Wheeling Gull Isle Touch
Loner
151 Posts
Ooc — tazi
Away
All Welcome 
It was the loneliest night he’d ever spent, and the last one staying in the Green Hills. He couldn’t sleep there anymore, not without Malakai, mom, Dinah and Simeon, nor Ava or Ana or his little brothers. There were too many ghosts around. They were loud in the night.

“Dad?” It is still dark when he goes in search of his father. When he finds @Caracal his tread slows. A thin layer of ocean mist separates them. His ears quiver.

“I need to learn to swim. C-can you teach me?”
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Caracal had a hangover twice over: one from the fermented fruit, the other from the mixed cocktail of his emotions. He stood in the surf, the cold saltwater soothing him as it swirled about his ankles. His bloodshot eyes stared out at the horizon, unblinking despite the stinging.

Only when Judah called out did he blink, then turn to look at his son approaching through the early morning gloom. Caracal promptly waded out of the water to meet him. He should’ve spent the night by Judah’s side, even if he couldn’t sleep himself. They were both used to being surrounded by family. He would not leave his son alone in the dark again.

I can teach you anything you like, Ju, Caracal said, putting an arm around the young man’s shoulders. It’s not going to be easy, with just the two of us, but I know we can manage. I’ll show you everything I know, son.

There was something else he needed to say, of course, but it took a moment for Caracal to gather his courage and speak around the lump in his throat. He swallowed thickly.

But if you change your mind and want to find your mother and siblings, Ju, I understand. I can’t follow right now but I could get you safely to them, if you wanted.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Loner
151 Posts
Ooc — tazi
Away
“I know,” he speaks after some time. His voice is hollow. A nod acknowledges the challenge ahead.

No; learning to swim would not be easy.

His father has more to say. Judah’s eyes trail up into dad’s face, partly concealed but a layer of seaborn haze. Even then it is easy to recognize the mind at work, choosing carefully words that sound so strange upon reception. He only heard the implications: follow, leave, surrender. Give up on his father.

No; staying would not be easy.

“I want to be with you,” he whispered earnestly. There was no place else he’d be. So long as Caracal was willing to fight it out, Judah would be by his side.

A step brought them closer and the man’s son met him with an expression of hope while low tide revealed mysteries of the sandbar and the patient seabreeze whispered through them both.