Moonspear in the land of not quite day
parts of stars, parts of legends
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
All Welcome 
He sighed a great big breath and looked up with the moment's pause. Dawn's first light had come creeping in overhead, helping to make up his mind to point his path down the mountain. It had been his routine to roam the elevations at night then patrols come morning, the rest up to be decided by the day--especially with the pups getting older, needing more to keep them busy and their training getting more intense, and Hydra or Dirge sometimes busy politically and beyond. Still, for whatever it was worth, he really kind of found a niche with it that seemed to do him some good.. He kept busy largely to himself, ranged occasionally when everyone else was more towards home, and helped keep up guard above all else. Busy, fine with that, but not exhausted. He just tried not to question it much (which was difficult for him), not after everything--for what else could happen?

It just seemed best for him to focus inwardly lately like this. Himself, then family that he still had close next. That all included home, of course, which for him simply went without saying. It was as much a part of him as anything else.. so he didn't even think of it so distinct. Anyway, he got going again, breath pluming on the chill as he tracked a creek-bed down down towards the forest that stretched to the borderlands.
[Image: FTnkWJH.png]
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
OOC- Katya is seeking to join! :)

Instinct drove her to find comfort and safety in the form of other like bodied creatures, knowing that winter brought with it challenges that a young lone wolf would find complicated to overcome. She walked beneath the light of the morning sun, making sure to keep herself on the otherside of the border of the marked territory she came across and checking ever so often for changes in its scent. She could smell wolf, one in particular was that of male and stronger than the others--an indicator that she had company nearby. She quickened her pace, not wanting to miss her opportunity to speak with this individual while on neutral land and to seek eventual acceptance, that is if they would have her. In the distance she could make out a creek bed that lay beyond the crowded forest, and she paused within good measure of the border, checking her posture, before making enough noise to give away her position. If she was lucky, she'd run into a peaceful member of the pack, if not, at least she had the safety of the forest trees to help conceal her as she fled.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
told myself id get to my older threads first but want to hop into joining threads too!

Hydra lingered near the lower reaches of Moonspear, closer to its borderlands than not. She was diligent in making sure their markers were up to date; given the trespassers of late, Hydra investigated. She was confounded even still to know that the well-maintained scent markers meant nothing to the others that had made the error of trespassing, but each of them had been young. Perhaps they had been taught, or else learned through experience, that their youth would prevent them from finding trouble from their actions... 

If she could not kill them, she would teach them a lesson they would not soon forget. 

But in the hopes to prevent such a thing? Hydra patrolled and scent-marked; not that there could be any doubt beforehand, but now... there could be absolutely none. The greyscale form of her brother was observed in the near-distance, and Hydra approached him with a chuff; that was when movement in her peripherals distracted her enough to recognize they were not alone. The other nearby alerted the duo of their presence in her own way; Hydra could not imagine they were here to trespass for their actions, and close as they were to the borders she was not at all vexed by it. 

With a look to her brother, Hydra invites him to lead the way with a fiendish nip that she hopes might land upon his hind, her rough affection gentle enough to not bring harm should it land true.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
ooh!!
In the moments that let dawntime stretch on around him, he made his way on down past his familiar landmarks, then to their outer edges. He stopped once already to refresh something when he was low on the elevations, but it hardly needed it. Signs of traffic was everywhere he looked, and it easily inspired him to contribute where he may as well while he was here. Moonspear didn't leave much room for doubt these days, anyway.

Just when he thought he was keying into something out of place, he started to notice Hydra and volleyed back her chuff with one to match--glad to see her, and always happy to have her company--even at work like this. Maybe especially so, and his tail wagged to say though he kept his respectful hello sharp and brief, suspicious, like he ought to be when they did in fact have a visitor closer than he honestly liked to realize.

Stranger, he called as he started to jog on over towards her, deciding that he felt forward today (Hydra's nip probably helped spearhead this, too), and like driving right for the point. They had seen a lot of trespassing lately so as a guardian of their sanctity, he wasn't going to default to being all that delicate--not that he was the most prickly of Ostregas to worry about, though. Why are you here? he asked with a curious squint aimed her way, approaching confidently with his ears up and tail swung up a notch too.. yet nowhere near above his back, for he reserved that for his sister to say. For now, he was just here to intercept before she could delve any deeper, and unless she determined otherwise, the interrogator.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
OOC: I feel so lucky for the replies :)

It would seem that her intentional display for attention had warranted a response, and within moments the woman was within the company of two of the pack's members, an audience of more than she had bargained for. She hesitated a moment, intimidated by their presence but found confidence in the purpose for her visit; she needed a permanent home. Her attention turned first toward the dark features of the female, and judging from her posture Katya assumed her to be of a higher rank than her male companion, whom she turned to when finally addressed. 

