Redhawk Caldera pluvialis
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
my internet has been feeling the struggle for days now so i wanted to get this up now lol set for this evening! message if my assumptions are uncool <3

the day had grown hot in the early hours. germanicus weathered the afternoon with @Crowfeather in a small stand of trees along lake rodney, seeking the cooling effect of the water's nearness.

it was a time adjustment for which the man had prepared. "when the sun begins to fade, i will return to the caldera to keep the meeting. please move our camp closer to brecheliant. i will meet you there tomorrow afternoon." he had entertained also the idea of sending the boy alone, to speak on his behalf. however germanicus had recognized this as his own soldierly making, and left off. 

tones were warm as he spoke, and sunlit eyes perhaps warmer. he meant to encourage crowfeather.

"call for me after you have found a place. i will answer."

when evening had come, and with it a light mist of tepid rain, the eagle arrived upon the border of the caldera. germanicus called for its regent, @Ruenna, and awaited her with the offering of a fresh-taken mallard.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
The soldier's promise to return had not slipped Ruenna's mind, and so on the seventh day she returned to the Caldera's borderlands, fully expecting Germanicus to appear in short order. He did not seem the type to forget a meeting. 

Ruenna spent the day refreshing her scent on the the Caldera's border, which was a fairly new practice for her given her recent elevation to the leadership tier. Honestly, it was one of her lesser preferred tasks, given how hard all the walking and squatting was on her back-- but she never would have dreamed of complaining. There were those who would all too gladly take her place as Regent, she knew, if she was to ever imply that the job was too demanding. 

Germanicus did not disappoint. In time, his call was issued, and Ruenna approached his position with a smile despite the heaviness in her limp. The day's activities had irritated her back more so than usual, but Ruenna wouldn't let that put a damper on their meeting. 

"Hello Germanicus," Ruenna greeted him. She was a bit surprised that Crowfeather was not in tow, but then again Germanicus had only promised to return himself. "How is young Crowfeather coming along?" Ruenna hoped they had found Lake Rodney to their liking. They had met with success in hunting, at least that much was apparent from the mallard resting at the man's feet.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"lady ruenna," germanicus greeted, crown lowering in a brief bow. "crowfeather has the makings of a strong ranger. he is proficient already at hunting, and knows also the herbs of the field."

the rain was light and unbound. he pushed the mallard toward ruenna with a gesture of his muzzle. "it is only a token in the face of your hospitality," germanicus remarked. 

"the cat of which you warned us followed our path. we led it far from here and washed our tracks in a river. crowfeather made up the delay with his quickness."

the eagle would wait for the regent to seat herself before he followed suit.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Ruenna felt a wistful tug at her heart as Germanicus described Crowfeather's aptitudes; similar strengths might have been attributed to her once, when she was in her prime. Now it was a feat to simply make it out here to the borderlands, particularly in weather like this. For Germanicus though, she felt it was worth it. 

Ruenna lowered herself to her haunches and Germanicus recounted their run-in with the mountain cat. She was unsettled to learn that the pair had encountered the cat, whose rumored presence had been unconfirmed before this point. Germanicus reassured her that the cat had been led away, which in Ruenna's opinion went above and beyond the call of duty for travelers just passing through. 

"It should be the Caldera laying offerings at your feet, Germanicus. You both have our sincerest gratitude," Ruenna spoke earnestly, "You may continue to stay at the lake if you wish. We would consider ourselves lucky to have such conscientious stewards of the land."

Ruenna continued. "Alternatively.. there is room among our permanent ranks for a promising ranger, and well as for a good coach and ambassador." Ruenna was only guessing at Germanicus's areas of specialty, but in truth they could use good wolves in general, no matter their talents. 

Ruenna wondered which of her offers might be accepted, if either. She felt it was the least that the pair deserved, given their act of service to the Caldera.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
the eagle shook his head. "it is the duty of an auxillary to be a guardian and a soldier in whatever land he travels." he did not like to feel so worshipped, even if it was not the regent's intention. her tone was genuine, not in any way with the ingratiation he knew from what he had observed during his service.

germanicus had wondered when her question might arise. she was given a quiet and small smile. "i have served many masters, lady redleaf. and i know myself too well now to pledge that i will remain in one place when i never have before."

the mention of crowfeather set his chest to a quicker pace. the man's features did not stir with it. and yet humour filled his eyes all the same. "when we first met one another, we hunted. i told him to seek a pack."

and yet the shadow had not. 

"the journey will take us eastward, into the snow. but i mean to return to this part of the wilds."
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Germanicus turned her down politely. Ruenna had thought he would. He had the air of a wolf on a mission, not yet ready to settle. 

"No such pledge is necessary for our wolves. Many among us share a similar nature to what you describe." Oh, how Ruenna wished she could come and go like Fennec, or Meerkat, or Figment, or any of her other packmates that were not chained to the Caldera by disability! "We ask only that our members say goodbye when it comes time for them to depart." A flicker of amusement pulled at the edge of her expression. Obviously, this was already Germanicus's practice. "..If they do that, they leave on good terms, and they are welcomed back into the ranks should they wish to return." 

