-coated sovereign of the Caldera pack. 

I live with Teya, in Brecheliant, which is small and quiet, but it is better for me. The kids visit from time to time, it isn't too far from the Caldera and their mother. Reyes was careful with what he shared; he did not want to worry Rosalyn or invite deeper questions, but he also didn't want to hide the truth. He worried mostly that she'd think less of him in knowing the full story.
Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
<33333 !!!!!!!

Rosalyn was glad that Reyes lingered. Perhaps there was not a lot to be said between them, but she was grateful he'd wished to share this with both she and Erzulie. This new woman he brought seemed quiet, but she could see in the way they stood there was trust there. There was a lot that Rosalyn did not recall, Towhee being one of them, but she did not approach her son without hesitant invitation. She at least remembered that.

She did this now, taking a step and gesturing intent, but not closing the gap. As she did, she wondered when he had spoken of this visit. He had come.... yes, recently? It did not feel it had been that long. I'm glad that you found a better match, she said, turning her gaze to rest on Teya gently.

Perhaps some mothers might disapprove of their sons finding such, but Rosalyn could only be grateful. It has been quiet here as well, if you can believe that. I'm glad you were able to bring them. It was surprising to her, that the pair could have seemingly parted so amicably, and seemingly now shared the raising of the children. It seems the lack of a father had not ruined Reyes' prospects at being one worth having - his children were lucky. My grandchildren.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
For a long time Rosalyn was his entire world. When he had finally left her side and fallen in with pirates, he did not think of her except in his most desperate moment, and then he had made a life for himself as an adult, and thoughts of her — and the connection they once strongly upheld — had diminished. It felt odd to be here with her now; but she moved closer, showing her intent and asking silently for permission, and Reyes couldn't imagine a life without her in it.

She was old. He could see it in the quality of her coat. The way her haunches sank. The tired expression on her face. When had that happened? How could he have let it happen? But he couldn't speak these worries aloud. Time marched on — it was best to enjoy these moments while he could. Fortunate, too, that his children would know their grandmother.

I'm glad too, he answered. He watched her. Would she ask about Towhee? The name hadn't brought any recognition to her at all. Maybe their last conversation had not meant much to her. Reyes wondered if telling her the full truth would amount to anything, or if it would be forgotten. Detritus at the end of a long life. No, he wouldn't burden her with such things. Better to keep this light, happy.

Caracal can be a handful. He's got an endless well of energy, I reckon. Maybe meeting the rest of the family will help him chill out — that boy at the borders, he's my little brother? He wondered if it'd be worthwhile to get to know him; maybe he should keep his distance and leave the hangouts for Caracal?
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
As he spoke, Rosalyn seated herself and settled in to listen. His description of his son incited a spark of familiar humor in her. He and many of his siblings had been the same. This year was not entirely different, though she recalled Sobo's somewhat chilled reception with resigned disapproval.

Erzulie had four this year. Two sisters, two brothers. Hopefully you'll meet all of them while you are here, and I don't think that they will all be like that. If Erzulie doesn't talk with him, I will, she thought silently. Even if he had been surprised, there was no reason to treat family like that, even those visiting. Not that his father was much of an example.

Pushing that aside, her expression took on a wily playfulness. Teya seems rather quiet. Makes me wonder what a polite wolf is getting herself into, running with a ruffian like you. It was clear from her smile that she was joking, but she did want to hear more about them.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
They were Erzulie's? That made sense. The boy at the border had looked the most like his maman, rather than red-coated like himself, or his own daughters. It didn't occur to Reyes that he was, technically, the only child Rosalyn would ever bear herself. He liked the idea of getting to know the four youngest in the family if possible, but did not speak up to this.

Rosalyn asked after Teya and that loosened his tongue considerably.

I wouldn't call her polite, he answered before he could stop himself, smiling, holding in laughter. She's different. Not at all what I expected, and certainly not someone I had thought I'd ever fall for, but... I'm glad I did. She makes me happy, and I hope I make her happy too.

Right, enough sappy shit Reyes, man up.