Jarilo had good reason to wonder why a wolf, without the scent and protection of a pack, would wander so close to their border and empty handed. Katya didn't miss a beat and responded carefully, choosing her words wisely in the presence of those who would eventually choose her fate. "I am in need of a home and was hoping you had room for one more... she knew with winter brought many more mouths seeking shelter, and was sure the couple had heard the same sing and dance many times over before her appearance. "I can work for a spot in the pack to prove my keep if needed." this time she turned toward the female, in case her word over his was final.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
I feel so lucky to thread with uuuuu EEEEE

The stranger was to the point, which Hydra always appreciated. They had room, though not for those who could not pull their weight with the pack. More than that, with all going on Hydra wanted to be sure those who became a part of their number understood there was plenty worth protecting, and that may even need it in the coming days. As the woman turned to regard her again, Hydra considered the request. She was not one to test others, though the idea was not a bad one. 

Tell me—can you hunt? Defend? She inquired with a tilt of her head, taking but a single step forward. The Wilderness has not been too peaceful a place, as of late. The food is scarce, and we are fortunate to have allies to help us in our endeavor to keep whatever food is ours, ours. More than that, we have been dealing with trespassers as of late—likely to steal what food we have stored. I have children to feed and to protect; there is a wolf out there that seems keen on hunting the young, and they are not alone, she informed. Best let Katya know that things would not be easy, by any means... but Moonspear was a tight-knit, familial pack that worked together, unified in their cause to protect those among them. Hydra wanted those who wanted to be here, though they needed to be capable—if not in defending, then at least in something else of use. Hydra could teach them the latter, at least. 

If Jarilo had anything to add, she gave him space to do so now.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
As the encounter took its shape, he was malleable as to what sort of pace the loner may set for them and it seemed early on that she was going right for the point, too. She needed a home and could work for it, she said--all reasonable, the nature of all things considered. Prey was scarce, winter kept tensions on.. he never traveled the route for himself but time as a loner for the darkest part of the year did not sound like a safe strategy; he nodded deeply, content to field that decision to his alphas, ultimately. Most times, Moonspear could benefit from new blood.

However, new blood of the right sort was where he knew this got tricky. As Hydra's next questions pried towards, it was not as easy as just asking here. His glance was quick, but he wondered already what his sister thought of her so far--she didn't smell of anything suspicious, looked pretty young, and in good shape. The dark-furred Ostrega stayed silent, eager to hear her answers.. and hopeful that she could back them up.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
Her plea for a home sparked a response of what exactly she could bring to the pack, it was a reasonable question of which Katya had thought over for a moment, keeping her attention on the wolves in front of her in silence while mulling over exactly what would make her beneficial. "I am not very much of a warrior and have never considered the duty fitting," she spoke to Hydra, honesty being her strongest attribute. She wasn't sure whether the woman would consider her useless if she could not adequately defend her new home but she thought the woman would find value in her next words. "I can hunt. she said matter of factly, proud of her ability to keep herself alive since becoming one year of age. " I am also an excellent tracker and am working on becoming more knowledgable in plants. I am interested in healing." she said, a single ear flicked backward in wait for what the woman would say next. The male, silent since Hydra's questioining, remained in her peripheral but the young woman kept her attention on the wolf who was in charge. It would seem that impressing her would give Katya the most advantage. "If you have someone that I can study under, a medic, that would be wonderful. I will be much more useful in no time." she wondered, hoping to take up an apprenticeship while under the care of the pack.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra listened to the others response, appreciative of their honesty though somewhat disappointed to hear it. Still, just because she was not much of one did not mean she could not, at the very least, learn to defend. And that she could hunt was something Hydra appreciated hearing, as well as her tracking capabilities. Two beneficial things. Katya also did not look weak or starving, in good shape; that also worked in her favor. 

We have one such wolf, she informed, her name is Lyra. She can teach you what she knows, she drawled, ears twitching. Hydra had a basic understanding of the trade, too; enough to get her by to be sure, and to know which herbs were best to avoid. It is alright you are not much of a warrior; I will teach you, at the very least, how to defend. I have children here, and it is important to me that you can protect them against any adversary you might meet that may wish to do them harm. So long as you are willing to learn that, too, you are welcome among us, she finished, ears pricked as she awaited Katya's own decision. Hydra could respect that it was not the womans preference and would not push her to learn beyond what was necessary to protect herself and the young present here.

