Arrow Lake Birds don't fly, they soar
37 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
All Welcome 
After her run in with the the pup, Zarya had traveled much further. Her goal was to get to the lake by the time the sun set. She'd been walking for almost a day, taking rests whenever needed. But, at this point in her journey Zarya was surounded by blinding snow. The conditions were rough as she clomped through the think snow. She knew this snow could be the end of her, she could loose her way and wander straight into a packs territory again. That would be quite an experience wouldn't it? she pondered, trying to distract herself from the harsh environment. 
Zarya was exhausted, hungry, and cold. She was also disappointed, she'd never let snow get the best of her before. When she couldn't bare it any longer, Zarya crept into a snow covered bush, curled up into the smallest ball she could manage, and drifted off to sleep. Allowing the bitterness of the snow to entrap her, as the wind dragged her thoughts away with each breath.
Follow your heart.. 
But take your brain with you
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
deciding that an excursion might clear his head, mahler set out at dawn the following day, intending to make for diaspora's summer claim.
some fanciful part of him swiftly dying thought that he and his wolves might one day be able to return here, in the rich warm of spring, but when he came upon the ruined land with its felled boulders and cracked earth, mahler surrendered the dream.
pensively he strode through the territory, irked by the reek of strangers. the general still thought of this as diasporan land, fair or otherwise; his lavender eyes prowled sharply across the sundered scape, and his large paws carried him across the snow in the vague direction of the former whelping shelters.
[Image: 2711649b07fc604164cb120b1b417fa3cf47bccc_00.gif]
37 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
All Welcome 
I just responded to "Good luck, that's all I can say" so as of right now Zarya has a wound on her flank. Thanks for that btw @Mahler lmao. <3
When Zarya awoke she was relieved when she found out that her wound hadn't re-opened in her slumber. Good enough she thought. The ground was still covered in snow, but for the moment, the snow had stopped descending. This was a good time to hunt. Zarya forced herself to stand, her flank bruning with the movement. When she rose, she set off again. Fishing would be easier to catch wouldn't it? It would.
So she set off back in the direction of the lake once again. Zarya was making good progress until a dreaded smell seeped up from the ground, invading her senses. She knew that smell, it was gargoyle's scent. The wolf that attacked her may have even followed her... crap! Zarya went from calm and relaxed to frightened and stressed. She couldn't handle another attack, so she pricked her ears and stood on full alert. Every whistle of the wind, snap of a twig, and creak of nature worried her. She kept walking like this, never letting her paranoia rest. Just to the lake. Just to the lake.
Follow your heart.. 
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
<3!

it was the blood that caught his attention, and around it curled the scent of the wolf that had been brutally driven away from diaspora. in this weather, such a gash could be life-threatening if infected, and at very least would slow the animal so that hunting was nigh unto impossible.
judge, jury — mahler hunted down her scent until he came upon her, tense and fearful, and looked upon her with cold eyes wanting nothing more than to drive her again from his former claim.
she had not gotten far, he noticed; though his gaze remained harsh, mahler relented an iota.
"vas it vorth the trespass?" he demanded.
37 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
Zarya had known the wolf had been coming. She was paranoid ever since she left, of course she would notice things such as that. Still, she jumped a little when she heard his voice. The gargoyle had a type of accent she just couldn't place. Zarya knew he would want her to say no. But she wasn't gonna lie. "A bear could induce the same wounds. Disrespecting you and your pack was unjustifiable, I know." she stated, more calm sounding than she expected.
Then, she lifted her head and stared into his eyes. Zarya had already said this, she knew. But he deserved to know she meant it; "I'm sorry that I trespassed. But I still see no other way." Zarya then let out a sigh as silence filled the air around her. "I take it you're here for a reason?"
Her leg was still causing immense discomfort, but she was focused more on her pounding heart. Zarya knew her wound may soon become infected. She wished she had payed more attention to her mom and her herbology lessons. It would really help.
It took Zarya a good while to realize that she was still scouring the wolf for answers, clues. She shot her eyes toward the ground again, staring is rude, was echoing in her head. It was her mother's voice. Zarya missed her. But, she stuck with the gargoyle, waiting for any type of an explanation.
Follow your heart.. 
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
instinct vied with healer's eye; anger surged against sympathetic ear. the man was silent, impassive; he listened in a cool quietude and said nothing once the woman had finished.
"do not look another volf in the eyes," mahler warned in a voice somewhat less gruff than before. she had apologized, noted her error; he lifted his head.
"this used to be my home," the shadowpriest answered briefly. stepping back to indicate she would not be attacked, he settled his eyes upon the jagged rent his teeth had cut in her flesh.
another pensive span of time; he gestured toward the she-wolf's wound. "vill you allow me to put a poultice upon your injury?" he asked quietly, lavender gaze skimming the depth of the damage.
37 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
Zarya studied the gargoyle. Once she finished speaking a quiet beat had followed, during which she questioned what he would do next. She expected an attack, another wound to follow the silence. Zarya had already braced herself by the time the wolf began talking. 

