Moonsong Glacier I missed that train
Morningsong
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
494 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
All Welcome 
The day had come: he and Valiant reunited just outside of Moonsong's borders, where the two shared a meal before comparing notes. Dutch was happy to report his enjoyment of the mountain pack, and Valiant said a little about the seaside. It had been a short enough time apart that sharing their stories did not take long — and, afterward, there was still plenty of daylight left.

"Come — I will introduce you," Dutch said, leading the way back into the moonsingers' claim. He was interested in introducing Valiant to anyone they passed, but he searched in particular for the little cloud woman. He thought that his cousin would find her just as endearing as he did.
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
261 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
The pair didn't travel long before they found @Ariadne. Valiant shot a wide-eyed look at his cousin — it was strange to see a coat pattern so similar to their aunt's. And she was as young as Dutch had told him. She must have great charisma, he thought, to have pulled her own pack together so young.

"Ariadne," said Dutch, hooking his paw around Valiant's neck to give him an obnoxious squeeze. "I'd like you to meet Valiant, my handsome cousin."

"Quit," Valiant snipped at the younger (but, annoyingly, slightly larger) male. But he had a kind smile for little Ariadne: "Pleased to meet you, ma'am."

"He's single," Dutch added, if only to see if it would make the moonwoman blush.
live and die on this day,
live and die on this day
Moonglow
Eta
writing letters addressed to the fire
568 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Truth be told, Valiant was more of Ariadne's type aesthetically—but there were more than looks to be considered when it came to a relationship. I greet you, she said, looking the man up and down appreciatively; she was still single, and she felt she could appreciate a handsome man when she saw one. It just so happens that I am single, too.

She looked at Dutch then, eyes twinkling in amusement at his antics. How may I help you two today? she asked.
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
261 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Valiant, likewise, thought that Ariadne was very pretty — but looks were only one aspect of a wolf, and not a very telling one, at that. Even knowing that she must be strong and wise for her age did not immediately stir the  isbjørn's heart. He did, however, appreciate her good humor. She did not quail under Dutch's teasing — something he thought the panther was a little disappointed over — and even answered in kind.

"I'm only visiting," Valiant told her, curtailing the response he could feel Dutch beginning to make. "My cousin has spoken highly of you. Very highly. Ceaselessly."

This attempt at needling the panther did not quite pan out.

"There is much to say," Dutch sagely agreed.

"Then I am glad you have brought me to her," said Valiant, and he turned back to Ariadne. "As I think I would much rather hear you speak of yourself than listen to more from him. And I don't think he can tell me — how did you choose this place?"
live and die on this day
Moonglow
Eta
568 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Let me know if I need to change my assumption about him being at Moontide!

Although she was disappointed that Valiant was only visiting, she did not show it. She nodded instead, sniffing lightly, and recognized the salt and brine of Moontide on his fur. Returning to village Moontide after this? she assumed, feeling a creeping sensation of flattery fill her chest. Her cheeks grew warm at the mention of Dutch's high regard for her. She dipped her head towards her packmate, smiling and meeting his gaze as she lifted her head before returning her attention to his cousin.

I was living in village Moontide when my sistraa, Rodyn's wife, unexpectedly passed away during childbirth, and I began to resent the sea—it reminded me too much of her, and I knew that I needed to leave. It had been an easy decision to do so, though a part of her wished she could have roughed it out to help Rodyn and the boys. @Chakliux, seal-hunter man of Moontide, helped me find this place, and after praying to Sedna, thinking on it, and feeling the world beneath my paws here, I knew that this would be my home.

My anaa, and two of my sistraas made their own villages before me, so I felt that I was just as capable as they were, and she was.

Then, curious, Have you seen the death ulaq by the sea? Her altar was nearby, and she was curious about how it was holding up.
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
261 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
We can assume for now that he is at least spending time nearby!

Valiant gave a little nod to indicate that he was planning to return to the other moon village after this. He was not sure how long he would stay, but he knew the day would come soon for him to depart once more. This conviction was strengthened when Ariadne shared her loss with him.

"I understand," he said quietly, recalling how he'd fled the wilds not long after his father's untimely death. "I have not seen it — but I have not ventured far into the territory, yet." He had not wanted to intrude on their grief, nor force anyone to socialize who was not feeling up to it. But despite his understanding, he was glad that Ariadne seemed to be in better spirits than the seaside pack.

Perhaps they all needed to move away from the ocean.

"Will you tell me of Sedna?" he asked her, assuming that their god must connect to the concept of a death ulaq. Both words were foreign to him, but he wondered if Sedna was one of the gods he knew going by a different name.

Dutch was around still, probably, in a way that is not awkward but does not require me to type more for him than this sentence.
live and die on this day
Moonglow
Eta
568 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Thank you!!

There is an altar that I created near that ulaq, she began, thinking of the place she and Phox had chosen. To bring good luck to village Moontide. If you happen past it, could you please check and see if it needs replenishing? She would happily provide the offerings if he would re-stock it for it. It would mean a great deal to me, especially knowing that it would bring good fortune.

She was surprised when he asked about Sedna, and she happily obliged to educate him. Sedna is the undersea goddess and the one to hear our prayers. She guides souls down through the sea and up through her throat where she breathes them into the dancing lights—it is where we go when we pass. She pauses, wondering if he has any questions.
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
261 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Valiant had never seen an altar before. He understood only from fantastical bedtime stories what they were. That Ariadne had built one earned Dutch another backward glance, but the isbjørn quickly refocused on the young woman as she made her plea.