What is your name? She asked then, and only once she responded would Hydra introduce herself in kind, allowing Jarilo to speak for himself. I am Hydra Ostrega; Queen of Moonspear, came her low voice, bright eyes upon the woman before her while one ear remained upon Jarilo.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
While it would have been the fast-track to a sure thing should she been a warrior considering the mountain they'd inherited from the parents, Jarilo knew right away the rest of her answers were favorable enough. Hydra's next decree aligned with this, so the brother was quick to nod. He tried not to be wary of medics based on principle of them still making him think of Speedy, which led to a whole different issue that he forced away from anything to do with this new face. Thankfully, instead, he personally kept the mention of plants to heart, an interest of his and something he had picked up helping gather and do chores for wolves like Lyra and their mom, once. I know a bit about plants, too. Especially ones here, he offered, for later on. 

Assuming she could keep up with Hydra's demands (which seemed obvious to him but he'd been into born here) to further secure her welcome, he was able to give his name, too. I'm Jarilo Ostrega, a guardian of the mountain, he clicked his teeth with a small smirk, as he decided on that one for today when paired beneath his sister's queen especially; but, he felt that much had been clear from the start. What led you to Moonspear? he asked, curious.. since it didn't likely have major outcome on her status as an introductory member by now, but he always did wonder--just like he had with Moriko--where did they come from before here?
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
Hydra was quick, to the point, and Katya made sure to mimic the older woman's quick fire responses, not wanting for a moment for the woman to think her unworthy of joining her pack. "I would like to learn from Lyra if she wouldn't mind an apprentice." she said, hoping that the wolf in question wouldn't mind teaching a wolf of her age and stature. She smiled when the male admitted that he was literate in the plant life around them as well and her tail swayed happily behind her, flashing the quiet male a smile before speaking. "I would like to learn from you as well, that is if you would have me." she offered hoping he would accept her offer. It could prove beneficial to learn the different techniques of both wolves, in case one was more profient in a technique then the other.

She was happy that Hydra accepted her hunting abilities, having left her pack at a young age the woman had but one duty and that was to survive through hunting. She had also learned pretty quickly that expanding her knowledge on plants could serve to help her survive as well.  Unlike the ever moving prey, plants seemed to all look the same and the woman was not brave enough to trial and error her way into learning about which plants were safe enough to consume and which could potentially kill.

Hydra brought up the need to defend due to the pack having many youth to protect, and fear threatened to bubble the length of her throat, the rate of her heart increasing as if the woman had demanded her to spar on the spot. Katya had been taught quite early to keep her posture low and her head leveled to avoid danger, and if all else failed then she would flee to save her hide--to seek out danger when it appeared was not a characteristic that the woman found comfortable but she was happy that at least the woman would teach her. "I am willing to learn..." she said, hoping the woman wouldn't notice the nervousness in her voice or the lack of passion for the job in which she demanded of her. 

"It is a pleasure to meet you both, Hydra and Jarillo. I am Katya Noir." she bowed to them, pleased to be in the presence of the alpha and the guardian of the mountain. It seemed lady luck really was shining down on her with blessings today. She wondered if they were related or mated for life--she would find out in due time, it seemed the male had more interest in where she had come from and what led her to the mountain. "My previous home was on the flat lands, open to the threat of intruders of all walks of life and very close minded. I have always dreamed of being on a mountain, high and imposing to all who approach it." she said, emotions swelling within her. The mountain was a symbol of everything she wasn't and everything she could aspire to be, that is if she could face her fears head on. She fell silent finally, wondering what the male would think of her response.
I have returned back to work full time and am also taking care of a newborn so bare with me in regard to replies. I will make it a priority to reply to threads at least within a week, if you have concerns do not hesitate to PM me and I can make our thread a higher priority. Posts are typically responded to by the weekend!
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra would discuss it with Lyra. Her sister was not the most patient of wolves, but she felt that having an apprentice would only sharpen her skillset. Hydra looked to Jarilo as he mentioned his own skills, which were not to be ignored; she knew he could speak for himself, and a warm look flashed in her eyes as he spoke of them. He was an ecologist of sorts, and knew of plants and their seasons and then some. 

As Katya spoke of her willingness to learn, Hydra did not miss the shift in her. Sharp as her eye was, Hydra did not miss much... including the sort of character this wolf must have to be willing to learn, despite any anxiety on the matter. Hydra did not desire her wolves to seek out danger though, only to know how to handle it when it came... which it ever seemed to. These days, there always seemed to be something. Nodding her approval to her response, regardless of the emotion that came with it, Hydra kept quiet as her brother asked his own question... also of interest to the matriarch, though she had not asked. 