Some of the gruffness she noticed earlier had disappeared. Zarya nodded slightly to his warning. “Your home used to be here?” she inquired. “Why did you leave?” Zarya questioned with honest curiosity. 

After he stepped back, she knew she was safe from any more injuries. At least from him. She watched the he-wolf as he seemed to study her. He wanted to help? “I mean- I see no reason to deny your offer.” Zarya sounded more childish than she desired when she began speaking. But soon, she steadied her voice.

“Thank you” she managed to squeak as she glanced at the wolf again. Zarya didn’t expect that kind of offer. “Wait... first. I’m Zarya. I dislike not knowing who someone is. Sorry.” she continued. It really was one of her pet peeves. It made conversations just the much more awkward.
Follow your heart.. 
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
mahler did not immediately answer; once the woman had given consent to his ministrations, the gargoyle turned to pad away.
her voice paused him; the man turned to regard her over one heavy shoulder before "mahler" rolled into the cold air.
he returned with a stiff cracked skin rolled loosely around half-wilted herbs. in diaspora's time, the man had placed various caches of the medicinal variety about the lake, and knew still where they remained, though by now many of them had been lost to the snows and the shifting.
briefly irritated to see he had very little for binding muscles, mahler settled at her flank and glanced up at the tense zarya, awaiting her permission before he began. "the earthquakes came. ve lost some to the falling stones."
37 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
     Mahler. Now she had a name to go with the gargoyle. Then the wolf left and came back with what she assumed were medical supplies. Then Mahler located at Zarya's flank and looked upon Zarya. She nodded to the gargoyle to show her approval. She listened to his reasoning quietly.

Zarya now felt bad for ever questioning Mahler's act of moving. She had no words to say other than "I'm sorry", and even those came out in a whisper. The kind of whisper that the chilling wind carried off, like one of many unique snowflakes. The kind of whisper that silence had no problem overcoming. The kind of whisper that if you weren't listening close enough, you wouldn't hear it.
Follow your heart.. 
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
too cold in the season for cobwebs, mahler mused as he tucked comfrey into his jaw and began to chew a sticky bolus. he would have to hold her wound closed until the plant had knit the edges.
"it vas nature. ve could not stand against it, and i vould not have made us stay in an unsafe place," the gargoyle muttered, nudging crushed valerian onto the deep seeping tear before he looked up at the she-wolf again.
"this vill hurt," came his grunt; a brief pause before he spat the comfrey onto her flank and placed a heavy paw over it, pressing downward so the edges of the flesh might begin to stick to the cooking paste.
37 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
Zarya watched the he-wolf as he placed something into his muzzle. Mahler was reasonable, she wondered what role he obtained within his pack. Then he placed something onto Zarya's wound and mumbled something. She had to turn her ear to process what he said. This will hurt. Zarya looked at the gargoyle as he set an object upon her flank and compressed it with his forepaw.

