Moonspear this sentence will ruin/save your life
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
attn: @Terance ; backdated a bit, responding to his howl at MSP! Kinda vague

The absence of her mother and father around the territory was strange. She swore she could see them, now and again, side-by-side by the borders or atop the peaks, surveying the domain as they had all of her life... but they were not. She had little time to truly mourn, given her new role, and did not permit herself to give in to the melancholy she felt. Hydra instead found comfort in a familiar emotion: anger. 

By the day it grew within her, as surely as her future children did. There was happiness, too; happiness for what she still had, for what she would have... but anger had taken root, too, and it would not be directionless for very long. A howl sounded, and Hydra recognized it. Looking to her mate, she requested he finish the leg of their patrol on this side of the mountain. She knew who called for her, and she called back, requesting he meet her. At this time, her pregnancy was such that she could not leave home. But he could find her at the borders.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
and so he came to the borders, surprised by the request but not unhappy. he was more concerned he was unwelcome by everyone else, and therefore didn’t want to overstep by just showing up. but at her request, terance went to meet her. 

when he saw her there, she was beautiful as she’d ever been. still proud and dark as night — but pregnant, he realized quickly by her rounded sides and sweet smell. if something was wrong other than that, terance could not tell. hydra, he beamed with a dip of his head before asking, who was worthy enough for the hand of moonspears princess? he, to be honest, didn’t expect to ever see hydra settle down... especially not with dirge, who had a tendency to be flakey — but terance could swear that his scent lingered.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
enjoy vague! !!

His words were granted a playful snort, but no smile had found her lips since that fateful day. Queen, now, she corrected with a flourish of her tail, and while she wore the title well and with pride, the events that followed shortly after had robbed her of joy for the following days. Her blue eyes sparkled as she revealed to him, warmth coming into her voice, my mate, Dirge. He has pursued me for as long as I can remember, she was thoughtful for a moment, content to think of those days where happiness was more familiar to her.

But all that was for another moment. She knew he had come for his own reasons, and she would hear them. How are you? The Hollow? She hoped he had better tidings; she yearned for good news, though once she had wished nothing but karmic justice upon him. He had paid the price of his betrayal of her, and her anger was long forgotten.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
to the comment, his ears pricked with noticeable shock. what did that mean for charon and amekaze? terance wondered if bad news plagued the mountain as well. she didn’t elaborate, though, so terance didn’t press. well you look great, your majesty, he replied in a gentle tease — but meaning it entirely. he added, and congratulations, dirge is lucky. terance didn’t mention his disdain for dirge... it didn’t really matter.

when she asked about the hollow, his expression faltered into a deep frown. i’m afraid i’m here for business.. rather than pleasure, but i’d like to catch up later if you have the time, he began, following it with a sigh and a roll of his shoulders, history repeated itself — liffey hasn’t grown an ounce of maturity since we left all that time ago... and it doesn’t seem that rannoch has either. he waited to see if she had anything to say to that before he added, you were right. my loyalty was disposable to them, and i should’ve listened to you, he began again with a flick of a dark ear, but the past is the past, i know we’ve moved on. so i’m here with a proposition — if you’ll hear me out. 

terance has practiced this many times in his head.. but he hoped it held the same weight he had planned it to. or, if anything, hydra would hear him out.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She was pleased to hear his words; for all that she had endured, she thought she did too. Pregnancy, she vainly believed, looked good on the mother-to-be. Hydra was proud of the life that she carried, and her head lifted a little higher to hear his compliment. Her ego remained. Thank you, she responded, never one to be rude (in her own opinion).

Hydra remained quiet as she observed the shift in his expression. More unfortunate news, then. As she listened to him, Hydra felt her lip curl in disdain; not toward him, but toward Liffey. Of course she had been right about her. The bitch had been useless throughout her entire stay within Moonspear. What could have changed, except for the monster she named? Hydra did not say 'I told you so', she simply sighed heavily through her nose, which might have been the same thing. She had not the patience to deal with conversation of a she-wolf better off dead; why could the heavens not take her, rather than Charon? She felt for Terance; all the things that he had lost for his choice of who he was loyal to. Even Rannoch he did not have any longer.