The young man chuffed to himself, clearing his throat and hoping that Rosalyn wouldn't point out how stupid he sounded. Love-bound and all.

She was there after Towhee kicked me out. Gave me a place to live and work, prove I could be a proper member of society -- for the most part. Ain't like I'm totally reformed. As he will prove in a week or so, when he half-crashes a wedding.

I dunno, ma. I thought Towhee was the one, for a long time. She wouldn't even consider takin' my name, and I pushed for it.. Maybe too hard. Things got worse from there. I don't fight with Teya over anything. I'm better with her.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She could see how clearly he lost himself when speaking of her. He was not settling then, or testing the waters even. This was something deeper already.

Though she had no favorites amongst their combined children, Reyes perhaps reminded her most of herself. She'd worried after his safety but also after his happiness. It was easy to allow the world to turn you hard and she'd seen his walls just as she'd held her own. Walls she'd maintained until Erzulie, somehow, had deftly surmounted them.

I'm glad to hear it. Both that he'd found something like this and that he still carried himself within it. Sometimes we all need to be called on our shit. She smiled knowingly, thinking fondly of her own wife.

Even if it is not always easy, the difference is clear. When you do fight, there's no other option. Because neither of you are willing to lose what you have. She and Erzulie had held their own share of arguments but it had never shaken the foundation of their ties. She couldn't imagine anything ever being strong enough to divide them in that way.

I hope it stays the way you say. But you will know, otherwise. And it sounds like there already is a difference. This Towhee did not sound worth the consideration, mother of her grandchildren or no. A woman had no obligation to give up her name, but to hear she was so against even considering her son's wishes set Rosalyn's opinion against her. Sometimes things like these happened for a reason.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Reyes wanted to ask Teya for the ultimate gift, but hadn't yet. They'd talked about other things instead: communal hunts, visits with the children, visits to the coast. They were apparently scheduled to go meet some newly established leaders for a wedding nearby to Brecheliant, which Reyes wasn't really stoked about.

He had been nervous about asking Teya about the future. This trip to the coast was a good first step; but it was clear by this conversation with his mother where Reyes' head was at. He was glad that Rosalyn approved of Teya, even if they had only just met.

I trust her. He remarks softly, in tandem to Rosalyn's own comment about being called on his shit. Teya didn't have a malicious bone in her body. He couldn't imagine finding anyone else after Teya, if things were to go wrong — which inevitably for Reyes, was often the case.

I'm glad you like her. He was a different man these days, or so he believed. She made him so much better.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
It was good to share this and to hear that he appreciated her insight. She thought perhaps Erzulie was the better judge, but had stopped herself before saying it. She just wanted to enjoy this moment as it was. No doubt his maman would have opinions to share later.

As long as she treats you well, I'm bound to like her, Rosalyn responded. Then her smile broadened a bit. And the idea of more grandchildren doesn't hurt. A legacy like that had never been something she'd considered even a whisper of a possibility for her. The word even still tasted odd, but the more she used it, the more accustomed she would get.

We've heard a bit about some trouble inland. You aren't involved in any of that, are you? It was a slight shift, but she'd remembered it thinking of children and, inevitably, Njord's news. As far as she could remember, none of the packs he had mentioned struck familiarly. But if asked, she could recall few of the details. It hadn't really pertained to them at the time.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Trouble inland? Reyes shakes his head.

We're pretty far removed from any trouble, so far as I can say. The fen keeps to itself. But it did bring to mind all the issues he'd had with the Redhawks, and Towhee, and his splintering family. His face became more stern while he sorted through these things.

Teya keeps me out of trouble, he answers with a tight smirk. Well, she.. tries. I don't know anything that's going on outside of the fen.

A moment later, What sort of trouble?
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Something about war, brewing. If you don't know, even better. It means it likely isn't near. She was happy to hear it, and it helped to ease the worry entirely. He was their only child she was aware of who had left the coastline behind. She had no sympathy for packs outside of his own.

A little trouble never hurt. She said with a knowing look, but it was warm. She liked knowing that he was happy, that he had another to watch his back the way she and Erzulie always had one another's.