He was right. It was pretty painful, but so was the injury before it. So, she only winced slightly at the ache before settling her eyes upon Mahler. Focusing on something always helped her overcome pain. It wasn't until then she had noticed the sheer size of the wolf she had encountered. Zarya was taken aback; this was the wolf she had been attacked by? There was no way he had let out his full force into the laceration she now displayed. Zarya figured if she spoke, she would disturb the concentrator. So, she stayed quiet and allowed the wolf to work.
Follow your heart.. 
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
as pressure began to bind the torn edges together, mahler felt the weight of zarya's eyes upon him. his lavender stare flicked to her own, but the gargoyle said nothing. at last he lifted his broad paw, careful not to tear away the comfrey, and grunted approvingly at the sight. a strip of birchbark to lie over it all, and the doktor rocked back upon his haunches.
"vhy did you trespass?" he inquired gruffly. "now you vill not be able to hunt until you heal. now you might starve." his tones did not seek to punish her; they were wondering, and the question of it was within his eyes as well.
37 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
While she was watching the wolf, Zarya had noticed that once, his eyes had flicked to her. Already she could tell a question was coming, there was curiosity within his mauve eyes. But still, she waited silently. Zarya sat still while the gruff wolf finally became satified with the results and then proceded to sit back.

Here was the question. Zarya thought as Mahler began speaking. "Why? Like I said, there was a bear on your south border." She let a quiet fill the air around them while she considered for a brief moment. "I mean and.. I guess I saw the young one. He seemed so.. out of it. I wanted to make sure he was okay." she admitted. Zarya once again gazed upon the wolf, letting her emerald eyes confirm she was being honest. 

"Yes I trespassed. But it doesn't mean I'm heartless. As for hunting, I used to have this friend. She explained traveling herbs to me. So I can either fish or search for some of those while I wait." Zarya explained. Zarya would not die to hunger. It had encountered her before, but never won. It wouldn't start getting ahead now.
Follow your heart.. 
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
she was stubborn, this one, with a heart that had not intended to thieve their caches. he frowned a long moment. insistent she would not die even as blood oozed beneath the makeshift bandage.
brows knit, then smoothed. "you vill come back to diaspora vith me, as my patient." it would not be prudent of him to leave zarya. 
it would not be necessary to explain why she was within his ranks.
37 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
Mahler obviously doubted her. But, if she was honest, so did she. He seemed to consider something, and find his answer as they sat there; eveloped in stillness. Come back with him? Confusion infested her mind, and she allowed it to show. 

"C-come back with you? But I trespassed! I-I.. what?" Zarya managed to stammer as her mind struggeld to comprehend. Zarya couldn't believe what she heard; or what she thought she heard. She had trespassed.. why would this wolf allow her to come back?
Follow your heart.. 
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
"because i could have killed you and i did not. because you came here to die. because i can. do not qvestion me. get up, and live."
mahler did not understand what had overtaken him. the sum of his anger and frustration had culminated in this: a redemption.
perhaps if he allowed her this, mahler might feel a taste of what it was to be unburdened again.
37 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
The wolf answered swiftly, he seemed upset she didn't jump at the offer. But, she would not deny this time. She wan't sure if Mahler was doing this for himself or her but, she didn't much care at this point. Zarya obeyed and stood, withstanding the urge to flich at the sting. Although she wasn't sure how apparent it was that she did try. "Alright then. I'll follow." she assured the wolf. It was her best chance of survial; she knew that. So, she took it.
Follow your heart.. 
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
i can start us a new thread :)

selfish, yes. but mahler was also realistic. diaspora needed numbers to buoy them against the coming season. any lone wolf would thrive more easily within a pack. she was wounded, but that would soon heal under his ministrations.
symbiosis, he decided, suddenly unconfortable with the notion that he had turned the law of wolves upon its ear.
"ve shall rest and return tomorrow," he intoned gravely, stepping back from zarya. what did she make of all this?
37 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
Okay sounds good! <3

Zarya was prepared to journey back when the wolf turned her down. Rest and return tomorrow. I mean.. Zarya wasn't gonna argue. So, she carefully sat back on her haunches. Mahler had stepped away and Zarya could see question within his lilac gaze but she decided against answering. Instead she asked a question that had been burning within her ever since the wolf attacked her earlier.

