Swiftcurrent Creek i'm gnashing my teeth like a child of cain
Riverclan
Star*
always an angel, never a god
383 Posts
Ooc — Twin
Private 
Consciousness for extended periods of time became more frequent as the hours passed and the pain began to dull to an ache. But it was everywhere, still, and try as she might, any attempt at leaving her den left her wrought with fatigue and muscles that felt as if they threatened to burst.
She hated it.
She had no more tears left to cry. No more energy to worry, to panic, to self-destruct — she was merely a husk with sunken eyes and open, raw wounds, jagged-edged; the remnants of a grenade and left only with the debris of who she was before the incident in the marsh.
She knew not where she and Silvertongue stood. Thoughts of Mae and the newborn still flicker in and out of her mind; Eshe and Arric, who, if she remembered, had taken care of them. They were safe. But she still hadn't spoken to @Akavir.
Did he know about any of this? Did he hate her for sticking her nose in this, for getting herself almost killed? For almost killing someone else? Would he—
She sits at the lip of the den with her chin upon her forepaws. She stares out at the moon-dipped treeline just as she had the night before and lets the current sweep her to blissful nothingness.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Alpha*
883 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Arric was taking the newborn to Kvarsheim with Mae—why, he did not know. Bellatrix was still nursing, was she not? She had only birthed weeks before?

But logic held no room right now—autopilot had been turned on, and after Akavir had confirmed Moss’s death for himself, he had returned, next tracing his way to Wren.

The descent of horror upon the creek was far more grim then prior, and steeling himself, the shadowrunner could scent the blood before he could see her—and when he did—when he caught the trace the blood and mess—his breath all but stopped. “Wren,” he spoke, the words a whisper on the wind as if he might choke on them while moving closer, a silhouette in the moonlight.
Riverclan
Star*
383 Posts
Ooc — Twin
Had she not heard him, she likely would not have registered the shadow that descended upon her den. She blinks, once, twice; bleary eyes searching for the source, until she lands upon Akavir.
She wished she could be happy to see him.
Hey, she chokes out, a dry cough coming from her throat. Did... did anyone-- tell you?
Based on the look he carried in those pale gold eyes, the chances were that her question had an answer. She shuffles, stiffly tucking her legs closer to her torso with a hiss and a low whine; an invitation to come in, should he take it. She hated this, hated being so weak and unable to do much of anything, hated—
Well.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Alpha*
883 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
A low whine emits from her—his ears slide back tightly to his skull and two large strides brings him to her, his muzzle dipping down, his nose trailing her cheek as he nuzzles her, breathing her in. She would be okay—she had to be okay.

“Eshe gave me a… run down,” he hesitates—Eshe, wracked with sobs, had tried to tell him what had happened. “I had to see for myself… I found Moss in the swamp.”

Gone. Moss was gone.

“Do you need anything for the pain?” He settles outside the den—disliking his back to the world, but not willing to crowd Wren too much. He begins to groom the crown of her head, should she let him. Trying to clean away some of the blood.

“What happened?”

Who am I hunting down for this?
Riverclan
Star*
383 Posts
Ooc — Twin
He touches her. He touches her, and for a moment she feels a bit like she's at her own funeral. But she lets him. She didn't have the energy to tell him otherwise if she wanted to.
A small, tiny part of her wanted to curl her lips into a growl, to tell him to leave; a stinging memory of the last real conversation they had before all of this, the fact that he hadn't been there
But she doesn't. She still needed him.
Moss. He'd seen her. Wren looks to him with glass eyes. We were too late.
She hadn't known her, not really, not at all. But Moss had been gamma before her; Moss was someone the Creek looked to with respect, even in the final months of her life when she hadn't been well. For a second, Wren wondered if this was a long time coming and they'd all turned a blind eye.
But there was no use for what-ifs, were there?
He asks if she needs something for the pain, and she quietly shakes her head no. It's... bearable, she tries to smile, tries to imply that she can handle it, that she is far from weak, and yet it falls short; her smile wavers and her eyes drop down to her paws, still flecked with dried mud.

What happened?

She swallows, dryly.
Friday morning, I heard a distress call that came from the... the marsh. I think it was Eshe. I found her and Mae there with, with Moss and these-- these two strangers. A man and a woman. I don't know either of 'em, never seen 'em before. They were playing fuckin' hot potato with Moss's baby. a shudder; she clears her throat. Mae, Mae got ahold of the baby and she-- she tried to escape, with it, and then the fuckin' dude lunged at her. At Mae. So I... I told Eshe to, to protect her, get her home, and to get someone to put the Creek on lockdown, and I... snapped at him. The guy. To try and fend him off. He just-- he tore into me. Nothing I did made him back off. I tried to tell him who we were, who-- who that baby belonged to, but I don't know if he even heard me. Or cared. shame ripples through every word that falls from her mouth. At some point, he gave up and limped away, and... god, we almost killed each other. I thought I woulda had to, he just-- he just didn't stop, at some point, she'd absentmindedly sought to hold his paw; a shaken, loose grip upon his wrist. and I hate myself for it. I-I don't know who or where he is or if he's still alive, or if he knew that other-- the woman. I don't know. I'm so sorry.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Alpha*
883 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Moss’s health had ailed her for months now—in retrospect, what Akavir had considered as her healing and resting had likely been her simply enduring as she faded further from them.