How do you like being a father? He seemed to love them, but that was a different question. Once they were born, there wasn't much choice, but would he choose to have more?
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
His mothers question made his brain stop. He didn't know what to say and let's blame that on why this reply is like a year late.

I don't have a good answer for you, Reyes was honest about it from the get-go, searching for the right words.

I love being their dad. I was there from the start, feeding them and protecting them, doing all that he could for them when they were small. I was determined to be there in a way my father wasn't. To break that cycle before it could perpetuate. Reyes had been afraid. Thinking that the way his father had abandoned the family after getting what he wanted from his mother was - somehow - the norm.

Now that they're older, I feel less involved. Not that it was his decision. After Towhee and I split, she made sure I didn't get to see them often. We aren't as close as I'd like, and there's no way to fix it. But with Teya I can at least find some happiness.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
let's just keep this thread goin 5ever okay? XD I love Reyes so much

That means you are probably doing things right. Rosalyn replied with a small smirk, but her expression held a genuine warmth thinking of him as a father, of the grandchildren he'd shown. If he'd responded too quickly that he did, she'd have doubted his sincerity. Children were a lot of work, a lot of stress, a lot of pain, and entirely worth it.

She didn't like to hear that he was kept from him, however. About this Towhee. There's nothing that can keep you from your children, not even their mother. Not if you want to be in their lives. The only thing that's ever separated you and your siblings from your mother and I was your own choices. She gave a soft laugh. Sometimes they don't seem to need you. And then, sometimes, they come back. All you can do is be there when they do.

Though she knew something had happened, something that kept him, she also knew that it had been his choice to leave. And in her look, it was clear that it didn't matter. He could leave a thousand times and it would not change that he was her son - and her first, something entirely his own that no other would have. She saw none of his father in him and entirely too much of herself.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
While his children were small, they were locked in to the whims of their parents - or in this case singular parent; but as they aged they'd discover autonomy the way Reyes had. Rosalyn was right - it all depended on their own choices. Reyes gave a slow nod as he took in this advice.

I want to be there for them whenever they need me. Like you've been for me. It was a compliment, sort of. Reyes knew he was a bit of a wayward soul; he came and went from this place as if he didn't care at all, when the opposite was true.

He cared too much. I know I haven't always been the best son. The most available, or open. It's... hard, for me. Why admit this now? It felt like an excuse made too late, an apology hidden in the undertow. I sometimes wonder if Towhee is right to keep them away. Maybe I'll... infect them or something. Screw them up.

Reyes huffs and shakes the fur along his shoulders as if that would ease the tension built up there, given the chick-flick moment that had just transpired, and coughed an awkward laugh. Fuck, mum. Are kids supposed to make you question everything?
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
<3 I've been so bad about these older threads!

Rosalyn listened as he opened up, not a lot, but more than he had in memory. It hurt to hear but it also was not something she was unaware of. And in the same ways that it hurt, it also helped. She did not like to hear that he struggled, but she was glad to hear that it was nothing she and Erzulie had done to lose his trust. She had worried for so many years that it was their own failures, driving each child away.

No. Her voice was resolved and insistent as she disagreed, hot with ire towards the woman who sought to cut her son from the equation. She shook her head, and her tone gentled some. Children know when they are loved. Everyone makes mistakes. Im sure you remember a number of mine. She caught his gaze fondly. But I don't think you could say I ruined you. It's more important that you try. The best way to ruin a child was to abandon them.

Only the best parents question everything. If you think you are doing it right, you're wrong. She laughed, but it was touched with an edge of something. She paused, glancing down a moment, then deciding to say it. She wasn't sure she would have another chance.

I'm sorry too, if we weren't there. I know that things were different, when you came back. If it was our fault you left, I'm sorry for that too. But I'm proud of who you are now. You deserve better, and I'm glad that you seem to have found happiness. She knew by this point that what was done was done and regrets served no one. Still, occasionally, the little boy he'd been still flitted through her thoughts... and as little as she regretted how he'd grown, she hoped she could hold onto both.