Redsand Canyon Adelfós
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
Arsenio hummed merrily on his patrol of their claimed territory. Even the chill of the winter air could not break through his happy features.

Days had passed since they had fled the mesa. Tamar had been placed in a quiet den with furs and soft items. The mercenary had even hunted for flower petals so that it might be fragranced to her liking. Arsenio had set himself to work in the ways of a soldier. He patrolled the borders, searched the distant terrain for signs of outsiders, and hunted to fill their stocks.

As he made his rounds upon the edge of the canyon, Arsenio kept his eyes trained for @Germanicus. He enjoyed his time with the Roman man. It would be nice to have company while he completed his tasks.
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
more and more germanicus thought of the children that might be born to he and ruenna. 

and the eagle was discovering a trepidation not befitting an imperator. he was unsure of fatherhood. the captains and centurions of his father's army had reared him. not the man himself. 

as usual, germanicus kept these things close to heart. today he spotted the blue eyes and red fur of arsenio. he veered into step with the former mercenary.

"soon it will be time to assess the auxilia for a promotion." this included the other man himself. the eagle continued their step.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The Roman approached with words upon his lips.

Germanicus believed that it would be time for promotions among the soldiers. The Greek man shifted his gaze to the grey-worn muzzle of the Imperator. He frowned thoughtfully, wondering what such a position might look like inside of Mereo. He wondered, too, if the Roman had an eye on anyone for such roles.

There are many soldiers here. The men are dutiful, quiet, distant. Have you spoken to the lady Aquene? She is kind and good. She has made a purpose for herself with medicines. Are promotions to exist only for soldiers?

The Greek watched the Imperator carefully, wondering what Germanicus thought of the wolves he had gathered. Mereo was strong, yes, but was their strength in the brawn of their soldiers or the skills of their women? Arsenio could not say, for sure.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"would you rearrange my hierarchy again after lady ruenna has done the same?" but the eagle was not truly annoyed. his yellowpaint eyes were even amused as he turned them away from arsenio and back to their trail. "aquene has been invited to join the auxillia. i think her skills with medicine would be invaluable in conflict."

"the matter of plebians rising in the ranks is an affair best left to the matrona," germanicus answered at last. he did not want to overstep his wife, for they were equals.

"i am going to be visiting akashingo soon. mereo will need you in an acting role while i am gone."
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Ah, the Greek man exclaimed and then laughed.

No, no, I do not wish to arrange your ranks, Roman. I am only sharing my thoughts on the wolves you have gathered here.

Arsenio thought it was what he wanted to hear, that the mercenary was getting to know the others in Mereo, that he was making himself known to the wolves who expected to be soldiers. Hearing that the woman Aquene was working toward the Auxillary ranks was pleasing enough. The Greek man did not have any wishes beyond seeing that she got the respect she deserved.

When Germanicus mentioned that he would be leaving to return to Akashingo, Arsenio’s fur bristled slightly. He did not like the idea that the Imperator would need to return to the mesa, would need to play games with the Pharaoh. Arsenio did not like it because he could not understand it.

I will remain vigilant, Germanikos. You do not have anything to worry about.

The redstone wolf offered a toothy grin.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"i am glad you think highly of her. i share your opinion."

he had not missed arsenio's slight glissade of disapproval.

"i must see crowfeather again," he said softly. "and i must know what the pharaoh is planning. you know he is a man with eternal schemes. i do not intend for mereo to be one of them."

a small silence. "and if we are both to be fathers this is doubly important."
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
It was good to hear that Germanicus shared his thoughts. Arsenio trusted his opinions, believed that he was a fitting leader for Mereo. It would not have looked good if his thoughts on the members were different from the Roman’s. But then, why would he have offered a place in his ranks? Her worth had been seen, surely. He did not need to worry.

I do not know if he has the power to cause much trickery here, Germanikos. The Mazoi were thin before we departed. Unless he has gathered more to fill his ranks, there are only Fellahin upon the mesa and perhaps an odd fighter.

Arsenio still wondered if Ramesses had plans to cause trouble in the canyon. The Roman had seemed certain that he would not be a branch of the Pharaoh’s entitled claims. He could not quite shake the unease that he felt. What could the Pharaoh really do to them? 

He thought of Tamar and the future of their family. Arsenio believed he would rest easier if the Pharaoh's life were taken.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus shook his head. "i do not think he will raise an army against us. ramesses enjoys the game of politics. we are his outpost, he believes. he will test our loyalty with requests. and he may seek to build his own alliances outside of mereo."

it was an ugly diversion. the eagle was glad that his brother had been chosen for court and himself for the legion.

"you hate him." an observation and more than likely an obvious one. he wanted arsenio to speak aloud of this.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Arsenio scoffed.

Of course I do.

The response was easier than the stiffness in his shoulders and back. The man’s blue eyes found Germanicus’ face and held it. Arsenio did not have a reason to lie to the Roman. They had done enough in their time together for him to know.

The man does not give many parts to love, you know. He has lovely eyes, but when there is toxin and bile that boils underneath, ehh, the mercenary shook his coat, as though he could feel the Pharaoh’s gaze upon his back. Arsenio wished that he could approach the subject of Ramesses with a quick grin and a shrug of his shoulders, but the Pharaoh had been tainted in his mind.

Does it bother you, Roman? That I hate Ramesses.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"your feeling does not bother me. but hatred is often something that runs deep and runs hot. i do not want it to lead you to destruction, arsenio."

arsenio was correct about ramesses. and yet fewer akashingo may be, but he had seen their level of devotion to the egyptian. it was not impossible that they would all defend him and kill a threat to their godhead.

he did not want arsenio to be this sacrifice.

"besides. i want you for a warrior here. i think you have much to teach the others."
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Arsenio shrugged his shoulders.

Hatred was a powerful driver to many souls. He had felt it before and had chased after the quelling of such burning emotions. It had not cost him his life in those instances, so he could not fathom how he might be at risk against Ramesses.

Germanicus went on to say that he would like for Arsenio to be a warrior in Mereo. The mercenary regarded him from the edge of his gaze before he nodded softly.

Yes, I will be working toward my role here soon enough. I think Tamar has settled into the canyon and she is making friends. This is good. We could have a future here. It would all depend on how well they could keep their territory safe and how easily their children could live. Arsenio would not have a single one of them find their way to Ramesses and his mesa.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"i think that your future here was assured long ago, old friend." not so old, either of them, but with a bond already tested. a wry look touched the imperator's face. 

"romaíoi stratiótes anazitoún ellinídes ieródoules, allá ellines misthofóroi anazitoún romaíes syzýgous." a ribald saying, one he would never repeat before his wife or any other woman for that matter.

but it was the meeting of their cultures, something humorous that the egyptian had hated about them both. germanicus moved on, the lines of his face softening into warmth.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The red wolf smiled at the other man’s remark. Then laughed at the saying that followed. Arsenio felt his place in Mereo was assured, too. He felt pleased for the first time in a long time. Tamar, a home, a purpose to the restlessness within him – Mereo was good. It was a great deal better than whatever horrid cloud had hung over his head in Akashingo.

You are a good man, Roman. Your outpost will prosper beneath your strength.

Arsenio spoke with words that left no room for question, no pause for self-depreciation. The chilling blue of his eyes were firm on Germanicus’ face. The redstone mercenary would remain for as long as he could. If Tamar was happy and free, if he had the company of like-minded men and women, if he could know peace… he would stay.

We can totally fade this out? I know it's been sitting around for a while.