Hoshor Plains a glass of chardonnay with ghosts
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
All Welcome 
Fall equinox marked the time, when the doors of the Underworld were open for the dead souls to roam free in the lands of living and visit their loved ones. It coincided with time, when the daylight hours became shorter, the weather colder and the days, when the sun could actually be seen, were far and few between. Therefore it was easy to believe that it was the ghosts and not the astronomical changes that had brought the change upon the Earth: in order to feel warmth and beauty of life, the spirits took it away from the land, wherever they walked, whatever they touched. 

Wraen liked this idea very much, because the weeks leading up to the longest night and the shortest day were time for her to look back at another year lived in this world and reminisce about people, who had once been important and present in her life, but now had left. Fates of some she knew, others - she could only guess, and a fair share walked with the dead. She stopped in the middle of grassy plains, where the wind roamed free and howled mournfully, where flurries of white snow sometimes took on a shape of a face, a running form, a laughing expression in order to break that illusion in the next moment. 

Briefly she closed her eyes and summoned those ghosts she wished to meet. And for a moment her imagination let her believe that they had come.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Tag for reference.

The plains weren't home, but at least they were familiar. It wouldn't be long before Ibis and Lilitu were reunited with their little family, something they were both equally impatient for. Their detour had taken them away from the Wilds. Ibis knew there would be questions, but she was capable of giving an explanation when Akavir would ask; for now she had to focus on keeping them both fed, and to keep their shared energies under control.

They could only travel a little bit at a time - not that she blamed her daughter for that, contrary to the sentiment it was Ibis that kept tight reigns on their progress, wanting to avoid injuries or exhaustion - and with the world seemingly unfurled around them with the mountain range in sight, they both wanted to race to the finish.

Ibis had convinced her daughter to have a rest while she tracked down a warm meal. The chill in the air was deepening, some creatures would be hiding away in preparation for winter on its way, and their travels expended more and more energy because of it. @Lilitu was resistant but she fell asleep as soon as she was secured in a hollow - so Ibis felt safe to roam.

One bonus of the plains: everything was (subjectively) flat. She coudl see distant shapes huddled together and could presume they were a herd, making them inaccessible as she was alone, but she could also see threats coming if there were any. When she noticed a grey shape lingering some distance away Ibis was reluctant to intercept them. There wasn't much out here otherwise. After some quick decision-making she drifted closer to where they lingered.

Looking at them closer, Ibis' breath hitched in her throat.

She sighed the name, Sarah...?

The grey tone of their coat, the familiar look to their face, and Ibis easily confused one aunt for another - not that she knew.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
They came. One by one, snowflakes converged to create a distinct outline of their faces, then they dissolved, giving place for the next. Some people Wraen recognized - her parents, old friends and acquaintances - some she had never seen in her life before. Probably distant ancestors, clinging to that lifeline, which connected them to their living offspring, freeing them from the icy cold of the Underworld. 

Wraen could not hear their voices, instead she was surrounded by harmonious humming, as if she was standing in the middle of swarm of bees. She did not flinch, when the ghosts touched her face or run their muzzles through her fur, seeking warmth, breathing in life. She shivered a little, but not because of fear. Any signs of distress and the ghosts would either flee or devour her whole. Neither were good options. 

A sharp, loud call broke through the illusion, which shattered in numerous pieces, leaving Wraen alone, amidst a snowstorm, but with a distinct feeling that someone had stayed behind. She turned to face the person, who had called, and did not recognize her niece, who she had not seen for almost two years. Maybe longer. And though such little forgetfulnesses are pretty common, this moment marked a slight change in Wraen's life. 

"May I help you?" she asked the other she-wolf, smiling at her kindly.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
No, not Sarah. The differences were obvious as the surprise wore off. Similar enough to the woman Ibis had known and cared for, though. It was the eyes that struck her, set in a face that was so familiar yet still unknown. Ibis deflated a little bit with the realization that she had been wrong; however this stranger's presence tugged at her heart, reminding her of how precious and small the world could be.

I am sorry for disturbing you, Ibis started. I thought you were a very dear friend of mine, who I lost along the way. My name is Ibis... Have we... Ever met? Do you know Sarah?

Ibis worried that she was seeing ghosts in the passing faces of strangers. She had been traveling for some weeks with her daughter after all, the high stress situation of protecting and guiding Lilitu through the wilderness having worn her out quite a lot. This could have been anyone.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
At this time of her life Wraen was past exuberant outbursts of excitement, when she happened to cross paths with a close relative of hers. She recognized the girl by her name, though the face had altered from that very small singing kid she so clearly remembered and, if she recalled a brief encounter during the girl's adolescence, she could have drawn more comparisons. Instead of expressing that she knew either, Wraen listened with quiet interest and meditated on, what she could reply. 

