“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Private 

Mature Content Warning

This thread has been marked as mature. By reading and/or participating in this thread, you acknowledge that you are of age or have permission from your parents to do so.

The participants have indicated the following reason(s) for this warning:

A few days after the initial shock of Marina and the ensuing hunt, Kilgitsuk ran several more patrols late in to the evening and found himself waking this afternoon in the wilderness, far from where the ulax had been made. He rose up, brushing off debris and stretching the stiffness out of his limbs.

He noted the high tilt of the sun and cursed beneath his breath, annoyed at himself for having wasted away the morning with sleep - even if his body needed it. The man headed for the heart of the village and along the way, startled a raccoon from where it was also sleeping; when Kilgitsuk arrived at his destination he carried the chubby body of the masked creature.

As he approached where @Ariadne had previously invited him, he placed the raccoon body down and called through the entryway, Hello? I have a gift for you.
Moonglow
Eta
writing letters addressed to the fire
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Her heart skipped a beat when she heard his voice—and when he said he had a gift for her! She'd been thinking about him often, thoughts of @Chakliux falling to the wayside as she remembered their meal together; his vulnerability with her, the offer to clean their plates, and how handsome he'd looked.

She scrambled out of the den, her eyes bright and face expressing her surprise, as she looked him over. What a surprise—it is good to see your face! she exclaimed, her gaze finally falling to the plump raccoon at his paws. What is the occasion? she asked.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
She is pleased! That is good, at least he could get one thing right. As for the occasion: No reason, except to offer you the fine furs of this creature. I caught it on my return home. Home. It had slipped from him effortlessly and Kilgitsuk felt the sting of it after, stalling a moment in his speech.

He cleared his throat and tried to move on from that. The hunt for Marina's justice is ongoing; Chakliux has gone further and will return in some days, while my own hunt did not amount to much. I will of course keep watch for signs of the man, but... I have a feeling he has dispersed from our doorstep. His deep voice was a low rumble, and he frowned. There was nothing else to report on that aspect.

Would you like to -- the caves, He motioned with a tilt of his head, ... if you are feeling up to it, perhaps we could explore together.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She grinned from ear-to-ear and pulled the raccoon closer; this fur would be hers. I am thankful that you thought of me! she said, too excited to notice his stalling. This is a very nice fur, and it will make a lovely shawl. When I have skinned it and prepared the meat, I will have you over for dinner, and we can eat it together. Already, she was planning another dinner date for them, but those thoughts ended when he began to speak of the manhunt led by Chakliux. I am also thankful for your help with that—I trust that you will do your best to keep us safe. She reached up and patted his shoulder, allowing her paw to linger before speaking again.

Her eyes lit up like fireworks, though they dimmed as reality set it. I would love to—but I worry I will slow you down ... she frowned and withdrew her touch. Is it okay if we take our time?
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
She touched his shoulder and while the sensation lingered, he gradually lifted his eyes to her own. Ariadne looked away almost instantly by chance, and he smiled after her.

Slow is still progress. I do not mind.

Kilgitsuk wondered what she would make of the fur. Perhaps something to wear, or to warm her bed; at this he felt insecure and moved on from the thought as quickly as he could: I could scout a route first if you'd like, and find an easier way up before we go? If that would help.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
His words comforted her; slow and steady it’d be. They would climb the mountain at a snail’s pace, but they would do it together.

She shook her head when he offered to scout ahead. She didn’t want him to go and leave her, even if it was for her benefit. We can go together. I will be right back—I want to get something for us. Ariadne grabbed the raccoon and briefly retreated to her den, and when she emerged again, she carried a buck pelt that she fashioned as a pouch, and filled it with dried meats. She also had wrapped her shoulders with a lynx pelt.

Just in case we get hungry, she said, still holding the bag.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Ariadne vanished, only to return equipped with her pelts. As he had thought her similar to her mother before, now there was no mistaking it; flame marked by the Sunman, while everything else about her was Moonwoman.

He ushered her along then. They walked through what would soon be the heart of Moonsong and towards the higher ground, where the snow was constant and the ice gleaming. Kilgitsuk made sure not to go too fast, and was ready should she stumble.

What was it that drew you here? Building a village is difficult for a pair; I cannot think it is so easy on your own. Of course he did not mean it the way it sounded. He means, single. A village is built around a man and woman; or in the case of Tartok, the strongest available match. Kilgitsuk felt odd to reference this aspect of her - so he did not speak plainly.

There was no real avoiding of the subject. Ariadne was a well connected, intelligent, kind hearted young woman; she no doubt sought a match for spring, to strengthen her hold of the glacier.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She followed, keeping her footing strong as they walked through Moonsong's heartlands towards the glacier's base. When they began their ascent, she began to rely on him more, and she did so freely and as much as she was allowed; her pace slowed, her paws slipped, and once or twice, she used his body as support. Although the climb was challenging, she knew it'd be worth it—especially with how Chakliux had described it.