Ruenna would leave it there, for now. She would not pester him further, trying in vain to close a sale when her potential customer had made it quite clear he wasn't buying. Perhaps things would be different in the future though, and there might come a time when such an arrangement might be tempting for the teacher and his student. 

Rue could see why Crowfeather might prefer the company of his teacher to that of an entire pack of strangers. He had much to gain from Germanicus's tutelage, and to be honest he had not exactly come across as a social butterfly. 

Germanicus hinted at the next leg of his journey, sparking Ruenna's curiosity. There was clearly a destination in mind, which hinted at a mission driving the journey. "Oh, eastward?" she repeated, head tilting in curiosity. If Germanicus didn't care to expand, she would allow the topic to drop, reluctant to press him with questions that might be too intrusive. 

"I was warned about a troublesome pack in the valley," Ruenna noted, "They are called Ursus, and they are best avoided." Unfortunately, the auxilia would have to venture through the valley in order to reach the Taiga-- if that was to be their intended, "snowy" destination. "Those who represent Easthollow and Legion packs have a better nature, and are more likely to be helpful," Ruenna suggested, unaware that her knowledge of the Valley's inhabitants was woefully outdated.

2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus was appreciative for the way that the redhawk's regent did not press him. she only provided a glimpse into the caldera's workings, and smoothed their conversation back toward him. it was the sort of gentle guiding one might expect from a senator, come before the court to ask one favour or another.

"i once lived far to the east. eventually the land stops behind a great and impassable forest filled with thorns." there was a brief pause. "my curiosity and a harsh environment where crowfeather may train are the foremost reasons to go there again."

germanicus was not prepared to share more detailed truths this day. the shadow himself still did not know of what had gone on within the hinterlands. 

ursus. "they are the pack with whom the saints seek war." germanicus straightened, his gaze upon the caldera wolf. "this conflict must be the reason they have moved their camp." his musing was aloud, but his attention was directed toward the regent. "east of you, before the mountains are reached, the saints may seek to build an outpost."

"the woman who seeks to make this place has given it the name of akashingo. crowfeather told me in his report that he is unsure of her alliance with the saints, only that she is one. or formerly wore their mark."

he leant forward reassuringly. "we will travel to akashingo and see what rears its head in the flatland. redhawk caldera and brecheliant will be informed."
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Far from quenching it, Germanicus's explanation only stoked the flames of Ruenna's curiosity. What sort of career required training completed in a harsh environment? Why would Germanicus feel drawn to the places beyond the thorns? 

More information about the Saint followed. Germanicus described two belligerent packs on the brink of war, which wouldn't normally concern Ruenna but for their intention to stage this war in the Redhawks' backyard. Given their proximity, it seemed likely that the conflict would touch the Caldera in one way or another. 

"Thank you, Germanicus. Please don't put yourself into harm's way for the sake of the Redhawks, but we would appreciate being informed of any new developments, if it is convenient." Ruenna didn't see any harm in agreeing to ongoing cooperation with the auxilia. It could be useful to have eyes and ears roaming Teekon and beyond, particularly if the Wilds were likely to see war. 

"The Redhawks will confer with Brecheliant before we pledge ourselves officially to any stance, but it is my desire to keep this war as far away from the Caldera as possible." If Brecheliant had already fallen on one side or the other, it seemed likely that the Caldera would be drawn into the fray before long. It was Rue's hope that she could reach Brecheliant before any promises were made, so that the allies could establish a stance of neutrality together.

2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus gave a crisp nod. "it sounds as though they have a score to settle. but in my experience, when such fun is over, others become a target." the eagle did not mean for the caldera to become this.

"i am a tactician by trade," germanicus revealed after a due pause. "it is crowfeather for whom i worry." the boy was untrained and not moved to offensive, even where it might be warranted. the incredible lack of this aspect was part of the shadow's intrigue.

his mind was firmly moved and resettled upon other things.

"it seems i may be staying in the area as autumn arrives," germanicus commented, though his attitude was light. "please know that the offer of aid in any regard still stands, lady ruenna."
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Ruenna and Germanicus shared a similar concern, it seemed. Even if the Saints only wished to throw a stone at Ursus, a stone that struck its target squarely could still deflect and hit a bystander. 

"My offer remains standing as well," she noted, referring to the membership proposal she had extended. "There is no need to worry for Crowfeather; we appreciate wolves of all talents and trades, should he ever need a border within which to.. rest." Or hide. 

"I look forward to seeing you again soon," Ruenna gave her parting words sincerely, glad that Germanicus had been swayed to consider returning after the equinox.

2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
feel free to write a fade or archive as is! <3

germanicus rose.

"even if the report i bring is somber, it will be accompanied by a light heart."

the eagle gave a deep bow to the regent and turned crisply, trained gait carrying him away, back toward the land where crowfeather waited, and the promise of a new search began.