Moonglow
Eta
writing letters addressed to the fire
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
All Welcome 
Although Ariadne hadn't explored much of the territory on her own, she knew that the others had. They'd report to her daily as they discovered more, leaving her to map the region mentally and piece their retelling together. Soon, she hoped, she would be out with them and experiencing it for herself.

She wanted to rush the process, branch out, and do a more thorough search—broken leg be damned—and that’s exactly what she did one sunny morning.

It was much colder today than it had been, so she wrapped herself in a caribou shawl, her fashion choice inspired by @Tulugak. Once dressed and rearing to go, she left her temporary den and started towards the glacier's base.

attn: @Kilgitsuk!
Moonglow
Kappa

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Kilgitsuk made good time in his travels. He was almost constantly on the move even after his encounter with Chakliux, invested in covering as much distance as he could while watching for herds and other boons upon the land. His goals remained the same: fulfill work for others in exchange for meals, a place to sleep, good company or any news he could carry. It was no longer as lonely either; here in the Wilds that he knew so well, Kilgitsuk was at peace, in his own way.

As he went on his way today, he found himself hiking the lower extremities of the mountains where there was more ice than to be expected, given it was autumn and it was not the far north. Kilgitsuk paused upon a vantage point and peered in the direction of Moonglow; he had not yet ventured there for any reunion with Kukutux, Sakhmet, or his son. Knowing this, there was a steely look upon his face. A chilling wind tousled the fur of his nape, as he turns away from it and continues to stride.

It was during this steady climb of the glacier that he caught the sound of a struggling animal. Their gait was off; his attention was drawn because of it, and he picked up his pace. Before long though, Kilgitsuk saw a person rather than prey and his prowl became less predatory, more relaxed. She wore a prepared caribou skin; even from afar he could see Aiolos' aureate reds in balance against Kukutux' swan whites.

She was heading down, he was heading up, and in another moment they would lock eyes. He hid what pain the memory of Moonglow brought him with a broad smile, nodding to her from afar.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Eventually, she crossed paths with another. They met halfway, heading in opposite directions, and Ariadne met Kilgitsuk's gaze with a smile as she paused, hoping he'd be willing to stop and talk. She knew of him but didn't know him personally; he was a trader and traveler, and she figured he must have many exciting stories to share.

This woman greets you, she said through a labored breath. This man's name is Kilgitsuk, yes?
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
She knows him! At least by name. That made sense, given that she was the daughter of Kukutux and meant to be village mother here. Again he gives a nod. Not known for being the strong and silent type, his voice booms forth: It is, yes. I was brought here by Chakliux. I am a trader; if you have need of me to hunt for you, or rid the land of pests, or even to send a message, I am at your disposal.

He is smiling, pleased to be recognized.

And you, red woman — are Ariadne, daughter of Kukutux and Aiolos. I know them also.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She also liked being recognized. I am, she confirmed. How long have you known them?

Kilgitsuk offered himself and his services, and Ariadne was grateful. I will take you up on that, she promised, already considering how she could take advantage of what he had to offer. It would be great if you could help the men in exploring the territory and reporting back to me your findings, she decided.

And if your paws grow restless, let me know. I am happy to have you go to the other villages to get a report on how they’re doing. Ariadne would do this herself if it weren’t for her broken leg; she couldn’t wait until she healed.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
A very long time, he answered. At that moment he let out a small laugh, realizing it made him sound older than he was. I met Kukutux when I was still a young man. She became like a sister to me. Closer to a mother at points, but he did not feel like that would add to the conversation at all; he thought also of his wife and how Kukutux had helped them in equal measure, before they were together and after, but wasn't sure if it was worth mentioning that part of his life — so much had changed since then.

The woman went on to say what work he could do, or help with. Kilgitsuk nodded as she went along, speaking of the land and of exploration. These were things anyone could do, and he was happy to help. Alright. I can work on getting the lay of the land here. Once that is done, I would happily take messages to the other villages if that pleases you? He noticed the way Ariadne held herself, and how she favored one side over the other as she walked with her slowed gait, but did not mention anything about her injury.

You have chosen a fine place for your village.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
I figured it has been a long time, Ariadne said, as she vaugley rememberd a time when he and his family had returned to Moonglow. She'd been young, and the details were fuzzy, but the memory remained. There was a time that you returned to Moonglow with others—I cannot recall their faces like I can yours, she admitted.

He laid out a plan, and she nodded in agreement. It does, she answered. Have you been to Moontide and Moonspear before? If not, I can tell you the way, she offered, unsure of his familiarity with the other villages.

She smiled then and turned to regard the territory with a sweeping glance. I have Sedna and Chakliux to thank—they are the ones who have led me here. I just hope we can settle before the cold season begins.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
I am sure that I can find my way, but thank you. He nods his head and quietly begins to walk with her, walking and talking, with no real direction in mind except where Ariadne might be heading.

He stopped a moment when she mentioned the name Sedna; it had been years since he had heard his mother's name spoken, even knowing that was not who Ariadne meant when she said it, and he hesitates.

Chakliux seems capable. Do you know much about him? The other man was well suited to the hunt, and the snow, and reminded Kilgitsuk of the men he used to live with upon the ice - the warriors and hunters of Tartok, his brothers.

Somehow this work of helping with this village, and lending himself to any of the moon villages, always dredged up thoughts of the past.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
What did Ariadne know about Chakliux? That was a good question. She thought it over for a moment before speaking. I know that he is a good man—or, at least, he has been to me. He is capable, strong, and hunter of seals— which was something that'd always impressed her, —he has a wife and a son, but I think he also may have had a first wife? She didn't even know if these details interested Kilgitsuk.

After rattling off the immediate facts, she asked, Is there something specific you wish you know about him?
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
As Ariadne explained what she knew, Kilgitsuk listened. He gave a small shrug when questioned about his interest. I am only curious. He reminds me of... Other men. Some people I used to know. If he was Tartok, he did not act like it. It was rare for a man of Tartok to take multiple wives or to be so far from his formation. It made more sense that he was a man like Kukutux' people, but again different. It did not matter in the long run.

A seal hunter. He mused, and then chuffed to clear his thoughts. If he is a good man to you, I will work with him. He seems capable to me. Idle conversation wasn't really one of Kilgitsuk's best features these days.

I will go and visit the villages. He gave a nod as if to accept this charge, and to seek dismissal from his new superior. If that is all...? Perhaps she had a desire for something else from him?
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
What "other men"? Ariadne asked, quirking a brow. What did that mean? Was it a good thing or bad?

With a plan in place and Kilgitsuk seemingly ready to go, she shook her head. No, that is all—unless you need anything from me?.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Oh! He had confused her. He had forgotten that the lives of Tartok were not spoken of here, especially by the soft-hearted Kukutux. He had drifted in to his thoughts of days before and spoken in a way that would require explanation. He only shrugged, letting the topic slide away.

It was not something he wished to divulge right now.

Only your good wishes, to grant me luck! He answered, smiling. Kilgitsuk would depart swiftly after, to prepare for his visit to Moonglow.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
I wish you luck! she said with a smile.

When he left, she returned to her ulaq and sent a prayer for his safe travels.