His question was valid, and she gave it a thorough thought as her expression turned somber. It was because of my sistraa's death, she answered, her words riding on the end of a heavy sigh. I began to take my anger out on the ocean, and I knew I had to get away and find somewhere that didn't remind me of her ... t-that didn't remind me that she was gone. She looked around, eyes gleaming as she regarded the technicolor of light; nothing here reminded her of Samani.

Sialuk could do it on her own, and so I figured that I, too, could do it, and now her sister had a husband, wife, and children! Ariadne could only imagine what the next season had in store for her.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Kilgitsuk was there when she needed him. There were many times Kukutux had done the same for him after injuries of various kinds, it seemed only right to be here now for Ariadne. When she stumbled he was there; if she needed to slow down, he would oblige; keeping an eye in the path and on any signs of danger.

She spoke with care, and Kilgitsuk could see she ached. Ariadne had a soft heart; he did not know what to do to help her with it, as only time could do that, and he wondered if time would harden her the way it had him. Would she grow frigid like the glacier? It seemed a destiny for many women. The man found himself wishing that it never be the case for her.

You are more than capable. Kilgitsuk agreed. Look at all you have built already! His voice held a congratulatory humor to it, as if he might laugh. There came a reflected sombre affect to him a moment later.

I am sorry for your loss, which didn't feel like enough; a platitude used too often in these moments. I know... your people do not say the name of those that have gone. I remember... here he paused, not wanting to offend.

One night when Moonglow was hunting the caribou, I saw her bundled in furs and watching the stars. He would not say her name in his retelling, to be honorable. She asked about my face; I told her I had earned my scars as a mighty warrior - and she said, 'One day I'll be mighty.'

Kilgitsuk stopped there, remembering, but moreover to watch Ariadne and keep them climbing.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She appreciated his story, but it made her homesick for a time that she wasn't around; it was an unachievable nostalgia. She was mighty and kind, she commented, keeping her eyes on the path below their feet. Village Moontide still stands despite it all, her legacy lived on.

I lost a lot of time with her and regret it, she admitted, her voice quiet. We're you two close? What was she like? What Ariadne knew of Samani was the woman with the pregnant glow, the gracious woman who had taken her in, a poised leader with a kind heart. But what else made Samani, Samani?
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
I admit, I did not know her that well. It was with some humility that Kilgitsuk realized, he probably should not have said anything at all. Being reminded of a loss was painful; he knew that sting very well. There were moments where Moonglow hunted the caribou with us in the Taiga, and I remember seeing her in passing among the women as she worked the furs and hides. I... am sorry, that isn't enough.

Kilgitsuk went quiet. He kept an eye on the path and was wary now of offending Ariadne with further conversation. This was not his finest moment; it would have been better to speak of anything else, rather than try to comfort her! What had be been thinking? But he knew — wanting only to alleviate some aspect of her grief.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Ariadne shook her head. It is more that enough, she reassured him. It tells me things that I did not know—how she worked with the women on furs and had a sense of community. She was loved. She looked up to him, smiling now. Knowing that heals my heart a little.

Thank you, she said after a beat, her voice growing tried and labored due to the hike. I appreciate your words, and gently, if allowed, she pressed her face against his shoulder.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
If it was the conversation or the hike that tired her, it didn't really matter, and Kilgitsuk took notice. He slowed his pace further as Ariadne pressed upon his shoulder; assuming she needed a proper rest he stopped, and then recognized she wasn't seeking rest but comfort. Without thinking hard about it, he wrapped an arm around her.

For a moment there was stillness.

Did you wish to rest here?
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
They fell into a stillness; Kilgitsuk had wrapped himself around her, protecting her from the elements and providing comfort. Breaking the silence that'd settled between him, he asked, ”Did you wish to rest here?"

No, she answered, shaking her head; she wanted to keep going. I am mighty, she said, with a sly grin, I would like to keep going until we make it to the caves. Was it the best idea? Probably not, but pride was bigger than her brain.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Kilgitsuk smiled softly at her words, then gave her a small encouraging squeeze and released her. Then he began to walk and allowed her space to breathe and to set the pace again.

The air here grew a touch thinner as they climbed. It was fresh with the strong aroma of pine dulled only slightly by the growing cold; the further they went from the village the more at-ease Kilgitsuk became.

It wasn't really the distance that did it. The wilderness here was so familiar although he hadn't explored it prior to finding Chakliux, Ariadne, and Moonsong. Kilgitsuk felt more alive in the cold - it was his element.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Where Kilgitsuk felt more alive, Ariadne felt weakened; maybe they should have rested when they had the chance. She grew more lightheaded when they arrived at the stretch of land before the caves. Unable to stop now, she pressed onward with the sway of a drunk man, bumping into Kilgitsuk every-so-often as she swayed.