"You are one of Terance's, right?" Wraen finally asked to confirm, what she felt was right. "And Sarah happened to be your aunt, didn't she? It's been a lifetime, since I have met either of them. Come to think of it," she paused, "I don't even remember their faces anymore." Here she sighed and looked up at the swirling snowflakes, as if expecting them to provide her with the images of her siblings. "I don't know you either, though once I did. That's, what lifetime does to people," she turned her green gaze back at Ibis and smiled a little sadly.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Yes, I'm his daughter. She answered quickly, feeling a mixture of joy and apprehension at the memory of him. It was nice to have found someone who knew her family—although as the woman explained, she had forgotten their faces by now, and that meant they weren't particularly close. Ibis wondered what had caused that, but didn't think too hard on it. At this point she wasn't close with any of her direct relatives; she thought of Okeanos, and her heart hurt.

Mmn, yeah, I can sympathize with that, she murmured next, trying to focus on other things so that she didn't become overwhelmed by her emotions. It was a constant struggle for Ibis not to empathize immensely with others. I haven't seen my parents in a while, or my siblings. But I have a husband and some kids now, so... They take up all of my time. A sad little smile accompanied these heartfelt words, while deep down Ibis felt as if she were lying. She hadn't seen Akavir in some time either. Some wife she turned out to be.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"That's, what usually happens, when you have a family of your own," Wraen nodded, though she did not have her own experience to draw from. However, she had seen plenty of people coming together and spawning offspring to have a very good insight in, what it meant and what happened afterwards. 

"I was the third in that litter - sister to your father and aunt," she explained, now that the name Ibis had finally rung a bell in her memory. It had truly been a very long time. "And we happened to share the living premises in the nearby mountains for the first few months of your life. Name's Wraen," she reintroduced herself. "It is nice meeting a relative even after fate has taken us in two very different ways."
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
How strange it was to find a member of her family here, and to not remember them. The closest comparison Ibis could make was to Sarah; this was not Sarah, that had been discerned already, but Ibis could see so much of her aunt in this woman that her chest ached. What had happened to their family to make it so splintered? Perhaps as a child she would have blamed herself, but now she blamed the wilderness as if it were alive and working against them. It had always been this way, she reasoned. It would be this way forever, she ached.

The mountains... Ibis' face scrunched as she tried to think back to those early days. Being so very young then, she could not fathom the great escape from the Sunspire; the Willows had always been her home, so this news of another place was making her mind spin.

It is nice to meet you, She confirmed with a shy smile, nodding her little head. Fate has a funny way of pulling people apart when they least want it, then putting them together when they most need it. Except that Ibis couldn't tell what fate was up to these days; was she meeting this woman here for a particular reason, or was it just fate's way of flaunting what she'd already lost?
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Some would say that we are just pawns manipulated and pushed by gods above," Wraen continued the philosophical note their conversation had taken. "But... I like to think that we meet each other for a reason - we might not know it yet, but it could play an important role later," she finished. 

"How has life treated you - Ibis - I remember a little kid in the mountains and I have a feeling that we might have run into each other, when you lived in the willows, but that just could be my memory tricking me," she explained. "That happens, when you advance in years - timelines become blurry first and then lose all meaning."
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Oh, I did! I lived there with my mothers. Ibis could not help but gush, thinking of both her beloved mothers and how wonderful the willows had been; granted at the time she thought they were horrible and lonely, but looking back on it now, it was a happy place. A calm place that she wished to go back to during her most stressful moments.

Life has been hard, but I suspect it is hard on everyone. She said through a sigh. I've traveled a lot; from the Willows to the Hollow where Terance lives, and then all over the place with Okeanos my brother. We fell out of touch in the winter... Last year? Perhaps the year before? Another sigh. I forget which. Time moves so quickly sometimes.

The woman tried to think beyond her history, to look at the future that lay in wait for her, and found herself thinking only of Akavir and her daughters in the present. Soon they would be old enough to disperse and make lives of their own — and Akavir, he would go grey beside her. What legacy had she left behind? But these thoughts were too grim now, and soured her mood.

My husband and I live here now. His name is Akavir, and together we have two daughters — Lilitu and Arielle. She chose not to mention her recent foray in to the wilderness to find Lilitu, nor the fact that Ibis had not seen Akavir in a while. Small hurts weren't worth dredging up.

And you? Do you have a husband, or... A family, one you've built?
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Memory of her mothers was a happy one for Ibis and it caused a little pang of regret that neither Terance, nor her had been part of that period in the girl's life. Truth to be told Seabreeze had invited her to come over, even if the beginning of their final conversation had not been that promising at all. Wraen had never acted upon that invitation and therefore she could blame herself for never taking an active role in her niece's life. But then - kids grew up so quickly and there was only a handful number of adults that could truly influence their lives.