"I will check on it," he agreed, even though he was not sure what might need replenishment. Dutch, he thought, was the better man for such a task.

The undersea goddess reminded him not of any gods he knew, but of his grandmother, Catori. The spiritwalker and her kin were closely tied to the sea, and not knowing their exact beliefs, he wondered if Sedna cared for them as well. Was this altar where she might hear him?

"What do you place on the altar?" he asked her, deciding that he ought to bring an offering if he was going to be visiting a goddess. "Where did you learn these things?"
live and die on this day
Moonglow
Eta
568 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She breathed a sigh of relief; her altar would be tended to and Moontide would be blessed once more. You have no idea how much that means to me, she said. Thank you.

You place things that Sedna may like—fish to eat, furs to wrap oneself in, shells, gems, the list could go on and on, but she stopped there. Anything nice that may appease her.

I learned this from moonmother, my anaa, Kukutux of Moonglow, she answered with a fond smile. She has been teaching me since I was a little girl.
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
261 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Valiant nodded, committing these things to memory. He would check on the altar and see to its upkeep. There was no reason not to try and get in with the ocean goddess, if he was going to live by the sea. He thought he could use a little good fortune in his life, and it seemed to him that Moontide must need it also.

"What else has she taught you?" Valiant asked, curious about the active spirituality that Ariadne expressed. He had heard Dutch utter a prayer from time to time, but Valiant had only been raised to accept that there was a higher power; he had never thought he might need to do something about that. Perhaps if he were more proactive, he would find what he was looking for.
live and die on this day
Moonglow
Eta
568 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Senda uses glaciers as her resting place when the days grow short, she said, glancing up at where she had made her home. It is good luck to make your home near one—so I am sending extra offerings to her as we settle to appease her. She wanted this first winter to go well and would do everything in her power to ensure good fortune for the villagers of Moonsong.

Then, a tidbit that may help him if he settled at Moontide: Another goddess named Tootega lives in a stone hut along the shore. If you decide to make village Moontide your home, I would make an altar to her. Stock it with fresh fish, furs, and shells that you find. She can walk on water, and save those who are drowning ... when it strikes her fancy, so it might be beneficial to appeal to her wants. She grinned. I can help you, if you want.
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
261 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Valiant was baffled by the description of this next god, as well as with the concept of the undersea goddess resting so high above sea level. But there was power in these stories — if he did not believe in them, he would not be able to recite his genealogy five generations back. He supposed these stories must have come from somewhere, too, and so he gave a little nod of understanding — he would build an altar.

"I see there is much to learn," Valiant replied, not yet willing to ask for help. He would look at this altar to Sedna before he decided whether or not he needed direction.

"And there will be time to learn it!" said Dutch, cutting back into the conversation. "I will bring him back to you, cloud woman. But today he must come with me to the borderlands. Will you anoint him before we go?" He wanted Valiant to carry Ariadne's scent as the rest of the moonsingers did.
live and die on this day
Moonglow
Eta
568 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador

There is, but before Ariadne could continue her thought, Dutch cut in, confirming his need to take Valiant to the borderlands; she nodded in agreement. Of course, she said, rubbing a paw into the man's fur and gently spreading it as she combed him; she expressed the scent gland as she brushed him. When she felt her work was sufficient, she took a step back and regarded them both.

May your travels be safe, she said. And Valiant, she turned to him, you are always welcome in village Moonsong. Come to us if you need anything at all.
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
261 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Valiant bowed his head so that the smaller wolf could reach him even with her bad leg. With his eyes shut, he contemplated the word Dutch had used — anoint. It was clear to the isbjorn that his cousin was settling in here in a much deeper way than he had in the past. He was making them his people, and Valiant admired him for it and felt a secret thread of covetousness. How did he do it so easily, like a chameleon changing its skin?

He was jealous, sometimes, of the way that Dutch had grown up. A stable home, even if his father was often mysteriously "away". At least he still had a father to seek!

None of this showed on Valiant's face when he lifted his head. There was only a renewed determination to do as his hunting partner had done.

"I will build an altar," he told her. "And I will see to yours. When I come back, will you teach me more of your sea gods?"
live and die on this day
Moonglow
Eta
568 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She was pleased with his promises and couldn't wait to his altar. That sounds like a plan to me, she said. I will be more than happy to continue your lessons—just come and find me when you are ready. She would have to ask for @Kukutux's help, but she had no issue seeking out her anaa for lessons.

And if you see Dutch before seeing me again and have questions, I'm sure he will be happy to pass those along to me, she added, looking to her packmate with an expectant look; she wouldn't expect any less of him, but she wanted to make sure that Valiant had several resources should he have any questions.
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
261 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
The isbjørn gave a nod of agreement. He had never been very religious, but if they were going to be radically changing their lives already, he thought he might as well try it out. It couldn't hurt to be on a deity's good side, after all. He'd had quite enough of their ire.

"Of course," Dutch agreed. He bumped his shoulder against Valiant's to get him moving.

Valiant dug his paws in just long enough to offer parting words: "Be well."

But then he allowed Dutch to herd him away. There was much to learn about the territory, too. There was much history in these lands, and both men wanted to tell each other stories of where and how they thought each event had happened.

Thank you! We could have another soon, maybe?
live and die on this day