You are very impressive, she said, smiling up at him despite her disorientation. I assume this is not the first mountain you have climbed?
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
His grin became toothy and juvenile. I have been many places! The north is a lot like this. Often there is more ice than anything; I am sure Chakliux has seen the same as a seal hunter - he had not meant to bring up his hunt-brother but it happened.

Once we find a cave to your liking we can rest for a time. Going back down will be easier. He did not mention that she would have to get used to this, given that she had chosen a glacier upon which to build her village. Kilgitsuk believed she would adapt well; like all of those born to Kukutux' hearth, Ariadne was a strong and capable woman.

It was fortunate that their hunt would be short. The ice and dirt leveled off as Kilgitsuk was talking, and the wall of ice was marked with cracks and fissures; it was quiet here where the wind could not reach.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
The mention of Chakliux didn't do what it once did to her. It was as though a switch in her mind had been flipped recently; he and his wives had each other, and there was no room for her in his heart, as much as she wanted there to be. She had realized this when Kilgitsuk had begun to come around. He had started to take up the places where the seal-hunter once belonged. While she realized how unfair it was that she moved on so quickly—especially after admitting to love him! did she love him?—this was not something she would dwell on, especially if she and the trader continued to get to know one another.

When they wandered through the sentinels and made it to the caves, Ariadne's head was spinning—but in a good way this time. She took her time inspecting each cave and eventually decided on one that suited her needs. It was average in size, with natural shelves jutting out from the walls to the left. She stood before them, admiring them. This will be where I build my altar, she decided, looking up at him excitedly. Aside from the built-ins, there wasn't anything noteworthy about the cave, but it would do. What do you think?? she asked, her breath shallow as she spoke. Then, testing the waters, she said with a sly smile, I think the cave next door is available.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Ariadne moved ahead before he could stop her or properly investigate himself, as a cop might inspect a suspicious apartment after a break-in; the stranger who had assailed Marina remained at-large.

Kilgitsuk ended up trailing after Ariadne as she ventured room to room, keeping his wits about him. When she found something she liked, he was glad for it; at the same time Kilgitsuk was not a spiritual man, and saw no value in what she wanted to build. He didn't say it, as that wouldn't be kind.

I'm not a fan of sleeping places below ground, he told her this as if it were obvious: men slept beneath the stars, women with their children. But for her sake he smiled and looked to the fortified hallway between the altar-room and the space she mentioned.

Absently he added, I have only slept in a space like this with my wife. And then, catching the implication, he immediately silenced with surprise at himself.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Ariadne hadn’t been thinking. Kilgitsuk made her feel safe, and the at-large assailant hadn’t even crossed her mind; she was naive about many things.

Although she knew little about his ways, she thought she had learned something: they did not like sleeping in caves. Just as she opened her mouth to speak, he spoke again and derailed her train of thought at the mention of his wife. Kukutux’s warning swam in her ears, but she ignored them. Again.

And you two … she trailed, unsure how to politely ask if they were still together. She closed her mouth and bit her bottom lip as though buttoning them. Sorry, she mumbled, desperately wanting to move on. I overstepped. You do not have to say anything.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
There were questions, of course.

Kilgitsuk had the same question and had nobody he could ask. He sighed and shrugged, and couldn't help but laugh about it; but it was a disparaging sound echoing hollow in the icy space.

I loved her very much; but I... I do not know now. We have been apart for a long time. It didn't answer her question very well, but he could only say so much. And she remarried from what I understand.

He didn't want to think about it and put it from his mind; he wouldn't say her name either, as if she had at some point died. Sakhmet's love of him certainly had.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
I am sorry, Ariadne said, as if speaking about the dead, knowing nothing she said or did would make it better.

Then, wanting him close again, she placed her paw on his shoulder and squeezed. I can help you find the best spot for you to sleep under the stars, she offered, her expression somber; she wished she hadn’t said anything.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
He looked to her when he felt her touch again. The offer was a kindness, and he readily accepted despite being capable. And I will hunt for whatever you need for your... space, here. For a moment he had forgotten the word altar as he looked at her.

The caves would be perfect for the rest of the village. Kilgitsuk would continue sleeping in the snow; that way he could ensure the safety of them all.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
It took her a moment to realize what he’d meant, and then Ariadne turned back to the shelves again as her arm slowly slid down his. Can you find me the fur of a doe and the tooth of an elk cow? she asked, remembering what her mother had said; they’d benefit from having more women in their village. I need them as offerings to Sedna to help our village grow,

It seems the caves could hold many bodies—which will be good for our future here.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
He hadn't taken his eyes off of her. He felt the slow decline of her touch as it trailed, and when Ariadne spoke of Sedna he could not help the small smile that appeared upon his face. It always amused Kilgitsuk that these sunshine people worshipped a force with his own mother's name.

If that is your wish, I will find only the best.