It was frustrating—it was heart wrenching. Moss was as much of the creek as he and Arric were—a solid presence from almost the first day. A friend from back in the day, during some of the roughest months in his life…

A protector, above all else. The idea that someone had tried to take her kid from the safety of the wolves who had loved her was downright appalling.

Had he known Wren’s thoughts, he would have stopped his ministrations. But she spoke softly—more information divulged to him than Eshe’s frantic words. A man and a woman—he had been to the swamp. The blood and muck had made scents almost indecipherable for him to truly track—but he would try.

Because this was an eye for an eye.

“Without you, it sounds like both Mae and Moss’s baby would be stolen, Wren,” he murmurs as she belittles herself once more. He pulls back from her now, eyes searching her. Her battered frame—still, only a scratch on the outside of her compared to the wounds her past had inflicted within her. “I’m going to Kvarsheim to bring back Mae and the pup. Do you want me to send word for Silvertongue to be here with you?”

The irony of it. Sending word to the woman he had loved—still loved?—to tenderly care for another.
Riverclan
Star*
383 Posts
Ooc — Twin
He praises her. He's praising her?
I did what I could, she murmurs, a hint of soft warmth to her haggard eyes; I tried-- I tried so hard, to protect her and Mae, and the baby. through the cracks and quivers of her voice, her tone remains humble. She did not feel like a protector, nor a warrior. I-I think we should have a proper memorial for Moss. I didn't know her, so I don't-- I don't wanna impose myself where I don't belong. But I know how important she was to you. And the Creek.
Kvarsheim. So that's where they were. I'll go with you, her tongue passes over her lower lip. I can't fuckin' stand being bedbound, man, I feel... useless. And I want-- I wanna help. You and Arric have so much on your shoulders, she pleads, prying at him with a gaze that glitters with a fire; dimmed, but not yet stomped out. If she was to virtually be Moss's successor, she needed to go. She needed to be better. She thinks of her conversation with Arric, of her ambassadorship and the potential of becoming beta alongside him. But how was she to do any of that if all she did was sit and wait to heal? please.
Silvertongue. Her stomach twists. I'll... I'll visit her soon. Go to Riverclan for a little once I know the Creek is stable. I don't want to-- to burden her. With this. She doesn't need that. And I can't bring myself to leave right now. Swiftcurrent needed her, right?
Swiftcurrent Creek
Alpha*
883 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
“Moss saved my life once, long ago,” he murmurs, pausing in his ministrations as he thinks of her. Moss and her sister—also, now gone. Joined together, in whatever it was the afterlife held for them all, maybe.

A slow exhale began as Wren pleaded she go with him—his gaze soft upon her, yet a certain stern countenance on his features. “You need to rest, Wren… You’re so bruised up you can barely move without a groan,” he responded. “I also need to move fast—I want to get the pup back to Bellatrix as quickly as possible… her own pup is beginning to wean and we can’t have her milk dry up. Not yet.”

Once more, Eshe’s plea to produce milk for the orphan came to the forefront of his mind—and he said nothing of this. In time, there would be a discussion on what could be.

“When I get back, we’ll have a memorial. It’s a good idea… Offer some closure…”

He allows the topic of Silvertongue to dwindle. The Sharpfang was more than comfortable enough to stay here, he was sure, but he would not press it. It wasn’t his business.

"And then I'm going to up patrol on the valley until I find the two clowns that attacked you."
Riverclan
Star*
383 Posts
Ooc — Twin
Moss saved his life, once. A twisting feeling erupts within her chest; he wouldn't let her go to Kvarsheim, and there was no use in arguing. Akavir, one paw reaches outward, hoping to reach his shoulder or his cheek. at least let me do something. Give yourself-- let yourself grieve, if you need to. You and Arric are not on your own, you have me.
He was right. She could barely move without a groan and she hated it. Moss was dead. Arric was growing weary; irritable. Eshe overworked herself, threw herself at every possible problem, and she could not possibly do everything herself.
The Creek, if you asked Wren, was in shambles. And there was so little she could do about it.
When I'm better, she hesitates, even if only briefly; I wanna be good for something. I talked to Arric about, like, becoming an ambassador. For Swiftcurrent. Maybe taking up a beta position alongside him one day. she swallows again, sucking in a shallow, faltering breath. I know I'm-- I'm not much. But you have no idea how much this pack means to me. How much-- how much you mean to me. and she meant it, even as her voice grew hoarse with strain and her eyes grew tired the more she kept them open. But she didn't push it.
He talks of the memorial, and the side of her face presses against the wall of her den as she listens to the warm baritone of his voice. At the comment about the patrols, a puff of dry air comes from her nostrils. You'd do that for me? she supposed it wasn't just her; Mae, the orphan; but he said her. Her eyelashes bat in an attempt at sardonic playfulness, a smile flashing. Wow, would yah look at that. My knight in shining armor.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Alpha*
883 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
He was brought back from his thoughts when a paw touched him—eyes blinking as he looked to her outstretched limb, a wane smile pressing to his lips. “I’ll grieve when I have time,” he offered, rolling his shoulders back and then pulling away from his embrace of her—his back remaining to the world, partially within the Gamma’s den.