Still, though, she was patient in her silence. He had a proposition, and what could it hurt to hear it? So she nodded. She was not cold in her reception of him, but rather attentive, giving him the floor completely as both her friend and her audience alike.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
she didn't speak, but she gave him the floor -- and she looked receptive. feeling encouraged, terance nodded and took a quick breathe to prepare himself. with the frostfur's gone, i now lead the pack alongside my mate -- arbiter, he began, careful to use her new name instead of treason, she's more than capable.. could probably do it better than me, but without weights on our ankles anymore, we want to make some changes. okay, he breathed, decent sales pitch, but get to the point, terance. 

i came here because i want you with us. our morals align, our timelines have changed, and we make a great team, he said, his ears pressing forwards, our numbers are low, but that's not the only driving factor in my question for you. he paused, now, wondering if that sounded okay... or even made sense. what are your thoughts? he asked.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra listened, nodding. It seemed Treason was not a part of the pack any longer, who also had led according to Gannet... she would ask about that at some other point. He sang the womans praises, though when compared to Liffey, who could not appear that way? He thought she more capable than he; he had thought the same of Rannoch, too. Hydra had her doubts in his judgment of character, justifiably so, but had no reason to voice this concern. Something clicked belatedly, too: had he said mate? Her interest was gathered, fortunately, by the time he had begun to get to his point. 

That, though, took a minute to interpret. With us. Initially she had thought he meant allies, but it became clear as he spoke of them making a great team and went on to speak of numbers that this was not what he meant. Once she had thought they had made a great team, too; they had always been on the same page, up until Rannoch and Liffey came between them. Hydra had wanted him to lead Moonspear prior to his departure alongside her, but so much had changed since then, first among those things his loyalty. While she had accepted him back into her life, she could not say she trusted him as she once had—how could she? 

She thought of her fathers dreams. She would see that they came to pass, one way or another... but trust was essential in that. That was not to say it could not be rebuilt, and her own proposition would beg the question if he was willing to do so. If you desire this, perhaps you and yours might consider moving here; any day now these children will come, and my whelping den has been selected, she pressed, though without aggression or vexation; being a father, he would understand that this meant her hours away from that place were decreasing by the day. Instinct bid she return there even now; it had, naturally, become a frequent haunt as of late... she continued, with interest, though firstly, what are your expectations? Where do you see yourself and Arbiter? Where do you see me? Her head tilted, curious.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
if terance would have known that gannet told her of treason -- he might've clarified. but he didn't -- he probably should've known -- but he didn't. it'd probably come up in conversation later. to her next comment, terance nodded as he considered. he'd thought through this point already -- though he hadn't anticipated pregnancy. terance was not keen on leaving the hollow, but he doubted she'd consider leaving the mountain... which was where compromise crept in. i understand -- arbiter and i have a litter of three. she might have come with me but they were a bit too young, terance said, to which he added, and what would you say to move to neutral grounds? when your litter is older? he hadn't considered exactly where, but he figured somewhere would come up... if that's what she wanted. the hollow wasn't sinking as fast as they anticipated, thankfully, they were spared some time.

what were his expectations? he thought of arbiter, and their conversation. a family -- a home -- to protect and be protected -- anything you'd expect from a pack, he said with a roll of his shoulders, we're all soldiers of sorts. i expect that to show... i don't doubt it would. to her second question, we are equals, he explained, gaze narrowing upon her earnestly, it's romantic, but it's obtainable. then, his ears flicked, and he was unable to keep a small smirk from pressing onto his features as he thought of arbiter's colorfully chosen words. beyond me, arbiter agrees, he said, since this was a three way street, after all, but she said she'd like to meet you first -- make sure you weren't totally useless and... of sane mind. 

with a wave of his tail, terance said, i wouldn't expect anything to follow through without the three of us talking together, anyhow... i assume you want to know the same things about arbiter.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He had been right; Hydra wanted nothing to do with the Hollow. It was where Rannoch and Liffey had placed their latest (well, not anymore) claim, in her eyes; she would not deign to touch such a place. He spoke of his mate having cubs, which was something else for her to consider... but perhaps they would be old enough to not need the resources she craved for her own children. Everything. Anything. As far as neutral grounds went, Hydra looked as though she was considering something for a moment; her lifetime had been upon this mountain. It had belonged to her mother, her father; they would not relinquish it. Not for anything. 

