Duskfire Glacier platzwunde
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
All Welcome 
mahler traveled in silence.
whatever events had gone on the past days left the graf quiet.
the light that had fallen through the sky; wylla's arrival;
he set his jaw — his nostrils flared.
he knew this place from long traveling. it was where he had first met takiyok, and to think of her clawed at him. but there was more here, and mahler to his surprise drew up the scent of @Wintersbane, whom he had once called his brother. wylla had never forgiven the man. mahler had never faulted him.
he called now to the northerner with wondering voice.
[Image: 2711649b07fc604164cb120b1b417fa3cf47bccc_00.gif]
149 Posts
Ooc — landry
If anyone minds her hoping in, let me know <3

She heard the call and knew it was not for her. Yet she lived here as well now. She tended to the man who was called upon and she knew his limping state. Surely he would not be upset if she arrived too. Would he?

A chance she would willingly take as she moved along the little group’s claim to find the summoner. Another roguish man. Worn by time or battles she could not dream of.

Hello, She offered hushed but warm. Tail twitched at temptation of a wag, but she remained composed for now. Might I help you?
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
the figure that arrived was tiny and elfin, with a pair of verdant eyes that fixed curiously upon him. "hello, frau," mahler murmured in a matchingly quiet tone, dipping his broad scarred muzzle toward her. "i am mahler, of rivenvood. i seek vintersbane, for ve have known each other a long vhile."
enough to lead together, to break bread together. family.
had he known that the man was turned away by wylla, mahler might have sought this meeting far earlier.
149 Posts
Ooc — landry
Mahler of Rivenvood.

She wondered, momentarily, if it was possible he had come to the same fate that had sent Wintersbane into this place. Yet she doubted it heavily. There were old scars upon him and he did not smell of how the winter man had upon their meeting. Which meant he came from somewhere else. This Rivenvood, untouched by the tragedy that her leader had suffered recently.

Yet they were bonded in other ways. Old friends. Old something, if she was to not assume the status that this was a friendly thing.

Oh, he ought to be here soon. She assured him with a timid smile. It was not her place to openly disclose the state of him. Such could be exposed and discussed when the man arrived.

Iana. A bit ditzy in her forgetfulness of introductions. They went two ways. Might I...ask of this Rivenvood? Accidentally mimicked his accent for she did not realize it’s true name. But her brain was fixed more on the fact that perhaps they had a proper medic that she could ask more of.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
iana. perfectly fitting. he had always suspected that wintersbane had been drawn off by the appeal of last season, and now as the second one crept on, he could not help wondering who the warrior had chosen. or if he had kept that choice until this year. aware that he was gossiping inside his own head, mahler set his stoneflower gaze upon iana, and settled himself into a more relaxed position upon his haunches.
he would stand when wintersbane arrived.
"vell, this accent gets in the vay," he said with a chuckle. "he vill know us as sagtannet," not revealing the man's connection in case he had chosen this glacier to start anew. "ve have recently came from the taiga, and have a month past taken noctisardor bypass for ourselves. it is my children and i, along vith others i have gathered since the great blizzard."
149 Posts
Ooc — landry
The history stretched back far enough to have a different name, or simply they went by multiple names? Iana still had much to learn about those who lived in these vast lands. Not that she had traveled much beyond the glacier after she swept Wintersbane (or was it the other way around?) into her medical care.

It sounds homey. Warmth in her hushed voice for it. A home with his own children. She often dreamed of such, as aging wolves were prone to do, and it was comforting to know such a thing was out there. Even if it was not her own.

Mind my curiosity... She trailed off lazily before she stole a longer look at his rugged face. Might you have a medic amongst you? I hold hopes of finding someone who might have more than I can find here and would not mind lending some. Then she realizes how that makes her sound. Selfish, a thief. In an exchange, of course. Hastily tacked on.
1,335 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Master Warrior
it is surprise that takes hold of wintersbane as he rouses from sleep, shifting his injured leg carefully in the space of the cavern he's claimed for himself; at the sound of mahler's howl rising for him. it take him some time, from stiffness and from healing wound, to limp his way out of the tunnels and through the heavy snows that blanket the glacier's forested floor. yet, he arrives eventually to find that iana has already greeted mahler and the two are in deep discussion.

not wishing to interrupt rudely, wintersbane lets out a low chuff to announce his presence to the two, drawing up to iana's side and settling with a small snort to hide the hiss of pain, carefully; placing his weight upon his right hind leg.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
a pleased look graced the craggy features. "i have been a medic for many years, and a skilled midvife to boot." mahler studied the woman a moment, for she asked to exchange stores. while he had managed to salvage many dried things from his carrying-skin, the gargoyle was unsure if what the she-wolf sought would be present. or if he wished to grant it just yet, with rivenwood still finding their footing upon the bypass.
he did not have to decide, however, for wintersbane appeared then, and mahler's shrewd gaze flicked over the man's gait as he rose. "it has been a long time, my friend," the graf grunted, a smile crossing his mouth. "i vas telling your companion that sagtannet has become rivenvood, and ve are settled in noctisardor, just south of you."
mahler remained unsure of how wintersbane would take to his once co-leader being so close, but he chose not to assume the worst of things before he had a true chance to speak with the duskfire wolf.
149 Posts
Ooc — landry
Can likely be skipped unless spoken to/interacted with :)

A medic and a midwife!

She had not had the honor of the second duty. However it made sense for him. In a home with his own children surely he had seen the scenes that required a midwife.

She might have pried for more stories or information, but the man of the hour was upon them. His summons a familiar sound to her by now. So she sought to silence her presence. A thoughtful glance given to Wintersbane at his wince.

