Deepwood Weald I've got a wildcard up my sleeve
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,524 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
All Welcome 
It was the most amazing thing.  Right next to the ruin of the sentinels was the most gorgeousss Forest, the type of thing you'd expect fairies and tree nymphs and dryads to abound in!  It was a shame, honestly.  She could almost catch a glimpse of what the other place had been in the transition, and now strode captivated through the thick, carpeted canopy.  The leaves were just beginning to turn, and the reds and golds and yellows streaked the treetops with the beginning touch of autumn.  Soon they'd shake free, and then it would become more haunted wood than fantasy glade.

Not to say a fantasy glade couldnt be haunted, of course.  She sat back and glanced up, and her attention caught upon a stick that hung tantalizingly out of reach.  From it sprouted two or three leaves, mostly given over to red.

She glanced around, then began to back up a bit with a grin.  Then, readying herself, she ran a couple of paces and vaulted into a springing pounce.  Her teeth clicked shut short of the stick, but that just meant the challenge was harder to meet!  This was her test for the day... to prove she was worthy of passing through this sacred glade.  Laughing softly to herself, she prepped for another jump, completely taken with this new game of hers.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,951 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Talking to her brother had given Meerkat some clarity on the matter, without actually resolving it. Deciding distraction was the best course—particularly if she could keep it productive, maybe even geared toward one of her trades—she slipped from the mountain once more. She selected a direction at random, wandering rather aimlessly north until the sight of yet another forest in the distance lured her. Oh, she was such a sucker for autumn foliage.

As she entered the woods, the smell of dead and rotting leaves fill her nose, an enjoyable, almost sweet odor. The still living leaves rustled overhead, drawing her attention upward to admire the way they were beginning to change. Little did she know that this was just the first stage in quite a dramatic play, resulting in a curtain call that left every single bough bare save for the evergreens. Obliviously, she trotted deeper into the woodland, filling her breast with deep breaths of chilly September air.

She heard a commotion ahead that reminded her of a night or two previous, when she'd overheard Bronco hunting in The Heartwood. Just like then, she prowled toward the sounds, curious what she would discover today. Surely she wouldn't find her brother again, that would be entirely too coincidental. But imagine her surprise when she reached a bend in a natural footpath and clapped eyes on someone else familiar.

It took Meerkat a beat to place her. "Maia?" she called out as soon as she remembered, a smile spreading over her face, even as that homesick feeling speared through her. Maia's face inevitably made her think of the Firebirds, though she knew via Towhee that Wraen et al had left the copse not long after her own departure. Ignoring the feeling, she toed closer with an expressive, "Hiya!"
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,524 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
By the time Meerkat arrived, Maia was  a little short of breath around her giggles, but she hadn't managed to snag the stick.  She spun when she heard a familiar voice, and her face lit up.  Meerkat?!  Hi!!!  She stopped, her sides heaving a tidge with breath, and beamed.  Her antics hadn't exactly been graceful.... she was heavy on her paws.  But it was exhilarating just to jump for the joy of jumping.

Oh, yeah, Moonspear's close to here isn't it!? I was gonna say, super weird to see you here, but I guess not!  How is it going? How's everything there?  She asked these in a bit of a rush, her excitement bringing out more than expected as usual.  She'd gotten so big, even since they left, that it was almost hard to recognize her! Except not really... Towhee's daughter had a pretty distinctive look and attitude, just like her mom! Cept... pretty opposite too!
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,951 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
In the beat between her rhymed greetings, Meerkat noticed that Maia was snatching at sticks. That made her think again of the prior night, with Bronco swiping at foxes in trees. Her gaze skirted upward but she saw no signs of prey in the branches today. Snorting a quiet laugh, her eyes dropped back to see the joyful look on her old pack mate's face as she asked after the youngster.

"Yeah, it's not far from here, back that way," she replied, motioning toward the slope in the distance to the south. "Things are good!" Meerkat added, which was largely true despite her recent spates of emotional malaise. Even as the words left her mouth, she suddenly remembered how Wraen and Arcturus had reacted to hers and Bronco's decision to go to Moonspear and couldn't help but wonder if Maia shared their reservations. It didn't seem like it.

"How about you? My mom said you and Wraen and Arcturus decided to travel together," the youth said, eyes shining brightly with intrigue, naturally. She bet every single day was an adventure. "What's it like?" Meerkat wondered, trying to imagine not really having a home or a pack. She couldn't decide if it sounded more amazing or nerve-wracking, though hopefully Maia would share her experiences to shed some light on the matter.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,524 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
She was glad to hear it!!  And Meerkat really did look like she was doing well.  Well, of course though! She was staying with Bronco, right? The few times she'd spent with him, Maia had really enjoyed it, and it was hard to think of two nice and cheerful wolves like them having a difficult time in any pack.

It's pretty great!  I mean, so was the pack, but I've always been a little bit of a roamer.  Maia looked over her shoulder towards the Sentinels.  We've been staying where Wraen was born for a bit, actually, just kinda checking it out! There's other wolves here too but they don't really bother us and, y'know, we let them do their thing.  But I think we'll be heading somewhere else pretty soon.  As soon as Wraen felt better about traveling and they picked a direction.  

As she spoke, the stick game was forgotten.  My mom told me.... That would be Towhee.  Maia was suddenly curious how she'd taken their leaving... she hadn't handled that goodbye.  And Wraen had never told her how it went, probably because she had never asked.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,951 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Maia spoke enthusiastically of her nomadic lifestyle, explaining that she'd always been a bit of a roamer. Meerkat had enjoyed traveling as far as she could remember, yet it had never really occurred to her that she could uproot and wander without a home base. Even when she'd learned of that possibility via Towhee, it hadn't really appealed to her. Even now, the thought was equal parts foreign and intriguing. She could barely grasp a life without borders, without pack.