It could be so... maybe it was better that they were brought together now, when hardly any (mostly none) of the people, who had surrounded them two years ago, were no longer here. They had met each other at a point in life, where each was looking for something and did not have that many people to rely on. And... maybe - now Wraen smiled to herself - it was not too late for her to play a role still. Help, if that was needed. Or become a friend, if such offer was not denied. 

"I do not have a family in a traditional sense," Wraen replied, not wishing to linger on reasons, why it was so. "I have made friends along the way, I have befriended a lot of kids too - so, even if I am not their mother, they come to me, when they have something to confide and which they cannot tell their parents," Bronco and Fennec came to her mind. "I am that fun aunt with a lot of advice and encouragement and no responsibility of the consequences, though I try to be constructive and not abuse my power - so to say," she replied. 

"I led a pack for a year up in Hinterlands," she told. "And I left recently due to differences of opinion. So - at the moment - I am travelling with my sister and a good friend," she explained. "No set goals in mind, but we will have to settle down somewhere eventually."
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Wraen's answer left Ibis with a lot to think about. She was glad that some part of her family had continued to exist within the wilds, even if it was an estranged aunt, and was pleased to hear the way Wraen spoke of her connections. It was very much like Ibis' ties to Reiko and the wolves of the Empire when they had first settled; she thought of the Emberwood too, of the many friends she had made and the family she had tried to build there. They were not so very different.

I led a pack for a year up in the Hinterlands, Wraen went on to say. Ibis was not familiar with any place like that, but it sounded like Wraen had been happy there for a while. Unfortunate that she had to leave over a petty dispute; but then again, people came and went through Ibis' life very quickly so she couldn't really judge.

If you stay here on the plateau you can meet my husband, Akavir. Maybe... If you wanted, you could stay a few days? It would be lovely to hear about all of your travels and adventures, and I would certainly love to hear any stories about my father. Ibis offered this openly, her voice bright and inviting, her smile hardly changing. But I understand if you would rather move on too. I know it can be hard to keep all your loved ones together and safe. Sometimes it requires a change. No harm, no foul.

Come to think of it, Ibis had not seen her husband in a long while, so she wasn't even sure if Akavir was upon the plateau at this point; she hoped so, as this was the last place the family had been together. Ibis was thoughtful for a moment, listening if Wraen responded to her question in whichever way they desired—and then absent-mindedly commented, I suppose with winter on its way we - my family - should think about settling somewhere.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"We may stay here for a while," Wraen said and at the time it was true. She would learn later that, though there were two friendly packs between her and Moonspear, the latter's claws were long and greedy. All great things and changes were ahead of her, presently, however, she was still enjoying her stay out in the wilds and was in no rush to end her vacation from leadership soon. 

"I would be very happy to meet the rest of your family," she accepted the kind offer to reconnect with Terance's side of the family and his grandchildren. Imagine that - him being a grandfather already! "I know Maia will be thrilled too - she was your babysitter at Sunspire, if I remember correctly," she said, not realizing then that it would be a long while, before the meeting would actually happen. 

"I was, in fact, thinking about seeing Sunspire too, but I heard from locals that there is a rogue pack there and it is no longer safe there," she informed. "Is Willows still standing strong?" she asked.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Ibis would happily hunt down Lilitu and present her for introduction, and maybe Arielle if she could find her; Akavir's scent was still upon the plateau but the territory was sprawling, and as she had just returned from an adventure, Ibis did not know the layout of the place all that well. It would take a couple days before they were all together—which means the meeting would probably happen behind-the-scenes if everyone was alright with it; this thread is old so lets just go with that.

As for the Willows, the mention of Ibis' birth home made her sigh and shake her head. I left the Willows to live with Terance for a while, and then my brother Okeanos dropped by and we made plans to travel a little. By winter the Willows had faded, I don't know what happened to my mothers... I haven't seen them since I left to live with dad. And after hearing no word about their possible relocation or demise, Ibis chose to think they were alive somewhere and happy, surrounded by more children than they could count. Maybe one day Ibis would find them and meet all those imaginary pieces of family.

I haven't seen Okeanos in a while either. Winter was hard, there was a lot of transience with the famine, and then the earthquake further muddied things. I'm hoping now that the world seems to have settled down and managed its growth spurts, maybe my family can settle too. Either at the plateau or.. I dunno, somewhere safe, and quiet. Ibis was thoughtful as she concluded her commentary there, looking up at the ridge that extended towards the Sunspire behind her.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
It was a little consolation for Wraen to realize that she was not the only wolf around here, who tended to change the scenery once in a while. Ibis had got a pinch of that gene for travel and wandering too. "Yeah, not knowing is the hardest thing. We - well, Firebirds - lost a young fellow to the earthquakes too. He was the son of my friend. Elfie. Cheerful chap that disappeared during the quakes. No trace of him. No one has heard of him ever since," she sighed. She had not thought about her Blackthorn friend in a long time. "I hope that, wherever he is, he is well. And I hope that too for your mothers as well," she told softly. 