She would need to find something helpful for his pain soon.
1,335 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Master Warrior
indeed, it has. wintersbane returns mahler's greeting with acknowledgement. he was unsure if mahler would hold the same disdain towards him as wylla did, but takes his presence here and now — and the lack of annoyance in his tone ( and the use of the word 'friend' ) — to mean that he did not. surprise lifts wintersbane's brows for a moment to hear that sagtannet has become 'rivenwood' and that they've relocated to the bypass; but that was the nature of packs, he knows. not all territories fit the demographic and prey wasn't always abundant with the seasons.

i am glad that it is still going strong. wintersbane speaks with earnest. duskfire glacier is not established yet and does not have much to offer but i would like to offer an alliance all the same. it felt empty and hollow without much to offer but surely as more joined the glacier's ranks and wintersbane could work on an elaboration.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
"and i am happy to accept." he trusted wintersbane to keep his word, and even if the year wore on without it, mahler had no reason to be adamant about such things. such shifts might only happen if the glacier-wolf meant to move against his own lands. but they were established, and wintersbane still found his way.
"the valley," he gestured, motioning in the direction of the slopes that would become carpeted with bitterroot blooms in the coming seasons. "reindeer rest there after foraging the bracken voods. i propose a hunt vhen the vinter has become more manageable, all of us."
"in the interim, i have time to study vith another healer." lavender eyes shifted warmly to iana, but his attention truly was for wintersbane, and he waited to hear what the greyblue man would make of his offer.
149 Posts
Ooc — landry
She did not miss the little offer tacked on as lavender eyes found her own mint ones. The offer warmed her and endeared her even further to this friend of Wintersbane.

However it was the latter that she looked towards for guidance on this. As much as she considered herself a free creature, she was truly tied here. Not keen to let the tundrian man be alone too long without her around on call. Yet this could also be a pivotal moment for the both of them.

What if she could learn a way to heal him more efficiently?
1,335 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Master Warrior
mahler's acceptance settles warm in wintersbane's chest where it lingers; it is good to know that while he has made his fair share of enemies ( even recently ), he still has friends in the wilds. glacial gaze is cast upon the valley where mahler gestures, tucking away the information of the reindeer that have made their home there. a joint hunt, wintersbane hums in rasping approval. sounds wonderful. and beneficial to both of them. with that many wolves they could possibly hunt two of them instead of just one and split the spoils between the packs.

wintersbane's gaze flickers from mahler to iana and back again. if iana wishes to learn from you, that is her choice. wintersbane wasn't going to take the opportunity from her while it presents itself; in fact he encourages it if it is something she wishes to do.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
the choosing fell solely to iana. mahler flicked a charcoal ear. he wondered how the small woman had been treating his brother's clear injury. had there been more signs of blood, he might have insisted he bring back his herbs, but wintersbane was in good care with this one, the gargoyle felt.
149 Posts
Ooc — landry
She would, without hesitation now, already have an answer.

Yes. A breathy sort of answer as her tail wiggled at her ankles with some muted excitement. Please. She tacked on with soft and sheepish laughter. Her excitement had nearly carried off her manners. She did not wish to be rude in the face of an old friend (of Wintersbane) and a new teacher.
1,335 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Master Warrior
there is a silence that settles over them, between them as the two men seemingly await iana's decision on mahler's offer. she agrees and wintersbane cannot say he is surprised. he is glad that mahler's knowledge — some of it at the very least — can be passed on to iana, whom has, as far as wintersbane's concerned, has been doing a fine job of looking after his wound.

a soft smile plays at the edges of wintersbane's scarred lips and he carefully shifts his weight. if you ever need anything from me, mahler, you are always welcome to call. you and yours are welcome here. wintersbane informs, figuring it was better not to assume that it was one of those things that went unsaid but was nevertheless true.

i'll let you two continue on, he has no mind for medicinal things and thought it was better to take his exit. it was good to see you again, brother. he tells mahler with a dip of his head before he limps away, back to his patrol.

seemed like a good place for wintersbane to make his exit!
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
mahler inclined his head as wintersbane took his leave. "likevise." a warm lilac stare followed the man until the departing was finished, and then the gargoyle set his gaze back upon iana. the eagerness in her voice had not been overlooked, stirring his own plume into an answering sway. "there is a place not so far from here that is home to nearly a half dozen herbs that i can recall," he revealed, thinking of the little cache in the middle of the densewood.
"even in autumn. duskfire is vell placed to grant you access." he was not certain that wintersbane could spare her for now, but that choice belonged to iana. if their meet over plants must wait or be one-sided, such was allowable. he would be content to remain here upon the border in conversation.
149 Posts
Ooc — landry
Sorry for the wait, can maybe close here or on yours? <3

Wintersbane took his leave and that left her with her new...teacher. A fine and friendly man he seemed. If her tundra leader trusted him, so did she. Although she also felt charmed by him and his knowledgeable ways.

Perhaps we can go for a quick visit? If you have the time. A gentle sway to her pale tail. At the very least, she could see the place he spoke of and perhaps set up a proper time to visit it. They could gather herbs together, he might bless her with more knowledge.

All of this thought of in a whimsical way.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
<3

mahler's mouth quirked in a quick smile. "of course, frau," he told her softly, stepping from duskfire's borders with first steps carrying him in the direction of the cache. he set a pleasant traipse for them, mindful of his longer strides, and attentive to the things that iana might say.
here a question, here an answer; here he asked, here he listened. two physicians entranced by the ailments of their world, determined to master a knowledge that was theirs to share, for the time being.