Ankyra Sound You can travel the world, but nothing comes close to the Golden Coast
Hushed Willows
1,524 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Private 
Let me know if anything should be changed, I work all day tomorrow + the next day so I wanted to get this up tonight!
Her daughter was bouncing along at her side when Reverie first started to hear the sound of the waves, though she didn't know what it was. The air had long since changed, a new salty scent to it, but this was the first time Reverie really noticed how close they were. Her eyes went a little wide and she froze; Blossom didn't notice, bouncing and flouncing ahead obliviously. Reverie picked up the pace again in short order, but not without an excited glance at @Lestan. Her ears were pulled forward, her tail having taken up a stuttering stop-and-go of hesitant but joyful movement.
The ocean.
Reverie scooped Blossom up just as the water came into view, and went right to the edge of it all without missing a beat. She marveled at the feeling of the sand, the way it was so much coarser and somehow more pleasant than what she was used to. Sand, in her experience, was a fine dust that would scrape skin raw if left there too long. And on hot days, it burned. But the sand here was cool, clumped together near the water so that one could stand on it almost like normal ground.
And there was so much water. More water than she'd ever seen in her life, more than all the rains and all the lakes and rivers and ponds and puddles put together. She stared for a long time before she turned to Lestan, offering Blossom to him. Then she stepped into the water, and it was cold and alive and unlike anything she'd ever felt before.
Like coming home — and home was a vast emptiness without warmth or comfort, but a place of love nonetheless. Reverie imagined that if she could step into the ocean and lose herself, she would find a freedom like none other out there among the waves. Utterly alone in a new world entirely, not unlike how she had come to this land. She drifted out further, letting the waves strike at her limbs and then at her hips.
But she knew she couldn't leave Blossom — or Lestan, who she had come to understand had nothing in this world but their travel-weary family and the strange deer bone he kept tangled into the fur at his neck. That broke her heart in a way she could not begin to describe, to know that Swiftcurrent Creek was lost to him. So she turned back to her small family, back to Lestan, careful not to get him wet as she touched her nose to his cheek. There were no words for this moment, she felt.
Watching me is like watching a fire take your eyes from you