"Was that your child? I mean.. the one that I approached?" Turning her gaze from the gargoyle an oak tree not too far from the two. Either Mahler was the pack leader or that was his child. Or perhaps, he was both. If that was the case she was surprised she survived. Alone those wolves could protect viciously; but both.. that would be dangerous for even a soldier to face.
Follow your heart.. 
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
"he is my nephew," mahler murmured softly. "his father vas my kill-brother. he is passed on now." in this very place, his grave covered by the crush of rocks that could never be lifted.
"how long has it been since you have eaten?" the general inquired, shifting their conversation from the bruise of stigmata that still remained a dark stain upon his soul.
37 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
Zarya could see the grief still constricting the wolf. Which made her feel for him even more. She hoped the young one back at his pack was okay, for both of the wolves she had encountered so far sakes. But, right now the only thing she could do was comfort the one she was near. Zarya was never the best at comforting, but she had learned boundaries. Mahler seemed to set his, don't drag on the conversation. So, she said decided to leave the subject at that and respond with a condoling tone "I'm sorry Mahler". Maybe adding his name would show sincerity also?

By the way he changed the subject she was assured that the he-wolf was reluctant to talk about his lost, so she too moved on. Since she ate? Oh she wasn't sure. Not desperately long ago. Maybe a few days she resolved before saying just that. Then to reassure her company she added "Possibly only a day" hoping he would leave it at that. Though she highly doubted he would. Mahler seemed to be trying to prove something; either to himself or somebody else, she wouldn't get in the way.
Follow your heart.. 
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
fade w ur next post? i'm so excited she's coming to diaspora!

had he known just how perceptive this woman was, he might have sought to veil himself more closely in her presence. as it was, mahler gathered himself up.
to her utterance of his name he leveled her with a long emotionless look, unsure of how to feel. only a short time ago he had been seeking her death, and now he was preparing to bring her into the gates. 
such was this agonizing evolution, mahler decided, and let the cold planes of his face soften with a slight warmth that thawed him toward zarya. 
"i vill go and find something for you," the general stated. "please rest." where else would she go, he supposed.
stepping away, he favored her with a single last glance along one broad shoulder —
— what was he doing?
— and set off into the relieving familiarity of the land he still knew so well.
37 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
Yup! Zarya out! 
And me too! Things are gonna be pretty interesting! :)
Never have I used the word "shall" in a thread...

When Zarya had actually muttered Mahler's name he seemed to stare upon her with a bare expression, until it appeared he had changed his mind and Zarya watched as his features lit up; even if just a bit. Rest? Was he crazy! Oh no, that was not gonna happen. Zarya attempted to stand up as she watched him turn, but her wound flamed with the relented movement so she sat back down. Okay, maybe that would happen.

Back down on the snow-blanketed Earth Zarya mumbled a possibly inaudible "fine" with an ending huff. It didn't take a detective to figure out she was not happy about this chain of events. Zarya saw him look back, but by that time she was lying down and not in the mood for any conversation. Pouting as the wolf walked away, she "rested" as Mahler had so desperately desired.

But, this wolf had multiple chances to kill her, to finish her off. Not only that but he had reason to. Instead, he was helping her, a lot. He was getting food, healing her, taking her back to his pack. What more could he even possibly do? Mahler was saving her life, and that would not go unnoticed. If she decided to leave when she healed, she would repay him for it all.

Hunting was Zarya's specialty, she could repay him with food when she healed. Even if she just left a meal at the border, she would repay him, he deserved it. But for now, Mahler wanted her to "rest". And rest she shall. Zarya curled up in the same spot she had laid since Mahler had mended her injury and napped as the cold breeze rustled her thick coat.
Follow your heart..