Redsand Canyon prolix
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
All Welcome 
he called to the boy who had joined them. icarus (@Atreus) had fit into the daily climes of mereo.

but germanicus now saw fit to shape the young wolf as he had his own son.

he brought them both to the sparring arena. by now icarus would be familiar, but this would be a session with the imperator. he wanted to see the other's strengths.

"what is one thing you have learned thus far about sparring?"
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Mereo fit Atreus like a glove. The hustle was rough at first, though it left him no time to think or feel. He didn’t even dream at night, he was so exhausted. Once he adapted to the schedule, it all suited him just fine.

When Germanicus summoned him, he reported to the sparring pit right away. The Imperator wasn’t alone, though Atreus kept his attention trained on the master tactician. He regarded the man in a way he’d never respected his own father.

Like Aventus had always liked to do, the Imperator threw out a question, to which Atreus could only offer a painfully honest reply, That I’m not very good at it… yet. I’ll keep practicing though.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
it was an honest reply.

germanicus approved.

"there are three paths in mereo. one of warriorship, to be on the front lines of a battle. the second is guardianship, to be a sentry in times of peace and of war. and the third is my own: to understand a military or political manuever before it is made. to anticipate."

"if you have not yet chosen, take more time." germanicus widened his stance but did not yet begin the spar.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Atreus did not know which one appealed to him, nor which one might play to his strengths. He wasn’t particularly wise, yet he knew there was a difference. His lips parted, unsure how to reply, when Germanicus assured him he didn’t have to pick one right this instant.

What about scouts? he found himself wondering aloud, eyes tracking the leader’s movements and mirroring them by rote even as he continued, Is there any path for them?
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"i am a ranger by secondary trade. scoutship is integral to mereo. it allows you to map terrain for a potential conflict."

he eyed icarus. did the boy have such interest?

and unwittingly, bitterly, he was reminded of crowfeather.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Germanicus was himself a scout. Atreus huffed a breath as the Imperator’s eyes weighed on him. He waited to see if the man would say anything else, yet he didn’t. Nor did he move to begin the spar.

He felt like he ought to say something, so Atreus ejaculated rather stupidly, I like being a scout. He blinked, thinking of Amalia, who was also a scout, and more specifically the map she had once drawn in the dirt. I want to do that. Be a ranger, I mean. Can I do that instead, or…
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
he nodded. "you may to this in addition to a warrior's training." a ranger that was not so homebound would be of interest to mereo. "it would require you to go far afield and gather information on locales that we have not yet seen."

he paused.

"it is also the role of a ranger to choose a battlefield, should things come to it."

mereo was changing, shrinking to its military roles. the presence of fennec alongside him as a soldier bolstered that.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
He couldn’t do it instead of mercenary training, just in addition to it. His lips pressed together thoughtfully and he nodded when Germanicus further explained the merits of a ranger.

Sounds good, Atreus said, aware that he hadn’t actually answered the Imperator’s main question. Could you choose for me, like you did with my name? Which path you think I’d be good at? he wondered.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
icarus wanted to be led.

germanicus was not against these things, but he wondered at why the boy did not choose himself.

"ranger with an emphasis upon tracking," he decided. "learn to follow a deer as well as a wolf, and through any terrain."

he paused. "you traveled through the mountains here. how did you do it without slipping or falling prey to a wolverine?"
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
The Imperator gave him yet another assignment and he nodded his acceptance. He could not have said why he accepted orders from a stranger much more easily than he’d ever obeyed his own father. There was no pretense of love or even caring when it came to Germanicus, though. Atreus respected him, though there was no deeper connection there. He did owe the man too.

Germanicus’s question was so oddly specific that Atreus’s face contorted. He really couldn’t say. Well, Atreus supposed he could offer some reasons why he hadn’t slipped—he had, just never particularly terribly—but he had no idea how to answer the question about a wolverine.

I don’t know. I mean, does that happen often? Getting attacked by wolverines? Atreus replied with his usual flat candor. What even is a wolverine? he thought to tack on before answering the first part of the question. I was born on a sort of mountain, so I’m used to traveling on high ground.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"a sharp-clawed and ill-tempered creature. musky. striped. can deter bears."

his voice was dry with humour. he noted the young wolf's expressions.