And at present, she felt the very same. The rawness of her parents death did nothing to change her loyalty to this place, because they had instilled within her their perspective. And anyway, she knew it was not the mountain that had killed either of them in the end. 

Her gaze shifted from the horizon to him as he spoke again, answering her other inquiry. In most, their ideals were similar. Had that not always been Moonspear's way? Indeed, it had—but never the Hollow's. Liffey and Rannoch had seen to that. If she were in better spirits, she might have smiled at the irony of it—all of it. A pack, cultivated based on opposing ideals with the pack they fled from only to embrace them again. So, she started, lifting her head and giving him a look that was playful, Moonspear? she teased; for was that not what they already were, and already fostered? Those that joined them did become family overtime. They were loved and protected as such... Hydra had faced the consequences of that, but she did not appear resistant to the idea of it, if not because ultimately her goal was expansion then because she had always practiced such ideals. Had she not treated Terance like a brother? Had her father not taken him under his wing, in his way? 

So much time had passed, and with the whirlwind of events that had transpired these past weeks it was hard to remember. 

It is romantic, she agreed, but did not refute his point of attainability; she had romantic ideas of her own, after all. But now to admit the initial fault in his ideas—amendable ones, but perhaps ones that Arbiter would not like. She sounded smart, at the very least... and they would have a common enemy, if Liffey was worth being deemed such. 

Hydra shifted her weight, quiet for a moment, before she spoke. Equals... she began, weighing the word on her tongue. Her own gaze did not narrow upon him as she continued: I can understand Arbiter not wanting to answer to another like Rannoch, who lived off of the fat of the land along with his wife and was first to everyone, including you; and perhaps the Hollow, and fatherhood, caused him to become more lax and lazy in areas where, as a leader, he should not have... she acknowledged, though her tone held no blame or malice. It was a credit to Arbiter for not wanting as much. And for the first time, she was first—to Terance, and to her pack. Who would want to let that go? But that was who you left to follow, every step of the way. You are one of the most loyal wolves I know, Terance, but who you committed your loyalty to... therein lay the heart of the issue. She considered that if circumstances were different, they may already have arrived to the point he had brought to her. For me to begin to consider us as equals, I would need to come to trust you again as pack. She was not so naive as Liffey, as Rannoch, and it showed. Perhaps that could be appreciated, but she did not think he would love the idea—in fact, she expected, and would understand, resistance. 

And she did not know Arbiter; how was she, as a leader? A woman?

Hydra continued, drawing in a measured breath. I have romantic ideals of my own. My fathers last dreams, that I would see be brought to fruition. Expansion. An eventual claim upon this Wilderness. It is a lofty goal, but perhaps you and your Arbiter could be commanders yourselves, if you wished; we would be free to roam within one anothers claim at leisure. Though I would be Queen, the only time I would ever be answered to in full is in times of war, her ears twitched at that; he may understand why, now, at least. With so many differing ideals about Titmouse, he was left to roam free; somewhere he skulked about, she imagined. I would consider the thoughts of my war counsel, however, the implication that he and Arbiter, if trusted, would find themselves upon that list (should they rule their own faction, how could they not be?); and when was there war to worry about? There need not be, if no murderers of children came around the Wilderness she sought to claim. 

That way, he would find his own claim beyond Moonspear; he would further his own legacy, and they could combine to become greater than any could hope.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
there was a soft smile on terance’s face even as hydra simply disregarded the comment about neutral territory. hm, was the only response he gave. he knew how hard of a battle this would be to fight, and he’d rather fight it with arbiter by his side. and perhaps with dirge around, too. either way, terance regarded her comment about moonspear with a quirk of his brow — in a, we’ll come back to it sort of way 

as she agreed with him to call it romantic, terance’s smile broadened a bit. he like to think that he was more realistic nowadays… but he was still a hopeless romantic at heart — perhaps that was his mother in him. but then, hydra began to talk about rannoch, to which his expression sobered drastically. he nodded, albeit solemnly, and let her finish. 