Okeanus too. She had not seen him, since he had been a little baby. In her mind he still remained that tiny replica of her brother's, who was all gentleman-like even at a very young age. He had disappeared. "Safe and quiet - that's, what I would want to have too. That final home, though with my record... I should never say "this is it", if I do not wish to jinx it," she grinned. "Tell me about your daughters - what are they like?" Wraen asked.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
When it was Wraen's turn to tell her story Ibis listened attentively, eager to learn of the world outside the little hamlet that was the plateau; she longed to venture far and wide like she used to, instead having to corral her daughters and keep them safe (a rewarding venture but not her favorite thing). It had been easier with one girl at a time, as Arielle remained with Akavir during the little adventure; now that Ibis was home (or close enough) and she could trust that everyone was safe, she only wanted to roam again.

Wraen spoke of people and places she had never seen before; losses she could feel despite this, as Ibis had lost a lot. She felt sympathetic to Wraen's loss of her friend's son, and was quiet for a moment. Finally the topic shifted to Ibis' daughters and she was more than eager to speak of them — she loved them so, so much, and having a chance to talk with someone and boast about them was exciting.

Lilitu is a handful while her sister Arielle is not so much. They are sometimes very different from one-another. Lilitu just recently went on a little trip - she had been exploring and found her way to a neighbour's claim. It was frightening, as she's very young. Ibis could not remember how old her daughters were, but to her they would always be too young, small, and delicate. Precious things to keep close. But I tracked her down. Arielle stayed here with her father, she's always been much more attached to him... Which is nice, too. Makes managing our little family a little easier. A smile graces her little face. Lilitu loves to sing. Sometimes she can get her sister to join in, it is the sweetest sound.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"I remember that you too were very fond of singing once," Wraen pointed out. The then little ball of fluff's first attempts in music were the only distinct memories of that far away time, when Ibis had been a wee puppy and her aunt had been not just beautiful, but young too. 

"What about your husband - what is he like?" she asked, curious about that significant other that had caught her niece's heart and wanted to start a family with her. Again she thought about Terance and what he would have said to the guy. Would they have liked each other? Or not? Were they similar - it was said that daughters often subconsciously looked for a father figure in their potential mate. Wraen did not have that experience, she could not compare.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Yes, she had been. Fond memories flooded Ibis at the thought of her little songs; there was some awkwardness too, a taste of nostalgia flavored by cherry-picked images of her childhood, before she had established herself as an ambassador or led any packs. How different she had been then! Vain to a point, innocent of many things. Simpler times. Ibis smiles but says nothing as she basks in the vague memories sweeping through her mind.

As for her husband - He is.. Very much my opposite, I'd say. Stoic might be the word. They did not need to have extensive conversations to understand one-another; their love had not come gradually so much as exploded between them. Now, having been away from him for a few weeks, Ibis wondered if she had done irreparable harm to that connection - but she would not let any doubt show on her face. He's a quiet fellow but very attentive, I'd say. Protective, kind, and the best father. I'm very lucky.

A moment of pause, and Ibis asks: What about you? Do you.. Have someone special?
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Sounded very much like Arcturus and Wraen decided, that if there ever was a chance, she would like to meet the young man. She quietly wished her niece many happy years alongside her chosen mate. "I consider every friend I have as something special," she replied, though she knew, what Ibis had meant with this question. At her age it came up all too often - you saw a she-wolf in the prime of her years and assumed for her to have a man by her side and a couple of children. If not grandchildren already. She did not fit that image, but it was never the easier to explain that she felt absolutely fine being the way she was. 

Therefore she chose not to delve in details too much. "All relationships are equally important to me," she clarified. "And I feel just as blessed to have many friends surround me as those, who have found their partner for life," as simple as that. "Well, it was nice meeting you, Ibis, and I would love to hang around longer, but I have to find Maia and Arthur, see, what we can do about dinner. Spotted a couple of roe deer here. Won't catch themselves," she excused herself. "I hope we see each other again very soon. Good luck to you and if there's anything we can help you and your family - just find us. We'll be around for a while," she offered, gave Ibis the last word and then left.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Aunt Wraen did not divulge any secrets, choosing instead to speak of her various connections as if they were equally valuable, which Ibis could appreciate. She missed being surrounded by all of her loved ones; this conversation had her thinking of those that were lost to her, and those that she could still reach for; she was glad to have Akavir, gladder still to have her daughters.

The young woman smiled, nodding as Wraen mentioned her desire to fetch dinner - it was the same for Ibis. No doubt her daughter would be getting hungry too, so, she said her farewells and watched as Wraen departed. Then, turning her attention and all her love towards her next venture, Ibis headed the opposite direction on the hunt for something to feed her family.