"good then. i want you to attack me. i will guide."

he widened his stance and nodded for icarus to begin.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
He had become so swept up in the conversation, he had forgotten why Germanicus had originally called him here. Oh, right, his face said as he quickly assumed a battle stance.

He took a moment to reflect on what he’d learned about sparring so far, his forepaws braced in the clay of the pit. It was packed down hard by many paws over the course of many fights, he imagined.

Slower than was probably desired, he decided on a tactic. Sometimes feints were the way to go, though Atreus wasn’t as clever or as swift as he would like to be to pull those off. Instead, he opted for the plainest method of attack: head-on.

Moving as quickly as he could, he dropped his forelimbs slightly and then sprang, jaws snapping right at Germanicus’s muzzle.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
the boy launched himself through the red sand and toward the imperator.

the man braced himself. he let the teethtips touch and then slammed his shoulder toward the young soldier's chest.

he planted his feet to take the impact and hoped this would be a swift lesson. but his yellow eyes were lit with pleasure.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
The Imperator didn’t try to dodge him, so Atreus landed his hit. His fangs had just barely grazed the man’s muzzle before Germanicus shoved his shoulder forward with force, striking the youth square in the chest. It immediately knocked the wind out of Atreus, forcing him to fall back.

Told, he gasped between struggling breaths, you.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"none of us are good at defending until it is taught."

germanicus remained impassive and yet kind.

"catch your breath. try again, more slowly. keep your shoulder turned to guard your chest, and chin down to do the same for your throat."

he stanced himself and nodded. "when you are ready."
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
I made a mild assumption here, which I’m happy to tweak if you prefer! :)

Yeah, he acknowledged on an exhale.

Germanicus dispensed some advice, which Atreus carefully contemplated. He found himself doing what he was told before he even consciously moved his muscles. He wasn’t quite sure he was doing it right—the bit about guarding his chest with his shoulder confused him a bit—but it felt right, tucking his chin to block his jugular from his rival’s teeth.

The Imperator braced himself, meanwhile, and when Atreus felt ready, he sprang forward again. In his effort to keep his muzzle angled to protect his throat, he ended up smashing his head against what felt like a solid rock wall, but was really only some part or another of his leader.

With a grunt, Atreus backpedaled. Pain bloomed in his head from the impact. Idiot, he thought to himself, feeling foolish. He gritted his teeth, not sure which was worse: the blow to his head or the blow to his dignity.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
it's great! <3

the boy struck him.

as icarus recoiled, germanicus felt the bruising of his shoulder already begin. "good."

"try again. swing your hip against mine to make first contact, rather than your shoulder."

he nodded. they would break after this, for he saw how much it took from the young soldier.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
He hated to admit it but Atreus gritted out, I need a minute.

It felt like his brain was throbbing, suddenly too small for his skull. Perhaps the medicus might have something to relieve the pain. He would consult with her when they were finished here.

Driven a little by frustration with himself, Atreus suddenly and haphazardly threw himself at the Imperator. He swung his hip as instructed, with force so careless it bordered on self-destructive.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
he waited and when icarus struck again, he saw a fierce unhinged nature to it.

their hips collided. he allowed the blow to drive him back. his nostrils flared and he shoved now, not striking nor biting, only letting the conflict of their bodies define the moment.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
The impact hurt, though Atreus didn’t even notice at first. He had managed to shove the Imperator backward a few steps, which gave him an immense sense of satisfaction. He began to smile, then the pain hit him and he grimaced instead.

His energy and fury drained from him and he panted, Okay, I need to tap out.

It rankled a bit, yet Atreus thought back on his maneuvers and felt a slight satisfaction in his performance. Was he an excellent fighter? No. Was there a lot of room to improve? Yes. Would he keep trying and get better over time? Abso-fuckin’-lutely.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus halted at once. "at ease," he said.

he was proud of icarus.

"go to lady alstromeria," he instructed, in aquene's absence. he would watch until the boy had gone and then set off to the oasis for a short time.