"Where do you sleep? How do you hunt? What happens if you get hurt or sick?" The questions came springing off her tongue, rapidfire. Meerkat found herself silently hoping for good answers from Maia, as if a seed had been planted by the trio's departure and now sought water to grow.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,524 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Maia took in the questions one by one and answered them once Meerkat had finished.  Uhh, wherever we want!  Whatever we can find, and I don't know!  She laughed, then shook her head.  Okay, I kinda do.  If it isn't bad then Wraen or Arcturus could help me out, yeah? But if it was bad, there's usually a pack or someone willing to help too! At least until we could pay them back. We're way too awesome to get ourselves hurt though.  Wraen worried her a bit, being so weak still, but she seemed to be doing fine and enjoying the trip! And that was all that was super important.

Are you thinking about traveling much? she asked, curious about the questions.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,951 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Maia didn't seem very concerned about any of these things, which fascinated Meerkat. She kind of envied her this mindset, just because it seemed so idyllic to wander around, totally carefree by the sound of it. She idly wondered if a wolf could develop this perspective or if one had to be born this way...

The question earned a quick smile from the younger. "I think about traveling all the time!" she reported enthusiastically, before taking on, "But I've never thought about doing it as a loner." Meerkat would definitely have to think on it more, figure out whether or not it might be worth a try someday. "I like scouting around but having someplace to go home to, y'know?"

She found herself looking around a moment before her honey bourbon eyes returned to Maia. "Are Wraen and Arcturus nearby? I wouldn't mind saying 'hi'!" Well, she was just full of unintentional poetry today.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,524 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Oh, ugh, no!  Definitely don't do it completely alone.  That's the worst!  Maia made a face.  Of course, sometimes she definitely traveled alone, but never by choice and certainly never for long.  Even with just three of us, it isn't' like we are loners.  And we've kinda been sticking around one spot for a while, which is nice.  But yeah, having a home is nice too.  Maia was thoughtful for a second, but she didn't dwell on it long.  If she was being honest, there wasn't a single place that had felt like a true home yet.  No place had captured her heart like her parents' pack, and she'd wandered so much even as a member that she'd never let herself become a homebody.

They're in the forest that way!  Closer to the coast. It's kinda burnt, but it's where Wraen grew up, so we've been checking it out!  I bet they'd love to see you!  Wraen would be thrilled, Maia was sure of it!  Arcturus she didn't know as much, but if Meerkat knew him, then doubtless he'd be happy too.  Surely their Moonspear issues didn't extend to their previous packmates, yeah?
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,951 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
While she could entertain the idea of being homeless, Meerkat absolutely could not imagine traveling entirely alone. Her face mimicked Maia's own expression to concur with her distaste at the mere thought. They were pack animals, after all, whether or not said pack maintained a home base or wandered more freely.

Maia told her that the other two weren't far away and Meerkat was about to ask her friend to take her to them when something she'd said gave her pause. "Wait, Wraen grew up near here? And her home is... burnt?" That thought put a pit right in the youth's stomach. The copse had almost flooded recently and only now, with her homesickness coloring all her feelings about home, did Meerkat really appreciate what a loss that could've been. Her heart clenched for Wraen.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,524 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Oh, yeah, ages ago!!  I don't think that was why they left though.  Maia paused thoughtfully.  She'd never really asked for details about the first fire, and now because of a second one, she'd probably never know.  That was a kind of... sad thought, so she let it go hurriedly.  Umm, I think mom wanted to go south, see warmer weather and stuff.  The forest I grew up in was wayyy different.  Smaller trees, for one.  But Wraen said this place was super pretty back when she was little and Donnelaith was here.

The pack's name rolled off her tongue in a super pleasing way.  She'd always loved the way it sounded, and the visions envoked whenever her family talked about it.  Dad and mom always sounded really happy when they remembered wolves like Lasher and his family, just like when they talked about Peregrine and his before that.

I don't know if she considers it home anymore though.  Home is where your family is, yeah?  And there isn't really anyone here.  Maia smiled, suddenly again aware that Meerkat was here and that she'd caught her in the middle of a game.  She'd zoned with remembering.  She probably wouldn't resume it, since talking with Meer was loads more fun than jumping around like a weirdo.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,951 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Maia elaborated on the tragic tale and Meerkat realized for the first time that the two sisters must not be litter mates. She said the pack's name and it sounded almost lyrical. Her heart gave another pang on Wraen's behalf, though she reminded herself that the woman was alive and hopefully happy as she traveled with Maia and Arcturus.

As she followed Maia toward this burnt wood where her two companions waited, Meerkat pondered her words: "Home is where your family is, yeah?" She lived at Moonspear, with extended family, but she had been born in Firebirds and would always think of it as home. Just thinking that thought made her chest tighten, this time for herself.

She sucked in a breath and coaxed herself to smile and pay attention. They were about to see two wolves she liked and respected. Perhaps they might even have messages she could carry back to the Firebirds, eventually. That thought put a genuine pep in her step and Meerkat's tail waved, brushing gently against Maia's flank.

I figure a fade might make sense, what'cha think?
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,524 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
sounds good!

As they traveled, Maia would catch Meerkat up on some of the better stories about their travel so far.  She might embellish a bit (certainly she and Wraen had not saved Arcturus from a crazy badger) but it passed the time and gave some laughs.  She would lead her straight to where Wraen was bound to be, and Arcturus probably too, and together they could enjoy a fun afternoon reunion catching up.