Qeya River pride
534 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Joining 

the river was cold. in its frigidity was the source of its power, the loner found. he followed its stony borders for a long while. before him leapt hinds. lestan mayfair heard the splash of fish in the water and knew it to be a good sound.
he shivered. the land was rich despite his cold body. 
and wolves lived here. lestan stopped to investigate with cautious sniffing. the heavy scent of a family man was here. but there was a wife also, and he found hers to be more dominant.
children. and perhaps others, though he had ceased his search by now.
the man tilted back his fine head and called softly for an audience. his summer fur was bunched, the thinness doing nothing to protect him as he waited. and shivered.
[Image: whRAcOB.gif]
Brecheliant
Family
-Not all who wander, are lost.-
695 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
she can ghost when leaders come

Amalia heard the howl for her leaders, but she reversed her patrol. Loped towards the sound. Not overtly dominant, but this would be aware she was a resident here.

Reds and golds met her gaze. She offered a low dip of her muzzle. Green eyes took him in.

Hello stranger. You've found the border of Natigvik.
534 Posts
Ooc — ebony
<3

a wind rose from the long land behind lestan; it scudded over his shoulders like the rake of winterbreath. he shivered and shut his eyes.
when he opened them, a slender black wolf was approaching. she was taller than he, and built for hunting the little animals and birds which certainly had made a home of this river. 
her eyes were the shade of springtime. 
"latha mah," he said quietly, bracing his shoulders. "ah, i mean! hello. i am lestan, of the mayfairs." he flicked his ears. "do you live here?"
Brecheliant
Family
695 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
He shivered and she felt bad. It was cold here. She quickly got used to it here, but at first it had been cold.

Hello Lestan. I'm Amalia.

She met his gaze. You have wildflower eyes.

She offered a smile hoping to ease some discomfort. He had approached polìtely. Thus she would be kind.

Yes. The leaders are Sakhmet and Kigipigak.
Moonglow
Kappa

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,209 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
He was on patrol when he caught a scent and drew towards two waiting bodies, in time to hear his name shared.

Kigipigak thought for a moment that Cerne had rethought his impulsive decision and returned to them; but this was someone else, he realized after.

It took some time for Kigipigak to reach them. One was Amalia; ever vigilant, loyal, precious Amalia. He nudged her softly as he approached and then turned his attention to the man.

Saying nothing, studying him.
534 Posts
Ooc — ebony
kigipigak. sakhmet. "i am afraid i will not be able to say those well without practice," lestan said softly. his cheeks heated at her unexpected complimenting of him. "i thought that yours looked like a day in june." 
amalia. his heart beat faster and then faster still at the appearance of a great and scarred white wolf. lestan found himself measured and weighed by the look. "hello, i am — lestan mayfair. are you — maybe you are looking for new bodies?" he asked with a moment's impulsive desperation.
he tried not to shiver again or let his gaze move toward amalia. wildflower eyes, she had called them.
Brecheliant
Family
695 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Amalia can be skipped :)

Amalia was about to thank him when she was approached by Kigipigak. She returned the nudge a small smile for both her leader and Lestan. Then she grew quiet at the newcomers words.

She would wait a few moments more if she was needed and then take her leave.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,209 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Kigipigak could extend an olive branch if he chose - he was Sangilak - but the ultimate decision was for his wife.

What skills do you bring with you? He wondered aloud. Clearly he could survive alone, as the man was in good health, and young but not too young. He even seemed a little nervous.

Kigipigak would listen for any answer given and the go on to explain: Our village is meant as a safe place for the children of my wife and I, so if you are seeking a place to lay down roots yourself, this would not be it. Best to get that out of the way.

Had that been why Cerne had turned on them? He had known the laws of their village and refused them. Kigipigak did not want the same to happen here.
534 Posts
Ooc — ebony
roots? oh. oh. "no, sir. i have no one to — put down roots for." his accent thickened a little here, but lestan swung his tail in a friendly manner. "i am good for long distances. i am a fair hunter. but i must admit, i am not familiar with such temperatures. or the animals that live here."
"but i will learn," he hurried on with a smile. "i am a historian. well, aspiring," he blabbered on, at last cutting himself off.
Brecheliant
Family
695 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Amalia listened closely. He seemed a good fit, but she knew that it was down to Kigipigak an then Sakhmet had the ultimate decision in the end. This was a matriarchal society and they must listen to their femme leader. Kigipigak, had his own say. Of course, but the final was hers, and hers alone.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,209 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
He had promised his wife hunters, and was glad that one had found their way to them. It intrigued Kigipigak to hear of other interests though - this man called himself a historian; Kigipigak wondered what sort of things he had witnessed, or what tales he might hold.

We have need of hunters, so on that basis alone I welcome you.

Amalia— Kigipigak glanced to the shadow who waited. —will show you where we make our camps, and where our best fishing can be done. She will also show you the limits to the village.

He gave the man one last scrutinizing glance, but then let his usual smile break the seriousness of his expression. I would like to know some of your stories, historian; but it is better that you learn the land, and perhaps focus on impressing my wife, as she has the final say.

With that, he left them to their own devices. Over the next few days Kigipigak would keep tabs on Lestan's progress; if at any point he was unhappy about it, he would be sure to chase the man out.
534 Posts
Ooc — ebony
so he was here on a trial basis. and the strong, scarred man in front of him did not have final say; his wife did. this intrigued and frightened lestan. he dipped his head low. "i will be as charming as i can." while continuing to hunt, of course.
the smile that came was unexpected and provoked a similar one from lestan. this time he did look toward amalia with a gentle flicker of his tailtip. 
"i will be happy to talk about anything you want to hear." kigipigak's ears might well fall off!
the man moved away. the young wolf exhaled. "he's kinder than he looks. what a fearsome man," he commented in a furor of admiration.
Brecheliant
Family
695 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
She chuckled. Kigipigak is a good man. And if you treat him well. He will move mountains for you if he can.

She waved her tail and motioned the other to follow her. I know some of the best fishing spots. I think you'll like it here.
534 Posts
Ooc — ebony
fading! <3

"i think i will too," lestan enthused.
he would spend a good deal of time with amalia, and after they had made the grand discovery of their relation, he would be found by sakhmet.
it would be an eventful day indeed.