The woman had a name: Katya. And as she went on, Hydra felt pride well in her own chest as she heard how the she-wolf had seen it: ...high and imposing to all who approach it... Hydra could listen to any speak of her domain for days if they had the ability to. Her parents had chosen well where they would settle; Moonspear, she felt, was the crown jewel within the Wilds. Some debated it was rivaled by its brother, the Sunspire—but Hydra, in her heart, felt that none could contest the grandeur of Moonspear. 

It will take some getting used to, if you are from the flatlands, though I do not doubt you will become accustomed to mountain life with time. Welcome to Moonspear, Katya, she drawled, having decided to accept her among them with a sweep of her tail. Descending some so she could exchange scents with the once-loner so all would know she was of Moonspear now (should Katya not withdraw), Hydra glanced toward her brother and requested, Will you show her to the rendezvous, and introduce the children there to her? She herself intended on continuing her patrol, where she was sure she would find Lyra along the way.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
He could not speak for Lyra, but he could be a willing teacher so long as the mountain saw it fit and he nodded, happy to help. Granted that now was not the best time to learn its plantlife, although thankfully they had their stores and even in the freeze of winter, all was not lost entirely here; there was still plenty to see, even if it paled compared to the verdant springtime and summer.

Nevertheless, as a whole, a smooth enough transition. Again, he liked her answers and felt a curiosity still to know more--matching over a compulsion to see that she get to experience a mountain proper as their newest addition. Already her interest in their heights was something he felt had the potential to be a very good fit. He dipped his snout along behind Hydra's words anyway, for any further affirmations needed from him. Jarilo was all in agreement. Can do, he chimed, and swayed his tail. Likely, he would run across at least one of the pups unless someone had taken them all out collectively--but he couldn't guess which one may be loitering closer to the homebase today.

When it looked a bit like Hydra had wrapped it up here, and was probably on her own way soon, the Ostrega son addressed Katya specifically: I'll lead the way. If there's anything else you want to know more about here, feel free, he quipped before his paws took to motion, keen to show their newest member what the mountain had for them.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
Want to fade and start a new, seperate thread?

She appreciated the possibility of learning from two wolves--one in particular was a scholar in the plants growing around her new home. A smile spread the length of her lips, and she felt the soft sway of her tail as Hydra approached her to rub the scent of her new home along the length of her sides and neck. It felt a great honor to be apart of a pack once more, especially when the wolves she met so far were so welcoming."Thank you Hydra, I will not disappoint you." she said, giving the woman a dip of her head in respect and lick to her chin for good measure, she would prove to her alpha that she was willing to work in case the dark woman questioned her intentions.

She turned toward Jarilo with another warm smile, excited to walk the length of her new home with a male of accomplishment, she was eager to see the rest of the pack and the puppies that would become the future of Moonspear in due time. She knew that her duty to the pack was not only to serve but to protect and once more she felt pride in the responsibilities that had been bestowed on her. "How many are currently apart of Moonspear?" she questioned, hoping that they would run into a few while on their round of the pack. "I'm sure you've seen plenty of wolves come and go from your home, that can cause great stress when numbers are needed during the winter." she finished, glancing toward the male in anticipation of his response.
I have returned back to work full time and am also taking care of a newborn so bare with me in regard to replies. I will make it a priority to reply to threads at least within a week, if you have concerns do not hesitate to PM me and I can make our thread a higher priority. Posts are typically responded to by the weekend!
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
i'ma wrap it! but i will send a present-day tag your way soon i hope >> 
He gave his sister a silent farewell, and got to business now that this much was settled by striding on along a well-worn path into their woods. It was a lower elevation route to start, but a quick hill later on awaited a climb she would have to grow familiar with. Jarilo had a good outlook on this though. Plenty, he answered, detailing their core a little bit if she would have it. Dirge and Hydra's family was focal, next was him and his siblings, then the others they had gathered since the autumn like Moriko and Dragomir. Brief little overview, mainly.

Then, thinking about what she said about wolves coming and going, he agreed. Yeah, winter has just been the beginning, but we've done well despite prey being scarce still, it seems, he said, thoughtful. They were lucky Moonspear still had the means to do well. Any less and he knew they'd hurt. I hope it will start to return soon, since the earthquakes have quieted for a while now too.. he mentioned, still reeling from the impact it had on their environments--even the less obvious ones at a glance.

Nevertheless, as he led the way, he easily volleyed any other questions and gave his answers about whichever (and pointed out a few key landmarks along the way, like a cache) until they reached the rendezvous. Only because he knew what to look for, he sussed out the sneaky @Antares lurking on the fringes and per the growing boy's watch, found out that none of the others were around right now. But, Jarilo exchanged names, scents, the likes, and figured it was a start to help Katya begin integrating, even before he eventually left her to settle in on her own somewhere peaceful on the Spear.