i like to think i’ve grown since the day i left moonspear to follow rannoch, terance said with a gentle sigh, not frustrated, but clearly thinking back to something, matured, maybe is a better word. i’ve pledged my allegiance to my pack long ago. no single wolf, but the pack. they are my family, and i am theirs. he paused a moment to collect himself, fearing he’d run out of words (as they were coming so smoothly for him now) if he spoke too much at a time. i think the proof of that lies before us… rannoch left, and i did not. i am here. he wondered if that would mean anything to hydra — because he knew it wasn’t the same as the trust their friendship had once built. his head dipped. but i understand why you’d still be cautious of me, i betrayed your trust once.

to her proposition, terance listened carefully, finding himself wary that arbiter would agree to such circumstances. his tail flicked as he heard her out, however, because terance would hardly dare to interrupt hydra. ah. It seemed something had happened to charon… he wondered what, when she’d finished, the hollow’s leader quirked a brow. that doesn’t sound like equals to me, he teased gently, a small smirk pressed to the corners of his mouth… but he continued to think. you would stay at moonspear, then? he asked with a bit of confusion, or we would branch away from the mountain? terance didn’t know much about hydra’s family anymore — if there were more or if they had stayed. 

with a dip of his muzzle, terance added. I’m sorry to hear about your father… my own parents passed recently. i understand your pain.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra listened to him, quiet and patient despite her exhaustion. She ached, every bit of her, but did well in not displaying it. She nodded as he spoke of his finally not following Rannoch—it had taken him long enough—but still she did not feel entirely at ease. Every wolf had loyalty to something (or someone); she, her convictions and her family; and he, once, Rannoch... now his pack, he said, but what if Rannoch returned to make amends? What if he and Liffey returned with their entitled expectations in tow? Could Terance truly refuse him? His love for his friend had always superceded everything and everyone, his own family included (once). Was it possible for him to change so swiftly, and so finally? 

He understood her hesitance, at least. She was relieved to hear it, frankly, and her eyes softened as she regarded him. He had grown, that much she knew... but her worry did not come without experience, and her experience was guided by his own history. It was not to say she could not be assuaged, but it would not be so simple as a conversation; Terance knew she was a woman who put actions above words, always. He was here, yes—but why would he not be, when all she had ever predicted had come to pass and she herself remained constant and true? 

Hydra's amusement was not displayed on her face, though her voice revealed what humor she found: perhaps not, she agreed. Her ears twitched and she pressed on just before he continued: I admit, I have difficulty seeing in how we would all be equals. In times of trial and tribulation, if we were all to disagree, it could be chaos. I would not mind having fellow... commanders, that may as well be equals for all they stand to gain themselves. What I seek to build cannot be done in a day. And do not think I believe myself infallible or invincible, either; I am not an unreasonable woman. But do you understand my meaning? She inquired with a tilt of her head. She was quite interested in his own thoughts on the matter, and her attention was solely for him.

His next question she responded to with a nod. I would, she verbally confirmed; she could not see how she could not, here and now, though in the throes of her pregnancy there was little question as to why she may be so one-track-minded at present. Moonspear had provided for she and her family for as long as she had lived. Why would they leave the safety of it now if there was no clear and present danger? and if you wished, you could take any of the neighboring territories. His dream has been my own dream, she admitted, softer now, and I know I could make something of it, someday, as he never could. We could create our own legacy, and do what no one has done, the novelty of it appealed to her, true, but the pragmatic side of her understood that it would further ensure the safety of her children to come, and should he join in this, his, too. The Hollow... it is yours, and Rannoch may have left it, but... Someday, one of his cubs may come with the silver bone (read: silver bone is to wolves what silver spoon is to humans, l o l) Liffey presented to them with siblings in tow, desiring to have it as their own. Believing it their legacy, not yours, nor your childrens, who surely by then may have earned such a thing for themselves. Moonspear, it is my own families. It was always meant to be my own. But you, Arbiter, and I— Dirge was not yet a leader alongside her, but she thought of him as she spoke can make something for ourselves, bigger than all of that, and erase the thought of the Frostfurs from their mind. Truth be told, Hydra was not worried for Terance in the slightest bit should that all come to pass—only for his nerve. Could he turn fang against the children of his former best friend? Liffey's whispers were an insidious, malificent thing—who knew what things she spoke about Terance and his mate, and with them their children? 