Wren spoke of her desire to be ambassador to the pack—another Beta. Within, he winced—the position he had always considered would be for Moss one day, when the time had come… but the ever-silent guardian had gotten sick and never fully recovered… And now…

“You’ve proven your worth for it,” he offered, eyes placed upon her, studying her. “Now you just need to concentrate on healing so you can take on that mantle, yeah?”

Because unspoken—she meant a great deal to him as well. And even after her brief interlude with Colt, the Mayfair had come to trust her above many others.

As if seeking to lighten the mood, she crooned a tease at him, drawing a derisive snort from the man. “Of course I would.”
Riverclan
Star*
383 Posts
Ooc — Twin
She's proven her worth in his eyes. What a blessing to have such words fall upon her ears, words that convince her, just for a moment, that she had been wrong about herself. She thought to take such a statement and hold it close to her chest as if she may lose it.
You make it sound so easy, she quips, gravel laced deeply and sitting low in her throat. but I'm tryin' here.
And deep down, Akavir had carved his own niche within her. A piece of her reserved for him and him alone, a home he'd dug with is bare hands and now laid in. Something that only existed between them and something she'd never speak aloud to anyone.
He rolls with her punch and looks to her with a gaze that melts her core. Her stomach twists with a feeling she herself could not put a finger on. Of course he would. You're a good guy, Akavir, a low purr as her eyes dart across the den walls; anywhere, anywhere but him. I'm lucky to have you.
He pulls back from her touch and she does not seek to replace it. Instead, she eases fully onto her side, tucking her legs close to her chest with a series of hisses and grumbles. There were very few ways to get comfortable while reeling with pain.
Just in case, her eyes flutter closed as the skin of her nose scrunches; a wince, as she tries to contort her limbs in a way that won't send fire shooting up into her spine. the woman was a... uh... god, maybe a coyote? That's what she looked like. She didn't attack anybody as far as I know, but I think she was an accomplice of that dude's. or maybe not. She didn't know. A-and the guy. The one who did this. He was this... like, he looked like he rolled in a dust bath. Dark browns and greys and blacks. About-- about my age, I think. a swallow, as her tongue runs over her lips in a desperate attempt at moistening them. I'd know 'em.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Alpha*
883 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
“You don’t have to preen me to get your tiara, Wren,” he teased, trying to make lighter of the situation than what it felt—because truly—was he a good guy?

He could have argued all day against that one, but it wasn’t the time or place.

She offered a description and he took the mental notes, the clench of his teeth and the shift of his weight the final reveal of the tension he held—the way he wished to make the attackers pay with a law he felt only justified—tooth and claw.

“We’ll be on watch for them, Wren. You can trust that.” And if she didn’t hear the bitter promise in his words, he would be surprised—radiating from him like a volcano about to implode.

The Creek had taken too many hits—retribution belonged to them. His eyes fell rapt upon the glean of her tongue to her lips--transfixed before looking back to her gaze. "Want any water before I go?"
Riverclan
Star*
383 Posts
Ooc — Twin
last from me! i love these two, always a joy <333

I'm not preening, smartass, her face scrunches as her expression contorts into something like a dimly lit smile. you just doubt yourself.
Maybe she should take a page from her own book.
He promises to find them and Wren cannot help but feel an itch of dread beneath her skin. What would they do if they were discovered? What would she say if she saw their faces again? How would she be able to contain the bitter red fury that surged at the very thought—
No, I think I'm okay, but thanks. she lets out a chuff as her tail bristles and flicks, covering now her heels.
And she saw it. She saw it when that flicker of cadmium rested upon her lips. Decidedly, now, she wanted nothing more than to go back to sleep; to pretend as if she wasn't boiling hot and frigid, to pretend as if she didn't ache in body and mind.
Try not to worry too much about me, eh, ragazzone? You've got enough on your plate. I'll live. and she would; she would.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Alpha*
883 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
‘I’ll live,' she huffed back at him, and he felt the twitch of a true smile try to pull at the corner of his lips, a surge of something flooding him—gratitude, he surmised. “Music to my ears,” he rumbled in return. Of course, for all he knew, she had called him ‘dumb shit’ in there somewhere—but he wouldn’t have it any other way.

With one last scan over her, Akavir realized his hovering was bordering on awkward, and so with a dip of his muzzle in quiet goodbye, the man began to pace away, intent on continuing the check list of things to do—he would need to go to Kvarsheim, first.