Dragoncrest Cliffs But I’m still tired of sleeping with the light on
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
Bronco tried to remain optimistic during the thick silence that crept in after Meerkat and Stingray left, but it was difficult. Even the seabirds that wheeled overhead circled without their usual commentary, leaving him alone with his thoughts. His thoughts were scattered; his mind a radio without a proper antenna, that only focused in on one intelligible, uncomfortable thought: 

What if Meerkat decided not to come back?

She did. And his anxiety settled when he caught sight of her, though he wondered for a moment if she’d only come back out of politeness, and might send him away. She could use any excuse to get rid of him, and he’d obey. Maybe she’d tell him she was tired, or that Stingray was more upset than he’d let on and needed her back. But at least she’d come back.

He hung on her words for a moment and leaned hard into the guilt that they sparked. His posture wilted and his eyes glistened. He waited for a moment, for what he thought was the inevitablebut.

But I’m tired.
But Stingray needs me.
But you left me a long time ago, you left everyone, and you never said what happened when you came back and then you bailed on the family you made and you don’tdeservemytimeatall-

He’d stopped breathing and didn’t realize it until she spoke again. He had been clenching his jaws so hard they felt like a snare that had been tripped and rusted shut. Relief wasn’t something he’d expected at all, and it hit him with unexpected force. When he released his breath it barely wrangled its way through his vocal chords with a high pitched squeal, like a tire slowly releasing air through a crack. 

”I’m so sorry.” He croaked. He both longed for comfort, but felt rooted to the spot as well- still convinced he was undeserving of her attention, after missing out on so much of her life. He couldn’t do much- and was on the verge of breaking down completely- but the best he could do was apologize, and then hold his breath again.