Hydra knew already she would defend her companion from such slander should she ever hear it with her teeth. It was most effective at silencing those that spoke the language of fools.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
i understand your meaning, returned terance with a nod as he chewed on the situation at hand -- but he did not speak more on it, not now. commanders was an interesting term that the hollow's leader could stand to think on, though he was not sure how this could be any different than leadership... and sharing it. or, he corrected himself quietly, she would not be a commander, no -- hydra would be queen. he did not know what to make of this in this moment, only because he could imagine that his mate would not take kindly to the idea.

food for thought. but, the more that hydra answered the more at ease terance became. was it what he asked for? no, of course not, but terance knew his dreams were not aligned with hers. hers were more ambitious than his... but terance didn't quite have a legacy to live up the way that she did. still, to uproot his family just to... be in the same situation? he wasn't sure it made sense for them -- not now. his tongue swiped over his nose as he listened and thought. 

rannoch rebuilds his legacy with the redhawks.. wherever that may be, should his children return to the hollow to seek leadership -- they will not find it, he said with a furrow of his brow. he wouldn't imagine rannoch's kids doing such a thing, but he could imagine liffey's. that was the difference. but, he continued, repeating himself, i understand.

with a roll of his shoulders, terance's ears flicked. you desire an empire -- a legacy for your families name. it sounds desirable, i'll admit, but it wasn't our plan, he said, referring to himself and arbiter, arbiter has been with us since before we officially formed at the mountains. she's proved her loyalty to the pack and myself, and i owe her that much in return. i can't say i'm fond of leaving the hollow for a territory you wouldn't be at with, and i'm sure arbiter wouldn't be pleased to leave -- but i will pass along our conversation to her. when the pups are older, i will return with her and we can all discuss this -- together. he wondered if that would settle well with the mountains newly crowned queen. his ears flicked forwards, waiting for a response.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
  u h hh   hh an i OOP. i thought i responded to this!!! gna throw a fader on this pupperooni

She was glad to hear his words. It would be one thing if they came to earn it, but another thing if they simply expected it and worked not at all for it. If that was so, they had much in common with their dam. Hydra listens on to Terance, and understands his point made. He had come here for one thing and been suggested another, but it was an appealing idea... and he had more to gain from it than the suggestion he had come to her with, she felt. He spoke of not being fond of the idea of settling where she might not be, but at least they could be closer. There need not be any power struggle between herself and Arbiter, who sounded to be a strong woman. The point of her own title was simply for formalities sake, but she intended for them to be equals... except in the event of war, or else any other struggle that needed one to be looked toward. Three, in those times, could be chaotic. 

And why her as the Queen? For her experience, and years in her role as a leader. It was both an inherent thing for Hydra, and also, learned. She was born for it, but Hydra stood where she stood now not because she was idle. A blend of Charon and Amekaze both, leadership was in her blood and her bones both. Her grandparents before her led, too; she had heard stories of the strong but gentle Thistle Cloud, and the fierce Viking, Ragnar. Amekaze, too; Yuurei, and Makyo—whose own reputations Hydra had heard told in stories as well. Moonspear had always been a place of stability; even the leaving of Rannoch and his fellows had not changed that. They still stood, and Hydra would work hard to make sure that they ever would. Moonspear had stood for years; Hydra would see it stand for many more, if she could help it. 

The children within her own belly stirred; Hydra, cognizant suddenly of her hunger, nodded to her friend. I look forward to meeting your family, she drawled in earnest. He had more children now, though these there was no sadness for from him which was a good thing. She could recall Seabreeze had left with his firstborns, and how difficult that had been for him. She hoped that this time around, now that all was well between them, things would be better for her companion. That Rannoch led with the Redhawks, here and now, went over her head (but would likely be recalled at some later point); her brain, now, was for but one thing... food. You should get back home; your family is surely missing you, she hummed, polite. I will see you off. And then she could devote herself to the task of finding something to eat.